How to beat the final boss?

Just now, BlizzardWolf95 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember Duma healing back ~40 HP in one go when he's a dangerously low HP. Maybe this is only on Hard, but I think it does happen, just to put Duma back at the threshold. 

I was on Hard as well, and he never did anything like that. Did you not focus down the magic users nearby first? I mean, I didn't bother with Duma until he was all that was left, so the magic users nearby couldn't have healed him, but other than that I don't know how he healed 40 HP.

I have had him heal 40 HP in one turn before, when I played it. None of the magic users were in range.

It might just be when he's in the threshold of dying, or something. I don't know what causes it.

Duma's regeneration jumps up from 5HP to 40HP when he's low on health. I don't know the exact number but I assume it's whenever he gets below the same 50 something where he becomes immune to non-Falchion damage.

I beat Duma after abusing Invoke and killing all the other enemies. Make sure you have his range up though because if the invoked allies aren't in range then obviously he won't attack them haha. Just used Invoke when I was running short on allies, then attacked with Alm and Falchion and healed Alm if needed. He did heal 40 HP every turn after awhile, but like someone else said, Alm will do a final hit on Duma eventually.

3 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

2) You actually just need to abuse Invoke. Unless you're extremely unlucky, the final boss will always hit the illusions instead of actual units.

Just be sure when you do this, make sure the summoner can't be attacked, the enemy may prioritize the illusions, but they'll kill the summoner if they have the chance

I didn't really have any problems, playing on Hard!Classic. I didn't even think about using invoke which probably hurt me, but what can you do? lol.

Anyways, what I did was kill off all the other bosses along with the cantor before I even attempted Duma, as I knew I'd get wrecked. So when they were killed, I sent Alm in to attack with Sonya and Delthea following. After Alm attacked, if he got hit I used Genny and Faye to physic him, otherwise I ended my turn. When Duma attacked, he only went for Alm. If he landed a hit then I'd use Delthea and Sonya to heal him. But again, if I actually invoked then it would've been a lot easier. Regardless I won in the end. Halla.

As far as his healing went, he never healed 40 HP for me... so can't help you there.

Didn't have much trouble beating Duma in just 1 turn, though I did get very lucky with crits.

Double crit from gray, double crit from Atlas (both were brave sword dread fighters) Gradivus crit from Zeke.

Then Alm just walks up and kills Duma.

Speaking of Alm, his final stats were ridiculous.

24(+10) Atk, 31 Skl, 25 Spd, 18 Lck, 20 Def, 7 Res. Talk about broken.

More notes of my playthrough

• playing on normal
  • Duma healed himself by 40 HP; it was definitely not the Medusa sorcerer
  • gave Alm crit boost by Celica standing next to him and Clair support; Faye died unfortunately

So I really have to count on my luck. lol
What a retarded bossfight.

I'm still thinking about if I forgot to do sth. elementary before the fight.

32 minutes ago, アリサ ラインフォルト said:

More notes of my playthrough

• playing on normal
  • Duma healed himself by 40 HP; it was definitely not the Medusa sorcerer
  • gave Alm crit boost by Celica standing next to him and Clair support; Faye died unfortunately

So I really have to count on my luck. lol
What a retarded bossfight.

I'm still thinking about if I forgot to do sth. elementary before the fight.

No, you don't. Here's how it works: when Duma's HP goes below a certain threshold, he becomes immune to everything but the Falchion and recovers 40HP at the start of the enemy phase to get back above the threshold.

What you want to do is this: get him as close as you can to the threshold, then have your strongest unit attack. This should leave Duma at, idk, 1-30 HP depending on how close to the threshold he was and how strong your unit is. Then you simply attack with Alm, and he'll do the finisher. It's pretty much just like softening up enemies with a Jagen so other units can get the kill. No luck required.

Edited by Person with good opinions

6 hours ago, Person with good opinions said:

No, you don't. Here's how it works: when Duma's HP goes below a certain threshold, he becomes immune to everything but the Falchion and recovers 40HP at the start of the enemy phase to get back above the threshold.

What you want to do is this: get him as close as you can to the threshold, then have your strongest unit attack. This should leave Duma at, idk, 1-30 HP depending on how close to the threshold he was and how strong your unit is. Then you simply attack with Alm, and he'll do the finisher. It's pretty much just like softening up enemies with a Jagen so other units can get the kill. No luck required.

