Favorite and Least Favorite Characters So Far

1 minute ago, Wayward Alchemist said:

Yeah, but that doesn't really give her license to be as mean as she is towards him. Any time he appears in the story he is either trying to reassure Celica of his support of her or offer her some reasonable, cautious advice, but Mae always comes in and calls him a weak, cowardly, or both.

If Boey truly cared he would've asked her to stop or something and she clearly would've. Boey loves to argue with her to begin with. It's not like she's harassing him it's just their thing. Mae has it bad for him (Confirmed in Celica and Mae's support) and Boey loves her as well.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Wayward Alchemist said:

Yeah, but that doesn't really give her license to be as mean as she is towards him. Any time he appears in the story he is either trying to reassure Celica of his support of her or offer her some reasonable, cautious advice, but Mae always comes in and calls him a weak, cowardly, or both.

I'll grant you that.  I enjoyed the slight chewing out Boey gave her when discussing having to "zap[pin'] real folks" and the fact that he'd mentally prepared for the possibility while she hadn't.  A pity that only lasts for one support and she's rapidly over it come the B support.  Would've like to have one area where he outclassed her. :(

I'm currently on Act 4.

Favorites

Python: He's hysterical, if a bit lackadaisical. He definitely has an ulterior motive that I've yet to figure out. 

Kamui: He's just so... cheery. I don't know. That cheesy grin he cracks when the battle forecast is in his favor always puts me in a good mood. I can't describe it. 

Mathilda: She's beautiful, badass, and compassionate. Also, that voice is silky-smooth!

Est: God, she's so adorable. She desperately wants to impress her sisters and peers and her unwavering devotion to them is best represented through her supports with Palla and Catria. 

Saber: Dad!Merc is a bit of an oddball. He struck me as aloof and indifferent at first, but he quickly became one of my favorite characters due to his rationally-oriented thinking. He seems like he has the coolest head in the army.

Gray: Real laid-back fella. I'd have a drink or two with him.

Alm: I genuinely enjoy how he oscillates between being dry and sardonic yet serious and loyal to his army. He carries a heavy burden on his shoulders, and I suspect that his sense of humor helps to minimize the stress, even if only a little. 

Deen: Arguably a more controversial choice seeing as he's surly edgelord material dialed up to 11. But at the end of the day, he's wed only to his duty, and I find that to be an admirable quality in warfare. The less you're able to be receptive to, the easier it is to focus on the objective goals of war.

Least Favorites

Clive: You're real boring, man. Sorry. I'd say you're a good unit, but Mathilda outclasses you badly on my file, and she looks a hell of a lot better when kicking ass. Outside of combat, Clive is as stale as they come. The game makes it seem like he has such a significant role yet it feels like I hardly know a thing about him. His character just isn't memorable. At least Forsyth has a sense of humor.

Genny: I'm kind of put off by her excessive humility and quietness. Feels like a trope that's been done and redone over and over - the quiet cleric with impeccable manners. As with Clive, nothing is really revealed about her judging from the supports she has in my game.

Fernand: What an insufferable, haughty prick. He's a royal boot-licker turned coward if I have ever seen one.

Berkut: Same as Fernand. Spoiled commander who clearly is only after his own self-interest. He's also rash, which is perhaps one of the worst character traits a commander could possess.

Delthea: I hate that she's such a good unit, because she's a bratty shitchild. She bears the telltale signs of a future pathological narcissist, though I will tentatively give her some brownie points for her enriching supports with Luthier. 

21 hours ago, Selena4Lyfe said:

Because his family was a bunch of cretins to some desperate peasants in their territory and the peasants violently revolted, he refuses to understand what led to that revolt and instead has resigned to basically fuck over anyone who isn’t of noble station?

Actually. We don't know the full details on Fernand's entire family getting killed. All we know is that the villagers decided to raid his estate and put everyone to the sword due to the famine that was going on. Whether Fernand's family was treating them poorly or the villagers were just huge dicks, we don't know. It's also worth noting that Clive speaks very highly of Fernand's family and calls his dad an honorable man, so I don't think they were being abusive to the villagers.

