Do you think 8-4 will do localization?

7 hours ago, AmericanBuizel said:

Maybe you don't understand how business' work? Here's the thing, these companies require money to keep giving us products. If they don't get our hard earned money, they can't keep pandering to SJWs (who don't even buy these games anyway I might add). Therefore, if we stop giving them money, they'll have no choice but to either 1. Go bankrupt and close down or 2. Be humble and listen to us and stop this bullshit. 

Except that is not how business works. If people stop buying a localized version of a game, but they see that the Japanese one is doing strong they will just stop localizing the games entirely. There is no point in wasting all that money if nobody is going to buy it after all. Also, FE may be making them large amounts of money now but they are hardly the biggest money makers for them. Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon are. So them not localizing the games will just put FE back into a niche category and right back on its deathbed.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, AmericanBuizel said:

Maybe you don't understand how business' work? Here's the thing, these companies require money to keep giving us products. If they don't get our hard earned money, they can't keep pandering to SJWs (who don't even buy these games anyway I might add). Therefore, if we stop giving them money, they'll have no choice but to either 1. Go bankrupt and close down or 2. Be humble and listen to us and stop this bullshit. 

1.) Stop calling everyone SJWs, my god.

2.) They wouldn't go bankrupt, they'd probably just stop releasing games in the west or stop making games for the series in general. (Well, that and I doubt a hundred or so butt-hurt fans will significantly put a dent in their profits)

9 hours ago, AmericanBuizel said:

Maybe I didn't phrase things as best as I could. I meant to say that if there's a game that captures our interest, but the company that localized it butchered it completely by pandering to SJWs, we should just either buy or pirate the Japanese version with fan translations so we can let them know that we don't want these SJWs affecting our games anymore, or else we're just going to keep doing this. 

3.) No, don't even suggest pirating. Just straight-up buy the JP version.

5 hours ago, AmericanBuizel said:

whenever NoA themselves localize a JRPG, the english VA turns out to be mediocre at best

4.) You don't give English VAs enough credit. If you're mainly directing this at Fates, then that may be because they hired a lot of newer VAs for that game - some of which did excellent while others did not. (@Siegbert)

Memes aren't the only problem, there's complete script changes, changing plot points, character personality changes, pandering to SJWs, etc. Besides, piracy is always an option.

5.) And you can be upset about that, but if you don't have to pirate, then don't.

6.) Again with calling everyone SJWs. People can be bothered by something and don't have to be a "SJW."

If it wasn't, then explain all the people that did pirate Fates and also explain how I was able to play Mother 3 :^)

7.) Most people didn't pirate Fates? I know people used the fans-translation mod on the English version, but if they didn't buy that version in the first place then they bought the JP one.

8.) As for Mother 3, I don't approve of pirating but if you can't access the game in the first place then I'm not heavily bothered. But for Fates, Echoes, etc. you CAN access them and you CAN buy them, so there's no reason to pirate them.

Edited by SuperIb

6 hours ago, AmericanBuizel said:

Besides, piracy is always an option. If it wasn't, then explain all the people that did pirate Fates and also explain how I was able to play Mother 3 :^)

Like Superlb said, don't you damn say piracy is an option. It's a crime and a spit in the face in the people who made all the effort to create all those graphics, animations, etc. Stuff that had nothing to do with the localization. And I'm suspicious of there even being a high amount of people that pirated Fates, but if there are, they're labeled as people engaging in frowned-upon activity. Simple as that.

*eats popcorn*

At this point AmericanBuizel is pretty much the butt of a joke whenever it comes to localization or Fates in some circles in the FE fandom.

His responses to things are so notorious for their extremism that even some people who were initially against the localization of FE14 have distanced themselves from his crusade.

6 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

His responses to things are so notorious for their extremism that even some people who were initially against the localization of FE14 have distanced themselves from his crusade.

Hahaha I can see why.

Oh well, we can't all be winners I guess.

2 hours ago, shadowofchaos said:

*eats popcorn*

At this point AmericanBuizel is pretty much the butt of a joke whenever it comes to localization or Fates in some circles in the FE fandom.

2 hours ago, SuperIb said:

Hahaha I can see why.

