So...Ships, anyone?

Just now, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

Oh I can go on. Chrom and Sumia's dialogue was changed from actual meaningful conversation into one giant joke about pies. Walhart's support convos with Morgan got completely butchered to make Walhart into an asshole when he flat out isn't in the Japanese version, Henry got his entire character changed to start making jokes when he was just a sort of aloof character in the Japanese version, certain places like Tellius got insinuated to be outrealms when they're just flat out across the ocean in the Japanese version (this is big because it's one of the central sources of continuity), they completely removed an entire silent option for the avatar which resulted in Chrom getting less overall dialogue than the Japanese version, Lissa is supposedly alive in the future when she's 100% dead in the original text, which manages to cause a continuity issue because later on her being dead is a major plot point, there's even a few memes tucked into support convos that were hopelessly dated even when Awakening first released....

I could go on and on and on but id rather not have a wall of text, and the major issues Fates gets called out for all get ticked off by Awakening's localization, yet people don't seem to actually acknowledge that fact.

Meh. I dislike Awakening anyway, so I don't feel like arguing with you on this. But what about Echoes? Echoes had some of the best writing in the franchise, in my opinion. So could 8-4 have done to mess up Echoes? I sure as hell didn't see anything.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, bufkus said:

Alm and Celica is a completely terrible pairing IMO.

They liked each other as kids sure but then they don't meet for years and still maintained that crush? And then they barely see each other for half the game. I totally don't buy that relationship at all. Meanwhile Alm's spent a lot of time with Clair and Saber probably would have seduced Celica. Those are far more realistic couplings that would have naturally developed.

I love the characters in this game but I feel they really did a pisspoor job with the story.

Yeah, that's really why I dislike Alm/Celica. Its based off of pure childhood infatuation. That's.. not going to turn out well, realistically. Unless they can somehow chill tf out and immediately realize they are no longer their childhood selves, that ship is going to sink. Except its not cos its canon. But whatever. Celica/literally anybody else and Alm/literally anybody else 4 lyfe

I'm vanilla as hell and is fine with the canon pairings and some of the few rando pairs like SIlque/Jesse, Python/Forsythe, Leon/happiness, Kamui/money, etc...

Sure the childhood infatuation was the premise of the Celica/Alm pair but the few consequent future interactions show that despite their distance and that fight in ch 2, they still respect and are devoted to each other. They don't over-idealize one another's personalities and admits to mistakes when they are out of line, which is pretty much what you want in a good relationship or in the start of one. If they didn't acknowledge their faults and blame each other, I would not as like it as much.

Postgame Alm and Celica supports when Intsys I was severely disappointed

Edited by kynimdraws

13 hours ago, Korath88 said:

Oh god not this shit again

I don't see any pairings except the Canon pairings working with the story. The thing I like most about fixed pairings is that they have actual chemistry, and are actually well written unlike the other 3ds games where you can force two characters who have no chemistry into a marriage.

Celica/Saber and Alm/Clair is sin and should be kept off this forum. Stop trying to turn this game into a shipping sim 

Geez, get a load of this guy. And yes while they're not canon, arguments can be made that Clair/Alm and Saber/Celica have good chemistry, especially the latter. In fact you could also make an argument that Alm/Celica feels terribly forced.

2 hours ago, Bowbow said:

Geez, get a load of this guy. And yes while they're not canon, arguments can be made that Clair/Alm and Saber/Celica have good chemistry, especially the latter. In fact you could also make an argument that Alm/Celica feels terribly forced.

I think why there no more canon couples in fire emblem is because players have different ships and favor one over the other. Plus saves them a hassle to develop the couple.

6 hours ago, Lord Raymond said:

I just overall hate almost all gay ships, I guess. I mean, 90% of them are made by people who have no idea that two guys can just be friends. I don't see anything romantic between Python and Forsyth. I saw a great, platonic friendship. Sure, Python calls guys studs sometimes, but that just is like calling someone "cool". Plus, Forsyth even ends up marrying a woman in one of his endings, so I don't think he is gay at least. I won't argue that Leon isn't gay though. He totally is. I still don't ship Valbar and Leon, though. To me, its unwarranted love like Faye and Alm.

Do you also hate straight ships that do this or...? Because 90% of those ships, canon or otherwise, operate under the same pretense unless they outright declare their love in the main game, most of them marrying only in the ending, and yet people dont have a problem with the whole "theyre close friends = theyre in love!"  Thing with straight ships.

I agree there are some annoying shippers that fetishisizes our relationships (nothing makes my blood boil more than self proclaimed fujoshis) but its kind of hypocritical to hate gay ships for how forced they are when many of the straight ships in any piece of media are the same or worse

Just now, Doof said:

Do you also hate straight ships that do this or...? Because 90% of those ships, canon or otherwise, operate under the same pretense unless they outright declare their love in the main game, most of them marrying only in the ending, and yet people dont have a problem with the whole "theyre close friends = theyre in love!"  Thing with straight ships.

