Favorite and Least Favorite Characters So Far

5 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

It just felt... natural, somehow. The characters had good chemistry together. In stories, sometimes we have to accept that love at first sight is a thing, even when in reality, it might not be. Or it might, I dunno. Sorry that I can't explain it better.
The time / distance apart doesn't really matter, I think. If you truly love someone, you'll continue to love them, no matter how long you are apart. That's what I'd like to think, anyway.

Eliwood / Ninian. Though that has more to do with personal taste than anything else. I can see why this is criticised so much, almost to the point of being the go-to thing to hate FE7 for, but I personally still think that it added that extra ounce of tragedy to the overall already tragic plot that made it more memorable to me.

But hey, I like Faye, think that Grima is awesome, don't think Corrin is the worst thing to ever happen to humanity and think that Takumi is the worst character in any game ever made, so what do I know?

Wow, well, those most certainly are opinions that are quite different from my own, so much so that I'm not really sure what to say, so I'll just thank you for explaining.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Thane said:

Wow, well, those most certainly are opinions that are quite different from my own, so much so that I'm not really sure what to say, so I'll just thank you for explaining.

You're very welcome.
I just listed these last three points in order to get my point across that I am aware that my opinions on stuff like that don't really match the 'norm', so to speak. I didn't mean any harm by what I said.

Just now, DragonFlames said:

You're very welcome.
I just listed these last three points in order to get my point across that I am aware that my opinions on stuff like that don't really match the 'norm', so to speak. I didn't mean any harm by what I said.

And it's not my place to tell you what to think or enjoy. It's just that I find what you brought up to be some of the low points of the series as a whole, and I could probably write a long essay on everything wrong with Corrin. But hey, that's what forums are for: different opinions.

2 minutes ago, Thane said:

And it's not my place to tell you what to think or enjoy. It's just that I find what you brought up to be some of the low points of the series as a whole, and I could probably write a long essay on everything wrong with Corrin. But hey, that's what forums are for: different opinions.

Yup, totally agreed.
I wanna put the Fates mess to rest, honestly. It wasn't my highest point, either.

23 hours ago, Crystallized Silver said:

Favorites:

Atlas. Probably for no other reason other than his fantastic design, because his characterization is pretty weak, as with most optional characters (sadly).

I actually think Atlas is pretty funny. His struggles to relate to Celica are pretty amusing, and he gets enough characterization(He's basically a rowdy 8 year old boy trapped in the body of a body builder) that he doesn't come off as flat.

Edited by Slumber

29 minutes ago, Thane said:

Wait, you can buy into two kids falling in love because of destiny over the course of what seems to be a very short time, with their love remaining unchanged in spite of their differences and lack of communication over many years? 

i'm pretty sure they knew each other for 3 years

i don't think that's too short

Just now, unique said:

i'm pretty sure they knew each other for 3 years

i don't think that's too short

Where does it say that? On the day she leaves, Gray explicitly says she had just moved to Ram Village.

11 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I actually think Atlas is pretty funny. His struggles to relate to Celica are pretty amusing, and he gets enough characterization(He's basically a rowdy 8 year old boy trapped in the body of a body builder) that he doesn't come off as flat.

I was pretty pleasantly surprised by Atlas. Didn't expect him to have a soft, respectful side. He's a pretty grounded character in his respect for authority.

31 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

It just felt... natural, somehow. The characters had good chemistry together. In stories, sometimes we have to accept that love at first sight is a thing, even when in reality, it might not be. Or it might, I dunno. Sorry that I can't explain it better.
The time / distance apart doesn't really matter, I think. If you truly love someone, you'll continue to love them, no matter how long you are apart. That's what I'd like to think, anyway.

Eliwood / Ninian. Though that has more to do with personal taste than anything else. I can see why this is criticised so much, almost to the point of being the go-to thing to hate FE7 for, but I personally still think that it added that extra ounce of tragedy to the overall already tragic plot that made it more memorable to me.

But hey, I like Faye, think that Grima is awesome, don't think Corrin is the worst thing to ever happen to humanity and think that Takumi is the worst character in any game ever made, so what do I know?

