Is it just me, or archers aren't very good this game?

I've had decent luck with hit rates, and Curved Shot from the Iron Bow makes it a lot easier. I will agree that outside of enemy Magic users, they don't do a massive amount of damage, even with Heavy Shot. Unless we're talking Atlas with the Killer Bow. That man destroys worlds and holds them up.

Also, I've noticed that Leon, Python and Archer Tobin struggle getting hit rates above 70-80, but Archer Atlas has consistant 80-90%s without any skills. I mean, is Strength part of the hit formula or something?

Either way, they're great for long range chip damage, and skills can make their damage output a bit better.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found Archers to be quite helpful (all of them, but especially Tobin and Leon.) I find that they kill Witches really, really good.

If I had to complain about something, it'd be that their Anti-Fliers ability seems too understated. Archers and other bowmen previously have put holes in pegasi and other fliers like swiss cheese, these guys do a bit less than that. Maybe I'm just complaining that one arrow can't put down a gargoyle, but i dunno. 

Python REALLY helped out a lot on several chapters and he was just amazing in general in my playthrough so I'd say they're fine. xD Leon was decent but my Tobin was hot garbage.

Bow skills definitely helped with hit rate when it was needed, but my Python usually had a minimum of 88% to hit with a high of 100%. :p

Opening statement and thread title is dead wrong. FE2 and FE15 are the strongest bow wielders have ever been in the series. Having access to 1-5 range makes them incredibly useful. Okay, I take that back. Shadow Dragon and FE12 might actually be some good contenders. There are many fliers in those maps and archers are among the best to take them out. 1-5 range has amazing utility for dealing with other mages for their 2-3 range and other annoyances to far out of the way or dangerous for say a flier to do generally. Plus, they can actually do stuff on enemy phase if they get attacked. 

The drawback is that the people who can go archer are relatively weak in those slots. Most suffer from speed and accuracy issues, but can be fixed with forging. Kliff and Python have good speed, but Kliff sort of begs mage due to his magic selection and magic helps offset his weak strength values. Exaclibar is rather good. Gray and Tobin are sort of meh as Archers. Leon is sort of meh as well due to low speed and low strength. 

Overall, Archers have the potential to be incredibly powerful, but their offset is therefore being put on people who don't have exceptionally good stats to use the class very well. Otherwise, archers almost always find some amount of value to use and late game giving them say a +1 forged blessed bow and some supports allow them to get some good crit rates and bonus damage against Terrors and maintain good accuracy and light weight. 

Alm back  in FE2 when given the Holy Bow as flat out stupid. A good character with access to a 1-5 range weapon with no weight penalty, good mt dmg, and high accuracy. Yeah, looking into FE15 bow stats they really adjusted the weapons to be offset for the power of 1-5 range.  

25 minutes ago, Vorena said:

Opening statement and thread title is dead wrong. FE2 and FE15 are the strongest bow wielders have ever been in the series. Having access to 1-5 range makes them incredibly useful. Okay, I take that back. Shadow Dragon and FE12 might actually be some good contenders. There are many fliers in those maps and archers are among the best to take them out. 1-5 range has amazing utility for dealing with other mages for their 2-3 range and other annoyances to far out of the way or dangerous for say a flier to do generally. Plus, they can actually do stuff on enemy phase if they get attacked. 

Also Awakening, in Lunatic+ they counter Counter.

Archers trade range for damage output. Unlike other games, they fulfil a different niche to melee and even magic units.

I've tried to test which villager picks are the best for a Low Turn Count run, and Archers or Cavaliers are pretty much the way to go on Alm's early route, alongside at least one mage(you need a Mage with at least 8 atk to beat the Leather Shield Merc fast). They get to do combat so much earlier. I dunno if the Merc line makes up for lost turns later on, but Archer is actually a great pick for efficient play.

14 hours ago, Vorena said:

Opening statement and thread title is dead wrong. FE2 and FE15 are the strongest bow wielders have ever been in the series.

FE4 had some amazing ones as well.  They were killing machines in that game.

I don't see anything wrong with my archers.  They aren't as insane as mercenaries, but they seem about as strong as paladins.  They can get a solid hit in, don't have to worry about counter attacks, and can pick off enemies in the back while my melee focus on the front.  They fit into any group very well, especially after gaining a horse - which just makes them more insane.  I just got bow knight recently, and I love how they can pretty much hit anything on the map.

...they're a support class in this game...

Not going to be killing alot on their own. But very good at just sitting back and dealing chip-damage without ever putting themselves in any real danger. 

I'm fine with that.

Kliff is the best archer because of his speed growth and +hit support with Tobin. It really downplays the negatives of an archer while it ramps up to your best physical killer in the mid to late game.