I agree there are some annoying shippers that fetishisizes our relationships (nothing makes my blood boil more than self proclaimed fujoshis) but its kind of hypocritical to hate gay ships for how forced they are when many of the straight ships in any piece of media are the same or worse

Its just that for most straight ships, they are at least some sort of romance or teasing going on. But in most gay ships, the guys are just very close friends, and platonic. I just can't get over stuff like Ike x Soren, Gerik x Joshua, and Raven x Lucius. I just don't see it at all.

41 minutes ago, Lord Raymond said:

Its just that for most straight ships, they are at least some sort of romance or teasing going on. But in most gay ships, the guys are just very close friends, and platonic. I just can't get over stuff like Ike x Soren, Gerik x Joshua, and Raven x Lucius. I just don't see it at all.

Well, I'm personally bored out of my mind with nearly every straight couple in fe:e. I mean, Berkut and Rinea? Rinea forgiving Berkut? Honey.. 
and also, Zeke and Tatiana? That relationship SUCKS. Zeke keeping things from Tatiana, and Tatiana selfishly hoping Zeke will never learn about his past.. That's kind of just disgusting. It could be argued that it adds ~flavor~ to their relationship, but man, if Zeke really wanted to stay with Tatiana, he could've just told her he remembered everything, and then reassured her that he's staying. And then there's Faye and her unnamed husband! Like, holy crap. That poor guy has to deal with Faye jerkin' it over Alm all the time. 

My point is, despite how canon a lot of straight couples are, they all suck. They might be cute on the surface, but if you look even a bit closer you'll see they're full of unhealthy turmoil. The only reason I like Mae and Boey is because its well established they have a huge respect for each other. Forsyth<3Python has more chemistry than Forsyth<3obligatory-unnamed-wife. 

17 hours ago, KongDude said:

Celica is half his age and Genny is even younger, like why?

But it's implied that Genny and Saber end up together. It's less of a ship and more of a probably-canon sorta thing. xD I mean, if Genny likes her some older men then you know what? I say go for it gurl. Chase your red-haired 30+ dreams.

If you'd like me to explain where/how it's implied, that's fine. (Genny's implication of being with Saber is more noticeable and makes a little more sense in Gaiden - I'm just assuming it's supposed to be interpreted the same in Echoes)

Anyways as far as shipping people goes? I never really thought about it.

5 minutes ago, SuperIb said:

But it's implied that Genny and Saber end up together. It's less of a ship and more of a probably-canon sorta thing. xD I mean, if Genny likes her some older men then you know what? I say go for it gurl. Chase your red-haired 30+ dreams.

If you'd like me to explain where/how it's implied, that's fine. (Genny's implication of being with Saber is more noticeable and makes a little more sense in Gaiden - I'm just assuming it's supposed to be interpreted the same in Echoes)

Oooh, I'd like to know. I admit that before I found out Genny is 15 years old, I kinda shipped her and Saber because they look..nice together. ~_~ 

7 minutes ago, SuperIb said:

They have no support convo or passive, and their endings don't change regardless if either one of them die, so it's really just conjecture. Not to say it's extremely unlikely, just not to be taken as anything remotely canon.

19 minutes ago, lordcorrin said:

Zeke keeping things from Tatiana, and Tatiana selfishly hoping Zeke will never learn about his past.. That's kind of just disgusting. It could be argued that it adds ~flavor~ to their relationship, but man, if Zeke really wanted to stay with Tatiana, he could've just told her he remembered everything, and then reassured her that he's staying.

With how terrible his experiences were back in Archanea, I can't blame the dude for not wanting to talk about it.

I don't think Genny and Saber are meant to be canon tho since their endings still refer to them getting married even if one dies. I mean ship away, but still.

9 minutes ago, SuperIb said:

Like stated above, their endings stay the same regardless if the other dies. Going a little more in depth, Genny's ending states that it was someone that they never expected and that they ask her who they are. I think what it's trying to say is that they've seen her spouse, just that they don't know a single thing about him. Saber's ending says that he has a "stunning bride". Genny may be adorable and such, but I wouldn't call her stunning. It definitely isn't implied, but more of a fanmade ship.

23 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

They have no support convo or passive, and their endings don't change regardless if either one of them die, so it's really just conjecture. Not to say it's extremely unlikely, just not to be taken as anything remotely canon.

