23 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Actually, doesn't Mathilda also say she's willing to kill anyone for Clive's sake? Their relationship is considered healthier, though. I guess Mathilda does talk about other things more.

To be fair, Mathilda is considered a by and far superior soldier by that point than Clive is and is even mentioned as being some sort of war goddess.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

But that's not the point?

I was poorly, admittedly trying to point out that Mathilda by that point is a hardened soldier, with Clive, also a hardened soldier, so her swearing to kill for Clive isn't exactly far fetched. The reason why it's viewed as being weird for Faye is that she's a country bumpkin who randomly took a liking to war because Alm's fighting it.

1 minute ago, Thran Starcrod said:

I was poorly, admittedly trying to point out that Mathilda by that point is a hardened soldier, with Clive, also a hardened soldier, so her swearing to kill for Clive isn't exactly far fetched. The reason why it's viewed as being weird for Faye is that she's a country bumpkin who randomly took a liking to war because Alm's fighting it.

That's true, but I think it's still kinda the same line of thought.

59 minutes ago, Thran Starcrod said:

And Mathilda is still fighting for the Deliverance for the sake of Valentia. Faye is fighting for Alm.

1 minute ago, KongDude said:

And Mathilda is still fighting for the Deliverance for the sake of Valentia. Faye is fighting for Alm.

In Japanese, she literally says "I'll reap the heads clean off of those who oppose you!" to Clive. And Clive calls her dependable after this lol.

59 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

In Japanese, she literally says "I'll reap the heads clean off of those who oppose you!" to Clive. And Clive calls her dependable after this lol.

That doesn't change much of what I'm saying. And like I've said before, people justifying Faye is pretty much done by bringing another character to her level.

Anyways, Mathilda is known for being a war maiden. She's known for being a hardened knight. Saying something like this shouldn't come as a shock, especially for Clive. He even told her to do so. "Now go forth and tear the enemy apart like the beautiful war maiden you are." Her telling Clive she'll "cut down every lout" isn't just because "Clive dick riding". It's because it's her character.

Faye is known for her affection for Alm. Cutting down enemies is only for Alm. Her whole purpose in joining the Deliverance was for Alm. If Faye said something like that and she was some skilled knight, it wouldn't come off as anything surprising.

Just now, KongDude said:

That doesn't change much of what I'm saying. And like I've said before, people justifying Faye is pretty much done by bringing another character to her level.

Anyways, Mathilda is known for being a war maiden. She's known for being a hardened knight. Saying something like this shouldn't come as a shock, especially for Clive. He even told her to do so. "Now go forth and tear the enemy apart like the beautiful war maiden you are." Her telling Clive she'll "cut down every lout" isn't just because "Clive dick riding". It's because it's her character.

Faye is known for her affection for Alm. Cutting down enemies is only for Alm. Her whole purpose in joining the Deliverance was for Alm. If Faye said something like that and she was some skilled knight, it wouldn't come off as anything surprising.

I'm bringing Mathilda down to Faye's level, but not to justify Faye.

At least from my view, being a skilled knight or whatever isn't the point. I was kinda creeped out by Mathilda saying that, and then Clive encouraging her.

I'm bringing Mathilda down to Faye's level, but not to justify Faye.

At least from my view, being a skilled knight or whatever isn't the point. I was kinda creeped out by Mathilda saying that, and then Clive encouraging her.

Because CLIVE LIKES IT. He fell in love with a war maiden so war maiden is what he gets. It was stated by Clive himself, iirc, that Mathilda started the Deliverance. If it creeps you out then that's you I guess.

But for me, if Faye says "I'll kill everyone for you", it's weird because she just assumes that it's what he wants. If Mathilda says "I'll kill everyone for you," it isn't weird because Clive wants it and she's a WAR MAIDEN.

And people need to stop comparing Alm and Faye to actual couples in the game as if they're alike. They aren't. Faye's lovey-dovey is one sided while Mathilda and Tatiana's is from both sides. They even manage to do it less than Faye.