28 minutes ago, Xanaxian said:

At least Forsyth has a sense of humor.

In the Japanese version, Forsyth is just focused on his goal of becoming a knight, and is pretty serious about it, so he doesn't have the humorous side that 8-4 gave him. Can't blame 8-4 for changing him at all.

Just finished act 3! Can't say I have to many least favorites but I do have a number of favorites: 

Saber: I love this guy. While it helps that he has gotten some of the best levels in the game for me, I also love his plot relevance and personality. His snark he needed to combat Celica's seriousness and I love how he is deeper than he seems. 

Sonya: I like her design, she's a good mage who can warp. Not much more to say there. 

Gray and Tobin: I had to list these two together as while they are good on their own it's together where they really shine. The character interactions between them are my favorite in the entire series. They also happen to be some of the best units from Alm's route for me. 

Leon: I love his snarky, flirty personality and he is easily the best unit in the entire game for me thus far. 

Mae: What can I say I love that spunk. Her constant drive and hype was really what kept me going back to Celica's route, even more so than Celica herself. She's also an excellent unit. 

Lukas: His calm and patient demeanor is a shining example of what a knight is to me and his complex back story yet continuous drive put him in my top ten FE characters quick. He has also been an utter tank for me, plowing through the enemy as he takes on hit after hit. 

Alm: An excellent protag with just the right amount of Protag traits combined with his own personality. I'm usually bored by the Protags in FE games but Alm has one me over. Definitely one of my fave lords.

Clair: Okay last one! Clair has one my favorite personalities and comes off as a somewhat naive girl. She also has one of the best character designs in the game. She's become somewhat of a flying tank for me, not that I'm complaining.  

I've seen a lot of people saying that they don't like Delthea because she's a brat, which is understandable. That really doesn't sound like a character I would like either. But still, I find it a little odd that people keep shitting on a 13 year old. Like dude, she's 13. Give her time. I can definitely say that the people I knew around 3 years ago were like that too. And I can also say that they are much more mature now than they were.

Still, I haven't met her yet in my file, so I can't really say much about her personality from my own perspective. But it just bothered me that a 13 year old was apparently causing so much trouble and receiving so much hatred. (Also I peaked into her supports just a little bit and I don't see all the fuss??? Maybe her introduction in the plot will give me more)

Maybe when I get to her I won't like her that much either, but I won't be hating on her for acting the way a 13 year old does.

Well here we go:

Favorites so far:

Gray:  A really cool character! i enjoyed a lot his personality and character interactions.

Clair: This highborn lady has interesting moments to offer.

Silque: I like her sweet personality, her story with Jesse and her far from great support with Faye.

Faye: I know she is very annoying and rude but her dialogue when Celica goes to Ram village make me see her in a more positive vision, she is far from being a good character but i'm having fun with her very simple self.

Saber: The awesome cool old guy that celica's party needed in their journey.

Celica: I have issues with her from time to time in the plot but still she is a nice character. I actually like her more for gameplay reasons than her plot participation i could call her my problematic fave.

About least favorites i'm not disliking anyone so far.

Edited by pinguyFrank

On 5/22/2017 at 5:32 PM, Doof said:

My issue with Faye in comparison to the other characters of a similar archetype is that theres so little to her.... she doesn't speak of anything BUT Alm so she ends up being very one note. Unlike Tharja, who has more to her and actually talks with other people, Faye is only Alm's stalker and that's it. She's definitely on the lower end of favorites for me but I don't hate her. I like her as a unit but I forget she exists characterwise.

My favorites are Lukas, Gray and Leon.

Unfortunately, linear characters like Faye were pretty much most of the cast of Fire Emblem Fates

I'm only going by playable characters here when taking into account their designs, back-stories, personalities and character motivation. Also if I did not mention a character it's because I found them alright, but just didn't stand out to me simply and I'll mention for some of the characters my reasoning though some of the reasons are mentioned already.