Yeah, I kinda feel the same... in comparison to my other units. Must be a price to pay for ranged attack.
I also had the brilliant idea of making Tobin into an archer... he's not that bad, but I look at Atlas, that I made into a Dread Fighter, and compare their stats.... I'm saying that I miiiiiight have kinda srewed up. :p
And I dunno if I was RNG boned, but Leon and Python were pretty much the same as Tobin. Go figure. :p

Like I said, there must be price to pay for the ranged attack, but when I have Mathilda, Catria, or Saber who have stats (and ATK.... and also some ranged weapon) that are just that much better, I wonder why should I bother.

Guess I'll make Atlas into an Archer in my next game to see if he's that good as an archer.

Edited by B.Leu

• 2 weeks later...
On 23.5.2017 at 7:12 PM, アリサ ラインフォルト said:

Their stats aren't great but their range make up for it.

I find it annoying to deal with them.

I have to change my post in that way that I only find enemy archers are good simply because the benefit from the terrain much more than the allies.
Archers have increased range but therefore shitty accuracy.

It's pain to level them.

I made Tobin become an archer in my latest run because Python and Leon didn't turn out well and even died. The result was that he was even WORSE than them. Somehow I could promote him to a bow knight nevertheless. (don't ask me how)  It cost me lots of effort and time to do this because his hitrates were terrible. He had 80% at best against dark mages with the heaviest tomes equipped - just sad!
As a bow knight he has less speed (10) than baron Lukas (12), and loses even more when he has the silver bow equipped. Forging helps his accuracy and damage output a bit but at cost of speed. Even witches will double and 2RKO him. He can do free chip damage to mages with increased attack range - if he hits - but that's all.
The stupid terrain boost killed IS's idea of making archers better by giving them increased attack range.

As for allies it's my least favorite class BY FAR.

I honestly feel like RNG is playing a pretty big part in this, because a lot of what's being said in here massively contradicts how archers were in my playthrough. Tobin and Leon were my best units, tbh, and killed things just fine. Archers/Snipers/Bow Knights were essential for me for taking out other ranged classes, and I don't really get how others could regard them as useless unless they were just RNG screwed, or I was RNG blessed.

I feel like everyone who had issues with their archers just didn't forge themselves a killer bow. Hunting Volley turns archers from inaccurate slowpokes into your strongest and most reliable killing units pretty much instantaneously.

5 minutes ago, Oshimos said:

I feel like everyone who had issues with their archers just didn't forge themselves a killer bow. Hunting Volley turns archers from inaccurate slowpokes into your strongest and most reliable killing units pretty much instantaneously.

I never had trouble with my Archers (Leon was quite good, Tobin was reliable as well, Python kinda sucked tho) but i also didn't know how to forge a Killer Bow. Which bow can be turned into a Killer Bow?

42 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I never had trouble with my Archers (Leon was quite good, Tobin was reliable as well, Python kinda sucked tho) but i also didn't know how to forge a Killer Bow. Which bow can be turned into a Killer Bow?

Silver bows can be forged into killer bows. Highly recommend it. You can also get more silver bows by upgrading steel bows.

I found archers to be some of my most essential units especially in the lategame because of their 5 range.

Archers aren't very good? After Dreadfighters they always are my best units, in both Normal and Hard. Well, Python sure is weak (one of my top 3 killed units with Clyve and Tatiana) but they deal huge damages if you give them Killer Bow!

My Python & Leon both do great. They really want support when possible (Python is luckier in that regard), but i was always able to rely on them for both potshots and kills especially on frailer enemies like witches. And this was before getting the killer bow in the last leg of act 4 (much less before getting hunter's volley). Curved & Heavy Shot really really pull their weight when your hitrates just aren't good enough, too.

All my archers turned out pretty good, even Python. The ability to snipe other archers and mages is a huge advantage in this game. Leo pretty much soloed that desert stronghold map and my archers made Nuibaba's castle a whole lot more manageable.

I'm going to assume you mean "archer" and not bowknight. The reliability of archers is not very good compared to past entries however once an archer gets to bowknight they are awesome for picking off mages. I think they are still a very good addition to the team and while I had to be selective with my targets for archers at lower levels I didn't have much trouble. I had a lot of fun with them, and would still consider making Tobin an archer again, although Python seemed to be faster and with better accuracy compared to Tobin later in the game. Meaning I think it would be worth your while to have at least one archer that you level up to Bowknight class.

Can someone tell how to make them useful early on without investing too much coins for forging?

Also are Cliff or Gray better potential archers because Tobin completly failed?

The main issue with them is that they're slow and inaccurate, and in the beginning you don't have access to blacksmiths.

Edited by アリサ ラインフォルト