Natalie's Art (New: Sumia)

badatfireemblem

2 hours ago, Shuuda said:

I'm impressed you were able to produce something like that in such a short amount of time. Speed certainly isn't one of my strong suits. The outfit works really well, especially the way it stands out against the background. I hope your brother enjoys it.

Thanks. I usually take days over finishing something, so this is highly unusual. It's actually so rushed that I just noticed I forgot to put her ear in. She's also supposed to have wings but I didn't have time to add those unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Claudius I said:

How did you produce that in three hours? It's lovely! In three hours, I wouldn't be able to draw much more than a glorified stick figure. 

Happy birthday (in advance) to your brother, by the way.

Thank you Hatty. Idk maybe all that overdosing on caffeine helped. I actually work so much better under pressure because I don't have the opportunity to procrastinate.

I'll pass on the message tomorrow as he knows nothing about this yet. I've been avoiding him because he can always tell when I'm hiding something. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Natalie Hey, sorry I haven't posted in the creative section much lately.  It's mostly due to the fact that I can't draw at all myself with two demanding children, but your recent works are really nice.

If you are still taking requests, would you want to try drawing a Titania from Path of Radiance?

the lyn and mercy is great. for lack of a better term, i'd describe your style as "portrait style"

very regal, great poses, shading and colouring fit the style + every character looks frameable (don't hesitate to print :)

Oops I totally forgot to post as promised yesterday!

Here's your finished (but I'll probably keep changing later) Rebecca @Claudius I. There's so much I need to improve on but I've been having a block lately. I'm not really sure about purple, but whatever colour I blocked in behind didn't seem to work, and white hurts my eyes. And I tried to make her look younger than my usual drawings, similar to my Oboro piece. I also found that she looked kind of basic when I first blocked in colours, so I took some ideas from her Cipher and Heroes artwork.

Feel free to critique everyone.

ZVMR0Kf.jpg

9 hours ago, Rezzy said:

@Natalie Hey, sorry I haven't posted in the creative section much lately.  It's mostly due to the fact that I can't draw at all myself with two demanding children, but your recent works are really nice.

If you are still taking requests, would you want to try drawing a Titania from Path of Radiance?

Oh, that's totally okay, having kids is very time consuming. Thank you so much! 

Yes, I'm still taking requests, but I'm away for a couple of weeks, so I'll have to make a start after then. Titania is one of my favourites so I'm looking forward to painting her.

8 hours ago, buttmuncher.ops said:

the lyn and mercy is great. for lack of a better term, i'd describe your style as "portrait style"

very regal, great poses, shading and colouring fit the style + every character looks frameable (don't hesitate to print :)

Aww, thanks. There's still so much I need to work on, but I think I've improved a lot since I started in May. 

Edited by Natalie

20 minutes ago, Claudius I said:

S-she's beautiful... ;_;
Thank you.

You did a great job on this one! 
Somewhere I'm glad the Pelleas didn't work out.

:cry: Thank you Hatty.

Pelleas is a bum anyway for not being a cute girl.

9 minutes ago, SullyMcGully said:

Wow, good work! She's gorgeous!

Hey, if you ever get around to it, do you think you could make L'arachel from Sacred Stones? 

Aww thanks Sully!

Of course! I'll add her to the list, but it might take awhile. 

And @Arcanite is using my Oboro too! Everyone is so nice to me ahhhhh. I'm crying right now.

25 minutes ago, Natalie said:

And @Arcanite is using my Oboro too! Everyone is so nice to me ahhhhh. I'm crying right now.

Are you really crying? O.o 

Also, while everyone is making requests I may as well myself

Can you do one of Nino? Heh

34 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Are you really crying? O.o 

Also, while everyone is making requests I may as well myself

Can you do one of Nino? Heh

Tears of joy~ But maybe a robot just doesn't understand...

A second request? Sheesh. Nino is a baby nuke so that's fine with me.

Wow, so much pressure to keep me busy sketching on holiday. When am I going to find time for swimming?

20 hours ago, Natalie said:

Tears of joy~ But maybe a robot just doesn't understand...