Doesn't everyone hate Corrin? (trying not to get off topic)

2 minutes ago, Thane said:

Where does it say that? On the day she leaves, Gray explicitly says she had just moved to Ram Village.

in chapter 1, an NPC says 

Spoiler

that about 10 years back, the villa princess anthiese lived in was burned down

celica is 17 in the main story, so this would mean she moved to the village when she was around 7

she's 10 in the prologue, so that would mean about 3 years passed between her coming and leaving the village

kid gray does say that she "just" moved in, but considering he and his friends lived there for 10 years and she suddenly showed up one day, it's understandable that he might say that

i guess it depends on whether you want to interpret kid gray's statement as meaning that they hadn't known each other for a long time or just trust the words of random NPC lady, but considering NPC lady uses a number i'd say hers was the one more meant to be taken seriously

I vaguely remember three years as well, but I don't seem to find confirmation to that. but that's beside the point. even if it is a short while, I don't know, the way they talk about each other, the way other characters refers to their relationship, all those little stuff make it more believable in my eyes

6 minutes ago, unique said:

in chapter 1, an NPC says 

Hide contents

that about 10 years back, the villa princess anthiese lived in was burned down

celica is 17 in the main story, so this would mean she moved to the village when she was around 7

she's 10 in the prologue, so that would mean about 3 years passed between her coming and leaving the village

kid gray does say that she "just" moved in, but considering he and his friends lived there for 10 years and she suddenly showed up one day, it's understandable that he might say that

i guess it depends on whether you want to interpret kid gray's statement as meaning that they hadn't known each other for a long time or just trust the words of random NPC lady, but considering NPC lady uses a number i'd say hers was the one more meant to be taken seriously

I'm willing to place more stock in Gray's words, as "about 10 years back" could mean "close to 10 years", like eight or even seven. Gray saying she just came to Ram, and his surprise at Alm being with Celica again as opposed to being used to them hanging out alone, strikes me as much more telling of how much time Celica has been there. I mean, what kind of 11-year-old thinks three years is recent?

19 minutes ago, Thane said:

I'm willing to place more stock in Gray's words, as "about 10 years back" could mean "close to 10 years", like eight or even seven. Gray saying she just came to Ram, and his surprise at Alm being with Celica again as opposed to being used to them hanging out alone, strikes me as much more telling of how much time Celica has been there. I mean, what kind of 11-year-old thinks three years is recent?

Having played through the early game recently, those numbers he gave are actually right.

Just now, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Having played through the early game recently, those numbers he gave are actually right.

You mean it is a fact that Celica has been there for three years? Then it matches up very poorly with the villager conversation, if that's the case.

Just now, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Which Villager convo?

Oh, I meant between Alm's buddies. 

When you say the numbers are right, are you referring to the NPC unique brought up, or something else? Because if she says "about 10 years", that can mean a lot of things. 

I'm not trying to be a stubborn ass, by the way; I'm just trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together, because Gray makes it sound like Celica hasn't been there for a long time at all, yet if she has been there for three years, well, then one would think they'd know of Alm and Celica's routine by now. 

Still doesn't make me buy their romance at all, but it makes sense for them to be closer if she's spent more time in Ram.

12 minutes ago, Thane said:

Oh, I meant between Alm's buddies. 

When you say the numbers are right, are you referring to the NPC unique brought up, or something else? Because if she says "about 10 years", that can mean a lot of things. 

I'm not trying to be a stubborn ass, by the way; I'm just trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together, because Gray makes it sound like Celica hasn't been there for a long time at all, yet if she has been there for three years, well, then one would think they'd know of Alm and Celica's routine by now. 

Still doesn't make me buy their romance at all, but it makes sense for them to be closer if she's spent more time in Ram.

I meant that the 10 years was correct; unless I mega derped, the Japanese text doesn't make the number ambiguous.

