I want to play Casual mode, but still want a challenge

Basically, I hate spending an hour going through a level and dying at the last second due to an unlucky crit.  But I also hate soloing a map with a single character who can't get touched.

I tried playing with Casual on Hard in Awakening, and remember that my Myrmidon couldn't be touched after he reached lv20 and I reclassed him to a thief.  Then I did the same in Fates, and I would lose my Knight to archers.

So, what difficulty should I play this game on?  One where I can get through most maps without resetting too often, but still have to struggle strategically to do so?

Do what I do - play Casual, but use the battle saves so that you don't have to start from the beginning of the map when you reset. Makes it like Radiant Dawn, or the DS games.

There's also this new feature called Mila's Turnwheel that allows you to rewind a turn, which may alleviate some of your concerns.

Edited by The Awesomest

2 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Since Turnwheel is in this game, I don't think you even need to play Casual mode anymore, honestly.

as someone who's playing the Japanese version, you'll still want to

this game is really luck reliant to get through the tougher spots

2 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

as someone who's playing the Japanese version, you'll still want to

this game is really luck reliant to get through the tougher spots

I played through the whole game through Hard/Classic blind, and I used the Turnwheel mostly against random summon enemies and Witch warps. It was fine. That one desert map with the Archers sucked, but at that time I still held off on using the Wheel; didn't start until Geese's actual fort.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

I play Casual mode for that reason too, but I'm planning on playing classic and using Mila's turnwheel as a challenge. You can also play casual limiting the amount of unit deaths or just resetting when someone dies but reload an earlier battle save.

There's no reason not to use casual mode if you're going to reset after every death anyway. I never understood people that put that limitation in fates when you forgo battle saves, especially in those chapters that had two maps in a row.

20 minutes ago, Reflex said:

There's no reason not to use casual mode if you're going to reset after every death anyway. I never understood people that put that limitation in fates when you forgo battle saves, especially in those chapters that had two maps in a row.

Well that's the point in using Classic mode, isn't it? Be extremely careful with your units and your strategy, or else your 30-60 minutes of play time with be for naught due to you having to reset. While you can say "I'll just reset if a unit retreats on Casual", most people don't have the self-control to force themselves to redo the entire level. I have played Classic and will never go to Casual, but I still reset if a unit dies, of course. Its a slippery slope from saying "I'll reset if a unit dies on Casual" to "Fuck it, I don't want to reset, I'm gonna get back my unit after the battle anyway". Sure, people like to bitch about "muh 1% crits", but seriously. At most, a really unlucky critical will happen to you maybe 1-3 times on any given playthrough. And now, we even have Mila's Turnwheel to counteract that! Honestly, I don't care too much about it, but there is no reason for there to be a Casual mode anymore (unless you're one of those people who really, really sucks at Fire Emblem or you have only 30 minutes a day to play it).

Edited by Lord Raymond

5 hours ago, Lord Raymond said:

Well that's the point in using Classic mode, isn't it? Be extremely careful with your units and your strategy, or else your 30-60 minutes of play time with be for naught due to you having to reset. While you can say "I'll just reset if a unit retreats on Casual", most people don't have the self-control to force themselves to redo the entire level. I have played Classic and will never go to Casual, but I still reset if a unit dies, of course. Its a slippery slope from saying "I'll reset if a unit dies on Casual" to "Fuck it, I don't want to reset, I'm gonna get back my unit after the battle anyway". Sure, people like to bitch about "muh 1% crits", but seriously. At most, a really unlucky critical will happen to you maybe 1-3 times on any given playthrough. And now, we even have Mila's Turnwheel to counteract that! Honestly, I don't care too much about it, but there is no reason for there to be a Casual mode anymore (unless you're one of those people who really, really sucks at Fire Emblem or you have only 30 minutes a day to play it).

Uh the reason for casual is for casual players and for people who don't want to start over a map, plus Mila wheel only has a limited usage. You sound like one of those fans who complain about casual mode.

Not wanting to start over a map when [a unit dies] isn't just for """casuals""", classic players have that option too, even if they, more oft than not, don't. But I didn't come here to reignite this classic/casual bullshit.

14 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I played through the whole game through Hard/Classic blind, and I used the Turnwheel mostly against random summon enemies and Witch warps. It was fine. That one desert map with the Archers sucked, but at that time I still held off on using the Wheel; didn't start until Geese's actual fort.

Same here. Though I managed to never use the Turnwheel(Kinda put off by rewinds) except for that one fight... in fact, I'm almost convinced the Turnwheel was made specifically for that chapter... rather, that fight.

8 hours ago, mikethepokemaster said:

Uh the reason for casual is for casual players and for people who don't want to start over a map, plus Mila wheel only has a limited usage. You sound like one of those fans who complain about casual mode.

You're missing my point. I was responding to the  false thing that people say to Classic players, which is "you might as well do Casual mode if you restart every time a unit dies." I don't want to start up a Classic/Casual Debate, I just wanted to make it clear that that statement is false.

7 hours ago, Soledai said:

Same here. Though I managed to never use the Turnwheel(Kinda put off by rewinds) except for that one fight... in fact, I'm almost convinced the Turnwheel was made specifically for that chapter... rather, that fight.

Spoiler

Chapter 6? If so, I agree wholeheartedly. I don't think you can beat Grima without Turnwheel unless the reinforcement pattern extremely favors you; no matter what team you bring, there are combos almost unwinnable.

I just looked through the general questions thread.  It seems like this game is actually pretty hard.  I get really frustrated when I play perfectly for an hour and am forced to reset through some minor mistake.  I'm just going to play on Normal and hope that my characters don't turn into solo machines.