How to beat the final boss?

I'm asking this because it's impossible for me to beat the final boss under normal conditions.

Spoiler

When the boss is under a certain HP number, only Alm can attack him.
However: He can't kill him with two regular attacks. He needs at least one crit.
Since he never did it despite using all my eight time wheels... he got murdered finally by Dooma.

So, this game really forces me to gamble that Alm can dodge at least one attack of him + other crap (there were still other enemies left next to him).

I'm honest this is dumbest shit in videogames I've ever had to deal with.
FE is a strategy series. Of course there's 100% hit and miss, but when I even have to depend on a crit, sry, but THIS WENT TOO FAR!!!

Yes, my opinion about Echoes wasn't really high before, but it reached deep bottom right now.

Sry, for this.
But I would like to share my feelings about this "mechanic".

Edited by アリサ ラインフォルト

1) Isn't the shield drop hit always a crit? I actually don't know, but I recall that being so.

2) You actually just need to abuse Invoke. Unless you're extremely unlucky, the final boss will always hit the illusions instead of actual units.

1. What is shield drop?
  2. I did it actually till he started to move.

Also that's not the point. I just would like to know how Alm can solo him?
I even placed Celica next to him - heared it's an instant crit in FE2 - but it doesn't work here.

Edited by アリサ ラインフォルト

6 minutes ago, アリサ ラインフォルト said:
  1. What is shield drop?
  2. I did it actually till he started to move.

Also that's not the point. I just would like to know how Alm can solo him?
I even placed Celica next to him - heared it's an instant crit in FE2 - but it doesn't work here.

The final hit Alm does to the final boss. He throws away his shield, then does a stab which I think is a guaranteed crit.

Even if he moves, it doesn't actually matter. He'll still hit the illusions. As long as you keep illusions up, you can have Celica and other people heal Alm up freely. There's no way he can one-shot Alm unless you never used him.

Kill everyone else off first before fighting the final boss, if they're in your way. It requires you to enter the boss' range, but all you need to do is Invoke first.

The instant crit is gone now, but Celica gives Alm like, +20 crit.

He didn't do it.

I think Duma had 42 HP left.
Alm could 2 x 12 damage => 48 damage with a crit.
But he didn't crit, much less threw away a shield.

Side question: Have Jedah and the other mini bosses to be killed?
Jedah, one of the two witch bosses, and the Medusa sorcerer were alive when I fought Duma.

Just now, アリサ ラインフォルト said:

He didn't do it.

I think Duma had 42 HP left.
Alm could 2 x 12 damage => 48 damage with a crit.
But he didn't crit, much less threw away a shield.

Side question: Have Jedah and the other mini bosses to be killed?
Jedah, one of the two witch bosses, and the Medusa sorcerer were alive when I fought Duma.

Huh. Okay. Eventually he'll do it though.

No, it's not necessary to kill everyone, but it makes it much easier when you don't have two Witches spamming Aura and having to deal with Medusa, while Mogalls from Jedah swarm you.

Just now, アリサ ラインフォルト said:

Thanks for your answers despite my main problem is still not solved yet.
It seems to be really luckbased right here.

Or did / do I have to do sth. with the Falchion?

The crit just makes it go faster. The general gameplan of Invoke + healing Alm doesn't change.

You just need Alm to attack with the Falchion, that's all. No special steps needed.

I remember spamming Physic with Taitana, Mage!Tobin, and Genny to keep Alm alive. I sent Dread Fighter Kliff and Dread Fighter Saber into the fray to remove the mages. Duma was only interested in Alm. Once it was just Duma down there, I would let Duma attack Alm on enemy phase. When it was all said and done, I think the strategy was just to heal up Alm when he was low, and attack when he wasn't. Then again, my Alm was a powerhouse, your mileage may vary.

As long as Duma's HP is above a certain point, other units can attack him, so hit him with your highest damage unit as soon as the threshold is about to go under, and then have Alm finish him. As long as Duma has less than 3x Alm's damage left in HP, Alm will instantly finish the fight, as far as I know. As long as your party isn't full of invalids, Duma shouldn't be much trouble.

In my hard mode play, my DF!Gray did a crit taking Duma from ~50 down to 15 HP, then Alm just stuffed him full of Falchion.

By the way, taking Jedah out makes setting up for Duma a lot easier.

Edited by BlizzardWolf95

3 minutes ago, Leonarth said:

I remember spamming Physic with Taitana, Mage!Tobin, and Genny to keep Alm alive. I sent Dread Fighter Kliff and Dread Fighter Saber into the fray to remove the mages. Duma was only interested in Alm. Once it was just Duma down there, I would let Duma attack Alm on enemy phase. When it was all said and done, I think the strategy was just to heal up Alm when he was low, and attack when he wasn't. Then again, my Alm was a powerhouse, your mileage may vary.

