Best Classes for Alm's Party?

So, Alm's starting party is basically all Villagers that you can promote however you want.

Given their growth rates and unique learned spells - as well as any hands-on experience using them - which promoted class do you think best fits each of them? For instance, it looks like Faye makes either a strong Mage or Cleric.

I'm looking for some insight as to which paths to take them down - and which paths not to.

I went with the following.

Grey- Merc. This is kind of the canon class for him, but it works well. I went with it because I know Alm's side doesnt get a lot of potential Dread Fighters, so he was the best fit.

Tobin - Mage. This was based on recommendations from the community, and it works really well. His spell list is great, and getting Excalibur early really helps. His speed is also pretty good which helps him double alot. I am a little worried how he will do later in the game once I started getting more mages though.

Kliff - Archer. This was a really good choice. He is easily the best archer on Alm's side for me right now, and maybe even better than Leon. He destroys everything, and I dont have too many issues with him not hitting. That and his black armor design looks really good on the Archer and Sniper.

Faye - Cleric. Again, went off of the recommendation, but it works really well. You will really want a second healer for Alm's side, things get pretty rough. Physic is also really great for Alm's group, and Rescue/Again will be really good as well. If you are worried with her overshadowing Silque, dont. Both healers fit a nice area and work well together in terms of gameplay, and like I said you will want 2 clerics.

Atlas - So this one is a little more mixed. A lot say either Merc or Archer from what I have seen. I personally went Archer to have another long ranged unit instead of a 5th merc. It has worked really well so far. His hit rate is lower compared to other archers, but not so much to where he never hits. Its at a 70% on average rather than the normal 80% I see. so not too bad, and it can be fixed through a couple ways as well.

I go Gray (Merc), Tobin (Archer), Kliff (Mage), Faye (Mage), Atlas (Soldier). It feels the most organic to me.

When the two free Reclass to Villager items release in English, they're going to Luka/Fols immediately. Gotta have my Xmas Cavs.

I am about to finish chapter 1, so my impressions are like the immediate results. I went Mercenary Grey, Mage Tobin, Mercenary Kliff and Cleric Faye.

Currently Grey is pretty damn rad he's fast, Mage Tobin is also pretty great since Excalibur is very broken and you get it very early, Kliff is surprisingly doing very well although he does have the Thunder Sword on him plus his black color scheme is very good and finally Faye is odd she has like a ton of Atk compared to Silque and physic to boot. While I feel Faye might perform better as a more offensive class, she's very slow and her early Physic helps a lot.

I went 

Gray-mercenary

Tobin-mercenary

Kliff-mercenary

Faye-cleric

Atlas-mercenary

Honestly it was actually quite easy lol.. This is on hard/classic mind you

In my JP Normal run I went "canon" classes. 

But for my NA Hard run I went

Gray - Mercenary

Tobin - Mage

Kliff - Archer

Faye - Cleric

They did not disappoint. Each and every one of them were far more effective in this class than they were in their "canon" classes (except Gray, he's still in the same class obviously lol).

After looking at their bases and growths, I still decided to go with the classics and so far they did not disappoint. So that means:

Gray - Mercenary

Robin - Archer

Kliff - Mage

As for Faye, both of her unique options seem to be the way to go. A second Cleric is very helpful and she also learns Physic early to heal from outside the enemy's arrow range. Similar with Pegasus Knight where Faye is only competing with Claire, who is both frail and weak. And of course you can never have enough fliers.

I ultimately choose Pegasus Knight and ended up being very much happy with that choice. Faye ended up performing feats that Claire could never have dreamed of.

I went with the classics (save for Faye who I made a Cavalier instead of a Pegasus Knight or Cleric)...

Grey: Mercenary - Grey as a Mercenary is wrecking lots of stuff on Alm's side, but I feel like Saber on Celica's route is superior.
Tobin: Archer - Never count Tobin out! At times, I have Tobin acting like Legolas and he is just shooting everybody without a care in the world.
Kliff: Mage - Went with the canon route with Kliff, and he appreciates being near Tobin for that useful Hit Rate boost due to supports. The Hit Rate and Kliff's wide variety of spells is pretty nice, and I feel like support bonuses are left out when doing unit analysis.
Faye: Cavalier - I went Cavalier because I wanted a mounted unit and didn't particularly want a Pegasus Knight. I have her be a defensive Cavalier, so I throw her in front of the army as a meatshield. Her RES helps with dealing with mages as well.

Atlas: Unknown - I'm leaning towards Archer for high chip damage, but I don't plan on actually using him.

I'm on Hard/Classic and I went Kliff (Mercenary), Tobin (Mage), Gray (Archer), and Faye (Mage).
Kliff is my most broken unit so far, being almost unkillable as a Dread Fighter with a Brave Sword
Tobin started falling off, but his Physic usage as a Sage is really useful though.
Gray is a pretty good unit, not Kliff levels of good, but still. He's useful for taking out Arcanists and Witches along with Python, and generally harassing enemy front line.
Faye is in a weird spot, her spell list is good at taking out Witches and Knights/Barons, but anything else is challenging for her.

Overall I'm fairly happy with how everyone turned out, although I can't wait to see what happens with other classes in future runs.