It's to do with the endings. in Gaiden, Genny's ending went like this; "Though no one could have possibly dreamed of it happening, it's said that she fell in love with one of her companions. Who in the world could that person be? Her only answer is a smile." versus her Echoes ending which goes like this; "After falling in a most unlikely love, Genny wed a man no one would ever expect. As for whom she married, exactly, no one can say—whenever her friends asked, she replied only with a smile and an enigmatic laugh."

So going off of Gaiden's ending, you know it's someone who was in the party and it's someone you wouldn't really see her being with - maybe a mercenary? (Also noting the fact that they don't have any supports and what not, it makes even more sense because that truly is surprising lmao)

For Saber's ending, the original Gaiden was really bare-bones so I won't quote that, but here's his Echoes ending; "Along with Jesse, Saber helped build the foundation for a new kingdom of, and for, mercenaries. He continued working as a sellsword for years to come and aided the One Kingdom on many occasions—always with his stunning bride by his side."

So basically, this is what it boils down to. Every other character's ending who ends up married has no implication of it being a party member. Furthermore, none of them use adjectives like "stunning" to describe their partners except for Saber. It's unusual (Though not impossible) for specific adjectives like this to be used to describe misc. unknown characters (aka the partners that other characters end up marrying). Not only that, but Saber and Genny have the most vague details about their partners as nothing about them is said besides Genny's love being surprising/towards a companion and the whole "stunning" thing. As these are the only characters to have such endings, it can be implied that they end up together. Also if I recall correctly, most other character endings say that *insert character name here* marries either a villager or a blacksmith and whatnot, listing an actual occupation or specifically saying they married a generic villager. Anyways, it just seems odd to have these details and tid-bits and not assume they're related somehow.

I mean, this isn't a "Confirmed 100% canon" thing, but just an implication. Take it with a grain of salt, but I can see it true. If you have any input to give go ahead. This is just how I interpreted everything.

EDIT: When you write an essay regarding an unpopular ship just to try to show that it holds stock. Bring on the judgement lmao.

Edited by SuperIb

10 minutes ago, SuperIb said:

It's to do with the endings. in Gaiden, Genny's ending went like this; "Though no one could have possibly dreamed of it happening, it's said that she fell in love with one of her companions. Who in the world could that person be? Her only answer is a smile." versus her Echoes ending which goes like this; "After falling in a most unlikely love, Genny wed a man no one would ever expect. As for whom she married, exactly, no one can say—whenever her friends asked, she replied only with a smile and an enigmatic laugh."

So going off of Gaiden's ending, you know it's someone who was in the party and it's someone you wouldn't really see her being with - maybe a mercenary? (Also noting the fact that they don't have any supports and what not, it makes even more sense because that truly is surprising lmao)

For Saber's ending, the original Gaiden was really bare-bones so I won't quote that, but here's his Echoes ending; "Along with Jesse, Saber helped build the foundation for a new kingdom of, and for, mercenaries. He continued working as a sellsword for years to come and aided the One Kingdom on many occasions—always with his stunning bride by his side."

So basically, this is what it boils down to. Every other character's ending who ends up married has no implication of it being a party member. Furthermore, none of them use adjectives like "stunning" to describe their partners except for Saber. It's unusual (Though not impossible) for specific adjectives like this to be used to describe misc. unknown characters (aka the partners that other characters end up marrying). Not only that, but Saber and Genny have the most vague details about their partners as nothing about them is said besides Genny's love being surprising/towards a companion and the whole "stunning" thing. As these are the only characters to have such endings, it can be implied that they end up together. Also if I recall correctly, most other character endings say that *insert character name here* marries either a villager or a blacksmith and whatnot, listing an actual occupation or specifically saying they married a generic villager. Anyways, it just seems odd to have these details and tid-bits and not assume they're related somehow.

I mean, this isn't a "Confirmed 100% canon" thing, but just an implication. Take it with a grain of salt, but I can see it true. If you have any input to give go ahead. This is just how I interpreted everything.

And like I already said, their endings don't change regardless if either of them die. This is especially true if Genny dies, since Saber still takes in said "stunning" wife with no issues. Also, the support thing I mentioned is actually significant, because every character gets passive supports with literally everyone that they might be somewhat related to or would communicate with (Celica and all the Ram Village kids), even in passing (Silque and Jesse), with the sole exception of Jesse and Kamui.

It is still a valid ship with some support from in-game material, but I was disagreeing with your statement that the ship can be anything remotely close to semi-canon.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

In neither Gaiden nor Echoes do either of their endings change if Genny or Saber is dead.

I mean you can ship what you want, but it's not remotely close to canon.

7 minutes ago, SuperIb said:

But if Genny dies, Saber's "stunning" bride isn't her. If Saber dies, Genny's unknown lover isn't him.

It's not that IS is lazy and keeps the same ending. It's simply that it isn't each other.

