Can we talk about Leon for a sec? [character spoils?]

I haven't seen anybody else say something, so maybe I'm just absolutely crazy, but. Leon is gay. And I'm really glad about that! Unless I'm somehow misinterpreting his lines.

Spoiler

tumblr_oqbt28UDuE1vjvz4yo1_540.jpg

On that note, I'd like to point out that the SF character intro still says that Valbar is his "big brother" figure. I think its pretty obvious that that's incorrect, unless, again, I'm misinterpreting. 

I admit I have yet to finish the game itself, nor read all of Leon's supports, but I'd say this tidbit is enough to prove that he at least isn't straight. 

Leon being gay makes me absolutely giddy, though I wish he didn't have that weird mullet hairstyle that all fancy pretty anime boys have, lol. 

I agree that there's no way he isn't.  Beyond dropping obvious hints,

he straight up says it in his A support with Valbar.

He's middle of the road for me. I don't dislike him, but he's not too far on the favorites list. I really liked him and some point, but I can't remember why for the life of me...

Edited by Emerson

Oh, yeah. He's flaming.

But seriously, they handled it well and for that I'm glad. I'm happy it's not like a whole "I'm gay~! *insert rainbow*" sorta thing where him being gay is extremely forced/is his only personality trait. So kudos to Nintendo for making a good gay character. *claps*

As far as my thoughts on him though, I like him a good amount. I really liked his base conversations and supports as well as him as a unit.

Edited by SuperIb

You can tell they toned down his mannerisms on the American version because the way he speaks sometimes doesn't match his animations, but I'm OK with that. I like him, they handled him well. I just wish he could find some other guy later on because his crush on Valbar will never be reciprocated, although I find it cool that while he's in love with Valbar he doesn't pursue or creep on him unlike the past two gay characters we had.

Overall, I like him and I'm OK with him. I resonate with him as a fellow gay as well.

i think the reason no one's talking about it is because there's not really any reason to. it's there and there's not much to say about it other than "wow they finally made a gay fire emblem character who isn't bad"

he's a fun, likable character, who's also gay, in a way that isn't an awkward "is he gay or not" and without being annoying, defined by being gay, or generally poorly written. that's already more than you can say about any of the other gay fire emblem characters so far. there's not an obnoxious amount of attention attracted towards it either, he just straight up tells you about someone he was in love with, and that person happens to have been a guy. i guess you could argue that he's a little stereotypical (and maybe more than a little in the japanese version), but I found him to be a really likable character overall, even before I read his supports. he's definitely one of my favorites and I'm glad they managed a gay character who isn't terrible

we've come a long way from heather haven't we

Also.. I'm glad he's always been gay. People kept insisting Tharja wasn't really bisexual, since the only girl she loved was f!Robin..that was really trashy and it stung. But Leon blatantly mentions another lover, so.. Nobody can really say that he isn't actually gay/Valbar is an "exception". I'm really thankful for that. 

dude i love Leon

I think his character was handled very well, and in that spoiler that the OP provided was really cute and romantic. I'm really all for that mushy stuff; I think it's really adorable. His love for Valbar is really really cute, I love it. I personally haven't gotten to recruit Leon yet, but I want to use him as a regular on my team when I do!

I think he's pretty well written from what I've seen so far.  How could anyone resist Valbo's chin?  Too bad Valbo doesn't seem to be interested, he's just a nice guy in general.

It doesn't really garner too much attention because Leon himself is nonchalant about it, nor do they really play up a gay stereotype. He isn't aggressively gay, and it doesn't define his whole character.

And OT, but on my playthrough Leon is a beast with a bow. My other two archers have nothing on Leon. 

Hes fantastic. He even says in a fort convo about how he fell for a dude but that dude died. Yeah the convo the OP posted. Leon says that in the manner of romance, absolutely. I love him. My pewr Leon, loves his Valbar but his Valbar isnt gay. Leon deals with it and just wants to be near his Valbar even just as friends.  

45 minutes ago, Doof said:

You can tell they toned down his mannerisms on the American version because the way he speaks sometimes doesn't match his animations, but I'm OK with that.

This. His speech is much more "feminine" in the Japanese version.

It's nice that they made him less stereotypical in the English version. I've kind of gotten tired of the "feminine man" thing I've seen in many JRPG's.

The English version does just enough with Leon to make it reasonable.

11 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

It's nice that they made him less stereotypical in the English version. I've kind of gotten tired of the "feminine man" thing I've seen in many JRPG's.

The English version does just enough with Leon to make it reasonable.

Pretty much agree with everything here.