Something worth pointing out is that the game flat out insinuates canon classes

if you inspect Ram Village, you'll find that Kliff burnt a certain area with a fire spell (Kliff = Mage), sandbags with arrows stuck in them, arrows fired by Tobin (Tobin = Archer), and a fence broken by Gray during Sword Practicing (Gray = Mercenary)

And really to a large degree, they're designed for those classes in the long run. Kliff has the best spell pool, Gray's subpar skill and speed are fixed by the mercenary line, and Tobin's high skill fixing the low hit rates of Archers

Id say Faye's exclusive access to Anew, making her the dancer, when a very common critical criticism of FE11 was no dancers, implies Cleric is at least one of her more canonical options since she seems made to specifically address a perceived issue with 11 from international audiences.

Fuck if I know if anything implies a canon class for Atlas

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

Basically I made the villagers on Alm's side their preferred classes. And turned Faye into a Cleric for extra healer. For Atlas...I put him into Mercenary, gave him the blessed sword and he destroys terrors with not a single problem.

I made everyone capable of turning into archers into it because I'm a hoe for 1-5 bows. It's probably not optimal, but it's honestly hilarious having 4 bow knights sniping things

Also I wish I knew Faye got rescue and anew before making her a peg, rip

2 hours ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

Id say Faye's exclusive access to Anew, making her the dancer, when a very common critical criticism of FE11 was no dancers, implies Cleric is at least one of her more canonical options since she seems made to specifically address a perceived issue with 11 from international audiences.

I dunno about that - I know making her a Cleric has some merit, but Anew falls victim to "Awesome, but Impractical", imo; the HP cost is a whopping 24 (!!!) (note that Saints only have 30 base HP). and second, it isn't learned until level 14 Saint, meaning the chance that you'll get it is rather low without grinding.

I made Faye a Pegasus and wish I'd made her a cleric after reading this! Clair is seriously weak so I thought Faye might be better at actually dealing any decent damage. 

Kliff makes a pretty good mage, but Grey as a cavalier and Tobin as a merc kind of suck. 

Really wish I had seen this before changing any of them.

Grey as a merc, Kliff as a mage and Tobin as an archer have done really well for me. Tobin slays it as an archer, I find. He rarely misses. Python, the other archer, I use because he's pretty, but he misses a lot more than Tobin, I find, and doesn't crit as often. He's passable, whereas Tobin is great. Kliff as a mage seems fine enough. Grey slays it as a mage.

I made Faye a Pegasus knight, but I don't really use her.

Atlas became a cavalier and he's performing well enough for me. I decided to go on normal, though, since I wasn't sure how hard would be with the maps. I'm glad I did, honestly ^.^

• 1 month later...

Wow seems I took a little bit of a different approach

Kliff I made a cavalier and planning to make him a palidan, I did regret not making him a archer but I felt it was worth it he's been a good help and I have python as my Sniper.

Gray is my Merc 

Tobin is a great mage, learns Excalibur at LVL 6 and he does it well.

And Faye as a cleric, which obviously can never have too many healers plus she learns physic in the early game. And leveling is easy when you have her and silque on the field healing eachother back and forth

In my last playthrough, my team composition went something like this:

Gray - Archer. He actually does pretty well as one, especially if you forge something with a good hit rate for him. The boost to his Skill growth rate really makes a difference on Gray, even more so than on Tobin. Overall, he was one of the most reliable Archers I used.

Tobin - Mage. Just because I didn't want another Cavalier along with Mathilda, Clive and Zeke, I made Tobin my Mage. He did pretty good, learning Physic as a Sage prevents him from becoming completely useless once your female Mages and Saints get Seraphim, so he always had something to do.

Kliff - Soldier. I figured that his naturally high Speed would go well with the great promotion bonuses the Soldier class offers and I was right. He was by far the best Baron I've ever used in my playthroughs, since he could still double most enemies, while tanking everything thanks to a high Defence.

Faye - Pegasus Knight. I wanted to try something new for her and I'm glad I did it. She performs better than Clair with higher Attack, and even if her Speed is a little lower, she still pulls through. The only thing that puts her down is actually what makes her so game-breaking as a Cleric: Her support with Alm. She's still pretty tanky as a Pegasus / Falcon Knight, but not as much as I'd hoped, so she was often in danger of dying to a stray hit, especially from Magic.

I didn't use Atlas much on either of my playthroughs so I don't have much to say about him, though I like him most as a Bow Knight to use alongside Leon.

Quick results, especially good if you want to breeze through early on;

Gray; Mercenary. He really needs the speed and skill. You will like an Rapier user anyway.

Kliff; Cavalier. Gets decent speed and great movement. Later on he can wield the Ridersbane and isn't afraid to charge against mages.

Tobin; Mage. Tobin has superb speed and enemies have low RES. He does great early on, doubling almost everything. Gets Excalibur really fast. Gets Physic upon promotion.

Faye; Cleric. Early Physic. Rescue. Do I need to say more?

Long term results, if you don't mind some grinding or plan on never run from enemies;

Gray; Mercenary. He just needs the speed and skill. When he reaches Dread Fighter, make him an Archer next run.

Kliff; Mage. Kliff gets some pretty strong spells eventually. If you don't mind a somewhat disappointing Act1, he will do fine later on.

Tobin; Archer. Tobin has good base speed and superb skill growth. When he gets to Hunter's Volley he will wreck havoc.

Faye; Cleric, always Cleric.