Steel's Echoes Hardcore Ironman Challenge Playlog - No Resets, No Revival Shrines, No Milas Turnwheel

How many times will I have to reset?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. How many times will I have to reset?

• 1-2
    • 3-4
    • 5-6
    • 7-8
    • More
  2. 2. How many units will die?

• 1-2
    • 3-4
    • 5-6
    • 7-8
    • More

Steel's Ironman Echoes: SoV Challenge Playlog - No Resets, No Revival, No Milas Turnwheel, Hard Classic

After much delay, I am finally going to start playing Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. As an introduction, I've been with the series since FE7 released on the GBA, and have played FE7, 8, 11, 13, and 14. I've done a text playlog on another site, where completed Conquest on Lunatic/Classic Blind, with no DLC, online, or stat boosters, which is probably the biggest challenge I have completed in Fire Emblem. So this thread is a sort of successor to that.

Now, when I play Fire Emblem games, I like a challenge. I like to think and plan and strategize and have my knowledge and ability and creativity be put to the test. Gaiden isn't too difficult, and I hear that Echoes doesn't do much to increase the difficulty. So I've created my own challenge.

I've already played through Fire Emblem Gaiden (up to Ch 5 anyway) in the past couple months, so I should be pretty familiar with how this game works. So this isn't truly blind, although it's my first time playing SoV as Gaiden is very fresh in my memory.

This will be a screenshot playlog as I play through Echoes for the first time under this challenge ruleset. Ideally I'd do a video lets play but I don't have the means to record Echoes with anything approaching decent quality, so text + screenshots will have to do. Since I'm sure most people here are playing SoV, I won't talk too much about the story aside from some reactions here and there. I'm sure y'all will see the story on your own. I'll keep things rather brief and to the point. Maybe this could be usable as a sort of strategy guide in the future. I will focus on the strategies I use and on the challenge at hand.

Here are the rules I am planning to play by in my Hardcore Ironman Challenge playthrough:
-Hard/Classic
-No DLC
-No Revival Shrines
-No Milas Turnwheel

My goal is to complete the game with without resetting, and with as few character deaths as possible. If a character dies, they will stay dead. If I get a game over, then the first part of this challenge will have failed, and I will increment the game over counter, restart the map, and continue to play from there under the same rules, trying to complete the game with as few resets and deaths as possible from then on.

I won't use revival shrines even though they are part of the game. If Alm or Celica dies, I will consider that a game over. I'll keep playing but I'll have to increase the game over counter by 1, and maybe implement some other consequence. I won't over-level by grinding too much. I might do a bit here and there as from my knowledge of Gaiden, having certain units promoted by certain points is quite important. But I'll keep it to a minimum.

Feel free to make predictions/bets on whether I will succeed, how many resets it will take, how many units will die, and who will die.

Welcome to Steel's Ironman Echoes Playlog. Bring it on! Hope you guys have fun reading along! I also welcome any relevant comments and discussion - just please don't spoil anything past where I'm currently at in the game.

PS. If anyone is interested, I did a video Let's Play of Gaiden: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrhvZk3o62Z1kbKbpmJtJB8-txc_Ekjzk

PS#2. I'm also posting this playlog on another website as well.

t74VByi

Edited by Xaos Steel Wing

Prologue

wIprIQQ.png

There's not much to say here, it's mostly story.

Already this game has more worldbuilding in the prologue than all of Fates.

I love the voice acting and the dialogue too.

JT6VvQY.png
So this little scene where Alm runs to Celica serves to introduce players to free 3D movement which will later be used in dungeons. A neat way to introduce a brand new mechanic to the series.

7AO9ijX.png
Alm and Celica... promising to be together forever already... how cute. So sugary sweet. I love it. Oh, and matching marks on their hands... it's destiny! (I'm a sucker for childhood friend romances...)

GFucrWx.png
Wow, language!

2ku6Lt3.png
Ah, Slayde...

Spoiler

I know he'll be a boss later on. Funny, when I faced him in Gaiden, he just charged in alone and his men kinda stayed back and let him die...

bLHX9kv.png

I find it cute how the villagers have "Boy" and "Girl" as their classes.

zF6gVuo.png
How good it feels to have movement range indicators and battle previews again. Oh how I missed them so dearly back in Gaiden. No more counting enemy movement ranged by hand! I had some game overs and deaths in Gaiden just because I miscounted enemy movement ranges...

V7UZsl0.png
So this battle is pretty much of Mycen men. Put him on a grave tile just in case, not that it was needed.

sFrIigc.png
I guess that's the tutorial? Super basic. At least they tell new players about terrain bonus. Terrain will be very important in this game.

6huO6t4.png
Oh no, Alm and Celica are separated :'(

Anyway, excellent first impression. I love the dialogue, the voice acting, the interface, to feel of the game... Yeah, it's just the prologue, but it's off to a good start!

Future updates will be more gameplay focused. I just really like the start of Echoes. The storytelling is shaping up to be real nice.

Edited by Xaos Steel Wing

I'm noticing many differences between Gaiden and Echoes, so I may as well point them out, for those who haven't played Gaiden. Don't worry, the updates will become more and more gameplay/strategy focused as I get further into the game. Right now, I'm just taking it all in. And loving the start so far - a great first impression.

Instead of walking around the village, you talk to people and examine things through sort of menus. I guess that's a way to put the 3D of the 3DS to use.

NFGl9SV
HO2JyPw
Some of the examine captions are pretty funny. They're nice little touches. A bit of extra light worldbuilding.

UCrjHKR
So far, the beginning of the story is pretty much the same as Gaiden. Just, with much more dialogue and details. So much voice acting, too!

7dqhEsm
The king is dead, killed by his chancellor/general Desaix, a rebellion... errr... Deliverance arises to fight back against the wannabe tyrant. War hero Sir Mycen refuses to join, but Alm rallies to the cause, and his friends come along - whether it be for money, to protect Alm, to see the world, or just to fight.

aLlpddR
wvekWTT
Tobin and Gray have some great interaction. I like how there's already a lot more to the characters.

WfQLC5D
Oh, and more longing for Celica.

- Chapter 1 START -
Play Time: 00:30

AaAmw0f
The world map! Looks a lot like Awakening or Sacred Stones. Certainly less colorful and more map-like than Gaiden. And what's that? Currency? Gaiden didn't have any money or currency!

eKvCLrl
1) Some of the villagers come equipped with consumable healing items. Gaiden did not have consumable items. Healing was done through spells, equippable items that healed 5 per turn, fort tiles, or a classes with innate healing skills. But no vulneraries, concoctions, elixirs and the like.

g4eiA1G
2) Gray starts off at level 5, ready to promote - with a brand new icon indicating readiness to promote!

PrO9QBe
3) Faye exists.

Chapter 1-1
LuakiV9

cNb2OA5
As easy as it gets. Not much to say here.

JswZLmY
I love the details on the village. The graphics really have improved. Such attention to detail!

EDpaLEh
I lead with Alm and Lukas, placing them on the forests just in case. I try and feed the kills to the villagers, they are in more need of experience to get them promoted soon.

2t5m8gv
On the second enemy phase, the two remaining bandits run past my units without attacking. What? Looks like the strange AI behaviour carried over from Gaiden. Sometimes damaged enemies won't attack your units. Even if they could kill your units. Guess they have a sense of self-preservation. Except that they die the next turn anyway.

aBUQbs4
A kill chart at the end? This brand new! Neat!

Sjd9dKp
Group / bonus experience is also displayed at the end. So is group exp in Echoes distributed right when its earned after each fight like in Gaiden, or is it withheld and only distributed at the end of each battle? Either way, it's a nice visual indication.

An easy start. Though there is one more difficult map (read: sudden difficulty spike) coming up in a few.
J1DK2Xf

Chapter 1-2: Fleecer's Forest Battle
1:30

Spoiler

5Rh3x17

MO214uE
Naughty bandits!

62IEhhX
Another straightforward open square map. A decent bit of forests for cover.

AHXRKPy
The first time we face an archer. Archers in Gaiden/Echoes have 3 range by default and can counterattack and melee range. So they're quite a bit more versatile and annoying than in other FEs...

eMGsr6P
There's not much in the way of strategy. I have Alm and Lukas lead, the villagers off to the side and just run them in to get kills and experience.

7t06a7M
I got the villagers more damaged than I'd like to, but still an easy victory.

Alm, Tobin, Gray and Lukas get level ups.

YuI3gYJ
I like how level-up quotes can address what stats they get. That's a pretty neat touch!

FlaringtheChari posted...

Promote them right away. you'll need them for the leather shield mercenary.

Ah yes, the infamous 1-3 Merc. He gave me a ton of trouble back when I first played Gaiden. When I didn't know about the shrine....

