Running enemies

Been wondering for a while, at what point of the game will the enemy stop running away?

First few battles were really boring, I hit the enemy, then they try to run... Worst part is, they prolongue the battle needlessly.

This is on hard. When will the enemy prefer to get killed on the counter, rather then flee?

1 hour ago, SSJDennis said:

Been wondering for a while, at what point of the game will the enemy stop running away?

First few battles were really boring, I hit the enemy, then they try to run... Worst part is, they prolongue the battle needlessly.

This is on hard. When will the enemy prefer to get killed on the counter, rather then flee?

My experience is that this behavior never stops (at least on normal mode. I'm halfway through hard mode chapter 3 and they still do that) THat being said, it is the most annoying for the first few battles on each route, simply because your army becomes much more capable of killing enemies surprisingly quickly. The one enemy who runs halfway across the map around two maps in and forces you to slog to get to him is by far the most annoying example, due to how the map is laid out, and your team composition. In most other cases, it is less annoying because it means that you don't have to deal with them while clearing out the map. Heck, in some instances, I found myself activating this behavior on purpose so that i could get especially annoying enemy units (like archers) out of the way for long enough to deal with everyone else on the map.

Meh, this sounds like very bad game design. In most maps I refuse to attack, just because my other units need the "kill" EXP, but don't want to get exposed.

Sitting, waiting to be attacked is horrible. Hopefully my units get to the OHKO/ORKO mark soon :(

The best way to deal with it early on is to just not leave enemies on low health during Player Phase, unless you can catch up to them easily/without wasting time. This AI only takes effect on maps with heal tiles/healers IIRC (which admittedly is most of them), and Terrors don't have this AI at all. 

Once you hit Sniper with one of your bow units this basically becomes a non-issue, since Snipers have such massive range. ORKO's become attainable surprisingly quick if you're aiming for them, and of course sometimes you'll want to engage on Enemy Phase anyways, making the AI irrelevant. 

If you're honestly not fighting on Player Phase at all though, then you might be overcompensating for the retreat AI just a bit. It's really not been that hard to play around in my experience. 

They don't just "run away", they move to the healing tiles. If all of the healing tiles are occupied, they won't flee. I don't know the exact threshold for enemy to move to the healing tile. 

As long as there's a place available to heal, the enemy will run for it. You can get them to abandon the thought by blocking the healing spot, otherwise you'll just have to pick them off before they run off. You have to be pretty aggressive.

Enemies running away is really annoying toward the beginning of the game since you have fewer units, most with low movement, but I feel like it gets more manageable later on after you start getting units with higher range and movement and weapons like Brave Swords or Excalibur that have high crit chances. After getting Snipers and later Bow Knights, picking off enemies that try to run becomes much easier.

You might hate the battle with Grieth in Act 3, though. He's an obnoxious unit type with scary stats and it's hard to catch him when he starts running since one, he runs onto tiles with evade bonuses, and two, you'll have a castor eternally respawning waves of Terrors at you to clog the halls so you can't catch his 7-move ass. Ugh, never before did I feel so triggered by an enemy running away, haha.