Just now, KongDude said:

Because CLIVE LIKES IT. He fell in love with a war maiden so war maiden is what he gets. It was stated by Clive himself, iirc, that Mathilda started the Deliverance. If it creeps you out then that's you I guess.

But for me, if Faye says "I'll kill everyone for you", it's weird because she just assumes that it's what he wants. If Mathilda says "I'll kill everyone for you," it isn't weird because Clive wants it and she's a WAR MAIDEN.

And people need to stop comparing Alm and Faye to actual couples in the game as if they're alike. They aren't. Faye's lovey-dovey is one sided while Mathilda and Tatiana's is from both sides. They even manage to do it less than Faye.

I honestly don't see how being a War Maiden suddenly makes wanting to kill less weird. The number of people you've killed doesn't change the fact that you kill.

I'm not trying to defend Faye by bringing up Mathilda at all. I was sort of going off on a tangent with my observation.

1 hour ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I honestly don't see how being a War Maiden suddenly makes wanting to kill less weird. The number of people you've killed doesn't change the fact that you kill.

I'm not trying to defend Faye by bringing up Mathilda at all. I was sort of going off on a tangent with my observation.

It's because you're only seeing it as killing. Mathilda fights for the Deliverance, a group that intends to make changes for the better. She says and does what she wants because Clive wants to hear it AND the people of Zofia need her to. Faye fights for Alm, someone she is very infatuated with. She says and does what she wants because she thinks Alm wants to hear it and nothing else.

I never said anything about kill counts either.

1 hour ago, Roflolxp54 said:

Faye being yandere is more of a community joke or meme than anything else.

Hide contents

zwYmKpq.jpg

KmPoNip.jpg

It's really just a meme that she's just a yandere. Most just dislike her because her character is only about Alm, which is a very good reason to dislike her.

Edited by KongDude

2 minutes ago, KongDude said:

It's because you're only seeing it as killing. Mathilda fights for the Deliverance, a group that intends to make changes for the better. She says and does what she wants because Clive wants to hear it AND the people of Zofia need her to. Faye fights for Alm, someone she is very infatuated with. She says and does what she wants because she thinks Alm wants to hear it and nothing else.

I never said anything about kill counts either.

Honestly, if you read their supports, the "fighting for the Deliverance" thing never really comes into play. They just swoon over each other. I don't think Mathilda was thinking much about the citizens of Zofia when she said what I quoted, if you ask me.

Well, being a war maiden means you've killed a lot of people, most likely.

Honestly, if you read their supports, the "fighting for the Deliverance" thing never really comes into play. They just swoon over each other. I don't think Mathilda was thinking much about the citizens of Zofia when she said what I quoted, if you ask me.

Well, being a war maiden means you've killed a lot of people, most likely.

No it does not come into play in their supports. But, she literally created the Deliverance, stated by Clive in one his base convos, I believe. You don't build a militia because you're in love. I never said War Maiden's don't have a kill count and I still haven't. I just never brought it in because as you said, "The number of people you've killed doesn't change the fact that you kill." But the nature of a War Maiden and Village Bumpkin's are two very different things, as different as Mathilda's and Faye's reason to fight.

In the most non-sarcastic way, I just want to say that I love SF because I can talk about these kinds of things. Nobody I really know would understand what I'm talking about. lol

3 minutes ago, KongDude said:

No it does not come into play in their supports. But, she literally created the Deliverance, stated by Clive in one his base convos, I believe. You don't build a militia because you're in love. I never said War Maiden's don't have a kill count and I still haven't. I just never brought it in because as you said, "The number of people you've killed doesn't change the fact that you kill." But the nature of a War Maiden and Village Bumpkin's are two very different things, as different as Mathilda's and Faye's reason to fight.

In the most non-sarcastic way, I just want to say that I love SF because I can talk about these kinds of things. Nobody I really know would understand what I'm talking about. lol

The kill count thing was just another way to say that Mathilda has fought before while Faye hasn't, because I didn't want to say War Maiden twice in the same paragraph. It wasn't meant to go anywhere.

I definitely don't question Mathilda's motivations for saving Zofia. But I'm saying, during that conversation, it wasn't on her mind.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

The kill count thing was just another way to say that Mathilda has fought before while Faye hasn't, because I didn't want to say War Maiden twice in the same paragraph. It wasn't meant to go anywhere.