Oh well, we can't all be winners I guess.

I basically realized he had nothing of value to add to the conversation when he started using terms like "cuck" and "SJW" unironically.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2017 at 2:23 PM, NinjaMonkey said:

I think that Nintendo of Europe will be doing the European translation.

Remember Fire Emblem Fates, Xenoblade X, etc (not counting France, Italy, etc.)?

On a different note, look at what Treehouse is doing to Xenoblade 2, they're forcing Monolith Soft to change shit and they'll do the same to FE Switch http://operationrainfall.com/2017/06/16/monolith-localisation-xenoblade-x-2/

>"Yokota states that all three companies are communicating about localisation decisions that may prove to be controversial." 

>"Jokingly, I said, ‘Well would it help if we had a crotch slider for the male?’ Obviously it was a joke, but they responded obviously it’s not gonna work out." 

This just proves that not only are Treehouse full of liberal cucks who can't take a joke, but now they're forcing their beliefs down monolith's throats and ours. The same thing is going to happen to FE Switch. Mark my words. 

46 minutes ago, AmericanBuizel said:

Remember Fire Emblem Fates, Xenoblade X, etc (not counting France, Italy, etc.)?

On a different note, look at what Treehouse is doing to Xenoblade 2, they're forcing Monolith Soft to change shit and they'll do the same to FE Switch http://operationrainfall.com/2017/06/16/monolith-localisation-xenoblade-x-2/

>"Yokota states that all three companies are communicating about localisation decisions that may prove to be controversial." 

>"Jokingly, I said, ‘Well would it help if we had a crotch slider for the male?’ Obviously it was a joke, but they responded obviously it’s not gonna work out." 

This just proves that not only are Treehouse full of liberal cucks who can't take a joke, but now they're forcing their beliefs down monolith's throats and ours. The same thing is going to happen to FE Switch. Mark my words. 

I feel you are taking that quote out of context a bit.

However, that DOESN'T diminish the argument of them shoving beliefs down throats, as much as that is an exaggeration. They are indeed pushing their own beliefs, their PERSONAL beliefs on to developers that have a very different set of beliefs, who understand that there is that difference.

For X, the game was basically done when the localisation started, so that other quote from there, about them working together while the game is being developed is ONLY going to be relevant for Xenoblade 2.

This interview IS a sign that the localisation teams hold a hell of a lot more sway over the end product then people realise, both in its original release AND the overseas localisation.

The fact that they have so much sway over developers is honestly concerning since it is more than likely this will lead to a product being messed with on both ends.

I DO think this is somewhat irrelevant for the Switch title though. This isn't relevant to IS, since we haven't gotten an interview regarding the localisation process of Fates or Echoes.

The fact that we've gotten so little info on what actually happened to result in Fates' localised script seeming as though half of it was written by people who wanted to bring over the script, and half of it was written by people who didn't care very much and made whatever changes they personally felt necessary to make the script better in their eyes, rather than focusing on the story being released in English, is honestly very suspicious in my eyes.

I'm HOPING NoA and Treehouse are simply trying to sweep whatever the hell happened with the localisation process of Fates to result in such a dissonant script in places under the rug and move on, knowing full well that people hate censorship and alterations to the games they pay for, in any way, shape, or form.

I do think the way you articulate your points is odd, though. Anger never wins over anyone tbh. Cold logic wins out on the internet over calling people names, as much as I would love to vent about this subject.

On a side note, seriously what the hell was up with some of those changes to Fates' script? Some were understandable (I still hate them, but I understand them) and others make no sense in or out of context.

Edited by DaloDask

1 hour ago, DaloDask said:

I'm HOPING NoA and Treehouse are simply trying to sweep whatever the hell happened with the localisation process of Fates to result in such a dissonant script in places under the rug and move on, knowing full well that people hate censorship and alterations to the games they pay for, in any way, shape, or form.

I do think the way you articulate your points is odd, though. Anger never wins over anyone tbh. Cold logic wins out on the internet over calling people names, as much as I would love to vent about this subject.

On a side note, seriously what the hell was up with some of those changes to Fates' script? Some were understandable (I still hate them, but I understand them) and others make no sense in or out of context.