Why does everyone ignore what so many of us have said about this.

Edited by KongDude

I just thought: Genny has never had a father in her life (I think), and her mother abandoned her at a young age. Psychologists currently believe that the key cause for a father complex to develop is the lack of a father figure in life. She does say she wants an older man.

Saber could be Genny's father (at least age-wise and hair color it makes sense, and Saber did play around as seen in his support with Jesse, but nothing solid really, just my headcanon).

Estranged blood relatives that meet for the first time as adults often fall victim to genetic sexual attraction (yay Fire Emblem).

I'm going to hell for this

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

8 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

And like I already said, their endings don't change regardless if either of them die. This is especially true if Genny dies, since Saber still takes in said "stunning" wife with no issues. Also, the support thing I mentioned is actually significant, because every character gets passive supports with literally everyone that they might be somewhat related to or would communicate with (Celica and all the Ram Village kids), with the sole exception of Jesse and Kamui.

I said in my first post that this was a more obvious implication in Gaiden because her ending only says she falls in love with someone unlikely, not that she married them. This was changed in Echoes so you know. It does seem a lot less likely.

Again, my argument really only holds stock in Gaiden, not Echoes.

Anyways, about the supports thing, I still think it makes sense because since she doesn't support with them or passive support, it truly makes it surprising lol.

I really could care less if anyone believes in this. I mean, it's not canon lol. Oh, I would like to note that in Gaiden, they didn't have official ages and let's be honest, Saber looked like an edgy child with an eye-patch.

Just now, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Saber could be Genny's father (at least age-wise and hair color it makes sense, and Saber did play around as seen in his support with Jesse, but nothing solid really, just my headcanon).

Estranged blood relatives that meet for the first time as adults often fall victim to genetic sexual attraction (yay Fire Emblem).

I'm going to hell for this

lmao I love it.

Edited by SuperIb

1 hour ago, Lord Raymond said:

Gerik x Joshua? That's a new one I've never seen.

And like I said, its perfectly fine if you don't ship gay ships, but only if its because you don't seem them together and not because they're gay ships. As for me, I prefer it when my ships have more content to them than simple "oh he/shes hot. i dont know them but were a guy and a girl so it totally works out lets get together even though we never though/showed this at all in the story!" thing. And this is not only reserved to straight ships; i hate gay ships done by fangirls just because they look good together/they've never interacted but they look together.

It's easy to gravitate towards ships were guys a very close friends because that's what a relationship should be based on. And it's not all the close relationships between guys that I find possible as gay ships regardless. Like, for example, Ranulf and Ike are friends, they have a shared ending... but I myself don't see it as a ship I like, unlike Soren x Ike which is very deep, emotional, they both appreciate each other and trust each other deeply and are the most important people in their lives. It's easy to gravitate towards the possibility of this becoming a relationship, far more than Ike X Mia and Ike x Elinicia, who in the first are more sparring buddies and on the second is a one sided crush that Elincia eventually gets over (and her crush on Ike was inserted into the localization by 8-4 so shrug). Same with Raven x Lucius. Neither of them show any kind of devotion or interest in any other non-filial person aside from each other and no matter how you slice it, their last support is not even subtext. I personally find that kind of relationship far more romantic or with a future than "raven/lucius marries some random gal we never met" and i seriously doubt its the worst thing in the world.

But that's just me speaking out of personal experience; basically tl;dr: i dont have time for superficial and shallow ships, be them straight or gay, and I gravitate towards ships where there's a palpable bond, be them straight or gay, canon or not explicitly so

1 hour ago, lordcorrin said:

I mean, Berkut and Rinea? Rinea forgiving Berkut?

Because Rinea knows it isn't Berkut's fault.

Zeke and Tatiana? That relationship SUCKS. Zeke keeping things from Tatiana, and Tatiana selfishly hoping Zeke will never learn about his past..

Except then you realize that the stuff Zeke is keeping from her is actually pretty tragic stuff. Do you think he wants Tatiana worrying about how he got rekt by Marth? Or how he was forced to part with Nyna? Oh, and i guess people aren't allowed to be selfish. Because perfect relationships totally exist.

And then there's Faye and her unnamed husband! Like, holy crap. That poor guy has to deal with Faye jerkin' it over Alm all the time. 

It's not like the guy cares anyway. I'm actually more surprised Faye married in the first place. But being the optimist that i am, i like to believe she did find happiness with her new family. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On the subject of Saber x Genny, i don't think the two married. I don't know, the idea of Genny running a mercenary kingdom alongside Saber just feels weird, especially since Genny would rather stay at home, even if she hates being left behind. We know she prefers older men, but we're never given a range She says Alm isn't her type, and Alm is 17. So by older, she could mean someone in their early 20s.