I Have a New-Found Appreciation for Palla

Just now, KongDude said:

Is there a real reason why Catria and Palla like Marth and Abel? Or is it just a thing? I don't think you need a grand reason for infatuation, but I want to know if it was just for triangles.

there's not really a "reason" given

but with catria it makes sense that she'd have a crush on marth, and it works with her character in an interesting way

she's a young knight, he's a brave, young, strong prince. there's obviously gonna be a lot of people who find him attractive (which there are), and catria happens to be among them. the thing is, catria is aware that she'll never be able to be with marth and she hates that she has these feelings for him and views them as something she has to put aside, as difficult as it might be to move on

palla's crush on abel is a thing but there's not really anything to it as far as I can tell. it's just there

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, unique said:

there's not really a "reason" given

but with catria it makes sense that she'd have a crush on marth, and it works with her character in an interesting way

she's a young knight, he's a brave, young, strong prince. there's obviously gonna be a lot of people who find him attractive (which there are), and catria happens to be among them. the thing is, catria is aware that she'll never be able to be with marth and she hates that she has these feelings for him and views them as something she has to put aside, as difficult as it might be to move on

palla's crush on abel is a thing but there's not really anything to it as far as I can tell. it's just there

I guess it's easier to fall in love with a prince, yeah.

16 minutes ago, KongDude said:

But the pirates had more dedication to Est than him! They literally came to Archanea on a boat, picked a girl, then came back on a boat to sell her. And I doubt Catria and Palla flew all the way from Archanea to Valentia. Seems like torture for the Pegasus to go across seas without a break.

Lucky for them, fatigue didn't become a thing until they reached Valentia.

14 minutes ago, unique said:

oh I don't disagree or anything I thought about the same thing

it's just that palla... never actually talks to abel

it feels really unnecessary and doesn't really do much for her character

Given the lack of dialogue most Marthland characters get, they very well could have been talking off screen.  In a camp of a few dozen people, they surely would have run into each other,

2 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Lucky for them, fatigue didn't become a thing until they reached Valentia.

I'm saying they probably went on a boat, especially seeing that they wounded up near a harbor. Makes me kind of wish they unmounted in reasonable maps rather than being on their horsies all the time.

10 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Given the lack of dialogue most Marthland characters get, they very well could have been talking off screen.  In a camp of a few dozen people, they surely would have run into each other,

i mean it's possible but they talk literally never

like, linde's ending in fe3 sort of implied that she had a crush on merric, so to more properly build that up, they gave linde a conversation with merric when she joins as well as supports with him in fe12. and at the end of those supports, you can see that she definitely does have feelings for him 

but palla never talks to abel in any of the games or remakes she was in, and fe15 doesn't really imply that any sort of interaction happened between them ever

it just seems weird and unnecessary for her to have a crush on someone who has absolutely no established relationship with her beyond being her sister's boyfriend

Edited by unique

15 minutes ago, KongDude said:

I'm saying they probably went on a boat, especially seeing that they wounded up near a harbor. Makes me kind of wish they unmounted in reasonable maps rather than being on their horsies all the time.

I was being silly.  It's a thing in D&D circles to abuse the "Rules as Written".  Well, the rules don't say you can't fly across the ocean on a Pegasus...

2 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I was being silly.  It's a thing in D&D circles to abuse the "Rules as Written".  Well, the rules don't say you can't fly across the ocean on a Pegasus...

I'm aware don't worry. I just thought I should make my claim more clear.

2 hours ago, unique said:

i mean it's possible but they talk literally never

like, linde's ending in fe3 sort of implied that she had a crush on merric, so to more properly build that up, they gave linde a conversation with merric when she joins as well as supports with him in fe12. and at the end of those supports, you can see that she definitely does have feelings for him 

but palla never talks to abel in any of the games or remakes she was in, and fe15 doesn't really imply that any sort of interaction happened between them ever

it just seems weird and unnecessary for her to have a crush on someone who has absolutely no established relationship with her beyond being her sister's boyfriend

I was curious what, if anything, was there about the Palla/Abel stuff and I found:

-Death quote in the original Gaiden is her saying sorry to him
-FE3's death quote is just "Abel..." (Book 1's deathquote doesnt mention him)
-A passive support with Abel in Shadow Dragon
-Another passive support with Abel in 12, but no base conversations
-The assorted mentions/allusions in echoes, of course.