This is gonna sound like an unprofessional ramble:

Favorites:

• Alm: What a sweetiepie! I love his quirkiness and modesty. He's very mature for his age but also always cracks a joke or two to cheer people up. I think he's a formidable leader and a pretty great unit as well.
  • Celica: I adopt her. She's my new daughter. Honestly I don't care if she has less personality than Alm; you give me a calm and collected, peace-seeking woman and I will love her forever. Her outfit is also EXCELLENT.
  • Boey: Started out as a pretty weak unit but quickly gained so much defense and attack before becoming one of the team's most powerful asset. His design is also incredible! Definitely enjoyed him a lot and his banter with Mae.
  • Lukas: I really related to Lukas in a way. A bit introverted but also very kind and selfless. I enjoyed how he pointed out how he disliked being called 'cold and reserved' to Clive. It reminded me of how I was pretty similar to him a few years back and confided to my good friend about it. Plus he looks very handsome!
  • Mathilda: Oh my goooood I love her. She's so strong and driven. I'm still not over the fact she founded the Deliverance. I absolutely love how she can kill on the battlefield but really settle to have a mellow, charming and warm personality when she's not fighting.
  • Saber: The father figure Celica deserves! His protectiveness over her and his laid back personality were really what sold him to me. Also, aside from looking very good, he was a very powerful unit.
  • Mae: She single-handedly made some of the most mundane conversations a true delight. Her enthusiasm and down-to-earth personality were very enjoyable and she was such a good unit to have on hand. Hands down one of the best Echoes had to offer.

Special mentions to Clair, Tatiana and Conrad whom I really enjoyed as well. <3

Least favorites:

• Faye: She has such a good designs and great potential as a Cleric to boot, but I simply could not stand her. Her entire character revolves around her shallow interest in Alm, and I really thought them adding a female character to the roster of starting villagers was a progressive move... She's not the worst character I have come to use but I had great expectations for her, which might explain why I was so disappointed and ditched her as soon as I saw her C and B supports with Silque (I know she apologizes in A and I think it's sweet, but I still see that fake personality reeking from it).
  • Clive: He's very kind and collected and I like him as a character! I will say though that his lack of honesty for his concern about Alm's heritage and worry for Fernand was a bit of a let down. But as a unit... *sigh* He still isn't the best and I still have a hard time having fun using him. He's a lot better than how he started but clearly I did not get lucky with my Clive. His promotion gave him a lot of stats he should've been getting when it mattered most.
  • Fernand: Enough said. I realize he's been through a lot with the murder of his family, but blaming the entire population of "commonfolk" for it was just... wrong. Especially when Alm appeared and showed him how goodhearted most of them were, that blaming people with certain wealth was being close-minded. I guess he made a good antagonist for the game.

I haven't used a good amount of unit so there are a lot of them I can't comment on.

7 hours ago, Frenzify said:

God, I don't like being overly defensive of Faye, and I know bringing everyone else down isn't a valid defense for Faye, but one point I've been thinking about for a while is how Clair's a bitch to Gray in their first two supports, but no one ever mentions that.

The reason no one makes a big deal out of Clair's treatment to Gray in their first two support conversations is because she brings up some valid points. Gray hits on her with the hope she'll automatically be swooned by him, but as Clair points out, he doesn't take the time to get to know her at all before professing his love. In real life, if you tried to confess to a girl right away without getting to know them first and you hope she'll automatically love you back, chances are that won't happen because the girl thinks you come across as shallow and rude. Same thing happens here with Gray and Clair. Gray keeps telling her "I love you," without taking much consideration into what Clair is saying, and it isn't until she tells him that she never wants to speak with him again that he learns his lesson.

Clair could've been nicer calling out Gray's shallow words at winning her over. That is true. But even then, Gray too has his faults in that support.

Edited by Erureido

Favourites:

Pretty much every one, NGL. As a fan of Gaiden seeing all these characters evolving from what they were to now makes me so happy, I find it hard to hate anyone. Stand outs would be Grey, Mae, Lukas, Saber, Jesse, Sonya, Nomah, Mycen, Delthea, Clair and or coarse, Alm and Celica.