EFodtl7
Ok, 10 Defense? So at the moment my units would only do 1 damage to him per attack! 11 attack? He would do 6 damage to Alm and Lukas... and at 13 speed, he'd double them!!!

So our 1 damage per battle versus his 6x2=12? No way that's going to work.

Into the shrine we go.

Chapter 1: Thief Shrine
01:44

Spoiler

q9GavqN
Oh boy, first time exploring dungeons... in full 3D! They actually really nice!

Yxz9bkJ
So that's how enemy encounters work. You can run into them or avoid them in real time, like encounters work in Paper Mario or the Tales series. Neat! So you have the choice whether to fight or not. Sneaking around bandits here.

4E060ZO
Alright, here's the fight. There's actually a boss and an archer here - didn't have those here in Gaiden.

vLRNPaA
Wait, is that a... ROCK>?!?!?? There's TERRAIN in dungeons? Whaaaat?

JWtlqph
In case you're wondering why I'm flipping out about this... back in Gaiden, every single shrine battle was fought on this exact open square map. This exact same map, every time. Just with different enemies.

Gh8ubve
As for the battle, I split my group into two groups. One led by Alm, one led by Lucas. 2 villagers in each.

gVKUb2X
Lucas' group gets into a bit of trouble with the archer and the boss. The archer is actually fairly durable...

XsmOWK1
OAqBm8y
But Alm takes out the boss easily.

T5Ipfhx
What, Battle Complete?!?! You just had to take out the boss? That makes things easier. In Gaiden, pretty much every map was a rout map. So, we have another difference. Good thing too, as Lukas may have been in trouble against the archer.

LUBaV7r
Who's that lying there on the ground?

j2jkodH
We meet Silque! Turns out she was actually sent by Celica (or so I assume) to find Alm? Convenient enough that Alm ends up rescuing her.

CybE7LF
And now we get Mila's Turnwheel.
One of the game's highly touted new features. Not that I'll be using it to rewind time... that would be too easy, wouldn't it?

ru6sODM
Visions of the future?!?!?

c6l8fpw
And here's the shrine statue which allows for promotion... It's a physical location instead of promotion items in later games.
And brand new in Gaiden, giving food offerings to restore party fatigue? I see the fatigue bars in the character stats, apparantely it lowers their max HP if it gets too high? Hasn't been an issue, yet.

Y5iENU8
Turns out there's some exploring to be done too! You can knock open boxes and stuff to get loot and supplies. That's a neat new addition.

XRq0wJ7
There's also an iron sword that gives +2 attack. Iron? Gaiden didn't have Iron weapons, it went right to Steel. And is it just me, or does it change the sword Alm holds in his dungeon crawling model? Cool, that'll help vs the merc on the next map.
Also have a silver mark for... forging? That's a new feature.

Overall - I really like what they did to dungeons/shrines. The 3D exploring, the ability to choose whether to fight or avoid enemies, the little exploring and item finding elements, and perhaps most of all, shrines being more than 1 screen of a straight path and a 1 map battle that's just a small open square. The shrine looked quite nice too...

Looking forward to what other dungeons are like.

Until then... I think I'd like to promote the rest of my villagers before taking on the leather shield merc on the next map. As is; Alm would still do only 2 damage against him.

Shrine Promotion Time

Spoiler

hWqHyVq
They really made this place look nice, with the cave river...

1BimFXv
I should admit, the first time through the shrine I ran past the bandits, just to see if I could actually skip these fights. I'm going to have a heck of a time with the 1-3 mercernary without promoted villagers, so I'll fight these guys a couple times just till I can promote them.
After 2 fights, one of them was at level 2, 99 exp. Sigh. I want to play this run with minimal grinding, but I really don't want to have to come back here just to promote 1 villager, so I did an extra fight. I only did 3 bandit fights total. Can you even call 1 extra encounter "grinding"?
Hopefully, beyond this point, I can get through the game with no grinding? I'll try!

Here we go, promotion time!

Gray will become a Mercenary!
eQ1J6wW
iOonjGw

Tobin will become an Archer!
lLftYgo
du1wTSS

Kliff will become a Mage!
lnl175G
xOI5yFB

Faye will become a Cleric!
oAlpjov
ckWaw14

4Ls5I0c
So, Silque. She's a cleric. Basically a healer. And has quite some other talents as well. So she's quite useful. She will eventually get the Warp spell. But no Physic for distance healing, which is why Faye was made into a Cleric.

xqtAivw
In Gaiden, she was an extreme pain to level, because healing did not give experience, and Nosferatu had 50% hit rage (and was usually 40something after factoring enemy avoid).
In Echoes, healing does give you exp and Nosferatu has 60% hit chance... so it should be much easier to level her.

3yDw7Oj
Not the greatest stats, but physical enemies tend to have very low resistance. She'll mostly be healing anyway. Her super high resistance means she tank magic... but enemy mages also have high resistance so she can't exactly damage them much either.

fFc6Pjp
Also, camp conversations! Pretty cool. An additional way to interact with your characters and learn about them. I like the game's character and world building already.

Chapter 1-3: Storming of Ram Valley
03:30

Spoiler

w3UhjPg

Now we're ready. This map is probably the first difficulty spike of Gaiden. If you want to see what happened the first time I tried this map in Gaiden, check out this video. Stuff starts to fall apart around 23 minutes in.

hqdefault.jpg

3G0zFN3
So, these are the enemies we face. Nothing too threatening here.

XUEuDWc
See this level 6 bandit that's the boss? He's not the real boss.

JAdvdJS
THIS GUY is the real boss. This mercenary has a leather shield, increasing his defense by 3, giving him 10 defense. He has 13 speed so he doubles everyone, and has 11 attack. At this point Alm and Lukas have 6 defense, so he would do 10 damage a battle to them... while Alm would do 2 damage and Lukas would do 1... Ouch. But - he has low resistance!

lps2qIe
The strategy: First, move the entire group to the right and take out the bandits. Try and fight on the forest, putting my tankiest units on it to dodge and take less damage. Set up a decent defensive formation and these guys will be easy.
HYM5iaF

9gB2Dd2
The mercenary will slowly walk down across the mountain, 1 tile at a time. So that gives plenty of time to take out every other enemy, then the merc can be dealt with alone. He's still a pain though.

Alm and Lukas have the highest defense, so I run them in to meet the merc, then I back up to this forest tile.

NzezcqO
Perfect positioning. The 2 tile path between the mountain is blocked by Alm and Lukas.
So my clerics can heal them, and Kliff is free to throw his magic at the merc to take him down without putting himself in danger.

fcmWnt4
See, it's easy if you know what to do.

If you DON'T have a mage at this point, I suppose you can do the same tactic, but instead just have Alm and Lukas keep tanking hits and having Silque heal them, and slowly whittling down the merc 2-3 HP a turn in a war of attrition that you will win thanks to your cleric healing.

What if you went to this map first and didn't go the shrine - and have no mage or cleric? You're in for a heck of a time. See my above video from Gaiden. Sure, I completed the map with some good use of the forest and forest terrain, but it was a real struggle and Gray died in the process.

AH0kBgZ
And I get the Leather Shield. Time to make Lukas even tankier!

Anyway, there's the first "challenge" of Echoes. Wasn't too bad, but I was aware of it from Gaiden so I knew what to do.

Also.... SUPPORTS!

DHy7dYT
Gees Kliff, what's your problem? Here I was all excited to here you guys talk... and you don't want to? What kind of support is this?

TX1gSzb 6knxG5v
S1WUg1a 0YWy9Dp
Faye is totally cray craye.
I'm not sure if I love it or hate it.

YVQ1PXM
That's pretty much my reaction to Faye too...

vPILHLC
Anyway, time to move on to the Southern Outpost!

TgZdxs0 OYyo3ng
b9BW0TR
Gray and Tobin are hilarious. I like the way Gray thinks... and Tobin often seems to say what I'm thinking. They're a great duo. It's almost like they're the Christmas Cavaliers of this game - in terms of their dynamic anyway.

Chapter 1-4: Attack on the Southern Outpost
4:20

Spoiler

d5FBJmm

m5W9fiV
vTISMia
A fortress map. What makes this interesting is the archer with the Steel bow, granting him huge range. At least this game warns you about it. It was quite the surprise in Gaiden to see an enemy shooting at 5 range all of a sudden! Oh, and there's 2 archers here now, Gaiden only had the one to the right.

ut4jBxf

Strategy: Alm is equppied with the Leather Shield, which boosts him to 10 Defense. He will go around on the right to reach the archer and take him out on his own (well, possibly with some help from Tobin). Meanwhile, the main force moves to the center and engages the enemies there, with Lukas leading.

