What is the purpose of the Shadow Axe?

The Shadow Sword is usable and not terrible. It's really strong, but very risky. Brave Swords are definitely better, so forging it into one is good.

The Shadow Axe, at that point, can't be used for anything. Just trade it in at a smithy.

Edited by Emerson

FYI, there is a splitting axe on the first explorable screen (in front of mycen's house) that it sounds like you missed. And yes, the game trolls you by making the first weapon you get be a weapon that no one can equip. just sell it for 10 silver marks.

What I don't understand is that the devs actualy implemented a rusty axe that can be upgraded into a shadow axe for 100 silver marks, even though the the only point of the player having the shadow axe is to sell for 50 silver marks. Why?

18 minutes ago, KongDude said:

I saw in a DLC video, I think from Linkmstr, that Brigands can wield it. I have no idea what its for otherwise and would like to know to.

But yeah, you can actualy find pirates with the shadow axe equiped in the postgame dungeon.

7 minutes ago, sirmola said:

FYI, there is a splitting axe on the first explorable screen (in front of mycen's house) that it sounds like you missed. And yes, the game trolls you by making the first weapon you get be a weapon that no one can equip. just sell it for 10 silver marks.

They said they gave the Splitting Axe to the woodcutter.

Fun fact: I missed the Splitting Axe.

32 minutes ago, Emerson said:

They said they gave the Splitting Axe to the woodcutter.

Fun fact: I missed the Splitting Axe.

The game actualy has two splitting axes, the one in celeca's route that most people are likely to give to the woodcutter, and the one I mentioned. The OP was talking as if there was only one, which is how i knew that he missed one (i missed that one on my first playthrough too).

Edited by sirmola

Just now, sirmola said:

The game actualy has two splitting axes, the one in celeca's route that most people are likely to give to the woodcutter, and the one I mentioned. The OP was talking as if there was only one, which is how i knew that he missed one.

Wait, where's the one on Celica's path?

1 minute ago, Emerson said:

Wait, where's the one on Celica's path?

It's in the deserrt stronghold iirc (might be grieth's citadel, don't remember for sure)

You can also turn the Shadow Sword into an Ilwoon, which is somewhat like a Brave Sword with twice the might but diminished everything else, for 50 silver marks and two gold marks (you promote it one level, and then it's available to you).  It has lower hit and more weight, and doesn't have as high a crit chance (and some different skills, but eh), so just making it a Brave Sword is really the only reasonable option.  Selling the Shadow Sword is an absolute rip-off, and I think weapons that have a chance of damaging you are total garbage based on that fact alone, so I wouldn't use it in combat either.

Any axes you get are only good for sub-quests... and I'm fairly confident there's only one sub-quest related to fetching axes, and you can just give him a nice, cheap axe while selling off your shadow axe for some decent money.

11 minutes ago, sirmola said:

It's in the deserrt stronghold iirc (might be grieth's citadel, don't remember for sure)

One has the Devil Axe so I'd assume the other has the Splitting Axe.

12 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

You can also turn the Shadow Sword into an Ilwoon, which is somewhat like a Brave Sword with twice the might but diminished everything else, for 50 silver marks and two gold marks (you promote it one level, and then it's available to you).  It has lower hit and more weight, and doesn't have as high a crit chance (and some different skills, but eh), so just making it a Brave Sword is really the only reasonable option.  Selling the Shadow Sword is an absolute rip-off, and I think weapons that have a chance of damaging you are total garbage based on that fact alone, so I wouldn't use it in combat either.

Any axes you get are only good for sub-quests... and I'm fairly confident there's only one sub-quest related to fetching axes, and you can just give him a nice, cheap axe while selling off your shadow axe for some decent money.

I used an ilwoon, its pretty good. It's also only one gold mark to upgrade (plus you have to spend 50 silver marks to upgrade the shadow sword one level before the ilwoon becomes avalible). You can also upgrade the shadow sword into a rapier (via a brave sword). this alsocosts a total of 50 silver marks (to upgrade to a brave sword) and one gold mark (to upgrade to a rapier). I have not tried that, but it is the only way to get effectiveness against armored units without rellying onarts

Edited by sirmola

2 minutes ago, sirmola said:

I used an ilwoon, its pretty good. It's also only one gold mark to upgrade (plus you have to spend 50 silver marks to upgrade the shadow sword one level before the ilwoon becomes avalible). You can also upgrade the shadow sword into a rapier (via a brave sword). this costs a total of 100 silver warks (to upgrade to a brave sword) and one gold mark (to upgrade to a rapier). I have not tried that, but it is the only way to get effectiveness against armored units without rellying onarts

Rapier is only 3 might at base, and I believe 6 when fully upgraded. It's not terrible, but I'd say Mages and Armorbreaker do the job better.

That said, it's Arts are quite good.

Edited by Emerson

Just now, Emerson said:

Rapier is only 3 might at base, and I believe 6 when fully upgraded. It's not terrible, but I'd say Mages and Armorbreaker do the job better.

That said, it's Arts are quite good.

Note that I edited my post just before you posted. upgrading to a brave sword costs 50 silver marks, not 100.

1 minute ago, sirmola said:

Note that I edited my post just before you posted. upgrading to a brave sword costs 50 silver marks, not 100.

Hmm? I was just saying that the Rapier is not really worth it for it's Armorslaying/Cavalierslaying potential, although it has nice Arts.

Edited by Emerson

To finish the earlier question about where Celica's Route's Splitting Axe is, it should be in the War Room of Grieth's Stronghold, while the Shadow Axe should be in the first room of the same building assuming I'm remembering this right.

15 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

To finish the earlier question about where Celica's Route's Splitting Axe is, it should be in the War Room of Grieth's Stronghold, while the Shadow Axe should be in the first room of the same building assuming I'm remembering this right.

They really put them in the same building?

Ugh, that's kinda dumb. "Oh look, a secret Axe! Thats cool, I guess I found all the secret stuff now." Nope.

definitely not salty that i missed every one of them and only went back for the devil axe because i remembered it existed

Edited by Emerson

Yeah, it happens. No idea how I missed Alm's, I swear I went all over that first place pressing A on anything that moved and half the stuff that didn't at the start and still somehow didn't pick it up. Here's my question, though: Anyone tried giving the Shadow Axe to the Woodcutter to see if it would work?

On 5/26/2017 at 2:05 PM, SoulWeaver said:

Yeah, it happens. No idea how I missed Alm's, I swear I went all over that first place pressing A on anything that moved and half the stuff that didn't at the start and still somehow didn't pick it up. Here's my question, though: Anyone tried giving the Shadow Axe to the Woodcutter to see if it would work?

It works.  You can give it to him.

But considering you can meet the Woodcutter later, I figured that giving him the Devil Axe would get a different outcome. That instead of crafting a Duma Carving, he might end up hurting himself or something like that. Using a cursed axe to chop trees can't be a good idea.

Edited by BrightBow

The purpose of the Devil Axe is 50 silver marks.
Besides that, its other purpose is to piss you off when those Level 8453103156 brigands use it and get >30 attack with it.

But aside from that there is not much you can do with it. You COULD give it to the woodcutter if you don't have any other axe but using one of the 2 splitting axes for that would be the better idea because they yield less when you sell them.

The shadow sword can be converted into Ilwoon a Brave Sword which is nice.

Edited by Caedes