But it still applies to the logic you're bringing, which can also be interpreted as "Faye and Mathilda are related to deadly serial killers because they intend to kill" if you really wanted to.

I have no idea where this is going anymore lol

9 minutes ago, KongDude said:

But it still applies to the logic you're bringing, which can also be interpreted as "Faye and Mathilda are related to deadly serial killers because they intend to kill" if you really wanted to.

I have no idea where this is going anymore lol

Well, we'd go all the way and discuss how war is meaningless and what it means to kill, and then we'd both get warnings for hijacking the thread. So I'll just say, that's not what I mean, but let's leave it at there.

Well, we'd go all the way and discuss how war is meaningless and what it means to kill, and then we'd both get warnings for hijacking the thread. So I'll just say, that's not what I mean, but let's leave it at there.

Alright I'm fine with that. It was fun talking about this though.

9 hours ago, Captain Karnage said:

just going to point out that Faye doesn't get any support bonouses from Celica while all the other villagers do.

just sayin.

On the flip side, Celica gets Support bonuses from Faye.

Oh yeah, Faye gives and gets Support bonuses from Mycen btw. So she can get Support bonuses from someone other than Alm.

9 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Sadly, it seems to be her only trait.  I don't hate her, but her constant Alm fawning gets a bit annoying.  Even Camilla had the occasional support where she didn't talk about Corrin.

Ironically, my Faye has been really RNG blessed and is one of my best units.

Yeah, Camilla did have some Supports where she didn't talk about Corrin. I actually liked the Niles/Camilla Supports, since Camilla talked about why she obssesed over Corrin. Although when you consider the fact that Camilla tried to kill Corrin and cradle his/her coprse in her arms, it makes it even more unsettling.

Faye would never wish or inflict harm on Alm, so to me, she's already better than Camilla (and Tharja).

One way Faye is somewhat redeemed for me, is i had her as a Falcon Knight, but used my Pitchfork on her and made her a cleric/Saint. She stomps in that class far better, and thats sweetass shit. 

Sadly, there was a late game base convo where Faye talks about writing her family, and yet its just goes right back to Alm. One of the most disappointing things ever cuz it starts out hella promising. She begins about how she finally got a letter back and how her family said she talks about Alm so much in it, and they wanted to know her real reasons for fighting. Im like bouncing up and down thinking we're gonna see a little more to her. Im expecting her to say her reasons for fighting is because she saw that it was the right thing to do to ensure a future for Ram village. 

N o p e. 

She replies saying she was stating her reasons for fighting by just discussing Alm. Yeah. Hes the ONLY reason she's still there. Not wanting a future for her homeland, not believing in any ideals the Deliverence may have shown her, no ideals, nothing. Just. Alm. Especially since everyone else has some actual idealistic reason for fighting. Not Faye... she doesnt even say that Alm showed her that saving Zofia was worth fighting for. Just. Him. gods what a disappointment. 

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

Not everyone has to have some grand reason to fight. Not everyone cares about a better future for everyone. Anyway, it would be pretty out of character for Faye to have developed an idealistic reason for fighting when the only reason she left Ram village was to be closer to Alm and to hopefully make new memories with him. Some people don't have hopes or dreams beyond a specific fixation. That's just how it is, and I'm glad Faye's ending follows that to its natural conclusion because plenty of people like that do exist.

Edited by Conqueror

3 hours ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

She replies saying she was stating her reasons for fighting by just discussing Alm. Yeah. Hes the ONLY reason she's still there. Not wanting a future for her homeland, not believing in any ideals the Deliverence may have shown her, no ideals, nothing. Just. Alm. Especially since everyone else has some actual idealistic reason for fighting. Not Faye... she doesnt even say that Alm showed her that saving Zofia was worth fighting for. Just. Him. gods what a disappointment. 