H8xx4sC
Those hit rates for Tobin, yikes. The tiles in the fort give 20 avoid, and archers already have a low hit rate. Even worse, the archer goes onto the supplies - which give him 40 avoid!

v9gAUeN
Alm easily took care of the archer. The rest of the enemies are none to threatening.
I don't get what's up with soldier on the left in the fort. He just stands there and doesn't move at all. I just have Kliff set him on fire, but still... what's the point of this unit that just sits there, can't counterattack, and doesn't move? An AI mess up?

Chapter Complete! 9 turns
0sQo7x4

Let's check out the Southern Outpost, shall we?

07e0iSS
I like what they've done with the place. Some loot you can pick up... including the Almighty Lightning Sword!

Here's how the Southern Outpost looked in Gaiden for comparison. Quite the evolution!
wuJPy1R

X7dIcxE
This thing is great, it allows the user to attack for 1-2 range with a magic attack, and does a flat 15 magic damage regardless of the user's attack. Basically, Alm can solo the next few maps with this. Not that it's a good idea in terms of experience distribution. This sword was totally overpowered in Gaiden. In Echoes at least is has a downside: 3 weight (-3 speed when its equipped). It's still insanely powerful in Act 1.

But there's something even better in here!
cGBhd1I

AGV7ylY
I just love this CG. Clair looks so beautiful here. She just holds her hand out... expecting Alm to help her up.

8OTIjSK
kE9BBhW
Oh, Clair... Quite amusing, her view on villages and peasants and farm animals.

Clair - Pegasus Knight
M5aNvyO
As a unit... Clair is not that great. She's rather fragile, and her attack isn't very good. She is quite fast so she can double a lot, and has good resistance, so she's good for fighting enemy mages and witches. But she's quite fragile and does little damage versus melee units.
When promoted she will be super effective versus terrors. But from my experience in Gaiden, she's not very good, mainly due to her weak damage output and low HP.

WHyKDlU
Oh, Faye... I can see why people talk so much about her Alm obsession.

Chapter 1-5: Battle of Southern Zofia
4:39

Spoiler

jOFiVL3

omHjuJU
Check out all the items we now have! Certainly a lot more than you'd get early on in Gaiden - in Gaiden at this point you only had the Lightning Sword and Leather Shield.

Oh goody, a wide open square map with minimal terrain!
4A2vOUo
4fVM4GB
The only new thing here is the cavalry. They're quite far off though. But they do have decently high speed so they're a threat to mages.

Strategy: Advance North aggressively and take out all the nearby enemies before the Cavalry arrive. So when the cavalry get to the party, they can easily be dispatched.

vz70Dkx
sLRQ4mJ
I ran Tobin into the enemy archer's range to get things moving.

The Lightning Sword has a cool lightning effect to it. But I kept mis-timing my screenshots XD.
Here's how it looked in Gaiden for comparison:
kvmmVVo

iSCqL3z
Nothing too difficult really. These enemies aren't very threatening. Clair takes a lot of damage - her defense and HP are quite low for now.

GFzQuXl
The main enemy group is all cleaned up by the time cavalry get here. The cavalry are easy to take out with the melee units - just need to position them so as to block off the more fragile mages who can get doubled.

qgZDtaS
Chapter 1-5 Complete! 5 turns

o1Wuhqu J9WEtez
Fernand? What's this guy's problem? He seems awfully conceited.

XMMVViP nsnOkzp
He even talks down on Lukas! How could he, Lukas is such a great guy!
You tell him, Clair! Put this stuck up noble in his place!
Some hints at Fernand having a sad backstory and reason as to why he acts like that are given...

So it looks like the Deliverance has its own divisions and internal conflicts, along class lines. We might be fighting on the same side, but seems like we have little in common.

Chapter 1-6: Second Battle of Southern Zofia
5:04

Spoiler

Chapter 1-6: Second Battle of Southern Zofia
5:04

vhUwVsx

Two of the less interesting types of maps in Gaiden... Echoes are maps that are basically wide open squares with minimal terrain, and maps that come down to holding a simple chokepoint.

This map is a combination of both.

QaNosjf
5EnPZS5
5EnPZS5
Basically a large open square, but divided in 2 by a river with a single bridge crossing it. And a fort.

So we have two groups of enemy cavalry. Four in the bottom left, and four in the top left corner. The cavalry at the top of the map are level 4 and 6, the ones at the bottom are level 2.

Strategy: Start by moving aggressively to the west, and engage and take out the first group of cavalry quickly.
Then send the tankiest unit to block the bridge before the cavalry from the top can get there. Taking out the second group of cavalry should then be easy with a high defense unit holding the bridge, and ranged units attacking from across the river without being in any danger.

SufpIdp
First group of cavalry is super easy.

8ro9tSf
Lukas can hold the bridge. He has 7 Def +3 with the leather shield for a total of 10. So he only takes 1-2 damage from these enemies. Ranged units help bring them down.

Z2SxVWG
What's this? Their leader is running away!

This is another thing about Gaiden/Echoes AI. Enemies sometimes retreat to heal when they are at low health. It's kind of unique, enemies in other FEs dont exhibit this kind of behavior - they run in and fight to the death!
Usually this is mostly just an annoyance, having a couple units run to heal up is rarely a danger, it just makes the map take a bit longer...

i5przLb
Finally, I catch up to him. This boss running away to heal when he was at 3 hp literally wasted 4 turns.
I bet this is super annoying in LTC playthroughs and you'll have to plan around finishing units so they won't retreat and escape like this, or even in some cases not attack and leave them at higher HP so they won't get low enough to trigger the retreat behavior.

Battle Complete! - 11 Turns

i0PQhLZ
No, I haven't! :)

aTfw1HH

Chapter 1: Deliverance Hideout
5:27

Spoiler

dp7y7XL

I keep wanting to call them the Liberation... a carryover from Gaiden.
ib5Op7U
I've wondered that too... Makes sense, make your HQ in a graveyard crawling with undead so its hard for the enemy to get through as well.

CU2GZOw
I'm really impressed with what they did to the dungeons. There's definitely a lot more room to explore.
Back in Gaiden this dungeon was literally just a single straight path and single encounter on the open square map that every dungeon was.

If you haven't played Gaiden, here's what the Liberation Hideout originally looked like, you can see for your self. Quite the step up in echoes.

hqdefault.jpg

TFpNKma
It's cool that the weapon Alm has equipped shows on his dungeon model. The Lightning Sword helps light the way!

First time I ran into a zombie, the sound they gave off kind of freaked me out.

CDlMjA3
So it looks like this dungeon has the same flat square as back in Gaiden... disappointing.

ckBRfN9
The Revenants have high HP... and that's it. Otherwise their stats pathetically weak and they pose no threat at all. Just fodder.
I do wonder why they all have cleavers stuck in their heads. Any reason why people tend to use that specific weapon against them? It doesn't seem effective if they're just back up again.

Battle Complete - 2 turns

F5xugHh
Two enemies blocking the path. The door can't be opened so the only way is through. The only mandatory fight of this dungeon.

7j0qDnZ
Just a flat square. Quite a few enemies, but they're quite weak, as tends to be the case with zombies and skeletons.

Vm5zI5z TUhAQWU
The Bonewalkers look pretty awesome in this game, with their flaming heads and skull shields and spiky swords. More powerful and durable than the revenants, but still not at all threatening.

Strategy: Advance forward and place the more durable melee units in a formation that will protect the more vulnerable ranged units. Quite simple really.

pPtwgf9 840ALnc

I'm running around smashing open crates, but not much interesting has dropped from them.
4 silver marks and about 3 or so beverages... not that we can actually consume the wine or anything.
Still, like in Zelda I feel like I have to smash open every destructible item.

Two chests - one has an iron bow, the other has 20 silver marks. Which I still cannot yet use.

XpJ8XvO
Anyway, onto the Deliverance hideout.

0hrIuXn
It's Sir Clive, leader of the Deliverance!

macB8wq
WHAT? The inexperienced Alm to lead the Deliverance? So that's why they wanted Mycen...

piSaefW
Looks like things were bleak for the Deliverance... Lukas with the great metaphor. I think he's becoming my favorite character.

7hvwarK
Fernand doesn't like it one bit.
An ideological/class divide amongst the resistance.
Turns out Fernand does have a good reason to mistrust the common folk... and it's exactly what I thought it was when it was hinted at earlier.

Turns out story and exploring took more time than actual battles did here.

See, I think Gaiden/Echoes is more of an RPG with strategy elements than a strategy game with RPG elements... but that's another discussion.

There's a Spring in the LIberation HQ.
Attack and Defense.

A real difficult choice, both are immensely useful stats. Do I upgrade a strong unit's strengths to make them even better, or improve a unit's weakness?
I'm thinking to maybe give some defense to Clair to make her more durable which is her biggest problem. I don't know what else. Any ideas.

