So I think we can all agree that Faye is probably the most disliked out of the playable cast. Yet, despite that, i found myself liking her quite a bit. So to find out why I like Faye and why i'm defending her, we need to take a close look at her character she's one note so analyzing her character isn't that hard.

To begin, we know that Faye has a crush on Alm, which is her main trait. She's had that crush on Alm ever since they were children, and when Faye was saved by Alm, that's where the crush likely depend to it's current point. "I remember when we were children and those knaves cornered us in the woods. You came to our rescue like a knight in shining armor. Ha ha. Look at you! You’re blushing! But it’s true. You’ve always been my knight, you know? Then and now." -Act 1 Base Convo. One of the things that i really appreciate about Faye is that, despite being obsessed with Alm, she genuinely loves him. "You always were braver than me." -Act 1 Base Convo. "They said I talk too much about you. They want to know what’s happening with me, not you. But they don’t understand that I AM writing about myself! Or at least I’m writing about what matters to me…" -Act 4 Base Convo. And then of course, there's Faye confessing to Alm in their A-Support.

So Faye gets called a yandere....pretty commonly actually. But i don't see her as one. Outside of maybe the obsession (more on that later), she doesn't fulfill the qualifications of being a yandere. She doesn't stalk Alm, she doesn't go after any of the girls that talk to Alm, and most importantly, she handles the freindzone pretty well. However, one counter-argument you might have is her lines in her C and B-Supports with Alm where she says "Now, shall I head back out there and slay more of your enemies for you?!","I'll fight for any cause you desire!", and "I drank a bunch of tea, so I'm ready to kill in your name! Just point me at your enemies and watch me go!". Perfectly understandable counter-argument, however, Faye being a yandere simply isn't true in my eyes. Let's take a look at the facts. There's one thing that Alm says in his B-Support with Faye that caught my attention: "But I'm worried about the toll this war is taking on her...". Basically, what the game is telling us here is that Faye wanting to kill enemies in Alm's name is more of an effect of the war rather than Faye herself. There is more evidence to support this. For starters, Faye is against joining the Deliverence, saying it's too dangerous. In fact, she only obviously joins the Deliverance with the sole thought of staying close to Alm and keeping him safe. "I'll grow however I can to keep you safe, Alm." -Faye's promotion quote. In addition, Faye is probably the least experienced with weapons. Sure, she did train with Mycen ("I was taught by the best." -one of Faye's victory quotes) but she's the only one of the Ram Villagers that has no indicator of what her canon class is (it's Pegasus Knight if Cipher is any indication), compared to Tobin, who shot some arrows, Kliff who practiced magic, and Gray, who sparred with a fence. And in her A-Support, when she's confessing to Alm, she says "And we'll never have to fight another battle for as long as we live!". Tl;dr, the war was temporarily affecting Faye's mind. At the end of the day, she wants to live a peaceful life without fighting.

Ok, so is Faye actually obsessed with Alm? Yes. But how far does this obsession go? Clearly not far enough to the point where she ignores the consequences. "I thought about going after him just to teach him a lesson, but I didn't. I'd probably get killed by some foul beast out there on my own, you know?" -Faye's recruitment conversation with Celica. So despite her obsession, she's still able to think logically. Now here's another counter-argument you might have: the infamous Support Convo with Silque. The common thought is that Faye hates everybody but Alm. This is like, not true actually. In the prolouge and the beginning of Act 1, we clearly see that Faye and the rest of the Ram Villagers are good friends. Adding to that, Faye is also good friends with Celica. "Oh, Celica! You're back! Gosh, how long has it been? I've missed you so much!" -Celica's recruitment conversation with Celica. So the question is, why was Faye rude to Silque? Well, it's very possible that Faye just has a serious lack of social skills with girls. Think about it. Growing up, Faye's only friends were all guys. Sure, Celica was there but only for a short while (it was recently brought to my attention that Celica was in Ram for three years). And even though she was rude to Silque, Faye realized her mistake and apologized. On a more general note, Faye does give other members of the army compliments when they land a crit.

I know i mentioned this before, but Faye's A-Support with Alm was what really made me appreciate her. When she begins to confess, she acknowledges that it isn't the best time for it (they are on a battlefield). And despite her obsession with Alm, when he rejects her, she takes it reasonably. She doesn't get angry, she just accepts it. In fact, she likely knew from the start that she would be friendzoned. "I should've known such a thing wasn't really possible." -Faye in her A-Support with Alm. This here is basically further evidence that she genuinely loves Alm.

The things i talked about above are also a reason why i think Faye is a better character than Tharja and Camilla. Tharja stalks Robin and even went as far as to curse him with a cold just so she could take care of him

Spoiler

Tharja: I thought you might accuse me of putting a curse on you...

Avatar: I'd never assume that! What kind of monster would curse their friend...

Tharja: ...Oh. Right. That would be crazy! Heh heh.

That's the sign that she did, in fact, curse Robin.

