(spoiler discussion) What do you think of the story?

I loved the story, mainly due to the voice acting adding so much immersion. Previously, I always saw voice acting as a superfluous addition and never understood why so many people begged for its presence in other games like The Legend of Zelda, but after playing this game, I finally do see major benefits it has.

I think the overall plot had a lot of really high points, like Zeke's entire squadron going against Jerome after you save Tatiana and Celica being coronated queen. Other moments like Clive handing over the the leadership of the Deliverance to Alm immediately after meeting him are presented in a manner where it does make some sense (Lukas and Clive are still overseeing a majority of the Deliverance activities, but Alm serves as a figurehead for the army initially). I do feel that the story had some dumb moments like Celica's pendant somehow repelling Duma's curse, but overall, a majority of the plot was solid.

For characters, I liked pretty much all of them, but I am disappointed by the lack of support conversations, since a lot of characters like Silque, Faye, Jenny. Jesse, and Atlas end up feeling underdeveloped. I understand the reason for this, namely the stacked bonuses from supports being able to completely break these characters, but it still ends up being disappointing. 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Wayward Alchemist said:

Three words: Morale-boosting figurehead. That's pretty much all Clive intended Alm to be, and honestly I feel like Clive is still making the decisions until well into Act 3, or maybe even until the beginning of Act 4. Until this point, Clive and Lukas are basically Alm's training wheels and Alm is just there to serve as an icon, but then Clive begins to see Alm as more than just a fighter and a good morale booster when Alm gives his speech about rescuing Delthea regardless of her individual usefulness.

Additionally, Clive states in one of his base conversations that he couldn't issue the order to march on Zofia Castle because he was too afraid of what would happen to his authority and his cause (and Mathilda) should he fail. He needed somebody to issue the order in his stead so that the blame wouldn't lie with him if they didn't take the castle back. It was honestly selfish of him, but very well played nonetheless.

Well, I can't speak in general but my morale would take nosedive if I was said. "Hey from now you will listen greenhorn teenager because  his grandfather was great guy" at least. 

That said so far (didn't finished yet), I am more or less fine with Alm himself, but whole this silly starcrossed romance and whole  Celica character pretty much ruin my enjoyment of game a lot.

I really enjoyed the story and dialogue some of it reminded me of tropes or aspects to a classic fairy tale kind of thing. Currently I'm replaying it already. Is the story perfect? No. What game does? Moving on now, in general the dialogue is well written not to mention superbly voiced. Any problems we might have with the story stem primarly from  How Gaiden's events played out in the original. Bottom line I had a blast playing this game immensely enjoyed everything about it and will replay it a lot, everything about this game is infinitely superior to the past few titles.

On 5/26/2017 at 5:26 AM, Res said:

I can buy Celica not learning her lesson and being eager to martyr herself in dramatic fashion since she's a teen. She's also not had much training as future queen.

Now, believing the obviously-evil guy... she's at fault there. ;)

It's also possible there were more people who witnessed Alm picking up the sword for the first time, or we might assume people gossiped about it.

Thats more of a fault of design than story to be honest. They should of made Jedah look more normal and charismatic, not Cobra Commander levels of obviously evil.

I think the story was good. Was it absolutely amazing and worthy of praise like Lord of the Rings? Nope. But I wasnt looking for that either, it also wasnt absolute dogshit painted over with gold and diamond inlays to make it look appealing like Fates tried (still a better love story than Twilight. Hah! two dead horses beaten at once.)

It has a few issues, I think the empire fell way too easily. There is no way Alm could of fought the empire like he did and won that easily. Zofia's military is terrible when compared to Rigel. They literally say this in the beginning of the game, yet the Deliverance conquers Rigel in what seems to be a few months. Of course that flaw has a lot to do with Gaiden originally being pretty short. In order to more acurately reflect this the game would of needed around 5 more acts. And that would lead to the issue of what the hell does Celica do that entire time? Zofia was also hurting on supplies on top of it. They were in the middle of a drought and people are starving. How are they feeding an army large enough to challenge Rigel? Some of this could probably be explained that Emperor Rudolf was pulling his punches on purpose, which makes a lot of sense, but it still doesnt explain enough imo.

I didnt have many issues with Celica's side of the story. I thought a lot of it made sense. Celica is naive on purpose, and they dont act like nothings wrong with it like Fates did. Saber and Mae both call her out on it, and Conrad has to reveal himself just to try and get her to listen to him on how its a bad idea. So she gets called on her shit. Again the issue with Jedah and her listening to him is more of an issue with his appearance. They should of made him more charismatic and normal looking. They could of still made him monstrous if they wanted but charismatic enough to convince someone. Many demons in lore are charismatic, and Vampires seduce and trick people all the time in stories. It wasnt hard to do, but its mostly a minor complaint.