So it's something they've clearly had in place for a while and but just never...did anything with.. I'm surprised, I figured she was the basis for Cordelia (& I guess she still kind of is) but it doesn't really come up at all.

1 hour ago, r_n said:

I was curious what, if anything, was there about the Palla/Abel stuff and I found:

-Death quote in the original Gaiden is her saying sorry to him
-FE3's death quote is just "Abel..." (Book 1's deathquote doesnt mention him)
-A passive support with Abel in Shadow Dragon
-Another passive support with Abel in 12, but no base conversations
-The assorted mentions/allusions in echoes, of course.

So it's something they've clearly had in place for a while and but just never...did anything with.. I'm surprised, I figured she was the basis for Cordelia (& I guess she still kind of is) but it doesn't really come up at all.

I'm pretty sure that it's known as the Catria archetype. It's pretty ironic too because Catria's love seems to be the weakest of all.

2 hours ago, KongDude said:

Is there a real reason why Catria and Palla like Marth and Abel? Or is it just a thing? I don't think you need a grand reason for falling in love, but I want to know if it was just for triangles.

IS seems to like the whole unrequited love thing. I'm sure you could find at least one case of it in nearly every game.

Edited by UNLEASH IT

59 minutes ago, UNLEASH IT said:

Unrequited affection is  a series staple. I'm sure you could find at least one case of it in nearly every game.

Of course, but I'm sure that there are characters that still have reasons. I was just wondering if the two sisters were a part of that group.

20 minutes ago, KongDude said:

I'm pretty sure that it's known as the Catria archetype. It's pretty ironic too because Catria's love seems to be the weakest of all.

i wouldn't call Catria's love "the weakest", it's just that she doesn't want to acknowledge it and tries to push it away. it's hinted at several times in FE12 and FE15 but the aside from her avatar supports which are about the same quality as most other avatar supports, the only time you can really see how much it affects her is in her support with est, where she almost cries and runs away. it clearly has a big impact on her, but she views it as a weakness in herself.

but anyway, it's really pushing it to call that a "Catria archetype" 

cordelia is really the only other character you can put in that category, and her unrequited love is handled much differently and was probably designed as an homage to catria (i'm pretty sure she even had blue hair at one point)

aside from that the only character you could sort of call that is elincia, and that's reaaally pushing it since ike and elincia talk really often in path of radiance and the ending scene feels like it was supposed to offer some sort of closure to that

9 hours ago, Astellius said:

To be fair, Est messed up the natural order of the color attraction scheme. The blue-haired Catria likes the blue-haired Marth, green-haired Palla likes the green-haired Abel. So, Est, having red/pink hair should've gone after the red-haired Cain. That's the natural order of things. But, instead, she had to go be a rebel and marry a guy with green hair...

Uhhh... what about Wolf, the manliest of the pink haired crew? Maybe she could help him get over his obsession with Hardin :D 

And Palla then gets with Abel because that's the way the world works xD 

4 hours ago, unique said:

Catria could just fake as Caeda though, to get Marth. I mean, they both have blue hair, blue eyes, and are pegasus knights. Catria just needs to get longer hair, remove the headbane, and ta da, you get Caeda.

32 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

Uhhh... what about Wolf, the manliest of the pink haired crew? Maybe she could help him get over his obsession with Hardin :D 

Wait I thought Vylin was the most manliest.

4 minutes ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Catria could just fake as Caeda though, to get Marth. I mean, they both have blue hair, blue eyes, and are pegasus knights. Catria just needs to get longer hair, remove the headbane, and ta da, you get Caeda.