Least Favourites:

It's hard to pick any playable characters with the exception of maybe Faye. I'm also not really fond of Rinea or Fernand.

1 hour ago, ExaltedViolinist said:

Celica: I adopt her. She's my new daughter. Honestly I don't care if she has less personality than Alm; you give me a calm and collected, peace-seeking woman and I will love her forever. Her outfit is also EXCELLENT.

hello father in law

18 hours ago, Thane said:

I strongly disagree. Rudolf's plan is nonsensical and requires freaking prophetic-like precision. Walhart's goals and methods are much easier to comprehend.

Too easy to comprehend, to an almost the degree of a child, for that's actually how Walhart acts. His goal is to wipe out the Grimleal, yet he thinks he's entitled to enslave and conquer everything to the extent, that overshadows the goal of destroying the Grimleal. Rudolf's motives may be a bit out there, but he carefully planned it out, and you find out that Rigel actually loved him. Walhart was hated and feared whereever he went. As a conqueror, he was kinda shit tier. No one ever loved him for his deeds and the Grimleal became totally second bananas to his ego. That is what i meant by Walhart should have been written more like Rudolf. People of Valm should have valued him to a degree or inspired those he nurtured. (Only Cervantes adored him) his ego should have been second bananas to his true goal of destroying a dark faith. Walhart had zero compassion, whereas Rudolf had plenty. He felt pretty shitty about what he did (the memory prism of his convo with Mycen really sums it up). Despite how weird Rudolf's plan was, hes still less cartoonish and silly than the "inexorable" Walhart who let his ego rule in the end.

Favorites:

Kliff: I like his sarcasm and attitude to things, his voice, and design. I also relate to his struggle of being nice. Too bad IS didn't give him screentime.

Genny: I like her personality, her voice, and her design. She is also a good staff bot and anyone wo can OHKO bonewalkers and gargoyles deserves love. Again, IS gave her no screentime.

Silque: Sweet voice, nice backstory, fantastic staff bot even after being nerfed (Dread Fighters and Warp are too good), sadly has not much screentime. (IS hates me). 

Kamui: I just love the personality and voice of this dude. Dracozombies be damned.

Faye: I must be the only freak who finds her funny. She is an amazing staffbot. Early physic and rescue? Hell yeah. Seraphim so she can kill the annoying gargoyles and bonewalkers in Duma Tower? Hell yeah. Actual defense and speed stats unlike Silque? Sign me up for that.

Least favorites:

Boey: He is so garbage that I rely on him being weak so I can chip enemies for Palla and Catria.

Python: Never hits anything, gets doubled by a snail.

Rinea. Talk about having zero personality and screentime. I cannot understand why she likes Berkut. At least she was a difficult boss,

Berkut: Might as well call him Kylo Ren. I don't like him. Pathetic boss as well.

Edited by L9999

Good Guys I like:

Lukas: Smooth as fuck voice, and well balanced personality.  I feel like he carried out the 'smooth unemotional' type just right (for lack of better words).

Forsyth: I actually started off not linking him very much, however, as his use as a unit grew better for me I began to see him in better light.  Eventually, I realised that I sort of shared a personality with him and he even became better than Lukas stat wise.  Ended up absolutely adoring him.

Mathilda: Fantastic unit and for me she carried out the strong female character type just right.  She was definitely the leader of my team.

Sonya: Loved her personality and her seductive nature, but also really enjoyed her supports with Genny.  I didn't find her to be a spectacular unit or anything, but I enjoyed using her regardless.

Gray: What everyone else is saying.

Tobin: One of my best units and his banter with Gray/personality kept me invested in him the entire way through.

Saber: Fucking loved him, he was just a total bad ass and was really the leader of the team on Celica's route.  Between him and Kamui no enemy stood a chance.  Just wished those two had some supports.  

Mae:  Usually I'm really unsure of the ''hyper" types of girls, however, for a lot of the same reasons as Tobin and Gray, I became completely invested in her.  I found that she was a glass cannon unit, however, she really was an important cornerstone to my teams and saved me from a few tight situations.  