I highly doubt it, considering there haven't been more firings/re-structuring at NoA and Treehouse.

I do tend to get kind of pissed off in my points, mainly because I used to love this company, and I mean I LOVED it to the point that I was even considering getting a job there one day. And to see a childhood company I loved (which provided me countless hours of entertainment, even through some very dark times throughout previous chapters in my life) just pains me to see the direction they're going in now (be it localization, or otherwise). And yes, I tend to blame the fans that support this direction and NoA's practices because they keep putting money in their wallets. All I am is just a passionate fan that want's to see one of his favorite companies as a kid get better and stop all the bullshit they're doing. Remember, money is what makes them keep doing it and the moment they don't get a dime anymore, the moment they'll stop. (Hell, it's the reason I follow people like Shokio, BlackB0nd, TheBalishChannel, etc on YT even if I don't always agree with them).

50 minutes ago, AmericanBuizel said:

I highly doubt it, considering there haven't been more firings/re-structuring at NoA and Treehouse.

I do tend to get kind of pissed off in my points, mainly because I used to love this company, and I mean I LOVED it to the point that I was even considering getting a job there one day. And to see a childhood company I loved (which provided me countless hours of entertainment, even through some very dark times throughout previous chapters in my life) just pains me to see the direction they're going in now (be it localization, or otherwise). And yes, I tend to blame the fans that support this direction and NoA's practices because they keep putting money in their wallets. All I am is just a passionate fan that want's to see one of his favorite companies as a kid get better and stop all the bullshit they're doing. Remember, money is what makes them keep doing it and the moment they don't get a dime anymore, the moment they'll stop. (Hell, it's the reason I follow people like Shokio, BlackB0nd, TheBalishChannel, etc on YT even if I don't always agree with them).

Even if the "side" you were on was right, that doesn't change the fact that nobody will listen to someone who is the living incarnation of the "Autistically Screeching" meme, seriously, as shadowofchaos said, when you make other people with similar stances as yours stop believing in those stances because of what you say, you know you're an idiot, i mean, Jesus, who the fuck takes someone who says "Cuck" unironically seriously?

Edited by OakTree

Ugh I know I am going to get hate for this, but I'm actually kind of happy this is becoming a thing. If a series like Xenoblade can get a worldwide release then that means FE Switch might have a similar worldwide release, and if the only thing lost in the localization/development process is some more sexual costumes and such then I'm cool with it. The fact of the matter is that different countries have different rules in regards to what will cause them to up the rating on a video game. Then you have different companies wanting different franchises to stay within certain ratings so they have to change or remove some stuff in development to hit that rating. Nintendo seems to want Fire Emblem to stay within a T-rating worldwide. I think this holds the series back somewhat but that is a topic for another time. This need to keep it to a T-rating is probably the reason why the blood in SoV was made white, and the reason why Treehouse took out the boob slider and Lyn's bikini in XCX. The fact is that different markets and cultures like different things and it isn't as easy as just bringing over the original and subtitling it because that will definitely lead to some lost sales in a series that has broken out of its niche and entered the mainstream attention of the public.

A big benefit I can see from this applying to the FE Switch localization is how we are probably going to get the same scripts and characters from the Japanese version without any drastic differences. I'm talking no more Henry's, Hisame's, or that BerukaxSaizo convo that everybody always talks about. Because most of the localization has already been done before the game has finished developing everybody will get the same thing with very minor differences, and that is if there are any at all. I think people are overreacting to how much the localization can actually affect the finished product. At most we might eventually get an artbook where we see that someone's costume has changed in development, or a developer interview where they mention something specific but that is it. The original story, the original characters, the original developers actual vision is not going to be harmed and honestly rarely when it comes to these types of changes made. People just want to get the same exact game as the original one, and I completely understand that. The thing is, what Monolith is doing with the localizers is the best way that it will happen because anything that would cause "controversy" is being changed during development.

Well that is my 2 cents on the matter.