Also, 3 new units... 2 of them solid, 1 kind of weak.

Clive - Cavalier
8V4W4aw
The first Cavalier. Starting stats look decent. But his growths, not so much. Decent attack and HP (40 and 55) but poor speed (25) and defence (30).
And his 1 Resistance is awful... he is super vulnerable to magic. Especially to witches who can teleport.
In Gaiden I found him usable but underwhelming. Mathilda will be much better.

Forsyth - Soldier
FusucK3
A solid soldier. More green than I remember from Gaiden, where his hair was... pink. A bit more offense and a bit less defense than Lukas. Lukas I think is better. But Force (as he was known in Gaiden) is alright).

Python - Archer
jU8kM2z
Another Archer. He started off quite weak for me in Gaiden but became pretty good in Chapter 4. I gave him a few points in speed from a spring in Chapter 4 and when he could double enemies, he was a real force to be reckoned with. Great at taking out mages from a distance. His speed starts low but he has a prett good 55% growth.

Later today: the March on Castle Zofia!
V9mSNzu

Hope to get Chapter 2 done by the end of this weekend. At the least.

After that, the real challenge starts.

Alm 1-7 (Finale): Liberation of Zofia Castle
6:27

Spoiler

Alm 1-7 (Finale): Liberation of Zofia Castle
6:27

V9mSNzu IRQRljw
Alm channeling his inner Nino. Let's go!

xK71HXA

T6wyUer LZXdObX
The treachers chanceller Desaix... killing the king and betraying Zofia and allying with Rigel!
And Fernand, that traitor!

We also meet Berkut, nephew of Rigel's king Rudolf and heir to the throne.
qfY4AXp ZBsH9Fh
Quite a nice cut scene, but his music is so ominous...

PaYhGe5 OKSYRkh
So he's another on of those nobles who look down on common folk types... just like Fernand.
But Reina seems to be a bit more softhearted... I foresee a conflict between them at some point.

zXJbcjW
5uD0pbp VXzg6Id

So this map is a straightforward fortress assault... that's actually a chokepoint map.

EP6seLZ tahx6SW
Two bosses. Slaying Slayde will cause Desaix to retreat.
But Desaix will drop the Dracoshield if he is defeated.
Slayde isn't a particular threat...
Desaix, on the other hand, has defense and resistance so high that all our units can only do 1 damage to him (2 per round because they double) and he has a huge attack... Oh, and he heals for 5 each turn. Yeah, it's gonna be tough to take him out.

Strategy: Take out the enemy archers with my own archers.
Then move in, and create a 3 wide defensive line at the edge of Slayder's movement range, and hold this formation in that corridor till most of the enemies are taken out.
After that, it's just cleaning up the enemies in the final room where Desiax starts, which conveniently offers a 1 tile chokepoint.

CYrKL0p
Archer vs Archer combat. The enemy archers have 20 avoid from terrain, which makes hitting them a pain. But Tobin and Python double the enemy archers and do much more damage, and can retreat to heal. So my archers will prevail in the long run.

88NvwgB 5rCtFxF
Here, we make our stand!
The 3 wide corridor allows for the creation of a defensive line with the tankiest units, that enemy can't break through.
The cavalry is fast, it could even double Clive with his steel lance so I had to trade him Clair's iron lance.

d07lwPe
The first enemy mage... er... "Arcanist" we face.
The thing about magic enemies is that your units don't have resistance growths in this game. What you start with in Res is what you end with. Strange.
But Arcanists tend to be quite slow with their magic weighing them down. This guy can also heal.

zhKsPkJ dBeaMOQ
The enemy archers are taken out by my own archers. Otherwise, just holding my ground and my ranged units help take out the cavalry too. Takes a few turns but my units are never in any danger, and Faye and Silque can heal the frontline too.

H8MBHZt 5Sb40wB
Just a couple more enemies to clean up!
Slayder has retreated to heal and left his men to die.
He actually had 1 HP, and Alm missed what was supposed to be the finishing blow.

Ah, but does this retreat give me a chance at fighting Desaix and obtaining the Dracoshield?

Chapter 1-7 continued:

Spoiler

Chapter 1-7 continued: Taking on Desaix, I say!

Uh-oh!!!
jLU9epH

Unexpectedly, Desaix has marched forward to meet my forces. As Felicia would say, we've got trouble! Or... an opportunity?

34ul1GZ
The way he is positioned, it actually works quite nicely.
I have 4 units that can attack him (doubling him) each turn, doing up to 8 damage per turn... plus Alm will do 2 damage on the counterattack.
So I can outdamge his 5 healing per turn!!!
Desaix can only attack Alm, but my clerics can outheal his damage in the long run, and Desaix has no crit, so Alm is safe.
Nice!
This is working out better than I thought!

So I can take my time and slowly but surely chip down his health.
The Dracoshield is within sight!

I got Desaix down to 16 health, and things are looking good...

Except that Desaix retreated to the supply tile, and Slayde advanced to block his positon... great...
45QUEqq

I just have to chip down Slayde's health to get him to retreat again and then Desaix will advance again after healing up a bit, right?

TnFvO87
Impossible!!!
Tobin accidentally crit Slayde while trying to chip down his health to make him retreat again...........
Cmon, Tobin! That's not what we were trying to do!
So close... Almost had Desaix, only to accidentally slay Slayde on a crit...

R0CChka
Desaix retreats, and no Dracoshield for me...

5oT84xz
It's an hardcore ironman run, so I roll with it. No Turnwheel for me!
Although that's exactly where the feature would come in useful...

Zofia is freed!
V03Qgys

KhCNP5C 4MEXdwT
Clair is wonderful~ I love her, she's so much fun with her haughty but well meaning manner of speech.

But this is just the start!
9t4PYOl hGOV6Co
Ah, Gray and Tobin... Never cease to be entertaining.

Inside the castle we pickup the Ridersbane, an Iron Lance, and an Iron Shield.
Ridersbane? It was called a Knight Lance in Gaiden... which I mistakenly thought to be super effective against knights, not cavalry.

kdGsPAL 5ACzsBL
Some rumors about the slain king Lima's daughter escaping... Got to be Celica, right?

In Gaiden, much of the story came from things people in towns would say. I like how they kept that aspect, how talking to NPCs in places like this castle still adds a lot to the story.

jAwuilB
Old man confirms that Alm is not Mycen's son, kinda new that already... who is he then?
Some heavy moments as Alm begins to realize that this victory is only the beginning of a greater war, and that a heavy burden lies on his shoulders!

VIBbi2d
Look who's here... Lots of questions to ask, but get conveniently interrupted.

ajFFzFg
This is only the beginning of the struggle. Castle Zofia may have been re-taken, but there will be no peace until Rigel is defeated for good.

ACT 1 COMPLETE!!!

So far, I'm loving the game... I'll post a quick summary after I go to sleep, then on to Act 2 with Celica!

Act 1 Summary

Prologue: 3 turns
1-1: 3 turns
1-2: 5 turns
Thief Shrine: 5 turns
Thief Shrine Extra Encounters: 3 + 2 + 3 turns
1-3: 4:20 / 5 turns
1-4: 4:20 / 9 turns
1-5: 4:39 / 5 turns
1-6: 5:04 / 11 turns (the boss ran away to heal)
Deliverance Hideout: 5:27 / 2 turns
Delivarance Hideout Extra Encounters: 2 turns
1-7: 6:26 / 23 turns (tried for the Dracoshield but accidentally crit Slayde)

Total Time: 7:44
Total Turn Count: 81
Casualties: 0
Resets: 0

Thief Shrine Spring: +2 SPD to Tobin, +1 SPD to Lukas
Delivarance Spring: Not used yet, but planning to give +2-3 DEF to Clair

Units:

Spoiler

Alm lvl 7 - Lukas lvl 8
870kJkq Cvx0g2G
Gray lvl 6 - Tobin lvl 7
hQkMHGb UeKNaaV
Kliff lvl 5 - Faye lvl 5
weJZyPP cqFgvqW
Silque lvl 6 - Clair lvl 4
WvzM4mU um76dr3
Clive lvl 6 - Python lvl 4
wECGnur uQq2GA0
Forsyth lvl 4
UO3KBDH

Act 2: The Pilgrimage

Spoiler

Act 2: The Pilgramage

hy9MnqK

"I'm on a boat." - Celica, Act 2

Most of this map is ships... which are pretty much basic chokepoint maps. With the exception of one very annoying ship map, they're pretty uninteresting. And there's about 6 of them. So it's a rather weak start to Celica's route, map design wise. A couple of Gaiden's flaws: chokepoint maps that tend to be quite easy and involve very little thought... and repeating maps.