...whereas Camilla just straight up tried to kill Corrin in both Birthright and Revelation. Meanwhile, Faye genuinely loves Alm and would never wish or inflict harm upon him. Now, i know what you're gonna say. "Tharja and Camilla at least had more to them." This is true. You know what else is true? Tharja and Camilla having 20+ Support Convos, with Camilla being story relevant. Faye only has two Support Convos and isn't story relevant. Tharja and Camilla had the advantage (is it really though) of being in games where everybody could Support with almost anybody. Really, a more fair comparison would be comparing Faye to Marisha from FE3/12. The only reason i brought up Tharja and Camilla is because Faye gets compared to them a lot from what i've seen.

Conclusion: this is basically just me explaining why I like Faye. Is this post meant to change your opinion on her? No. Is Faye a deep, complex, deconstruction character like some have claimed? No. Do i think she's getting a lot of unnecessary hate? Yes. Do you have to agree with me on that? No. Would i like it if people saw her a bit more positively now? Yes. Will that happen? Well, who knows?

Anyway, go ahead and tell me what you think of this essay i made regarding why i like Faye. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We

Spoiler

seriously

Spoiler

dont

Spoiler

need

Spoiler

another

Spoiler

topic

Spoiler

about

Spoiler

faye

Like Faye, dislike her, okay. I honestly stopped caring about her and more about other characters because she only leads to controversy and such.

Edited by KongDude

Faye is definitely not the common consensus of a yandere (Yuno Gasai, Shinon Sonozaki, Tharja), although I think most people dislike her for her limited characterisation revolving entirely around Alm. 

Most characters have this trait, especially in Awakening/Fates (Gaius with candy, Owain being a chuunibyou and Tharja being Tharja) and I dislike them all much more than Faye.

11 minutes ago, KongDude said:

We

Hide contents

seriously

Hide contents

dont

Hide contents

need

Hide contents

another

Hide contents

topic

Hide contents

about

Hide contents

faye

Like Faye, dislike her, okay. I honestly stopped caring about her and more about other characters because she only leads to controversy and such.

Controversy is not my intention here. My intention here is basically, as the title says, why i like Faye. No one has to agree with me if they don't want to.

Edited by Armagon

I'll admit that I don't hate Faye, she's not my favorite, but she's not really meh to me either.  Hell, I like Faye more than I like Tharja and many have drawn comparisons with these two.

For me, Faye redeemed herself a bit during her and Alm's A support where he rejects her feelings.  You don't often see characters that are so in love with another take rejection so nicely, so seeing her do that definitely makes her better than Tharja and Camilla (although I have a whole separate reason why I like Camilla) in that aspect.

I think what really irks me the most is her ending.  It kind of bothered by how it stated that her husband is okay with her still being in love with Alm.  And it's not the fact that she's still in love with Alm after being married that bothers me, it's more like did they really have to add that little tidbit in?  Was it necessary?  With that tidbit in, it basically just makes it seem that Faye's whole character is dependent on Alm and the only reason she exists is because of Alm.  If they had written her to be in love with him, but then learn to not love him or just not include Alm at all in her ending, I think I would've liked her more as it would seem like she coped and has moved on from being rejected.

Just now, MediocreLee said:

I think what really irks me the most is her ending.  It kind of bothered by how it stated that her husband is okay with her still being in love with Alm.  And it's not the fact that she's still in love with Alm after being married that bothers me, it's more like did they really have to add that little tidbit in?  Was it necessary?  With that tidbit in, it basically just makes it seem that Faye's whole character is dependent on Alm and the only reason she exists is because of Alm.  If they had written her to be in love with him, but then learn to not love him or just not include Alm at all in her ending, I think I would've liked her more as it would seem like she coped and has moved on from being rejected.

There is nothing wrong with Faye maintaining her feelings towards Alm and being unable to move on, some people are simply unable to do that. I think the problem was the portrayal of Faye. We don't get enough reason as to why Faye had liked Alm. She mentions in one conversation when Alm came to save them when they were getting attacked, this might've sparked her feelings towards him. She also mentions that she was with Alm all that time when Celica was away, yet we see very little to understand why she has these feelings.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Controversy is not my intention here. My intention here is basically, as the title says, why i like Faye. No one has to agree with me if they don't want to.

Even if it isn't your intention, it will result just like every other topic about her. Even if you try to defend her, people won't change because it's pretty much their choice. A lot of people now don't even care that she's yandere. A lot of people don't like her because unlike Tharja, her character is only focused on Alm. Tharja has a creepy and mysterious character, while Faye is literally just Alm-thirsty. I don't even like Tharja. I find 0% of her character appealing. But, people who do like her have the point that she has more to her character than Faye. But hey, if you like her then go ahead. It's all our choices to like/dislike/not care really.

I actually don't dislike Faye so far. She's, well, okay. She's not a terrific character, nor is she well thought out or anything, but she's just okay. Nothing about her really offends or bothers me.

