Favorite and Least Favorite Characters So Far

Just now, AbsoluteZer0Nova said:

The biggest flaw in the pairing though is that for one thing they have no such interaction last I recall and even then when one or the other dies they still get their ending completely intact. The people they marry are unknown as there are no such hints so enough said.

Hey, gotta move on in life.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I know I said that I would skip this game because of the DLC controversy, but... well, my dad gave it to me as an early birthday present, so yeah. But don't expect me to rag on this game and its characters as much as I did Fates. That's NOT going to happen this time around.

As for favourite characters, I actually had to restart the game as the units on Alm's side were too weak to go past the fight after the Necrodragon's (which are utterly terrifying, btw) and I am now at the beginning of Act 3 (I just beat Desaix on Alm's side and haven't yet gotten started on Celica's.), but I do know some of the Act 4 characters, but nothing beyond that.

Okay, on to favourites. You'd probably expect a list here, but I really do have to say that I love everyone in this game. I can list off some special shout-outs, but I like them all for the same reason: They act like actual human beings with actual flaws and actual problems and aren't just walking stereotypes, as was the case in a certain game that shall go unmentioned here. And then there's the fact that their voice actors really do an excellent job of bringing the characters to life. Full voice acting really was a blessing for this game, I feel.

So, my special shout-outs go to, in no particular order: Celica (the overall best unit), Alm, Mae, Genny the Invincible, Saber, the Whitewings, Faye the tankiest cleric, Zeke, Tatjana, Mathilda, Delthea the strongest Mage (possibly), Luthier, Tobin, Lukas, Python, Valbar, Leon and Kamui.

As a sort of trivia for those who care. Many of the voices will seem familiar and it's funny how different the characters with the same voice actors and actresses actually are. I compiled a small list of those I know / remember off the top of my head.

Genny is Isabeau from Shin Megami Tensei IV, Queen Anastasia from Stella Glow, Sumia and Nah from FE Awakening, Estelle from Tales of Vesperia and Hifumi from Persona 5

Celica is WaiFutaba from Persona 5, Asahi from Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse and here's the kicker: Magilou from Tales of Berseria. Seriously. I had to look that one up.

Mae is Makoto from Persona 5 (admit it, you never saw it coming...)

Saber is Flynn from SMT IV and Apocalypse as well as Masayoshi Shido from Persona 5

Delthea is Lisette from Stella Glow

Kamui is Asbel from Tales of Graces and Tiz from Bravely Default and Bravely Second

Tatjana is Velvet from Tales of Berseria. Yes, THAT Velvet. Also Serina Leaf, resident tsundere character in Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars.

Zeke is Archibald from Stella Glow, aka Mr. Large Ham himself, hilariously enough.

Gray is Leo from FE Fates and Ryuji from Persona 5

Tobin is Alto from Stella Glow and Goro Akechi from Persona 5

Jeez, it's like a Persona 5 family meeting in here... Now the only thing that's missing is an annoying cat that tells you to go to sleep and a battle theme that is etched into the heart of every JRPG enthusiast with the best lyrics to trash talk someone.

Favorites:
Kliff: For whatever reason, my Mercenary Kliff became the most broken unit that ever existed by the time I was nearing the end. I mean, 41 Speed and 39 Skill is ridiculous enough, even for a Dread Fighter, but a 37 Defense on top of that? And a solid 31 Attack (Including the Brave Sword on top of that), he could easily solo the entire game. And that ~70% crit... Oh, and I like his personality, it reminds me almost of Leo from Fates (the only good thing from that game imo).
Genny: She was my best healer by far. Silque was pretty good, but she didn't have Physic and her spell list wasn't as immediately useful as Genny's was. By the time Silque learned Invoke, even though it summoned Dread Fighters, my team was too absurdly powerful for it to matter. She also had some decent support conversations with Sonya, and I don't know why, but I got the feeling she was cute and innocent on the outside, but extremely sadistic on the inside. Not that there was ever any hints to this.
Delthea: I like energetic cute girls and I cannot lie. That and she was the best mage on my team, with a good spell list and the mage ring made her even better. I don't know, I always had a soft spot for characters like Nino, Delthea, Mia, and so on.