Oh I understand 

Glad we could make you happy :)

20 hours ago, Natalie said:

Wow, so much pressure to keep me busy sketching on holiday. When am I going to find time for swimming?

Im fine with waiting so don't rush 

Nino would want you to do your best :Nino:

This Rebecca image is also very nice!
Also seeing her made me want to ask for a request:
Could you try (if you have the opportunity) to make an art of Wolt from Binding Blade for one of my friends? I'm fairly sure they would really appreciate it.

Edit: Sry, forgot that you focus to draw females so ignore please.

Edited by Aya Shameimaru

1 hour ago, Aya Shameimaru said:

This Rebecca image is also very nice!
Also seeing her made me want to ask for a request:
Could you try (if you have the opportunity) to make an art of Wolt from Binding Blade for one of my friends? I'm fairly sure they would really appreciate it.

Edit: Sry, forgot that you focus to draw females so ignore please.

Thank you so much!

I wish I could draw Wolt, I'm just so bad at drawing men. But if there's any females you'd like, I'd be very happy to draw them instead.

• 3 weeks later...

So I've been away for two weeks in the currently incredibly hot Spain. In between holiday things, I was able to spend some time sketching, which I haven't done for a long time since starting digital art but it felt really nice to be able to just draw on paper. Here's a few of the FE drawings I did, which I'm posting as a kind of filler while I get back into digital. Each one only took around 10-15 minutes so they're all pretty rough.

AftQ30wm.jpg    iDTsNvbm.jpg     CdBmTxXm.jpg     ZNBpdm5m.jpg   

6RP620Um.jpg   M2yRXcfm.jpg   

I've almost finished Titania, so I will hopefully be posting that very soon!

Edited by Natalie

i really like the 5th sketch. maybe its just me, but i see a lot of emphasis on the noses, and i think the facial proportions are perfect in that sketch

also the character is cute, even though i dont recognize her (probably haven't played that FE ;/

21 hours ago, buttmuncher.ops said:

i really like the 5th sketch. maybe its just me, but i see a lot of emphasis on the noses, and i think the facial proportions are perfect in that sketch

also the character is cute, even though i dont recognize her (probably haven't played that FE ;/

Thanks. Yeah the noses tend to stand out in sketches because I don't get rid of original sketch lines. It's supposed to be Sakura from Fates, but she ended up looking older.

I've also managed to finish PoR Titania requested by @Rezzy quicker than I expected. As usual, any feedback and critique is always really helpful.

XlveOS0l.jpg

Edited by Natalie

9 hours ago, Natalie said:

Thanks. Yeah the noses tend to stand out in sketches because I don't get rid of original sketch lines. It's supposed to be Sakura from Fates, but she ended up looking older.

I've also managed to finish PoR Titania requested by @Rezzy quicker than I expected. As usual, any feedback and critique is always really helpful.

XlveOS0l.jpg

Very nice, I'll have to comment more when I'm not on mobile.

Mind if I use it as a avatar for a bit?

15 hours ago, Claudius I said:

Amazing work, my friend. Simply amazing.

Colour me impressed.

Thank you <3

7 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Very nice, I'll have to comment more when I'm not on mobile.

Mind if I use it as a avatar for a bit?

Thanks, and no problem. Yes, that's absolutely fine~

On 9/29/2017 at 9:18 AM, Natalie said:

XlveOS0l.jpg

It looks great!  Titania looks a bit young here, but young Titania is a nice stylistic choice.

The forearm looks to have an odd bend to it, but they may be an illusion from the bracer, and her left arm behind behind her rear a bit too much, but I understand limbs are hard to draw and I do the same thing myself to avoid drawing them.

Minor nitpicks, but I love it overall!

The main problems I see are with your black and white values. The ones you use in the face and hair are fine and have a nice contrast to them, but there is a complete lack of contrast in the rest of the image. In the paintover I did not change the face and hair, but only changed the contrast on the clothes. The shadows on her armor are darker and I added more highlights on the dress. I also did a quick fix of her arm, because it had an odd bend like Rezzy pointed out.