How much did you grind?

I didn't grind an intense amount, but I do remember Alm reached level 20 before promoting, mostly because Alm was one of my main units. The only real grinding I did was to catch Python up and to get Delthea a few levels before starting Act 4.

These explanations are nice but it doesn't really help me further.
Crits are still required.

Also I used Gradvius trading to bring him down. It needed two turns and one of my peggies, Faye, died in enemy phase.
In the second turn I did it again till I saw that attacks were uneffective against him. (~42 HP)
Then it was up to Alm...

I'm curious of this as well, I don't exactly remember my Alm's stats, but he at least had a 30% crit or so when fighting Duma. Although he didn't crit on the finishing blow. Maybe because Duma attacked and it was enemy phase, but still.

4 minutes ago, アリサ ラインフォルト said:

These explanations are nice but it doesn't really help me further.
Crits are still required.

Also I used Gradvius trading to bring him down. It needed two turns and one of my peggies, Faye, died in enemy phase.
In the second turn I did it again till I saw that attacks were uneffective against him. (~42 HP)
Then it was up to Alm...

Just don't let Alm die. You should be bringing every Saint you have, because they're that good.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

Duma legit isn't that hard. Just spam Invoke, and he'll go after the illusions. As mentioned above, it's best to take out everybody else too.

Once he's below half HP, only Alm can attack him. He shouldn't be one-shot anyways, unless he was never used.

While it's an expensive spell, Faye's Anew can be a good help in helping Alm take down Duma.

I beat Duma on hard btw. Honestly, Duma's biggest threat was Upheavel, but as long as you have Tatiana with Fortify, it shouldn't be an issue.

I'd argue Jedah was a bigger threat, because he basically has Close/Distant Counter on steroids, as well as the damage negation thing that makes it so that he can only be attacked every 4th time.

Edit: i beat Duma without crits too.

Edited by Armagon

Just now, Armagon said:

Once he's below half HP, only Alm can attack him. He shouldn't be one-shot anyways, unless he was never used.

He actually has 182 HP (200 on Hard), and his seal doesn't activate until he has about 30% of his health left (56 for Normal mode, not sure if it's the same number for Hard, I don't think it was).

• Level: 12
  • HP: 44
  • attack: 22
  • skill: 21
  • speed: 21
  • luck: 19
  • defense: 15
  • resistance: 5

I totally forgot to mention one important thing which made it impossible for me:
Duma heals 40 HP in enemy phase.
Alm can 4RKO him and take at least one hit, but since he's healing every turn, it's not possible without a crit.

I'll head off now so I'll reply later.
I appreciate each post from you and all the further ones.
Thanks!

Edited by アリサ ラインフォルト

1 minute ago, アリサ ラインフォルト said:

I totally forgot to mention one important thing which made it impossible for me:
Alm can 4RKO him and take at least one hit, but since he's healing every turn, it's not possible without a crit.

Have you tried Scendscale?

3 minutes ago, アリサ ラインフォルト said:

Thanks!

That's probably because the Medusa guy is healing him, right?

6 minutes ago, アリサ ラインフォルト said:

Thanks!

Yeah, uh, ignore what I said then unless you have really good healers. My Alm had around 25 defense at this stage in the game (even though I think Duma's attack goes through Def and Res). He also had late 20's for most other stats, save HP which was a solid 45. He was only level 10 though by that point.

3 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

That's probably because the Medusa guy is healing him, right?

IIRC Duma has a built in recovery effect. I remember I killed all but Jedah and Duma still recovered HP, and Jedah doesn't heal I'm pretty sure.

1 minute ago, Leonarth said:

IIRC Duma has a built in recovery effect. I remember I killed all but Jedah and Duma still recovered HP, and Jedah doesn't heal I'm pretty sure.

He doesn't recover 40 though, iirc. Then again I hit the benchmark for the shield drop just fine.

Just now, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

He doesn't recover 40 though, iirc. Then again I hit the benchmark for the shield drop just fine.

Yeah, it was 5 HP a turn, I think. Then again, if he did recover 40 HP that'd be stupid.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember Duma healing back ~40 HP in one go when he's a dangerously low HP. Maybe this is only on Hard, but I think it does happen, just to put Duma back at the threshold. 

My Alm promoted at Lv18, and had 27 Str, 21 Def, 24 Spd and 22 Tec as a Lv16 Hero on Hard, and Duma was 2-3 turns of Gray and Tobin bullying him until Gray crit'd and Alm bodied him.