Not too exciting a chapter. Not much in terms of major threats or challenges for this ironman. There's the Necro Dragon, but Celica should have Seraphim (super effective versus it) by then. Maybe the Sea Shrine will be at least interesting?

mR8WSCF 95JeinP
A dream of Alm and Rudolf... or is it a vision?
I love the cinematics in this game. So much better than those of Fates!

ZVzB9ej
Famine, drought, monsters, war... and rumors Mila, the earth goddess, is missing.
So Chapter 2 and 3 of Celica's route are basically a journey to Mila's Temple to see what's going.

jg9sEK2
That's what I'd like to know. Why would Rigel invade Zofia?

bdFHytM
I love the dynamic Mae and Boey have. Reminds me of, well, me and a certain friend of mine.
Looks like they're the Tobin and Gray of this route.

fDondJJ
Celica has a great design. I love her outfit.

So, units. Interestingly, all 4 starting units in Celica's party are magical.

dgYsfBc
Celica is pretty great, as it tends to be the case with FE protagonists. She knows magic right off the bat, and she'll eventually learn the very powerful Seraphim spell which is super effective against monsters.

Qzz1Xku
Mae isn't quite a-mae-zing, but she's pretty good. She's got good starting speed. And knows 3 range Lightning magic right away (which she makes a point to rub in the face of Boey, which she actually does in Gaiden too) which is super useful.

LicUq8d
Boey... not so great. He's got good HP and Def, but that's not what you need in a mage. Hes got rather low attack and speed. And magic weighs him down further.

5bIg37b
Jenny... Genny? I don't know. In Gaiden she was a massive pain to level and use outside of healing. But that's because Gaiden Nosferatu had 50% hit rate, which was usually 40-something% after enemy avoid is factored in. So she did very little damage AND she missed more often than she hit. But Clerics are much better in Echoes, so I think she'll be alright.

RJwXj9o
Fountains. +atk or +spd, tough choice.

I ended up giving +atk and +spd to Celica, and +atk to Mae.

I thought about giving a whole bunch of Spd to Boey, shoring up his major weakness... but even then I don't think he'd be great, and he'd only catch up to Mae for the time being. I found Boey to be quite weak in Gaiden. He didn't do much damage, rarely doubled, and would get doubled a lot himself. Might be the same way in Echoes.

Celica will be great anyway, doesn't hurt to make her better to start off. Though what she really needs is some defense. I also thought about giving Mae some speed, since magic reduces speed... but you only need 1 more than the enemy to double, so I think she'll be ok with her growth of 40%.

In retrospect, I should have given Boey the speed, and maybe given Mae a point in speed rather than attack (so she can double pirates with Thunder). Oh well.

Act 2-1: Graveyard Skirmish
08:15

Spoiler

Act 2-1: Graveyard Skirmish
08:15

mJO4AG4

The only way to the port to get to mainland Zofia is through this cemetary.
Turns out Boey is afraid of ghosts, and Celica reminisces about her long dead half-brother.

lAJvvlB J9JtPzj
Yep, Boey and Mae... So much fun together. Definitely an exchange that would happen between me and a friend of mine (I'd be Boey...).

35JJtoV
The map is a graveyard with plenty of forest and grave tiles.

This battle seems like a tutorial on using terrain. Forests give 40 avoid, graves give 60 avoid.
So using terrain advantage is very important in Gaiden. Especially with the hit chance being what you see, not the "average two rolls" formula of other FEs that makes very high and low probabilities even higher/lower (if Im explaining it right).

AnPRoyP
Magic is not affected by terrain in Gaiden/Echoes. Another advantage mages get. Makes them great versus bosses that have a higher dodge rate vs physical attacks.
I kept forgetting this in Gaiden.....

Strategy: Advance forward staying on terrain when possible. The Revenants here really don't pose much of a threat. Celica's all magic team has their magic hit chance unaffected, the enemies meanwhile very much have their hit rate lowered. This map is more of a terrain tutorial than anything.

Of note, giving Celica 2 atk from the spring would let her one-round these terrors. Not that it matters much.

71zBaHq

Battle Complete - 4 turns (or was it 5?)
M3KI0NF
Those terrors sure went after Genny... maybe they wanted to give her a hug? Or touch her adorable puffy hair?

Novis Seaport

Spoiler

Novis Seaport
Pirates plague the seas, so ships can't sail. No problem, we'll just take them out and help the people of Novis in the process, right?

X7jLJZL aXxvZAC
Cats.

7pi3OfV Qj6a4rQ
Looks like Celica has the right idea! She's a cat lover? I like her even more!

azI3kWT
We meet Saber, a heavy drinking sellsword. And for the mere price of a single dagger, he'll escort Celica all the way to the Mila Temple. Or is it something more?

iQzL7Co
Celica still pines for Alm, after all these years.
I love these CGs.

1c4HwLI
Evil floating eye? Where have I seen this before... What sorcery is this, Jedah?

2-2: First Pirate Raid
08:27

Spoiler

2-2: First Pirate Raid
08:27

SsNT4mB

WGHj44U
Pirate King... Barth? Marth? Barf? Really? I think he was Daha in Gaiden.

Iq12fJu
The first of many ship maps. Super simple. It's just a single chokepoint.

Strategy: A basic chokepoint hold. Stick Saber at the bridge, have the mages behind him.
Then slowly advance every turn, taking out a pirate using magic, then advancing into his spot with Saber or Celica.

VsdEO4g
This map can be done just sitting there on your ship and having the pirates run into Saber, very little can go wrong here.

rqgVH6k
But it can be done in less turns by aggressively advancing across the bridge and taking the fight to them.

Battle Complete - 5 Turns

Act 2-3: Second Pirate Raid
08:48

Spoiler

Let's talk about Saber, our first of several Mercenaries on Celica's route.
OhCBc1m

His notable growths are 60% HP, 35% Atk, 35% Spd, 45% Def.
So his growths seem to point him towards being a defensive/tanky unit.
But his starting stats (only 4 Def, 22HP) don't lend themselves to that.
On the other hand, he starts with 10 Spd which is pretty great, so his 35% speed will be fine, though if he gets speed screwed he might be doubled by myrmidons/dread fighters later on.

So his bases and his growths point in different directions.
But he'll be fast enough to double just about everyone that isn't in the myrmidon line, so the defenses are welcome.
Though Valbar will serve as the #1 tank for Celica, if Saber is equipped with a shield he can act as secondary tank.

Act 2-3: Second Pirate Raid
08:48
HktnNZD

dvhV69D
More ships. Except this time, there's two paths between them.
The enemy pirates will rush forward and use both bridges to invade your ship.

Strategy: Send Saber to hold the right bridge with the mages backing him.
Send Celica to the left and have her fight by the mast on our ship. Three or so pirates will spill onto our boat but Celica can solo them.
Have Saber hold the right bridge and use the mages and him to take out the pirates, and have Genny healing him.
Use magic to take out the merc, physical attacks barely scratch him.
RUYHXaO

Mae's Lightning can reach across to the other ship. Super useful.
Sadly she's 1 speed away from doubling them (7speed - 5weight for Lightning). If only I gave her +SPD at the Spring.
BUT she takes a lot of damage from the archer. So have to be careful.

aRaVTVy
Celica easily handles the pirates that come over the left bridge. Saber and the mages hold the left side.

QJWBkH2
Another Leather Shield Mercenary. High attack, speed, and defense...
Aha, but only 1 Resistance. And we have 4 magic users!

So just have Saber hold the bridge and tank his hits, while the mages strike him down. It's like Alm's 1-3 leather merc... but easier because of the chokepoint and having more mages.

DCQAsAb

0kdEGj6
One of the pirates survived due to Celica missing, then ran away to heal.
This burns a turn. In other FEs he would have just attacked into my units and died on enemy phase. Not in Gaiden/Echoes, they have a sense of self preservation! Must be annoying for LTCs, stuff like this.

Battle Complete - 8 turns!

b2QQ3xx

Act 2-4: Pirate Fort
9:08

Spoiler

3byCQEj Iu3wkO2
Oh Celica, you have such a good heart. I'll not let that pirate filth touch you!

hzAxUAv w9gjIEI

This map seems pretty simple. The pirates are numerous, but not very strong.
The boss, self-styled pirate king Barth (who has an awesome pirate accent) is very vulnerable to magic... which is kind of a trend here in Act 2. Units/bosses that look strong but are very weak to magic.

The issue is these guys over here.
R18Vs2d m9PLWnF

Valbar, Kamui, Leon.
They will join you after this battle... if they survive.
They are controlled by the AI.
Which is actually a HUGE problem.

