Sword skills in Judgral games, and Master Knight in Thracia 776

NoMansLand

Hi!

I was messing around with Nightmare to make Veld harder than before, and I wanted to give him Sol to increase his tankiness. But will it proc? Through testing, Sol, Luna and Astra doesn't seem to work with non-swords in FE4, but is that the case for FE5 too? Of course, I could be wrong. Please help me. Thanks!

Also, is there a way to unglitch the Master Knight's name? I plan to make one or two playable in my easy mode hack, and the only bug seem to be the name being messed up in the profile screen. (I also plan to put unused spells like Falaflame back in, but I don't think I can fix those spell animations so I guess I'll let it be.)

FE5 works with anything because you can get manuals to teach the skills to anyone

the FE5 master knight just needs its name repointed

as for FE4 sword skills, there is a set of patches that fix that (check my FE4 stuff topic)

there is also a set of patches that re-inserts the dummied-out magic animations in FE5; the animation coding is still there, but the graphics are missing. the patch adds them back

FE5magicanimationfix.zip

if the patches don't work together, repointing would be necessary

Edited by Lamia

Thank you! I do have a few problems though. How do I repoint the Master Knight name in FE5? While I'm at it, how do I repoint in the first place? Do you have a tutorial on that? Maybe there is a way for me to do that, and rename weapons with the Shaya translation. I might need a step by step since I have very little experience with hex editing.

FE4 and FE5 use a shift-jis format for menu text, two bytes to define a 8x16 symbol

I have no experience with any FE5 patches so I can't guide you on how to change letters there

my FE4 stuff includes a list of menu text codes compatible with the j2e patch, which I cannot guarantee that any FE5 patch would use the same font layout as theirs

in order to repoint names, you have to find the list of pointers, which should be in order of character/class/item number (there is no nightmare reference module for these for FE5 afaik) and then write a two-byte pointer that adds that amount to the base address that the rest of the pointers use, in order to 'point' to where said data is in the ROM

e.g. a pointer of 14 A1 with a base of 3DE12 would be 3DE12 + A114 = the data point of 47F26, this is where the name should be

the GBA series has an extra step involved (numbered headers)

there's simpler stuff you could be starting out with if you're still new with the whole romhacking thing though

Edited by Lamia