I hate the feminine stereotype for gay men, especially. The only thing I dislike about Leon is the stupid air kiss thing he does after battle. Everything else, I love. I love that he is gay but it doesn't define him. He crushes hard on Valbor but accepts it isn't reciprocated. Plus he's got a great voice and he's a beast as a unit for me (my second third tier promotion after Saber and no regrets!).

Edited by Cute Chao

I like him a lot too and for my archers he's ranked 3rd for me right behind Rolf (2nd) and Niles (1st). As someone who is gay I do agree that Niles wasn't the perfect representation, but I do not have a problem with that as if he was a good representative that that would be rather conflicting with him given his backstory and thus character. I mean Niles acknowledges that he's a mess but even so with how his support with Corrin goes it is because Corrin has taken a interest in him and so Niles as time goes on it's making him feel like he can open his heart and even then he's bi and doesn't have a problem with being with both genders (just that he can only do so with Male Corrin in the game but Leo is the other candidate had that S support been implemented) so I'm not largely offended by his characterization where as for Rhajat it's set in stone Corrinsexual and any other male that she does end up supporting. 

15 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

This. His speech is much more "feminine" in the Japanese version.

I can confirm Leo says Atashi and Kashira.

(If you're not aware, In JP, your Leo in Fates is Leon, and your Leon in Echoes is Leo)

Leo is gay.

And that is possibly valid for both of them.

Echoes Leo is also pretty well written. It is an obvious trait but one that doesn't summarize all of their character.

I like him and think he's got pretty good dialogue, but at the same time I disagree with saying he's some amazingly-done gay character. He does a stereotypical flamboyant twirl when he levels up and he still feels like being gay is his main characteristic.  It could be a lot more in your face than it is, but there's not a lot more to him. I also think it's a bit odd how he pines for Valbar. I get the reason he presents for it, but the poor guy's just lost his wife and child yet Leon is still making moves on him.

He's a beastly unit though, for sure. He cleaned house on most of the desert maps picking all the archers and anarchists off all by himself. I almost wish I made Atlas an archer too since Leon's just made me value having an archer so much on Celica's path.

1 hour ago, Alkaid said:

I like him and think he's got pretty good dialogue, but at the same time I disagree with saying he's some amazingly-done gay character. He does a stereotypical flamboyant twirl when he levels up and he still feels like being gay is his main characteristic.  It could be a lot more in your face than it is, but there's not a lot more to him. I also think it's a bit odd how he pines for Valbar. I get the reason he presents for it, but the poor guy's just lost his wife and child yet Leon is still making moves on him.

He's a beastly unit though, for sure. He cleaned house on most of the desert maps picking all the archers and anarchists off all by himself. I almost wish I made Atlas an archer too since Leon's just made me value having an archer so much on Celica's path.

I think it's more telling about the general representation of gays (especially in JRPGs)...

He may have been done better, but I think waht I appreciate the most is how it's pretty well accepted by the others (I haven't read his A supports yet, so it may change.)

It's a step in the right direction at least.

4 hours ago, Tamanoir said:

I think it's more telling about the general representation of gays (especially in JRPGs)...

He may have been done better, but I think waht I appreciate the most is how it's pretty well accepted by the others (I haven't read his A supports yet, so it may change.)

It's a step in the right direction at least.

Yeah that's very true. I was too busy thinking about how he acted himself and forgot that he's treated just like anybody else by the other characters, which is a good thing.

Only thing I don't care about wrt Leon is that he's going for "literally just lost his entire family like a week ago" Valbar.  He could have been attracted to another character without the very recent tragic backstory if nothing else.

It's nice that the rest of the cast doesn't make fun of him for it (though it's not like the fates casts made fun of Niles, Rhajat & Solei for their being bi and the only character to get on Forrest's case was his father and that was shown as The Worst Thing so thats nothing new). It's also nice that he's not really obsessive over Valbar...like ok, yes, he is but he's more in the Cordelia-type range and he confronts those feelings. What I'm saying is its nice that he isn't like Faye and Valbar still hangs out with him on friendly terms and isn't off-put by it. Unlike Alm (& Silque, for that matter), who kind of go "uhhhhhhhhhhhh"

judging by his "...oh. that" reaction in the a rank, valbar wasn't blind to the attraction

He's really a boring character, the most "safe" representation of an homosexual man (People tend to be fine with these kind of characters as long they are blatantly stereotypes that confirm their bias that homosexuals are the "other" rather than people like them) He has a straight crush on a dude, so you can sympathize with him but at the same time the game can avoid teh gay from actually happening.

surprise, he never gets with anyone in the end.

Someone like Lukas would have been a much more interesting choice.

For all the criticisms people gave Fates, Niles was actually better than this.