Here's what happened when I first tried this map in Gaiden (interesting stuff starts at about 17:50):
Leon recklessly charges into the boss range with almost no HP and promptly gets himself killed.

hqdefault.jpg

From my experience with Gaiden, the allied AI here is extremely reckless.
So you have to move fast enough to defeat enough enemies and perhaps even the boss before Leon gets himself killed.
If anything, the stupid AI creates a timer that kind of makes you move fast and makes sitting back and taking it slowly not a good idea.

Strategy: Split up my forces, sending Saber + Mae to the left, while Celica, Mae, and Genny go to the right bridge. Basically, move fast and take out the enemies who will move towards our ship so I can then rescue Valbar's crew and help them before someone there dies. The boss is easily dispatched with magic.

8kX8oCQ
A good start.

But the enemies ganged up on Leon.
n2fDd9S gcs9c8L

jdDA9XT uKj7pGd
Wow... Good job, Leon. Getting yourself killed by the pirates, just like Gaiden.
I'm not sure what I could have done.
He died before I could even get near him.
I expected this to happen, I tried to move fast... but the enemies just all ganged up on Leon, and he positioned himself horribly.

So, that's the first death of this ironman run... kind of? He was under AI control... and Boey, was the AI awful. And perhaps a bit unlucky.

7W3wnUQ
Barth is easily taken care of by Thunder magic from beyond the wall with it's 3 range.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand... my game crashed.

Right after this battle, my game crashed. Right after I defeated the boss. Seriously. I'm not making this up. I didn't even really care about losing Leon. I've played Gaiden without him before. It might have something to do with my custom firmware on my 3DS. This is the 2nd time Echoes has crashed for me.

Maybe it's just Mila's will that Leon survives. I have no choice but to re-do the map.

Act 2-4: Pirate Fort - Revisited

Spoiler

Act 2-4: Pirate Fort - Revisited

Due to circumstances outside my control (my game crashing), I have to redo this map.

I figure I may as well use this opportunity to try and save Leon. I know it's supposed to be a no-reset Ironman run, but my game did genuinely crash, so I have no choice but to redo the map.

My thinking is that if I get my units in the range of the enemies who attack Valbar and friends, the AI will choose to rush my team instead, thus taking the pressure off of Valbar's group. So I'd have to try and move even faster.

This time I'll try to move everyone to the right exit from the ship, and move further out on the first turn. Oh, and this time I actually equipped Celica with the Leather Shield to boost her defense to 8. I forgot about it the first time.
eZlAavu

The enemy still goes after Leon. Though a few more attack Valbar instead this time, so it's looking good?
KmsDxId

Oh my freaking goodness, not again. Leon is almost dead, and there's an enemy that can finish him off...
0ygIDWg

MiqRVCC
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT>!?!??!?!!?
The pirate runs beside Leon... and DOESN'T attack him! He just passes his turn!?
The pirate could have attacked and killed Leon, but he just stopped there?

What the...?
I think this might be something with the retreating to heal AI... but why on earth would that pirate NOT attack Leon there? It would have very likely killed him, and a dead Leon can't counterattack, can he. But nope, the pirate just stood there.
2dkCFSw

Oh well. I'll take it.
Leon died due to horrible allied AI last time, now he lives due to horrible enemy AI.

To the rescue! I block off the enemy's path to Leon.
SeQnaUo

eY6cJQF
Once again the boss is easily vanquished using magic, and this time I complete the map with all 3 of the green allies alive. Phew.

Looks like Mila really wanted Leon to get out alive, huh.

Battle Complete - 9 turns (?)

5B41Bg2 sF1RWiJ
Genny can now summon units! And Boey now has Thunder to attack at 3 range! Awesome!
I loved using Invoke in Gaiden. The summons make for great shields and are good for luring out enemies into favorable positions. Enemies tend to favor attacking summons over your actual units, so that's very helpful on an ironman run.

fef4SyC N5hWFv0
So at the Pirate Fort, we can recruit whoever survives of Valbar, Kamui, and Leon.

We also learn of the big, scary zombie dragon at the Seabound Shrine, which hides some great treasure.
l0QmTJ3 iVtaStw
Ok, ok, I get the hint. The necro dragon is weak to Seraphim magic. If anything, it's extremely difficult without it.
Celica learns Seraphim at level 5, which she'll easily get by the end of the next map.

lm7k4GM
That sweet pirate booty!
An Iron Sword, Rusty Shield, and Steel Sword to be specific.

OkW5lRf xPktEZe
Is this C support some meta-joke about how little there is to the characters' personality?

So what do you guys think: should I recruit Leon, or leave him?
Do I accept what happened the first time and go on without Leon, or do I take the game crashing and having to re-do the map as a sign that Leon was intended to live?

Act 2-5: Pirate Raid 3 - The Summoning
09:54

Spoiler

Act 2-5: Pirate Raid 3 - The Summoning
09:54
fNzVmHx

It's just a single enemy?
bxwvTLV

yYUjv3P
That's what I'm thinking, too...

I really got caught by surprise when I first did this map in Gaiden. I had zero clue this guy could summon units! Unlike Echoes, Gaiden gives you just about no information, so I had genuinely no idea that he would summon an army of the undead.
dxVvxlA

This map took me an hour and a half in Gaiden... but at least I got a lot of experience from it!

This map introduces you to Summoners... or Cantors as they are called here. Perhaps the most annoying pain in the rear in the game... until you get easy ways to deal with them much, much later on.

Heck, I even made a video about summoners in Gaiden.

hqdefault.jpg

Cantors.
Each turn, they can summon 0 to 8 terrors of a specific type.
Cantors will NOT attack you when you move in their range.
Cantors will NOT attack you on the enemy phase at all.
They will counterattack you when you attack them though.

JlsSkIi

This guy has some pretty heavy stats. The first actual challenging boss of the game.
So he has a very high attack, a decently high speed so that he can double your magic users, decent defenses, and high resistance.

AND he is on a supply tile he will not move off of. So he'll heal 5hp a turn and have 40% avoid from physical attacks.
Oh, and he has a self-heal for 5hp skill too.
So he will heal for a net of 10HP per turn. Yukes.

Thankfully, the revenants he summons are pathetically weak. High HP but not much else. They barely scratch even my more fragile units.

Initial Strategy: Move fast towards him. Establish a 4 unit defensive wall to block the zombies.
Attack the cantor with Mae and Boey's Thunder magic and Leon's bow so the Cantor can't counterattack. He may do high damage - but not at 3 range!

eLobLVk

This... didn't quite work.
Mae, Boey, and Leon did a net of 16 damage, assuming everyone hit.
The cantor heals for 10 per turn. And Leon only had a 34% hit chance... So the cantor was mostly outhealing my damage.

QU3IN3N nkYs4O6
But this won't work, either...

Revised Strategy: Turns out I forgot about the weapons acquired in the Pirate Fort.
I gave Celica the Iron Sword and Saber the Steel Sword.
Now, Celica can do 5 x 2 damage to him, and Saber can do 6 x 2.
This will bring the Cantor down much quicker.
While he may do huge damage to Celica and Saber on the counter, he won't attack on enemy phase so there is no fear of getting killed on enemy phase after being damaged on player phase (and the zombies do 1 damage to them).

yzdSVEm Nc3SsJe

I need Celica to get to level 5 to learn Seraphim for the Necro Dragon coming up, so she needs to strike the final blow.
DJrcyl0

And she misses. Waste of a turn.

4zn3msE
There we go!

Battle Complete - 11 turns
Could have been 9, but 1 turn delay to let Celica get the final blow, and another turn because she missed twice.
WqTkOSP

Turned out not be all that bad. The revenants summoned were super weak, and fast melee units could do decent damage to the counter. Taking heavy damage on the cantors counterattack didn't really matter as the cantor doesn't attack on enemy phase so he won't kill anyone.

So I had to revise my initial strategy, but it all worked out. MUCH faster than I expected, too! Only 11 turns, and it could have been 9.

Act 2-6: Beast Hunt
10:30

Spoiler

Act 2-6: Beast Hunt
10:30
juDHxEG

Time to finally take on the dread Necro Dragon...
9IwPrPg

Wait, there's TWO?!?
Well, that was unexpected. Gaiden only had 1. Not that I expect it to be an issue.

The Necro Dragons look intimidating. 16 atk, 13 def, 12 res... and a huge 8 flying movement!!!
4Ko54J1

But we have a secret weapon up our sleeves. Or should I say not-so-secret, because the game tells you about five times.

Celica's Seraphim magic, learned at level 5. It's actually the only way to do more than a couple points of damage to the Necro Zombie. It should take them out in 2 hits.
UGxGaMJ

I'm not sure how I feel about the way Echoes presents this.
There's this enemy hyped up as super dangerous, but you also have a super easy way to take it out... that the game spells out for you about five times. I'd rather the game NOT tell you Seraphim is super effective outright and beat you over the head with it. Maybe give you a subtle hint and let you figure it out for yourself.

