How hard would a no-pairup run be?

Synjid

Since enemies dont use pairup in Awakening, not using pairup with your own units seems only fair. I'm certainly not the first one to have this idea, so I wanted to share some thoughts about this : how harder would the game become without using pairup at all? I'm planning to try that in normal difficulty, but would hard mode become really hard? And has anyone ever attempted a no pairup Lunatic run?

Thanks for any thoughts or opinions on this!

There might be a topic about that already, but i was too lazy to search beyond the second page...

Edited by Synjid

My first playthrough of Awakening was with no pair-ups because I didn't even know what it was, lol. I played on normal/classic, so it was still pretty easy. 

I've done a few of those on hard classic. It's not hard or anything, still quite easy, truth be told, although it can provide some challenge at few times. It's the only way I find Awakening anything resembling interesting nowadays, to be honest.

I'm pretty sure Lunatic/Classic is impossible that way, at least the first few chapters.

Edited by Nobody

This has been my go-to for a while. I just play like that, nowadays. Pair-Up is broken as it is, and is probably only somewhat fair in Lunatic.

Hard Mode isn't really hard if you're aware of general FE, or this game on itself. And with that said, the game isn't particularly hard without it, but it does a significant amount of difficulty (again, the thing is broken as it is).

1 hour ago, Godhand said:

My first playthrough of Awakening was with no pair-ups because I didn't even know what it was, lol. I played on normal/classic, so it was still pretty easy. 

How did you miss it?

The last time I played through both Conquest and Awakening I forgot to pair up my units. Both times were on normal classic, but I imagine hard would be quite difficult that way.

6 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

How did you miss it?

I didn't miss it, but I just didn't know it was so useful. Awakening was the first Fire Emblem game I played after a long drought, and I don't think any of the previous games I played before Awakening had pair-up.

Just now, Light Strategist said:

Probably because Awakening introduced the mechanic.

Okay, so I was right, then. I wasn't sure because my memory of the mechanics for the older games is a bit hazy.

9 hours ago, Nobody said:

I'm pretty sure Lunatic/Classic is impossible that way, at least the first few chapters.

it's been done on lunatic/classic.

• 2 weeks later...

I did that once on hard. Felt like playing on lunatic. Don't think it will work on lunatic due to how stupid the early chapters are ... sure, it is possible as has been proven but it's not reasonable as a self-inflicted challenge ... at least not until say chapter 4. (Probably a bit like FE12 H4 without growths)

Edited by Caedes

• 3 weeks later...

Although Pair up is completely optional, some units can benefit from it and really....why try making the game harder by beating the game without it if the game is as challenging as it is.

I think people need to complain about the pair up bonuses rather than the pair up itself.