Least Favorites:

Luthier: First of all, he was my absolute worst unit in the entire game. He was so bad I resigned him to being a staff bot. I also didn't care for his personality too much, He's too arrogant and egotistical for my liking. Oh, and he was a dick to Delthea, so he lost points with me on that one.

The Three Pegasus Sisters: I include all 3 of them because they are very interchangeable in my mind. I'll just preface my arguments by saying that I really don't like Pegasus Knights as units (Clair was really good though), because most of their traits, I find, are shown off better in other units (Speed - Myrmidon, Mobility - Wyvern Riders, Resistance - Dread Fighters in this case). That, and none of them really struck me as being that interesting. Maybe FE1 and FE3, especially their remakes, really flesh out their characters, but in Echoes they're just bland to me. That and almost everyone situation where they could've been useful as Falcon Knights with anti-terror and anti-mage abilities Hard Mode added Archers so that they just had to sit there while someone like Saber or Atlas cleaned house.
Zeke: I mostly don't like him because I have no idea who he is as a person. I didn't really use him because Mathilda was so much better (and Clive at least tried), and I didn't see the appeal of him really. I only remember who he is because of Tatiana, who I somewhat liked.

10 minutes ago, Leonarth said:

Genny: She was my best healer by far. Silque was pretty good, but she didn't have Physic and her spell list wasn't as immediately useful as Genny's was. By the time Silque learned Invoke, even though it summoned Dread Fighters, my team was too absurdly powerful for it to matter. She also had some decent support conversations with Sonya, and I don't know why, but I got the feeling she was cute and innocent on the outside, but extremely sadistic on the inside. Not that there was ever any hints to this.
Delthea: I like energetic cute girls and I cannot lie. That and she was the best mage on my team, with a good spell list and the mage ring made her even better. I don't know, I always had a soft spot for characters like Nino, Delthea, Mia, and so on.

Zeke: I mostly don't like him because I have no idea who he is as a person. I didn't really use him because Mathilda was so much better (and Clive at least tried), and I didn't see the appeal of him really. I only remember who he is because of Tatiana, who I somewhat liked.

I totally agree with you on Genny and Delthea.

I dub Genny Little Miss Invincible for a reason and she makes short work of any Arcanists that come her way, especially early on and Delthea is just too cute for her own good, as well as the strongest magic user in the entire game (maybe. I haven't beaten it yet).

While I do like Zeke, there's one thing that's been on my mind. What exactly is his deal?

Is he actually Camus? Camus the Sable, the badass antagonist from Shadow Dragon who is also the incredibly badass Sirius from New Mystery? If so, that makes him even more badass! Although I wouldn't have expected Camus to sound like that.

Edited by DragonFlames

9 minutes ago, Leonarth said:

The Three Pegasus Sisters: I include all 3 of them because they are very interchangeable in my mind. I'll just preface my arguments by saying that I really don't like Pegasus Knights as units (Clair was really good though), because most of their traits, I find, are shown off better in other units (Speed - Myrmidon, Mobility - Wyvern Riders, Resistance - Dread Fighters in this case). That, and none of them really struck me as being that interesting. Maybe FE1 and FE3, especially their remakes, really flesh out their characters, but in Echoes they're just bland to me. That and almost everyone situation where they could've been useful as Falcon Knights with anti-terror and anti-mage abilities Hard Mode added Archers so that they just had to sit there while someone like Saber or Atlas cleaned house.

You didn't use Warp ever?

The Whitewings are in the game mostly for fanservice, really, since their real roles are in FE1/3. Zeke's involvement in this game is important to FE3/New Mystery though.

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

While I do like Zeke, there's one thing that's been on my mind. What exactly is his deal?

Yes, he is that guy.