Favorites:

Alm

Kliff

Faye - A very unpopular character I notice but for my own reasons I feel she can be someone to relate to for me personally and I think even to others as she is a character that is stuck in the past remembering all the good childhood memories which I do think are what we hold the most dear and how good it would be to go back to that ordinary but peaceful life with no responsibilities without a care in the world. Alm handles their A support together the right way not giving her a false sense of hope to cling to as the past is the past. Faye's reasons for joining the army are not bad as she just wants to keep Alm safe and support him whatever way she can with the hope that Alm will acknowledge all that she has done for him and reciprocate her feelings. I do think if she had a support with Celica she would be seen a brighter light then but her support with how it ends with Silque is really all there is.

Lukas

Python

Zeke

Tatiana

Celica

Boey - I have a thing for dark skin white hair characters if it wasn't obvious. But seeing him as a mage the first I saw him was welcoming given the designs as of late with other entries. I really like his banter with Mae which they both bring each other to life.

Genny - I like her design as she's a pretty cute (good thing her art is even good in Heroes).

Saber

Leon - He's my favorite archer in the game and pretty much everyone else explained already about him. 

Kamui - He's my favorite mercenary in the game as I really like his design and he's funny. A shame he wasn't a character in Birthright as he fits in the crowd as I didn't like the majority of the playable cast in that game which disappointed me in being a step down in comparison to Awakening and Conquest (the playable cast here is few thankfully which is what I prefer as a long cast of characters really irritates me). 

Then there's also his other ending for where he instead sees to making Jesse's ambition come true and is titled as "the Steel Amidst the Sand." which granted may conflict with his wanderer tendencies but at least he seems more capable of the job and even then he isn't truly tied down as he's still a mercenary through and through still being able to go to other places just that he has to lead.

Whitewings (Est is for sure the weakest of them for me. I'm torn between Palla and Catria.)

Sonya - I really like her design as it's not in your face and I liked her back-story along with her relationship with Genny.

Masked Knight

Least favorites:

Clive - Pretty much what everyone else has already explained about him but if I were to compare him to another character given his role as the temporary leader he reminds me a bit of Kaname Ohgi from Code Geass. Not extremely bad but just overall disappointing like Tobin just brings a good point to Gray until he's memed to shut up. I cannot see what Mathilda sees in him other than being a nice guy but again same comparison with Ohgi and even his own love interest.

Luthier - Ugh... I knew I would dislike him from his hair color leaving a bad first impression reminding me of Peri when she was first revealed as a character before Fates was released.

Delthea - Alright I understand she just wants to be a ordinary kid which that in itself is what makes her bland which is something I do not like seeing in my *ahem* "beloved series characters" (quote from FE Heroes trailer) but even worse than Clive especially given how her ending she decides to lock away her magic (which frankly to me is selfish and I gotta agree with Forskyth when he has the pep talk with Python regarding his own abilities) despite being incredibly gifted, especially when what if something bad happens in the future to you or your loved ones and you wish you had your magic then to prevent it.

Jesse - I do not care for his personality at all and how he got himself to where he is like Boey said is a miracle with just how rash he can be when he followed Est. Good on him for his character motivation but I don't see the drive for it and how this guy can run his own nation is baffling and I just don't like flirts like him unless there is a reasoning to it and they have other stuff going for them (Yes, not a huge fan of Sain but I do think Gray is alright though he is the lowest on my list of Alm's friends for me. So Joshua, Inigo and Niles are the types I happen to like for what instantly comes to mind as they really stand out.)

Deen - His design is too overly edgy and he's just not impressive compared to Sonya when it comes to deciding between the two to choose.

Edited by AbsoluteZer0Nova

I love Boey and Mae. They're banter is always making me laugh.

I also really like Kliff, Leon, Saber, Clair, Tobin, and Alm. Honestly I like pretty much everybody in this game.

