Do classes not determine how much exp you get?

I've noticed that no matter what, it's really easy to get a character up to lv5.  And really difficult to get a character past lv10.  This is regardless of that character's class.

So I can't help but wonder, does exp gain ignore class?  

Er, yeah.  Sorry, that's what I mean.

At the start of the game, villagers got roughly the same exp as Alm, maybe a bit more.  But myrmidons also kinda get the same exp that he does too, despite them being two tiers higher.  Because of this, it seems easier to level three tier classes like mercenary than two tier like mage.

1 hour ago, Zorafin said:

Er, yeah.  Sorry, that's what I mean.

At the start of the game, villagers got roughly the same exp as Alm, maybe a bit more.  But myrmidons also kinda get the same exp that he does too, despite them being two tiers higher.  Because of this, it seems easier to level three tier classes like mercenary than two tier like mage.

Ah, I see. I feel somewhat the same. Kamui and Saber are both EXP sponges as myrmidons but they still gain a decent amount, almost identical to units like Mae and Boey.

Well in the old game it was just your level that determines how much exp you got. For instance silk barely got any at level 11 but once she promoted she was back at 1 and got exp gains as a level 1 unit. So maybe they kept that in?

exp honestly seems totally random half the time. A unit will kill 2 enemies of the same level but for some reason one is worth more than the other. I have no idea what is going on with the exp formula and I'd like to know

I got Saber to level 10 Dread Fighter, saved then promoted him to Villager. The enemies in the Sage's Hamlet all gave 100 XP as a villager, so class seems to have some sort of effect on XP gains.

It does feel that mages and clerics as a whole seem to grow slower in terms of EXP. It might just be 'cos they promote at a higher level so it feels like more of a grind, but Saber was up to Dread Fighter in no time, whilst Boey and Mae both languished at mage despite me trying to level everyone fairly equally... I've had to go out my way to grind them up to their next classes in the end.