I have an even more interesting trick up my sleeve.

Invoke.
8JzOi0U LIhslAg

These mist soldiers act essential as "living shields." (Though they're not really alive, are they). I found in Gaiden the AI tends to prefer to attack these summoned soldiers instead of your actual characters. So they can be used as shields to bait out enemy attacks while your characters are ignored. They can also do some chip damage to tough enemies.

So these summoned units are SUPER useful, especially in an ironman run. They make things so much safer, they'll absorb a ton of enemy attacks and save your units from taking a lot of damage. And they might steal some exp once in a while, but better that than losing a unit.

ZAw6KTz MICtsYg
So pretty much only Celica with Seraphim does any damage. That's ok.

INVOKE!!! The summoned soldiers act to protect my units and prevent the dragon zombies from flying around and reaching my healers.
cFCNmiO
Get those fragile mages the heck out of there!

TEdcOeO
We have you surrounded!

0NP2LEQ
Seraphim... pretty feathers, but you don't actually see a little group of fairies/angels flying over to hit the enemy like in Gaiden.

Battle Complete - 5 Turns

That wasn't so bad, was it?

eQAGjXq
We also get the Prayer Ring. It basically heals for 5HP a turn. That's cool. In Gaiden I gave it to Genny so she can self-heal so she can use Invoke more often for summoning shenanigans.
Or it could be given to a durable frontline fighter for more survivability so that you don't have to retreat to a healer to heal up.

But in Gaiden, there were a lot less weapons and shields, so there was more reason to give rings to melee units as there were less useful weapons for them. I think I'll keep it on Genny to allow her to self-heal up enough to use Invoke multiple times for certain battles.

That's another thing that makes Gaiden/Echoes different from modern FEs. Equippable rings (and shields) - not just weapons. I think FE4 had them too.

Act 2: Seabound Shrine
10:44

Spoiler

Act 2: Seabound Shrine
10:44

My approach to dungeons: I won't go out of my way to grind, but I'll fight any enemies I do happen to run into on my way through.

6wy74ne
Looking pretty cool! Celica uses fire magic to light her way instead of a lantern like Alm. Nice touch.

Another open square map with fodder monsters, it seems... But hey, this tileset looks pretty cool.
STaEnK8

And another, but this time with skeletons. 9 defense? Ouch. But they go down quick to magic anyway.
pc9Xq26 DMrYPGA

After those 2 fights, it's the Mila Shrine.
zkD35m9 vSsy6O5
This fisherman is starving, asks for "anything", but then says a loaf of bread ain't good enough? Ha!
Feeding him does result in 30 silver marks. Which you get plenty of by cutting down grass around here anyway. Celica's Lawn Care. Has a nice ring to it.
Oh, and a hint about a not so secret passage in the next room.

I wonder what lies behind this...
TmuKuyk

Uh oh. I bet these statues will come to life and attack us!
EsCaz56

rVMZTw8 H3AERJe
Gargoyles. High movement range, high speed, flying. VERY annoying. They become less of a threat later on as your frontline units defense will outscale the gargoyle's attack. But early on they can be a huge threat to your backline as they can double pretty much any non-merc early on for decent damage if they unit is fragile. So these gargoyles necessitate protecting your backline, but it's not always so easy when they have 8 movement and there's little terrain to use for cover or blocking.

Just gonna throw my melee units to take the first hits. These early shrine battles really don't involve much strategy. Just advance with melee units, make a frontline, and protect your ranged units behind it.
khOziq8

Genny gets exposed but a quick Invoke protects her! Don't want to take unnecessary risks!
Ufc4EOM

After defeating the gargs, we get the real prize of the shrine:
2qCfovs
The Blessed Sword. 3 might, 0 weight, and super effective against monsters.
I think it might also heal 5 hp per turn in Gaiden, not sure on that, don't know if it does that here.
Celica already has Seraphim which is super effective against monsters, so I might want to give it to someone else.

Kind of a nice looking dungeon, this was.
fJ8ayJF

One last thing in the Sea Shrine: The Springs.
First, there's +HP and +SKL.
Neither seem very useful stats to increase.
I'm thinking maybe +HP to Genny so she can eventually Invoke / Expel more often without needing healing.

In the "secret" area, there's also a +Level and +Res shrines.
I don't know if both of these are linked for a combined 3 uses, or are 3 uses each.
Not sure what to do with these either.
+Res is interesting because characters have almost no RES growth... but 1 point isn't really going to make much of a difference. Units tend to have either very high or very low resistance. The former don't really need more, the latter will still be very vulnerable to magic even with a boost.
Maybe Celica most deserves it, she has middling RES.

As for the +Level... this might be better saved for later when experience gains are slower?

As for the Mila Statue: Only Saber can promote so far (level 7).
He gets +4HP, +1Atk, +1SKL, +1SPD, +1Mov.
1kunxih

Act 2-7: Fourth Pirate Raid
11:30

Spoiler

I've decided to save the fountains for later.
Turns out the Res and Level fountains are separate and have 2 uses each.
I've also decided to wait until level 10 to promote Saber.

Act 2-7: Fourth Pirate Raid
11:30
4HVWK1j

More ships? Not only that, but we start running into the infamous re-used maps here.
It's the exact same as the first ship map. Pretty lame. Gaiden does this a lot, re-using maps... and the boring single chokepoint or wide open square ones too.
yVzeqey

Except now there's two archers and a few mercs. Not that they make things much more difficult.
Valbar barely takes any damage from the merc, and Saber is fast enough now to not get doubled.
M1bnRFF 8laB5Hu
Mercs? Valbar doesn't care.

Strategy: Exact same as last time. Stick a tanky unit on the bridge (now in addition to Saber we have Valbar, and can give Celica or Kamui the Leather Shield).
You could just hold the bridge as a chokepoint.
tvCTeed

Or, to move faster, take out the pirates immediately ahead of your units using the mages and Leon, and advance aggressively up the bridge and boarding the enemy ship with your melee units to save turns.
v0JPJpn bZ6ZLWq

Also, Celica is one-rounding the pirates now. Nice!
to7KcvB

Battle Complete - 4 Turns

Mae and Celica B Support!
uRxX7XG 4X7UeY3
Aww, Mae has a crush on someone! She's a real fun character.
Celica's so nice too. Love em both!

Act 2-8: Fifth Pirate Raid
11:55

Spoiler

Act 2-8: Fifth Pirate Raid
11:55
OH8jmlV

May as well note that neither this map nor the previous one have any story to them. A tad unusual to have maps with no story at all amongst modern FEs. But I guess the game will make up for that by throwing way too much story at us at the end of the Act.

Oh look, another re-used ship map. Just like the second ship map! Except at night!
9fildNV

Ok, this one has significantly different enemies, so I can kind of give it a pass for that.

Interestingly, all the enemies on this map are Arcanists.
So we run into the issue that our melee units have low resistance and so take a lot of damage from their magic, but our magic units which have high resistance... do low damage to these arcanists because they also have high resistance.

Oh yeah, and the boss. He has a Mire spell, which has 10 might and 3 range, giving him a total of 20 magic attack. Ouch.
I actually didn't notice this at first until I got hit with it...
cEr3jdX

Strategy: Have Genny start alone on the left and cast Invoke. This will split the enemy forces and occupy their turns with attacking the illusions, making it much easier to handle the enemy while sustaining little damage ourselves.

ccHR5L3
Genny will be fine, she has super high Res.
The enemies will attack these summons anyway.

Note how the enemy forces split as a result. The regular arcanists went to the left where the summons are, the boss went to the right on his own.This actually worked out far better than I expected.
T2umdRe

LAmeJyy pkHrfcK
The boss was easily eliminated when he's isolated like this. Started off shooting him with Leon, Kamui finished him off.

The boss does a lot of damage to melee units with Mire, but takes a lot of damage from them too.
RkwPT32

Now it's just a matter of moving to the left and taking out the remaining enemies. They'll attack the illusions on their turn, so don't need to worry about taking damage.
NmeHlgZ 2hfPMz6

I should also note that Leon finally came in useful here.
He can attack the Arcanists from outside their range, doing just enough damage that other units can then one shot them, thus avoiding any damage.
Archers are a great way to take out enemy mages in this game in general, so this is a tactic I will be using a lot.

This one little rascal managed to run away...
niHTsVJ

UVZlr87

Battle Complete - 6 Turns

And that's a wrap for Act 2! Or at least it would be, if this was Gaiden.

There's still a little bit left to Act 2, but I'll take care of that after I wake up.

Just glad to be done with the ship maps.