Hide contents

Is he actually Camus? Camus the Sable, the badass antagonist from Shadow Dragon who is also the incredibly badass Sirius from New Mystery? If so, that makes him even more badass! Although I wouldn't have expected Camus to sound like that.

Spoiler

I just did a little research, he is indeed Camus. Or at least, the Wiki says so.

1 minute ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

You didn't use Warp ever?

I did occasionally, it was instrumental in beating Thabes Labyrinth's boss. But honestly I never found a situation outside of the previously mentioned one where Warp saved me from anything bad. or completely changed the outcome of a battle. It was just a quality of life thing for me.

5 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Yes, he is that guy.

4 minutes ago, Leonarth said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I just did a little research, he is indeed Camus. Or at least, the Wiki says so.

That's awesome.

It just makes you wonder where exactly SoV is placed in the timeline. Is it after New Mystery or between New Mystery and Shadow Dragon? If it's the latter, that makes his relationship with Tatjana all the more problematic. I haven't seen the ending yet, so please don't spoil details on that front for me.

Edited by DragonFlames

Just now, Leonarth said:

I did occasionally, it was instrumental in beating Thabes Labyrinth's boss. But honestly I never found a situation outside of the previously mentioned one where Warp saved me from anything bad. or completely changed the outcome of a battle. It was just a quality of life thing for me.

I guess it's mostly because of the Warp nerf and Silque's shaky Atk growth, which makes Warp less useful than it should be for a long time, but it's quite important for things like skipping to Tatara to kill him so Delthea stops doing her thing, and fighting Nuibaba in general.

@DragonFlames It's honestly not hard to figure out, considering Gaiden was FE2, and Mystery of the Emblem was FE3. The timeline is FE1/Shadow Dragon -> FE2 -> FE3/New Mystery.

I guess it's mostly because of the Warp nerf and Silque's shaky Atk growth, which makes Warp less useful than it should be for a long time, but it's quite important for things like skipping to Tatara to kill him so Delthea stops doing her thing, and fighting Nuibaba in general.

@DragonFlames It's honestly not hard to figure out, considering Gaiden was FE2, and Mystery of the Emblem was FE3. The timeline is FE1/Shadow Dragon -> FE2 -> FE3/New Mystery.

Right. Thank you for clearing that up for me. I didn't read up on anything prior to getting this game, so I'm kind of in the dark as to what Gaiden was and what it was about aside from what is shown in Awakening's DLC.

That's awesome.

Hide contents

It just makes you wonder where exactly SoV is placed in the timeline. Is it after New Mystery or between New Mystery and Shadow Dragon? If it's the latter, that makes his relationship with Tatjana all the more problematic. I haven't seen the ending yet, so please don't spoil details on that front for me.

If you also need proof, well, in the Pegasus Sisters' endings...

Spoiler

It essentially said that they had more adventures in Archanea after Gaiden/Echoes. I.E. FE3/New Mystery

39 minutes ago, Leonarth said:

Having never played New Mystery, I don't know if I missed something obvious with Zeke, because I don't see his appeal either. His dialogue in this game seems to begin and end with "Tatiana!" and "old timey way of asking from whence I came!"

1 hour ago, Night Zap said:

• Clive, Forsyth and Python: Not because of their personalities, but because they felt like complete garbage gameplay wise from the get go. 
  • Atlas: Holy moly, he just sucks. Terrible speed and defenses make him a liability in battle, and you can't even fix this somewhat by promoting him until you got through most of Chapter 3 - He leaves the party if you go north from the graveyard before saving his siblings from Grieth. Not that becoming a mercanary would help him much, because there are three other guys competing for the good swords.

While Forsyth & Python have pretty bad starts they grow into fairly good units pretty quickly if you give them the chance, for instance my Forsyth has 24 str and 14 speed right now as a Baron, with the usual tankiness of one, he's better than my Lukas by far, and Python well he just has the utility of his bow range and str & spd after he gets going, promotion gains help the rest. FE2/15 are designed with you using most of the units in mind, which is why theres so many encounters I think.