I didnt like the endings for the most part. A lot of them were generic and some didnt fit the character at all.

Spoiler

Conrad putting down the lance and taking up writing was a pretty big WTF from me. Dont know where that came from. I had a small issue with Alm asking Valbar to become part of the knights too. He barely knows the guy, Celica would of made more sense for that. Kliff's came out of no where, and was practically pointless. He goes away, and then comes back. Why? Where does he go? Where the hell is his wife he clearly banged and had a kid with? Same with Luthier. Where? Why?

Est, Palla, and Catria were all the same, understandably but they could of at least fleshed out that ending a bit. Did they just get up and leave? Did they stay for a bit? I mean they were just heroes that saved Valentia. They act like it was just a simple road trip and off they go. "Your Welcome for us helping in slaying the crazy dragon that was going to kill everyone, where just going to go fly across the ocean now. Might take some of those cookies for the road. Bye!"

Sonya's was a bit f'ed up too. I am all for tragic endings and all, but there is a point where it serves no purpose and isnt needed, like in Sonya's case. And without Duma's power being around, how does she turn into a Witch? Duma is dead, how does that work?

Edited by Tolvir

21 minutes ago, Tolvir said:
  Hide contents

Conrad putting down the lance and taking up writing was a pretty big WTF from me. Dont know where that came from. I had a small issue with Alm asking Valbar to become part of the knights too. He barely knows the guy, Celica would of made more sense for that. Kliff's came out of no where, and was practically pointless. He goes away, and then comes back. Why? Where does he go? Where the hell is his wife he clearly banged and had a kid with? Same with Luthier. Where? Why?

Est, Palla, and Catria were all the same, understandably but they could of at least fleshed out that ending a bit. Did they just get up and leave? Did they stay for a bit? I mean they were just heroes that saved Valentia. They act like it was just a simple road trip and off they go. "Your Welcome for us helping in slaying the crazy dragon that was going to kill everyone, where just going to go fly across the ocean now. Might take some of those cookies for the road. Bye!"

Sonya's was a bit f'ed up too. I am all for tragic endings and all, but there is a point where it serves no purpose and isnt needed, like in Sonya's case. And without Duma's power being around, how does she turn into a Witch? Duma is dead, how does that work?

Spoiler

Conrad's actually makes perfect sense to me! He comes across as a very gentle soul in the game, and it's easy enough to infer from his demeanor and a few of his lines that he really only took up the lance in order to watch over his sister.

Sonya's was awful, though, I agree.

5 hours ago, Tenzen12 said:

Well, I can't speak in general but my morale would take nosedive if I was said. "Hey from now you will listen greenhorn teenager because  his grandfather was great guy" at least. 

Alm isn't even a greenhorn - by this point alone, the kid has reclaimed the Southern Outpost, rescued Clair (who is clearly pretty big shit in the Deliverance), cleaned out the Thief Shrine, and curbstomped several squadrons of Desaix's own soldiers.

1 minute ago, Tenzen12 said:

I (as common soldier) didn't see any of that. It was probably all Lukas work anyway.

Rumors spread quick, and if Clive wanted this kid to lead he'd obviously affirm and spread them around as much as possible. If anything, the common soldier would hear even grander tails about what Alm managed to do.

Of all the endings, I find Delthea's to be the weirdest (barring maybe Sonya's due to inconsistencies), especially in how it was written.

"She sealed off her magic and lived a wild ordinary life until she found a husband, and then she often returned to her village to tell stories about her super dull brother everyone there already knows".

What the hell? I get that she doesn't want to be a mage, but does she have to permanently seal off her powers? Didn't she like being helpful to people at the very least? However, even that point - which should've been explained better but you can at least somehow justify it - pales in comparison to what's written next. Like, she often returned to her village where she lived with her brother...to tell everyone stories about her brother? He was from that village too! Also, Luthier is meant to be a socially awkward snooze fest in the game; barring their war stories - which do not relate specifically to Luthier - I don't understand what kinds of stories she'd have to tell. Do they mean she kept everyone back home updated on how he was doing? But that would sort of go against Luthier's ending where he left Valentia.

Edited by Thane

@Wayward Alchemist

Assuming average soldier of Deliverance is trusting idiot, it could indeed work, but as far as I am concerned it's best time leave sinking ship. Sayonara and good luck.

And once one man leaves how many other people do you think would also get second thoughts?

Edited by Tenzen12

1 hour ago, Res said:
  Hide contents

Conrad's actually makes perfect sense to me! He comes across as a very gentle soul in the game, and it's easy enough to infer from his demeanor and a few of his lines that he really only took up the lance in order to watch over his sister.