You got it a bit wrong there. When she got the letter back from her family, she said the letter said that her parents wanted to hear more about HER, not Alm. Faye defends herself by saying that she writes about Alm because he matters to him. She never said anything about stating her reasons for fighting. Also

Spoiler

Faye's final battle quote has her talking about how there's room in the future for everyone......except Duma and Jedah. So yeah, it's clear that she cares about fighting for the whole of Valentia.

2 hours ago, Conqueror said:

Not everyone has to have some grand reason to fight. Not everyone cares about a better future for everyone. Anyway, it would be pretty out of character for Faye to have developed an idealistic reason for fighting when the only reason she left Ram village was to be closer to Alm and to hopefully make new memories with him. Some people don't have hopes or dreams beyond a specific fixation. That's just how it is, and I'm glad Faye's ending follows that to its natural conclusion because plenty of people like that do exist.

Yeah, this is a good point as well. I can't think of too many characters who do this but the one who comes to mind is Colm, since he joined mainly to keep Neimi safe. Obviously he cares for the well being of Renais but protecting Neimi is likely his top priority.

Yes, i know Colm has much more to him.

Edit: Lukas even says "not everyone who joins has to fight for a noble cause." So yeah, Faye joining just to stay close to Alm is perfectly reasonable.

Second edit: Here's a fun piece of trivia from the Wiki: "Faye is a feminine given name derived from Middle English faie meaning "fairy", or possibly from the Old French word meaning loyalty or belief."  Makes perfect sense.

Edited by Armagon

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

You got it a bit wrong there. When she got the letter back from her family, she said the letter said that her parents wanted to hear more about HER, not Alm. Faye defends herself by saying that she writes about Alm because he matters to him. She never said anything about stating her reasons for fighting. Also

Hide contents

Faye's final battle quote has her talking about how there's room in the future for everyone......except Duma and Jedah. So yeah, it's clear that she cares about fighting for the whole of Valentia.

Yeah, this is a good point as well. I can't think of too many characters who do this but the one who comes to mind is Colm, since he joined mainly to keep Neimi safe. Obviously he cares for the well being of Renais but protecting Neimi is likely his top priority.

Yes, i know Colm has much more to him.

Edit: Lukas even says "not everyone who joins has to fight for a noble cause." So yeah, Faye joining just to stay close to Alm is perfectly reasonable.

Second edit: Here's a fun piece of trivia from the Wiki: "Faye is a feminine given name derived from Middle English faie meaning "fairy", or possibly from the Old French word meaning loyalty or belief."  Makes perfect sense.

"Oh! Is THAT what you want? ...Because I'll do it. I'll fight for any cause you desire! Just promise you'll be watching, Alm! Promise to look at me!" -Faye C Support

She's fighting for Alm. She might not say that in her letters to her family, but she definitely says she fighting for that reason.

"This world belongs to Alm. To all of us. There's plenty of room for hope in it... but there's no room in it for you!" -Faye Final Quote

You forgot to say she still mentions Alm. Yes she mentions everyone else, but Alm is clearly a highlight.

Like you said, Colm has much more to him. Many characters have much more to them then Faye. That is why people don't like her. She failed to bring a single character trait that is somewhat special to her, or any personality that isn't revolving around another character.

We aren't looking at Faye as a soldier, but as a character. Okay, Faye doesn't need to have a grand reason to fight and whatever, that's fine. But it's a problem for some of us because it's still related to Alm. Almost everything she says and does includes Alm. I'm sure many of wouldn't care that Faye's fighting just to stay close, if she had a personality that didn't have to include Alm. Leon says he began fighting in the army because there was a guy he liked. Do we have a problem with that? No. Because he isn't just "VALBARVALBARVALBAR". He has an attraction to Valbar and makes it noticable, but he doesn't shove it down our throats like Faye. He's a pretty boy who cares much for himself. He could easily be this without Valbar.

Edited by KongDude

I'd just like to point out that Faye's obsession over Alm is the only support in the series (note: there have been 12 FE games with supports so far) to hit someone with a nerf. (Faye gets avoid -15. My headcanon is that she's too busy looking at Alm to see the enemy coming.) Sure, it's still a net gain, but it's quite neat to see that the developers paid attention to this support, even in gameplay.

Talk about an 'unhealthy' obsession...