Act 2 Summary
2-1: 8:15 / 4 turns
2-2: 8:27 / 5 turns
2-3: 8:48 / 8 turns
2-4: 9:08 / 9 turns
2-5: 9:54 / 11 turns
2-6 Beast Hunt: 10:30 / 5 turns
Seabound Shrine: 10:44 / 2 + 2 + 2 + 4 turns
2-7: 11:30 / 4 turns
2-8: 11:55 / 6 turns
Castle Zofia Ambush: 12:30 / 4 turns

Total Play Time: 12:55
Total Turn Count for Act 2: 66 turns
Total Turn Count: 81+66= 147 turns
Casualties: 0* (Leon died under AI control originally but game crashed so I re-did the map and he lived)
Resets: 0

Seabound Shrine Springs (+Skl or +HP, +res, +level): Saved for later

Overall, Act 2 was quite easy, was mostly just ships, and not much happened story wise aside from the beginning and end.
I still really enjoyed it, mainly because of the increased focus on story and especially the characters from Gaiden.
It's been smooth sailing so far - but in Act 3, things finally start to get interesting gameplay wise.

Units:

Spoiler

Celica Lv 9 - Genny Lv 7
qQCqNg5 ThkaWCM
Mae Lv 7 - Boey Lv 6
iFzSqOj EkEg3Zz
Saber Lv 8 - Kamui Lv 7
wjAk3pP vlgv6sk
Valbar Lv 3 - Leon Lv 7
TcQW0yl fb9oWuu

Celica is doing quite good. May is turning out really nice, she keeps getting speed - having a mage that could double and hit hard is super great!
Boey is a tad slow and has stats in all the wrong places. Genny is mostly going to heal anyway, but she's a lot easier to level and better than in Gaiden.
Saber is turning out quite good... and is better than Kamui in every stat.
Leon seems pretty weak. He got rather poor growths, no speed and only 1 or 2 attack.
Valbar is promoted so he gains XP slower but he's a slow tank and will remain that way.

Act 3 Start

Spoiler

Act 3 Start
Z4H6hUK

I'm going to start on Alm's route, go about halfway through, then move to Celica's. This is so one side doesn't get overwhelmed with enemy reinforcements that spawn on the map.

XKAFqfG ghtoQra
Everyone's talking about Alm and Celica's little fight.
They missed each other so much... what happened?

0OSxylH Ej4BnNF
Aw, Clair has a little crush on Alm?

xelvisU
Might not want to look into the sun there, Alm.

es9yXiz
Went back to give the man in Ram that wine... and all we got for our trouble is some moldy cheese? Thanks, we travelled halfaway across the country to get you that wine.

So this is really cool. You get to control TWO seperate armies at once on the world map. Part of what makes Gaiden/Echoes really unique. Pretty cool how it does the route split, you can progress on either route at your own pace.
kuSzUqt 2w5DIF1

Act 3-1 Alm - Northern Zofia Battle
12:55

Spoiler

Act 3-1 Alm - Northern Zofia Battle
12:55
OSZTLJ0

28BaEKM xezUWoV qA2DObk
Fernand, that traitor! He'd rather betray his country than fight with commoners? These elitists!
Also, a nice cinematic battle between Fernand and Clive. They're really stepping things up with the animations!

So, the map itself. Basically a HUGE wide open square with a river that cuts it in two. Hey, I think we've fought here before!
This time, we won't get to the river bridge chokepoint in time. So this map may as well be a wide open rectangle.

EzUPr5S h8fNMuG
lBoZ7H9 kE7TLsV

3 sets of enemies here.
First, a squad of soldiers, archers and knights.
Second, a group of four cavaliers + an arcanist.
Third, two witches and the Boss, Zakson, a knight.

Witches...
j5yn9sh
They can teleport ANYWHERE on the map. Kinda fast magic users. In theory, they are a huge threat.
But if this is anything like Gaiden, the witch AI is rather wonky.
Sometimes they teleport and attack you right away.
Sometimes they walk and don't teleport at all.
Sometimes they walk for a few turns and then teleport.
There's no real way to tell what they'll do, their behaviour is rather unpredictabel.
Who they target... seems somewhat random. Multiple witches could easily teleport and take gang up on your slow, low res units... yet in Gaiden, not once did they ever do that. If the AI was actually good, they would be a huge problem. But with Echoes keeping the AI much like Gaiden... witches usually end up doing whatever and attacking whoever without much rhyme or reason, and so they're not much of a threat.

Strategy: Advance North and engage the first group in the wide open field. Take out the archers first if possible. The knights have very high defense so magic must be used to take them out. The witches may or may not teleport to my force, if they do, take them out ASAP. Ideal, take out this first group before the cavalry from the west arrives.

Formation wise, I'll use a right-angle type formation with melee units up front, blocking off the enemy form reaching my mages and archers.

Advancing into the enemy range. Taking a few hits from archers is ok. They don't do much damage. But better take them out sooner than later before they start to chip away at my more fragile units.
MKG9ttr

One of the witches teleport to attack Clive the first turn. Easily took her out. The second witch decided to walk instead. See, what the witches do is completely inconsistent and unpredictable.

The enemy makes a line... what kind of formation is that? I advance to take out the archers, then move my melee units so as to protect my ranged units.
QqzlmPb

From then on, slowly advance and meet the enemy forces head on, making sure that the melee units block off the ranged units. I take a middle of the road approach between being aggressive and attacking and staying back in a defensive formation. Trying to both at the same time I guess.
5BaGrnN wuCAApD

By the time the cavalry reach me, I've taken out most of the first group and have a solid defensive formation set up. This is the right-angle / square I was talking about, with my melee units taking up the north and west flanks, and my ranged units in the square behind them.
zwX03Tm

0lHhL6L l7kkzqi
Fernand, the mini-boss.
For all his talk, he's barely stronger than a generic cavalier.

And all we get for defeating him is... a loaf of bread?

Q1qSrHD
The boss and the witch have almost overlapping range. I back up my units out of the witches range. I don't want both the boss and the witch to attack the same unit, that could be trouble.

There's a problem. The witch teleports to attack Silque. She's also in range of a cavalier, who after the witch's attack can kill Silque. A mistake in positioning I guess. I considered that Silque could survive an attack from the cavalier, but not that the witch could attack her!

UH OH!!!!!MAJOR DANGER

z0SmyXc
Silque ends up critting the cavalier on her counter. We're good. Phew... Real close call. Almost lost Silque there.

The boss, Zakson. High attack and defense, but vulnerable to magic.
He'll only take about 1 damage from my melee units, but he's weak to magic.
Ixe60QC 6cZSFlw
Kliff and Gray's Lightning Sword easily take him out.

This joker ran away... ugh. Wasting a couple turns as Clair catches up.
Must be so annoying on LTC when this happens, this enemy retreat AI.
VZ31fRP

Battle Complete - 9 Turns
skHRmSO

Not a difficult map. Heck, it's a wide open square.

But with the variety of enemies (archers, knights, witches, cavaliers) you have to be smart about positioning, especially when the cavaliers arrive so they don't run past your frontline and tear up your mages and archers.

As you saw, a smartly placed square / right angle front line does the trick.

So this map is mostly an exercise in open field positioning. Get used to it, a lot of maps will be like this.

Act 3-2 Alm: First Battle of Zofia Forest
14:03

Spoiler

Act 3-2 Alm: First Battle of Zofia Forest
14:03
qO0eNp8

sdKfxW3 YSZjg1D
So, this is yet another wide open square map.
Now, there are plenty of trees. But all the enemies are magic users. And magic is not affected by terrain.
So we do not benefit from the terrain, since all the enemy damage we're facing is magic, but most of Alm's army is physical, so the enemy benefits from the forest.

Strategy: Move forward at a moderate pace, baiting one or two arcanists per turn. The enemies are spread out, so you can split your forces in two then pick them off one by one. As long as you don't put your units in the range of too many arcanists, should be easy going.

o1QLWHj

The arcanists can't solo your units, and if only one arcanist can attack any one of your units... then there shouldn't be any chance of them dying.
srGbq2w

Most of the arcanists only have Mire (translated as Dora in Gaiden), but the last two have Miasma.
YKnE0LO

Mire has 10 might. With 12 attack, the boss has 22 magic damage... which, considering most units only have a couple points of resistance, is a ton. But at least he can't double. Oh, and Miasma has 3 range...

5RM6Krf

Taking on the boss, tough magic enemy... Aha, archers!

KtiFQ4z
After an attack from Tobin and Python from beyond the bosses' range, and the boss is at pretty low health. At which it's easy cleanup for just about anyone.

Clair crit seals the day!
fExeMnj

Battle Complete - 5 turns
FjeMoTJ

Nice and easy!

Faye x Alm B Support
urMRQTA 0Vo7v73

Oh wow Faye... and she just say's it to Alm? Wow, she's hold, doesn't even hide her feelings to her crush?