I like Faye too(second favorite from SoV) but I don't think you needed to make a thread defending/explaining why you like her.

1 hour ago, KongDude said:

We

Hide contents

seriously

Hide contents

dont

Hide contents

need

Hide contents

another

Hide contents

topic

Hide contents

about

Hide contents

faye

Honestly, yeah. Like, OP, its great you like her but...ok? Like, do you honestly feel personally attacked that people dont like that character? Cuz if so, ummm....pretty sure people arent intending to say "Faye fans suck." Like, thats a dick move if someone's implying that, but no one has. Like, at all. You, OP, like the character. Yay. Fantastic. Im glad someone does. But, umm you really dont need this thread. You dont need to explain yourself in why you like her. Im pretty sure everyone who played Fates can agree that Faye is still better written than a lot of characters in that game. Cuz she is, and i doubt many will vehemently dispute that. 

But, my guy, just as you are fully entitled to enjoy that character, people are entitled to dislike her. No need to beat the dead horse. I mean, its only been a week and that dead horse is so beaten, its like a pulp. I dislike her immensly,but even im tired of this topic already. You were always well within your rights to enjoy a character that is unpopular. 

4 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Like Faye squad reporting in.

Same - she literally made me cry for about half a minute in her A-Support, speaking as someone who's been slammed like that before.

I like Faye as well, so . . . yeah.

Granted, as I stated on the shipping thread, I predominately like her because of her unrequited feelings for Alm. Plus, she has a really cute design. Other than that, she isn't as offensive as people make her out to be, though I do agree that she should have had more to her character than being the conductor of the Alm Dick Ride Express.

She barely exists outside of Alm's orbit, if at all.

The yandere vibes in her C and B are downright creepy for displaying an eagerness/desperation to please via murder that birthright Camilla didn't stoop to.

I honestly felt sorry for her in the A rank since it was like a long goodbye, and a desperate wish for something that she, Alm, and the player all knew was likely not going to happen.

I'd like it if there was more to her.

Whoa, feel like I missed some context here. I thought this was a topic derived from people not liking her in terms of gameplay. And that I could school people on how amazing Cleric!Faye is.

But man, if this is how people overanalyze one new girl, I shudder to think about the reception to a FE4 remake. The Gen 1 cast is gonna need a LOT more girls in order to match the amount of boys for pairing up. Are they all gonna be held to this strict scrutiny?

Yeah, if anything, she needed more supports (perhaps with the other Ram villagers?) to help flesh out her character more

That's one of the only real complaints I have with her, honestly. Other than that, this is just another case of different strokes for different folks, y'know?

Gotta agree with some of the folk in this thread... did we really need ANOTHER Faye topic? I mean, I've lurked on this forum up to the release of the game in Japan and beyond and there was like another Faye topic that exceeded 5 pages and topics tended to degrade into more "no guys Faye is good actually" discussions... that was not fun.

Look, you like Faye? That's cool. Is she a one note, shallow character who seriously needed more development to make her a good character? Yeah, she did, and despite not being super bad she still has concrete, unseemly traits. But don't let that stop you from liking a character. I mean, I like Robin the most of all characters from Awakening for crying out loud and he's as generic as you can get (still better than Corrin but eh), so we won't judge. Or at least, I won't.

I wish people would stop trash talking Tharja in all of these Faye threads. Yes, she's a bit morally gray and has an obsession with Robin, but there is much more to her character than just that.

I like Faye. She is cute and sweet. As the original conqueror who united the continent, Alm deserves his own harem. I do not think Faye would even mind being second to Celica.

I find her ending pretty sad though. I pity her husband and am disappointed that she makes loved ones worry. It is kind of cruel to disappear on your family without warning.

It just feels like there wasn't much thought put behind her inclusion.  If she had, say, managed to find another passion in life I'd like her!  But she doesn't.  I honestly have no idea why they added her, I guess to make Alm look good?

Well, I guess I do like her actually, but it just feels like a waste.  I wish they had done SOMETHING else with her.

Edited by Sayyyaka

I think the best compression the faye is actually Cordelia from awakening. And I thing faye is way better and way deeper character even with way less script, and I really like her as well. I don't have time to say more, but I'll just point out that faye doesn't lust for alm only in shallow sexual crush way, but actually loves him in a very deep and unconditional one IMO

Great post, @Armagon .

You made me change my mind about Faye. I used to like her mainly for her stats, and found her behaviour to be one-dimensional and a bit of a yandere, although quite acceptable. But your post made me reflect upon the causes of her demeanour and the possible consequences of her actions and... well, now I think she's just a reasonably well-written character, a countryside girl with a simple life and only one bright light: Alm. The war changed her to the point she finds acceptable to kill for Alm. Nothing extraordinary here, but that's probably due to the limited dialogue she has. All in one, this post served me to upgrade her from a 'meh' to an 'ok' kind of character.