I don't really like Celica and I absolutely can not stand Faye. Her obsession with Alm is super annoying. If it weren't for the fact that she is so useful as a healer, then she would have been benched in a heartbeat.

I've added the Whitewings to my favorites list.  In particular Est and Palla.  Est is so bubbly and eager to please!  And her overactive imagination reminds me of a girl from my neighborhood!  She's so cute!

As for Palla?  I love her for her relationship with her sisters, but even more so for one post battle line.

"I will discharge my duty."

THE LOCALIZATION TEAM KNEW WHAT THEY WERE DOING, THE PIGS! xD

Edited by Selena4Lyfe

I like whoever I ended up using the most. So it's Faye to me. As a saint with an A support with Alm, she has got herself an infinite-use Nosferatu that hits 80% of the time that can be used to clear the battlefield in most of Act 4.

I also like Mae for being a high damage output mage. Give her the magic ring and she can take care of herself well (Archanist? You can't do anything if I'm not in your range in the first place). Too bad she doesn't have a particularly high RES.

And mage Kliff for being such a high-DEF mage. And Tobin for having surprisingly good accuracy for an Echoes archer. You may have noticed that I don't have the melee guys here, because my playstyle favours those with good range.

…Oh, in story terms, you mean? My top fav is actually… still Faye. Maybe it's the "pretty girl with a dark side" thing. Actually, in her relationship with Alm, I'm more willing to blame Alm for ignoring someone who so obviously has a thing for him. Not that he's required to respond to her feeling, but… well, I just feel sorry for her. It's not really Alm's fault. That said, a child of destiny marrying another child of destiny feels a bit too much of a cliché.

And Clair, I guess. I didn't like her at first, but her sweeter sides show a lot in the supports and the later story dialog. the DLC helps too.

Least favourite is probably Berkut. The main story pretty much explains why.

Edited by nocturnal YL

3 hours ago, AbsoluteZer0Nova said:

Genny - I like her design as she's a pretty cute (good thing her art is even good in Heroes).

Isn't it really unfitting? Genny is practically comically meek, yet she's got a pose that wouldn't look out of place on characters like Camilla. I just found it strange, all things considered.

14 hours ago, Carter said:

Like dude, she's 13. Give her time.

I'll just wait for this fictional 13-year-old to grow up and stop irritating me, then.

2 hours ago, Thane said:

Isn't it really unfitting? Genny is practically comically meek, yet she's got a pose that wouldn't look out of place on characters like Camilla. I just found it strange, all things considered.

I'll just wait for this fictional 13-year-old to grow up and stop irritating me, then.

Well... thanks a lot. I didn't think of that until you brought it up. I guess R.I.P. innocent image thoughts of Genny. I am gay so they really were just innocent thoughts.

17 minutes ago, AbsoluteZer0Nova said:

Well... thanks a lot. I didn't think of that until you brought it up. I guess R.I.P. innocent image thoughts of Genny. I am gay so they really were just innocent thoughts.

I lost that image the moment she told Celica that she actually preferred older men (Act 3 base conversation). Was this "localised" away?

18 minutes ago, nocturnal YL said:

I lost that image the moment she told Celica that she actually preferred older men (Act 3 base conversation). Was this "localised" away?

Depends, I mean how did she convey it? Like it could just be she prefers guys around her age that are older.

Edit: Alright I found it word for word and she mentions how Celica found Alm with the two of them being around the same age looking good together. She prefers someone who is older because "That way you feel like they’re really taking care of you." which I can see her point there because usually when you're with someone who is older they're more reliable given their experience. At best I think she's looking for someone who is about 17 to their early 20s, but that's just my speculation as I'm going by essentially Lyn's age of being 15 in Japan.

Edited by AbsoluteZer0Nova

27 minutes ago, AbsoluteZer0Nova said:

Depends, I mean how did she convey it? Like it could just be she prefers guys around her age that are older.