Wait I thought Vylin was the most manliest.

Nope, I consulted my spirit guide and we both agree that Vyland has red, not pink hair ^.^ 

He may be the manliest outside of that, but only if we open the pool to redheads. But for true matching... well, the hair's gotta count. 

Maybe that's why Est left Abel... His hair wasn't pink enough xD 

18 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

Nope, I consulted my spirit guide and we both agree that Vyland has red, not pink hair ^.^ 

He may be the manliest outside of that, but only if we open the pool to redheads. But for true matching... well, the hair's gotta count. 

Maybe that's why Est left Abel... His hair wasn't pink enough xD 

So, Makalov, then?

6 hours ago, Rezzy said:

In regards to the Palla, Est, Abel love triangle, my perspective.

6 hours ago, KongDude said:

Is there a real reason why Catria and Palla like Marth and Abel? Or is it just a thing? I don't think you need a grand reason for falling in love, but I want to know if it was just for triangles.

Love Triangle... ATTACK!!

1 hour ago, Cute Chao said:

Wolf had purple hair in the games though... However, in some of the other official art, like Cipher, his hair is definitely pink, Est-levels of pink. I guess he's showing his true colors! And Wolf is badass enough that he'd actually be able to protect her, so maybe she'd stop spending so much time in prison!

4 minutes ago, Astellius said:

Wolf had purple hair in the games though... However, in some of the other official art, like Cipher, his hair is definitely pink, Est-levels of pink. I guess he's showing his true colors! And Wolf is badass enough that he'd actually be able to protect her, so maybe she'd stop spending so much time in prison!

I must be remembering his cipher xD I went back and looked at his sprites and yup, purple -.- But I agree - the ciphers show his true manly colours! 

They might even be good for each other. Wolf protects Est and Est stops him suiciding. Palla gets with Abel. Everyone is happy xD 

And this is still how the world works -.- 

2 hours ago, unique said:

i wouldn't call Catria's love "the weakest", it's just that she doesn't want to acknowledge it and tries to push it away. it's hinted at several times in FE12 and FE15 but the aside from her avatar supports which are about the same quality as most other avatar supports, the only time you can really see how much it affects her is in her support with est, where she almost cries and runs away. it clearly has a big impact on her, but she views it as a weakness in herself.

but anyway, it's really pushing it to call that a "Catria archetype" 

cordelia is really the only other character you can put in that category, and her unrequited love is handled much differently and was probably designed as an homage to catria (i'm pretty sure she even had blue hair at one point)

aside from that the only character you could sort of call that is elincia, and that's reaaally pushing it since ike and elincia talk really often in path of radiance and the ending scene feels like it was supposed to offer some sort of closure to that

I've yet to play Archanea games, but her character hides the love trait better than all the others in Echoes and Heroes. That's what I meant to say but worded it very poorly.

I don't call it the Catria archetype myself. I've heard various others talk about and refer to her when it comes to "unrequited love for lords."

Edited by KongDude

29 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

I must be remembering his cipher xD I went back and looked at his sprites and yup, purple -.- But I agree - the ciphers show his true manly colours! 

They might even be good for each other. Wolf protects Est and Est stops him suiciding. Palla gets with Abel. Everyone is happy xD 

And this is still how the world works -.- 

Yes, it all works out in the end. And Wolf sometimes having purple hair is fine, because Est had red hair in her original portrait, and then there's this original portrait from the manual for Gaiden or something like that, from back before Catria had a nose:

Spoiler

latest.thumb.png.ecfac74f61f1bdc5a9d30826070ada50.png

So some flexibility with respect to the hair color might be permissible with respect to Est's pairing.

I agree that Palla is best whitewing, I've always liked her best. I love the other two as well, but Palla just pulls ahead for some reason. Also, is it just me or does Catria's voice in Echoes sound like you are talking to her on the phone? Idk the audio quality almost seems lower than other characters.