Sorry if I misunderstood your comment, but that's exactly what I did.
Duma had 42 HP left and - after reading your comments - Alm should do the finisher 12 + 12 x 3 = 48 damage to him. (could do 12 damage to Duma)
But as I said he didn't crit him in his second attack despite the crit would kill him.
That's the point I don't understand, and why I still think it's luckbased.

Anyways I've beaten Duma in my second attempt.
The playstyle was pretty much the same. Four units trapped him and in two turns he could be brought down to 45 HP.
However this time Alm decided to crit him with his second attack. (Clair support + Celica bond support) (12 + 3 x 12 > 45 HP)
I still don't know the gimmick of this.

46 minutes ago, アリサ ラインフォルト said:

Sorry if I misunderstood your comment, but that's exactly what I did.
Duma had 42 HP left and - after reading your comments - Alm should do the finisher 12 + 12 x 3 = 48 damage to him. (could do 12 damage to Duma)
But as I said he didn't crit him in his second attack despite the crit would kill him.
That's the point I don't understand, and why I still think it's luckbased.

Anyways I've beaten Duma in my second attempt.
The playstyle was pretty much the same. Four units trapped him and in two turns he could be brought down to 45 HP.
However this time Alm decided to crit him with his second attack. (Clair support + Celica bond support) (12 + 3 x 12 > 45 HP)
I still don't know the gimmick of this.

Congratulations on beating it.

Your confusion is understandable, since you were misinformed earlier in the topic. There's no guaranteed crit from Alm. The game simply checks during combat if Duma would die in this round, and if he would, Alm does the finisher. In scenario one, Alm rolls no crits, meaning he does 24 damage. This doesn't deplete Duma's 42 HP, so there's no finisher. In scenario two, Alm rolls a crit, taking the damage up to 48 for the round, which would kill Duma, so the finisher is performed. In your case, you'd want to get Duma down to 24 HP (12 x 2) with other units to be certain of victory. But seeing as you won, it's not terribly important at this point.

I think I found out a way how to take out Duma without hoping for an Alm crit:

Once Duma gets below 48 hp, he can only be hurt by alm, but when above 48 hp he can be still be knocked down below 48 hp to at least 1
He regains 40 hp when below that so you can try to get the hp lower to so alm would be able to auto finish if alm's first attack x3 would kill him
Is it dumb? YES. But is it how it works, yes.

I must bring him down to an HP area where's he still vulnerable against everyone and someone deals high enough damage (calculating without crit) that Alm can oneshot him with a crit.

Well, I at least believe Alm will auto crit if one crit would kill him, I hope I'm not mistaken.
I believe I've heard others say it, so...

You can use the Nosferatu trick to reduce him to low HP, then finish him with Alm, as Nosferatu still deals damage to Duma, even below 52HP. Also worth noting that the invincibility only kicks in after Duma hits the magic 52, so if you use a triangle attack when he's on ~60HP you can get him REALLY low on HP. Also, if you get him to the stage where a single crit will kill (<37HP in your case), Alm will ALWAYS crit, regardless of RNG.

I hope that helps!

Python did most of the damage for me - he dodged one turn and got two hits in in retaliation. First attack:

tumblr_oqm09xWhLw1qbv3hqo1_1280.jpg

After that, i believe I had Leon shoot at him as well, surviving with ~2 hp left, haha. I then used Rescue (with Faye) to get him out ot the way. Healing done with Genny + Tatiana. I believe Duma used his AoE spell here somewhere which made him not attack someone, but I'm pretty sure Python got hit once or twice, but enough healers made this possible. Tatiana's Fortify is a godsend. Then, during the last turn of Duma's life, Python got two crits I believe, the second one seemingly dealing no damage, but left him at 28 hp nonetheless, as shown here where Alm is about to finish him:

tumblr_oqm09xWhLw1qbv3hqo2_1280.jpg

So I don't know. Maybe that last attack by Python did damage Duma after all even though it showed like it did not. I didn't reflect on it at the time, I just wanted to kill the dragon lol.

Wishing you good luck with your endgame!!