You can also see how much impact the background can have on your image. In the original artwork the background has the same value as the dress and hair, so the image doesn't read very well. With a lighter background there is more contrast making the character stand out more.

Also when shading stuff like the arms and torso, keep in mind that most of their basic shapes are cylinders. Right now everything except the head and hair looks very flat.

Something I occasionally do when I work on an artwork is to turn the image into a black and white image. It helps to see if there are mistakes and if the image reads well.

mdNPLnM.png

On 9/30/2017 at 11:10 PM, Rezzy said:

It looks great!  Titania looks a bit young here, but young Titania is a nice stylistic choice.

The forearm looks to have an odd bend to it, but they may be an illusion from the bracer, and her left arm behind behind her rear a bit too much, but I understand limbs are hard to draw and I do the same thing myself to avoid drawing them.

Minor nitpicks, but I love it overall!

Thanks! Yeah, that was rather unintentional to have her looking younger, but I find drawing different ages (apart from young and very old) difficult to gauge. 

I think the arm was originally in the right place, but when I added armour things must've changed. 

I'm so glad you like it!

On 10/1/2017 at 3:50 PM, Sietje said:

The main problems I see are with your black and white values. The ones you use in the face and hair are fine and have a nice contrast to them, but there is a complete lack of contrast in the rest of the image. In the paintover I did not change the face and hair, but only changed the contrast on the clothes. The shadows on her armor are darker and I added more highlights on the dress. I also did a quick fix of her arm, because it had an odd bend like Rezzy pointed out.

You can also see how much impact the background can have on your image. In the original artwork the background has the same value as the dress and hair, so the image doesn't read very well. With a lighter background there is more contrast making the character stand out more.

Also when shading stuff like the arms and torso, keep in mind that most of their basic shapes are cylinders. Right now everything except the head and hair looks very flat.

Something I occasionally do when I work on an artwork is to turn the image into a black and white image. It helps to see if there are mistakes and if the image reads well.

You've raised some very valid points here which I've taken on board. I'm inexperienced with clothing, especially armour, so these tips have been helpful. 

As far as black and white vs colour, what I learned when I was doing traditional portraiture in college, which also included such things as life drawing and photography, is that images (both paintings and photography) look vastly different to the eye when in black and white. Flipping it to black and white can help with contrast, but I personally wouldn't use it as a complete guide as certain colours always look bland in greyscale.

Thanks for all the advice!

21 hours ago, SullyMcGully said:

Back from vacation! Titania looks beautiful, @Natalie! She looks young, which is cool because I've never thought about a young Titania before... she actually looks like my type!

Aww, thanks Sully! I hope you enjoyed yourself. 

Your L'arachel will be following shortly after some personal/family pieces!

Edited by Natalie

21 hours ago, SullyMcGully said:

Back from vacation! Titania looks beautiful, @Natalie! She looks young, which is cool because I've never thought about a young Titania before... she actually looks like my type!

Yes, I was young once.

I was so excited when I saw that Inigo was getting the official dancer outfit that he's always deserved, that I decided to go outside of my comfort zone and try and paint him. 

Now, I've mentioned several times how insanely bad I am at drawing men (mainly because I never studied the male form at college), but I feel I really ought to share this anyway. Basically, after finishing the Inigo painting, I then summoned an Inigo Dancer on Heroes, I told @Arcanite and they summoned one too. I feel like a wizard.

I then summoned Bubblemum an Olivia, so she asked me to paint her as well.

Olivia comes first because she's the better painting, in my opinion; this was my first time actually painting dancing figures, so I learned a lot from the Inigo one that I was able to transfer over to Olivia (pose, skin, fabrics etc). I would like to redo some sections on Inigo, but I also don't want to alter his summoning magic. Also, Inigo looks like a girl and I'm sorry.

EDIT: Changed foot position

I also forgot to mention that I left off her see-through genie pant things because they were kind of distracting. So yeah, have some leg instead.

mVaBwVbh.jpg

bf1tbzxh.jpg

Edited by Natalie

The colours are really good and I think you nailed Olivia's hair however her pose bothers me, particularly her extended leg, It looks like its bent the wrong way. Inigo looks fine to me.