Good Guys I don't like:

Faye: Pretty much what everyone else has said.  I put her in Peg Knight and although she was great at the start toward end game she was outdone by Clair.  

Delthea (personality): Whiny, bratty child who treated her brother like shit.  I don't like the arrogant types either.  However, I can't deny that she is a fantastic unit with a great array of uses in terms of my play style.  

Clive: Shit unit and boring personality who I should have let 'die'.  Got benched constantly once Mathilda was on the team.

Python:  Only reason I used him was to give Forsyth bonuses until he was boss enough to stand on his own, or to chip away at enemies from a distance.  Apart from those redeeming qualities he was a terrible unit.  I do like his design and personality though and his interactions with Forsyth got me chuckling. 

Bad Guys I like:

Daddy Desaix: To be honest, there's no particular reason why, I just liked him.  Sure he was cartoon-y (something I criticised other characters in the past for ... looking at you Garon) but I feel like he was just ambitious enough to offset the cheesy levels, if that makes sense.  Anyways, a really strange detail I liked about Desaix was actually what was inside his fortress, like how he had politics books and very luxurious food items for a medieval setting.  I was so wrapped by this small detail I've been trying to think of a way I could incorporate it into my medieval history classes (a lesson about medieval food perhaps) in the future.  I think some of his potential may have been squandered however I was pretty happy with him.

Slayde: Seedy as fuck and I love it.

Berkut: Amazingly well written and his VA stole the show for me.  I think that his character had a lot of depth and having been raised with some high family expectations I could sympathise with him.  I was slightly off-put by his tantrums however I see how this fits and adds to his character, so I think that my statement there is more directed by personal preferences.  

Nuibaba: Just awesome.  Wish that we could have seen more of her.

Bad Guys I don't like:

Jedah: I just think that he was 'meh'.  I feel like his whole character would have worked better if he (and his followers) had not looked so vampirc and evil.  It would have been nice if Celica was subject to more deception.  I remember reading somewhere (I think reddit) that if he had appeared a wise old sage it might have been easier to lure Celica to her final destination, which I agree with.  I'm still trying to figure out that fading out thing in the cutscene, that had me quite bamboozled, actually.

Edited by Mox
I forgot a whole section of my writing...

8 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I meant that the 10 years was correct; unless I mega derped, the Japanese text doesn't make the number ambiguous.

Huh. I don't remember that at all; who is it that says that? Not that I don't trust you, and I know for a fact you speak better Japanese than I do, but I'm still curious.

6 hours ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

Too easy to comprehend, to an almost the degree of a child, for that's actually how Walhart acts. His goal is to wipe out the Grimleal, yet he thinks he's entitled to enslave and conquer everything to the extent, that overshadows the goal of destroying the Grimleal. Rudolf's motives may be a bit out there, but he carefully planned it out, and you find out that Rigel actually loved him. Walhart was hated and feared whereever he went. As a conqueror, he was kinda shit tier. No one ever loved him for his deeds and the Grimleal became totally second bananas to his ego. That is what i meant by Walhart should have been written more like Rudolf. People of Valm should have valued him to a degree or inspired those he nurtured. (Only Cervantes adored him) his ego should have been second bananas to his true goal of destroying a dark faith. Walhart had zero compassion, whereas Rudolf had plenty. He felt pretty shitty about what he did (the memory prism of his convo with Mycen really sums it up). Despite how weird Rudolf's plan was, hes still less cartoonish and silly than the "inexorable" Walhart who let his ego rule in the end.

The whole thing about Walhart is that he's got a larger than life personality and that the men serving under him are just as loyal to him as they are to Chrom, as you can see with Pheros, Cervantes and later his men during the last battle. Of course other people hate him though - his goal was to utterly stomp out any dissent and remove the world's borders and religions. Is that way too simple for such a large problem? Obviously. However, it's better than Rudolf who needs to get his ass saved after he almost screwed the continent, but it's okay, because fate and prophecies told him he would be fine, so who cares if he didn't try stopping the war and share his knowledge with Alm?