Sonya's was awful, though, I agree.

Spoiler

It was less that it didnt make sense for his character, and more that it came out of no where for me. There was no hint or concept of him being a writer of any kind. He was a fighter. I think that is where the game could of benifited from more supports because while Fates/Awakening was annoying for having so many of them, they did establish various things for characters, like Peri's love of cooking or Takumi's more gentle side. While SoV did a great job with its characters, it was missing that element, which ultimately messes with their endings imo. They all cant be fighters forever, but if we never learn what their true passions and hobbies are these endings make no sense.

Another x-ray vision moment I forgot about.

Once Celica and Co take the desert stronghold (the one full of Grieth's fking archers), a brigand reports to Grieth about whodunnit.

He, or someone else somehow made out the mark on Celica's right hand, beneath her gloves, in the middle of the battle.

I think they could have just left that out. Grieth didn't need more inspiration for taking on Celica  outside of the fact she's attacking his fortress already, and the game could do with one less x-ray vision moment.

The only explanation to this phenomenon I can think of is it's kind of like the Triforce in the Zelda franchise where even though characters are wearing gloves characters still know that Link, Zelda and Garon have a piece of the triforce. Where even though Alm and Celica are wearing gloves it doesn't conceal their marks.

On 5/30/2017 at 1:30 AM, Jotari said:

Also no personal combat conversations T.T Why IS, why?

There is one at least with Sonia. If she enters combat with Judah (the first time you encounter him when he's nearly impossible to kill, not on the final map) there is a battle convo where it basically explains Sonia's backstory. Somehow there are less battle convos in this game than in Fates. And Fates only has them for the worst MC of all time. *sigh* Maybe one day battle convos will be regularly in the games again...

On 5/30/2017 at 1:45 PM, Tolvir said:

Kliff's came out of no where, and was practically pointless. He goes away, and then comes back. Why? Where does he go?

Sorry to double post, but as it implies and is shown in a manga of FE3, iirc, Kliff went to Archanea and hanged out in that magic city in the desert. In fact, he meets Merric. Whether you see that as canon or not is another thing, but it would make sense. 

Edited by familyplayer

Am I the only one who really didn't like the story? I know it's a very old game, but they could have try to explain it better. Most of the bosses we fight don't even have any background, same goes for our characters because of their lack of supports.

1 hour ago, familyplayer said:

There is one at least with Sonia. If she enters combat with Judah (the first time you encounter him when he's nearly impossible to kill, not on the final map) there is a battle convo where it basically explains Sonia's backstory. Somehow there are less battle convos in this game than in Fates. And Fates only has them for the worst MC of all time. *sigh* Maybe one day battle convos will be regularly in the games again...

Yeah I actually saw that on youtube. He isn't nearly as impossible to kill as you might expect. One or two Tigerstances should do it.

Edited by Jotari

I liked the story. Yeah, it had its issues, but it still kept me interested. I really liked the gameplay too, though, so my opinions might be a little off track of what everyone else thinks.

In my opinion, 7, 9, 8, and 10 all have better stories. However, the excellent writing and voice acting in this one made the story feel a lot realer to me.

7 hours ago, familyplayer said:

Sorry to double post, but as it implies and is shown in a manga of FE3, iirc, Kliff went to Archanea and hanged out in that magic city in the desert. In fact, he meets Merric. Whether you see that as canon or not is another thing, but it would make sense. 

Interesting, but it still doesnt exactly explain why which is my issue. Of all the characters, he was one of the ones that wasnt all that into the idea of leaving. Not that he was against the idea of leaving Ram Vilalge, but I dont see him just up and leaving he continent all of his friends are on being in character. So why would he leave Valentia as a whole?  And the fact that he just comes back with a kid later, but no wife is even more odd. Where did the kid come from? Where is his wife? Why Archanea? So many issues with his ending. It really didnt wrap up the character too well. These ending are meant to have a bit of closure to them, not create even more questions that will never be explained or explored. Its my same issue with Ike's ending in RD. The fact that he just ups and leaves makes no sense in character, and only opens up a question that will never be explained later.

2 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

Interesting, but it still doesnt exactly explain why which is my issue. Of all the characters, he was one of the ones that wasnt all that into the idea of leaving. Not that he was against the idea of leaving Ram Vilalge, but I dont see him just up and leaving he continent all of his friends are on being in character. So why would he leave Valentia as a whole?  And the fact that he just comes back with a kid later, but no wife is even more odd. Where did the kid come from? Where is his wife? Why Archanea? So many issues with his ending. It really didnt wrap up the character too well. These ending are meant to have a bit of closure to them, not create even more questions that will never be explained or explored. Its my same issue with Ike's ending in RD. The fact that he just ups and leaves makes no sense in character, and only opens up a question that will never be explained later.