Clive yeah he's pretty bad but if you can manage to get him to Gold Knight it fixes him decently, his supports with Lukas & Mathilda also help them pretty well. 

Atlas has been the opposite for me, he currently has 22 str and 19 speed, I used the Dragon Shrine after I got him so I didn't have to wait and it paid off. 

1 minute ago, Jedi said:

Clive yeah he's pretty bad but if you can manage to get him to Gold Knight it fixes him decently, his supports with Lukas & Mathilda also help them pretty well. 

I got my Clive to Gold Knight, was not impressed. He's still wasn't that bad of a unit, but he didn't reach Mathilda levels of useful, and he didn't have the Def to tank very much nor did he have the Offensive capabilities to be a powerhouse. I don't know how you were supposed to use him. Maybe I just got RNG screwed, but I don't remember him having gained Def anymore than once or twice.

3 minutes ago, Leonarth said:

I got my Clive to Gold Knight, was not impressed. He's still wasn't that bad of a unit, but he didn't reach Mathilda levels of useful, and he didn't have the Def to tank very much nor did he have the Offensive capabilities to be a powerhouse. I don't know how you were supposed to use him. Maybe I just got RNG screwed, but I don't remember him having gained Def anymore than once or twice.

Mine got some solid def & hp, the rest of his stats (well not str he had 19) were lacking but I didn't have issues with him tanking, magic however...

Also getting RNG screwed harder would be impressive considering his growths are pretty bad too. But yeah he's not on the same tier as Mathilda or Zeke by any means, I just like him.

Edited by Jedi

2 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Mine got some solid def & hp, the rest of his stats (well not str he had 19) were lacking but I didn't have issues with him tanking, magic however...

Also getting RNG screwed harder would be impressive considering his growths are pretty bad too.

What was even funnier is Delthea, who only has a 20% Def growth, managed to get MORE Defense than Clive in the end. Clive had the promotion bases on his side, a 30% Def growth, and he still got outdone by Delthea. My luck (or lake thereof) is very odd, maybe even bipolar.

I love how everyone it's stuck on Genny wanting to bewed an older (relative) dude, yet nobody talks about the freaking story she wants to write about Celica saving the world and her dad being alive and searching her out...

Just...tears, man...

Just now, Selena4Lyfe said:

I love how everyone it's stuck on Genny wanting to bewed an older (relative) dude, yet nobody talks about the freaking story she wants to write about Celica saving the world and her dad being alive and searching her out...

I'm busy contemplating whether or not Delthea is a bazooka in human form.

52 minutes ago, Thane said:

Having never played New Mystery, I don't know if I missed something obvious with Zeke, because I don't see his appeal either. His dialogue in this game seems to begin and end with "Tatiana!" and "old timey way of asking from whence I came!"

Camus' tragic stuff really shines more in the Archanea games. His role here with Tatiana is just to supplement the tragedy.

6 minutes ago, Thane said:

She's more like a flying warship, since she gets Rewarp.

20 minutes ago, Thane said:

Her magic is the magic that will PIERCE THE HEAVENS! 

I haven't played all of the game yet but here are some characters I like a lot (not necessarily in order of priority).

Atlas, everything about this guy screams mercenary or berserker also his character reminds me of the kinds of characters that Paul and Peter Davis played in movies like The Barbarians, Twin Sitters and Think Big.

Saber is awesome what else needs to be said about him.

Grey is a cool character as well and I enjoy so many of his lines

Luthier is incredible how can one not like this guy

I of course like both Clive and Mathilda.

6 minutes ago, SavageVolug said:

Luthier is incredible how can one not like this guy

I wanted to like him, but even in-universe they describe him as boring. All he talks about is magic, and while it's cool knowledge, Luthier himself isn't interesting to me.

Atlas has been amazing for me, gameplay-wise anyway.  I also find him amusing to have around.  

I think I dislike Python the most.  He doesn't strike me as particularly interesting and I don't like his attitude.  Plus he's been pretty bad for me, thankfully I have Tobin to fill the archer spot, who has been quite good.