I might get hate for this, I personally don't think Fates's translation was even that bad. I mean, it wasn't good but it wasn't absolutely terrible. Maybe it's just me being from a country where localisations are a) amazing b) just english ports where only the box art is slightly altered c) just really really bad. Of course things are going to be altered. For example, the translations of Donald Duck comics (believe it or not) are highly regarded around here and they change names, jokes and some times even scripts to fit the culture better. But I do agree that 8-4 is better than Treehouse since they are much better at keeping a consistent tone. Treehouse might be better suited to translating more light-hearted games.

All in all, I just want to play the game.

On 7/4/2017 at 9:59 AM, YingofDarkness said:

Ugh I know I am going to get hate for this, but I'm actually kind of happy this is becoming a thing. If a series like Xenoblade can get a worldwide release then that means FE Switch might have a similar worldwide release, and if the only thing lost in the localization/development process is some more sexual costumes and such then I'm cool with it. The fact of the matter is that different countries have different rules in regards to what will cause them to up the rating on a video game. Then you have different companies wanting different franchises to stay within certain ratings so they have to change or remove some stuff in development to hit that rating. Nintendo seems to want Fire Emblem to stay within a T-rating worldwide. I think this holds the series back somewhat but that is a topic for another time. This need to keep it to a T-rating is probably the reason why the blood in SoV was made white, and the reason why Treehouse took out the boob slider and Lyn's bikini in XCX. The fact is that different markets and cultures like different things and it isn't as easy as just bringing over the original and subtitling it because that will definitely lead to some lost sales in a series that has broken out of its niche and entered the mainstream attention of the public.

A big benefit I can see from this applying to the FE Switch localization is how we are probably going to get the same scripts and characters from the Japanese version without any drastic differences. I'm talking no more Henry's, Hisame's, or that BerukaxSaizo convo that everybody always talks about. Because most of the localization has already been done before the game has finished developing everybody will get the same thing with very minor differences, and that is if there are any at all. I think people are overreacting to how much the localization can actually affect the finished product. At most we might eventually get an artbook where we see that someone's costume has changed in development, or a developer interview where they mention something specific but that is it. The original story, the original characters, the original developers actual vision is not going to be harmed and honestly rarely when it comes to these types of changes made. People just want to get the same exact game as the original one, and I completely understand that. The thing is, what Monolith is doing with the localizers is the best way that it will happen because anything that would cause "controversy" is being changed during development.

Well that is my 2 cents on the matter.

It's not even the sexual costumes I'm worried will get affected, it's the dialogue, character personalities, plot points, etc. I'm afraid that they'll do to Xenoblade 2 and FE Switch what they did to modern pokemon and dumb it down and make it more kid friendly. The reason I liked FE and Xenoblade to begin with were because they were more grown up and mature compared to Nintendo's other IPs. Besides, these cultures need to be challenged and franchises need to evolve. It's time for Fire Emblem to evolve and go M rated. Hell, the blood in SoV should've been red and NoA should never have gotten to it. I'm okay if they have to re-write some scripts like they do in "Jojo's bizarre adventure" for example, but the extent NoA does? That's going too far. 

We may not get changes overseas, but even then, treehouse is making the game shallow by forcing their bullshit onto the japanese devs. I'm just tired of the cringyness that Treehouse outputs and I'm tired of these shallow casual experiences. Treehouse can go suck one and NoA should just die off. 

1 hour ago, AmericanBuizel said:

It's not even the sexual costumes I'm worried will get affected, it's the dialogue, character personalities, plot points, etc. I'm afraid that they'll do to Xenoblade 2 and FE Switch what they did to modern pokemon and dumb it down and make it more kid friendly. The reason I liked FE and Xenoblade to begin with were because they were more grown up and mature compared to Nintendo's other IPs. Besides, these cultures need to be challenged and franchises need to evolve. It's time for Fire Emblem to evolve and go M rated. Hell, the blood in SoV should've been red and NoA should never have gotten to it. I'm okay if they have to re-write some scripts like they do in "Jojo's bizarre adventure" for example, but the extent NoA does? That's going too far. 

We may not get changes overseas, but even then, treehouse is making the game shallow by forcing their bullshit onto the japanese devs. I'm just tired of the cringyness that Treehouse outputs and I'm tired of these shallow casual experiences. Treehouse can go suck one and NoA should just die off. 