I completely forgot about FE10's weird Ike ending. I laugh now looking at it again. Then again, RD just has a lot of issues of characters *cough* supports *cough* already.

5 minutes ago, familyplayer said:

I completely forgot about FE10's weird Ike ending. I laugh now looking at it again. Then again, RD just has a lot of issues of characters *cough* supports *cough* already.

Definitely. Its why I wouldnt mind a bit of a remake for FE9&10. They had the makings of a really strong cast, but ultimately failed it due to so many characters being left in the dust in terms of depth and personality. Not a full remake though, just an HD rerelease with added features like FF12 The Zodiac Age is.

Edited by Tolvir

11 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

Interesting, but it still doesnt exactly explain why which is my issue. Of all the characters, he was one of the ones that wasnt all that into the idea of leaving. Not that he was against the idea of leaving Ram Vilalge, but I dont see him just up and leaving he continent all of his friends are on being in character. So why would he leave Valentia as a whole?  And the fact that he just comes back with a kid later, but no wife is even more odd. Where did the kid come from? Where is his wife? Why Archanea?

Are you still talking about Kliff? Here's his ending in full:

"With the war over, Kliff bid Alm farewell and vanished—with some speculating that he left for a new continent. Decades later, a young man claiming to be Kliff's son arrived in Valentia to serve the king. The boy was said to have a tremendous gift for magic."

It says nothing about Kliff going to Archanea, and it says nothing about him returning to Valentia, only his son does that. Also, I really dislike the "he just disappeared" eplogues if they're poorly implemented, like with Ike, but Kliff is anti-social and wants to see the world. If there's anyone who'd leave and travel somewhere, it's him.

11 minutes ago, Thane said:

"With the war over, Kliff bid Alm farewell and vanished—with some speculating that he left for a new continent. Decades later, a young man claiming to be Kliff's son arrived in Valentia to serve the king. The boy was said to have a tremendous gift for magic."

It says nothing about Kliff going to Archanea, and it says nothing about him returning to Valentia, only his son does that. Also, I really dislike the "he just disappeared" eplogues if they're poorly implemented, like with Ike, but Kliff is anti-social and wants to see the world. If there's anyone who'd leave and travel somewhere, it's him.

Ah shat. I got Luthier and Kliff mixed up. Luthier is the one who appears in the FE3 manga and whatnot. He went to Archanea and met Merric in that manga. Whoops. As for Kliff, I have no idea where he could have gone. Maybe he also went to Archanea or something? Who really knows? Another character who disappears to parts unknown in an FE game is not too new sadly...

Edited by familyplayer

26 minutes ago, Thane said:

Hmm, I seriously thought it said he came back. Glad to know I was wrong then, probably should of double checked instead of spouting off based on recent memory.

I got the Archanea stuff from what familyplayer said, he was in a FE3 Manga in one of the cities in Archanea. I dont exactly hold it as canon, but Archanea is the only place he could logically go, since outside of that there really isnt any confirmed other continents around there. Just fan theories and speculation.

Regardless though, its one of the ending I hate the most. Like Ike's it just ends up creating more questions than it does any true ending to a story, which shouldnt be the case. We are never going to revisit these characters, Alm and Celica's story is over, there is no real reason to return. And I highly doubt a FE3 remake for the second time is likely. So there is really no reason to create so many questions that will never be answered for a character ending. You do that kind of ending in order to leave a few strings untied for a later story. This created new strings and then just dropped them on the floor.

Edited by Tolvir

I'm not quite sure what to make of the story...

Shadows of Valentia throws a thousand plot threads at us, and does jack squat with them. It stays on the same path the entire game. The story is lackluster and squanders the potential of most characters. Every opportunity that Intelligent Systems had to do something interesting or surprising was wasted. 

I didn't come away from the story unhappy, but I do feel as if everything that happened in the game was pointless. Every action, decision and event made me ask the age-old question of "why?" but the game only saw fit to reply with "because" or "I dunno". "Why?" is a question that everyone asks themselves on a daily basis, even if subconsciously. To not have that question answered when involved with something that demands our attention leads to a sense of unfulfillment or the like.

I'm having an exceedingly hard time putting my thoughts on screen. I feel like I'm looking at a simple puzzle, but you happen to be looking at it so intently that you start looking past it. Like hearing the words that someone is saying to you but being unable to register the meaning.

"uuuh..." Pretty much sums up my opinion on the story. I'm sorry that I can't be any clearer. Perhaps if I wait a handful of days I can form a better opinion, since I've only finished the game a few hours ago.