Edit: Alright I found it word for word and she mentions how Celica found Alm with the two of them being around the same age looking good together. She prefers someone who is older because "That way you feel like they’re really taking care of you." which I can see her point there because usually when you're with someone who is older they're more reliable given their experience. At best I think she's looking for someone who is about 17 to their early 20s, but that's just my speculation as I'm going by essentially Lyn's age of being 15 in Japan.

The common fan pairing is her with Saber though lol.

25 minutes ago, AbsoluteZer0Nova said:

I was under the impression that she simply meant older relative to her own age, since the topic on hand was Celica and Alm. In the JP version, she simply mentioned she preferred someone older without specifying any age range.

But then again, both Genny and Saber had endings with unspecified lovers... I'm probably reading too much here; those two don't even talk at all or have any kind of support.

I think it's less about the idea that she likes older guys, and more that this really soft-spoken, child-like (in appearance) person suddenly mentioning relationships at all that took me off guard.

Just now, nocturnal YL said:

I was under the impression that she simply meant older relative to her own age, since the topic on hand was Celica and Alm. In the JP version, she simply mentioned she preferred someone older without specifying any age range.

Hide contents

But then again, both Genny and Saber had endings with unspecified lovers... I'm probably reading too much here; those two don't even talk at all or have any kind of support.

I think it's less about the idea that she likes older guys, and more that this really soft-spoken, child-like (in appearance) person suddenly mentioning relationships at all that took me off guard.

The Saber x Genny pairing goes all the way back to original Gaiden, so don't worry, it's not just you lol. That base convo wasn't even in the original.

So, after a stupidity-incuduced Game Over during the final battle, I decided to take a break and look through the forums before trying again.

Favourites:

• Delthea: I like her interactions with Luthier and Clair, and she's a walking nuke. Her bratty personality doesn't bother me much.
  • Leon: Great personality, and pretty reliable as a unit (even though he got speed screwed in my first playthrough, and mostly hung back to soften up enemies)
  • Saber: An all around badass, and some story presence added to the mix.
  • Genny: Nice personality, and Invoke is pretty broken. Unless an enemy can outright ORKO one of your units in range, it will ALWAYS target the Ghost Soldiers.

Least Favourites:

• Clive, Forsyth and Python: Not because of their personalities, but because they felt like complete garbage gameplay wise from the get go. 
  • Atlas: Holy moly, he just sucks. Terrible speed and defenses make him a liability in battle, and you can't even fix this somewhat by promoting him until you got through most of Chapter 3 - He leaves the party if you go north from the graveyard before saving his siblings from Grieth. Not that becoming a mercanary would help him much, because there are three other guys competing for the good swords.
  • Berkut: At first I felt pity for him during his fall into despair, but a certain action of his late in the story put him squarely into the irredeemable category for me.

Now let's talk about Faye, because I need to put her into her own category to describe my feelings about her.

I liked her when I first saw her artwork. Really cute. Her character description about her crush on Alm worried me a bit, I stayed optimistic. Then, when I actually started playing the game and read her dialogue, my first impression, garthered from her C-Supports with Alm and Silque, was that she was literally crazy about Alm. But her B-Convos mostly just repeated her one personality trait. No delving into her backstory about why she's so obsessed with Alm. The A-Supports didn't address that topic either, but I did genuinely like them, especially the one with Alm.

Spoiler

I love that she actually does confess to Alm, and she takes his rejection surprisingly well.

Another point that also detracts from her character is that there's already another girl with a crush on Alm, namely Clair, and her interactions with him feel much more natural.

All in all, I feel that the writers had a good idea there, but forgot to actually put it into the game. Which is sad, because I consider the writing in SoV to be pretty good, and Faye is a weak link in the chain.

7 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

The Saber x Genny pairing goes all the way back to original Gaiden, so don't worry, it's not just you lol. That base convo wasn't even in the original.

The biggest flaw in the pairing though is that for one thing they have no such interaction last I recall and even then when one or the other dies they still get their ending completely intact. The people they marry are unknown as there are no such hints so enough said.