Fire Emblem doesn't need to go M-rated because that isn't their target audience. It'd be horrible marketing for what they have going so far; it'd be devolution and self-destructive to give a middle finger to the younger audience, new FE fans, old FE fans, or both. Oh no, white blood...so what? It's not as bad as what happened in Xenosaga III (and please don't spoil), and nothing to cry over. Oh, and the recent Pokemon game has a bunch of dark stuff in it for its rating, dunno where you are getting this belief of it being dumbed down and kid-friendly.

You keep ranting about wishing for NoA to die, Reggie to get fired, Treehouse to stop pandering to "SJWs" and "cucks", but...you come off as biased and angry and I can't feel bothered to agree. I agree that 8-4's localization work is superior, and Treehouse's localization of Fates was bad. But I cannot pretend NoA is the scum of the earth as you are. Treehouse may do better this time if there is a "this time" (although we likely disagree on what is "better"). Maybe NoA decides to rely on 8-4 yet again because of the praise of Echoes' localization (and yes, it's possible). We'll have to see, but for now, I'm not going to spit in NoA's faces.

Not that i want to get into this argument but

6 hours ago, AmericanBuizel said:

Hell, the blood in SoV should've been red

Except it is

Spoiler

Albein.png

The blood there is clearly red.

Anyway, that's all. I don't really give a damn about who localizes FE Switch or Xenoblade 2. I just want to play the games. And if the localizations bother you that much (which they shouldn't tbh), then just import. The Switch is region-free. Nothing's stopping you.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Not that i want to get into this argument but

Except it is

Reveal hidden contents

Albein.png

The blood there is clearly red.

Anyway, that's all. I don't really give a damn about who localizes FE Switch or Xenoblade 2. I just want to play the games. And if the localizations bother you that much (which they shouldn't tbh), then just import. The Switch is region-free. Nothing's stopping you.

I would import, except oh wait, Treehouse is FORCING Monolith and IS to change shit in ALL versions of the game and force their liberal bullshit agenda down our throats. So now, I can't even do that. Did you not read the article I posted earlier?

2 minutes ago, AmericanBuizel said:

I would import, except oh wait, Treehouse is FORCING Monolith and IS to change shit in ALL versions of the game and force their liberal bullshit agenda down our throats. So now, I can't even do that. Did you not read the article I posted earlier?

I did read the article. I read it long before you even posted it here. You misunderstand. The localization is happening at the same time as development, however, there will still be differences between the versions (which would mainly be just name changes and other miscellaneous things). Because honestly, have you seen Pyra's design? People are saying that's gonna get censored, but it won't, since Nintendo released her official artwork, and said artwork is in one of Xenoblade 2's menus (although seeing as how a lot of people are put off by her design, most probably won't complain about Pyra's design being censored, but then again, i said that about the petting mechanic in Fates and look what happened, so honestly, i don't care anymore).

Ok, as an example, imagine you and your classmate on working on a project. The project itself is individual work but you team up with a classmate to speed up the process. You and your classmate help each other out but the end result of the project is still the same, with minor differences between the two. That's basically the localization process of Xenoblade 2.

Anyway, i'm done here. I know i'm not going to convince you of anything because arguing with you is like having a political argument. Nothing gets anywhere, with one (or more) of the participants plugging their ears and refusing to listen to anything. I'm gonna go watch the Splatoon 2 Direct now. Have a nice day.

On 7/4/2017 at 5:20 AM, AmericanBuizel said:

This just proves that not only are Treehouse full of liberal cucks who can't take a joke, but now they're forcing their beliefs down monolith's throats and ours.

Is that like, your go-to thing to say about people/companies you don't like? I swear it's the only thing I see you call them. (I think it's been mentioned before, but people will probably take you a lot less seriously if you keep using insults like that, but you do you)

Anyways this entire argument seems to have gone on way too long and should've ended a while ago. I'd suggest just waiting for more information about the upcoming games and/or waiting for their release before assuming that they'll get ruined, that way people don't have to waste time on pointless speculation that's already been talked about in this thread! Maybe I'm out of line, (probably am a bit, I mean this is a public forum) but I really don't think this discussion matters (anymore) at all, but that's just me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