Thoughts and opinions on Mila's Turnwheel?

On 20/5/2017 at 9:01 PM, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I've tried to do things like resetting a 90 hit rate that missed, and after five tries, that 90 missed every time. I've also tried to rig 43% crits, and it didn't work either. I don't think it's just bad luck either, since I've attempted these multiple times.

I can't remember if soft resetting a chapter also changed growths; I remember getting different level ups every time I had to reset a chapter.

If you are doing the exact same action of reset, the outcome will be same. You need change something to change the rng.

i like it, some enemies can really screw you over and lunatic will be less tedious.

14 minutes ago, SpearOfLies said:

If you are doing the exact same action of reset, the outcome will be same. You need change something to change the rng.

Yes, I already figured that out a month ago. I'm spitballing.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

I think This mechanism is quite helpful for most FE players. I played most of the games on pc and when I started to play on the 3ds it was quite painful to reset every time someone is dead (although it was pretty rare in Awakening and Fates). the fact of the matter is - most players reset when someone dyes to them. so it's helpful in that sense. there are too many uses in my opinion. 

I definitely like it, but it seems to be weird on how it affects RNG. It seems that the first time it will reset the RNG, but after that it doesn't change the outcome much, but then things like the Hex on the Shadow Sword does change. Furthermore, there are times where it won't change the RNG at all, I don't get it. Overall though, it is most welcome since you can go all the way back to the start of the map if you need to, and you can even go phase by phase, or unit by unit.

I like it a lot, actually. Sure as hell beats restarting whenever someone dies, that's for sure. I'd be lying if I said I haven't used it lol. I think the most I've ever used it was like, two or three times in one battle? Mostly due to me accidentally eating food items or clicking wait on people though, lmao.

I wouldn't mind seeing it return at all, but with less uses. I think I have 9 atm? If I'm being honest, that's a bit excessive. I think a more appropriate number would be 5 max. But again, it's a very nice and handy feature.

1 minute ago, SuperIb said:

I like it a lot, actually. Sure as hell beats restarting whenever someone dies, that's for sure. I'd be lying if I said I haven't used it lol. I think the most I've ever used it was like, two or three times in one battle? Mostly due to me accidentally eating food items or clicking wait on people though, lmao.

I wouldn't mind seeing it return at all, but with less uses. I think I have 9 atm? If I'm being honest, that's a bit excessive. I think a more appropriate number would be 5 max. But again, it's a very nice and handy feature.

In regards to how many uses you get, I think you have to remember something. This game has dungeons, and the counters don't reset until you go back to the World Map.

That's probably why they point in a decent amount of uses. Sure, it sounds like a lot for one Story Map, but when you have dungeons that can easily have at least 5-10 battles if not more, I think it's fair.

Just now, Sentinel07 said:

This game has dungeons, and the counters don't reset until you go back to the World Map.

Oh I know. I meant for future FE games.

I can imagine certain dungeons presenting... more challenges without having so many uses lol.

I think it should be limited in how many times it can be used. I think the 3 uses at start was pretty generous, but 9 times later on in the game feels like way too much. 

The main problem is that I am so used to pressing L + R + Select to reset the 3DS when a unit dies I have failed to realize Mila's Turn Wheel was a thing in this game.

Great mechanic, but it's uses need to be lowered a bit. I think not adding in more cogs and uses past the original 3-5 would be the best. Having 8 uses has just been insane, I never lose anyone. Keeping it down to 3 or so uses makes it a nice mechanic that can be used, but not so many uses where the danger of losing a character isnt present. Either that or it doesnt refresh uses on each map, and only refreshes when you reach a Mila Statue. That would of also fixed the issue.

Was skeptical at first--but it's grown on me. Its basically an emergency oh-hell-the-fuck-no button that saves you from having to restart and replay an entire lengthy chapter, when you get hit with bad RNG at the very end.

...Like last night...I had just come to the end of a particularly grueling battle that I had already restarted several times, towards the beginning, because I didn't have my strategy down yet and kept getting overwhelmed by the opening bum-rush.

Finally I made it to the end. Suppressed the rush. Cleared the worst of it. Gotten some lucky good level-ups. I'm at a point where I'll have the last of the enemies brought down in 1 more turn. I've got to thinking thank god; I don't have to do this again. 

...then I miss a 90% hit, and Tobin standing on a forest gets hit with two consecutive 30s. He dies. 

That's normally the point where you start cursing your game.

...I whipped out Mila's turnwheel. I spun back two turns. And I lol-noped that nonsense. 

That was the moment I was sold on Mila's turnwheel as a good mechanic.  

Edited by Shoblongoo

I think it's a bit too powerful as it is, but the idea behind it is fantastic. I think it's an even better solution than casual mode, because it still requires you to puzzle your way out of a situation but can potentially save hours of replays lost to runs of extreme luckscrew. It's the best of both worlds.

11 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

In regards to how many uses you get, I think you have to remember something. This game has dungeons, and the counters don't reset until you go back to the World Map.

Most dungeons have a Shrine to Mila where you can just offer one of the ridiculously abundant bottles of alcohol to it and get all the turnwheel uses reset no problem or are so short that the 12 uses total are probably never going to be drained, though.

3 minutes ago, I'm a Spheal said:

I wish this mechanic was in a harder game tho because more often than not I find that I don't really have to use it.

It's the opposite for me. I've used it quite a few times, though the only map that drained all of it's uses was Mila's Temple.

I am playing on Hard, so that's a factor.

I usually just use it where i would've had a reset and it lets me either experiment or just fix a mistake in placement (or undo 2% crits). As far as I can tell, you can't undo level ups, just hit rates, so it's pretty nice.

The 3d view often screws me over when I fly fliers over buildings and i place them 1 space off of where I actually want to place them, and Mila's turnwheel lets me undo that.

6 minutes ago, Thor Odinson said:

The 3d view often screws me over when I fly fliers over buildings and i place them 1 space off of where I actually want to place them, and Mila's turnwheel lets me undo that.

Same though i found out that tilting the map view helps you see where exactly your fliers are going when they fly over buildings.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Same though i found out that tilting the map view helps you see where exactly your fliers are going when they fly over buildings.

I do that as well but then i have trouble recognizing which unit is which which granted yeah there's the portraits but I move pretty fast so misclicks still happen a lot

On 5/21/2017 at 5:12 PM, SpearOfLies said:

i like it, some enemies can really screw you over and lunatic will be less tedious.

Are you sure? I reset a miss on 90% accuracy and it hit.

In any case, I love it, it's really well integrated.

Edited by SNaG