How many Lords would you like? Genders? Their weapon types?

10 hours ago, FoxyGrandpa said:

Depending on the gender of the avatar, they can either be the lord's best friend or lover.

Why couldn't a female be the lord's best friend?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, NekoKnight said:

Why couldn't a female be the lord's best friend?

I mean, I'm not against it, but a problem that I have with it is that in games that avatars are in, the female avatar's relationship with the main character usually overshadows the main character's relationship with their lover. For example, in New Mystery of the emblem, the dialogue that Marth and Kris speak to each other throughout the game make Marth's relationship with Kris seem significantly stronger than his relationship with Caeda. For Awakening, I feel that the best friend dynamic worked fine for the first act of the game, but in the second and third acts, I felt that Female Robin ended up overshadowing Chrom's chosen spouse as well. 

You can probably say that the male avatar also overshadows the Main characters lovers in these games as well, and I don't deny it, but it just comes across as a more natural type of Friendship, since the male avatars aren't the same gender as the MC's lover, so they naturally don't pose any competition as love interest in the story (unless you think Marth and Chrom and bi, to which I feel there isn't enough evidence present in these games to determine whether this is true or false). 

2 hours ago, FoxyGrandpa said:

I mean, I'm not against it, but a problem that I have with it is that in games that avatars are in, the female avatar's relationship with the main character usually overshadows the main character's relationship with their lover. For example, in New Mystery of the emblem, the dialogue that Marth and Kris speak to each other throughout the game make Marth's relationship with Kris seem significantly stronger than his relationship with Caeda. For Awakening, I feel that the best friend dynamic worked fine for the first act of the game, but in the second and third acts, I felt that Female Robin ended up overshadowing Chrom's chosen spouse as well. 

You can probably say that the male avatar also overshadows the Main characters lovers in these games as well, and I don't deny it, but it just comes across as a more natural type of Friendship, since the male avatars aren't the same gender as the MC's lover, so they naturally don't pose any competition as love interest in the story (unless you think Marth and Chrom and bi, to which I feel there isn't enough evidence present in these games to determine whether this is true or false). 

It's all a matter of plot focus. F!Robin overshadows Chrom's wife because unless it's Robin herself, his wife doesn't have story relevance. I didn't play FE12 but if Kris was overshadowing Caeda, it's probably the fault of not giving Caeda enough focus. A female best friend shouldn't be any greater a threat to the protagonist's lover than his sister would be.

I do like that Avatar idea being the long time best friend of the Lords much better reason as for supports for this new game I hope there are canon established pairs like FE 1/2/3/(4/5/6/7)(to a little extent)/11/12/15 but I would like if its more like FE 4 in that their a few canon pairs from the start or budding into one through the story but the Avatar can end up with other units that can be up to the player a perfect balance to please both.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

Three "lords". Two intertwined paths. First lord is somewhat traditional, but give him a lance, maybe even a second weapon to start. Second "lord" is female mercenary commander, axe and/or bow wielder.

You get an avatar and get to choose which main character to follow. The focus of the main character, along with the earlier units you recruit will differ, but it will still be the same story for the most part.

I have nothing against swords from a gameplay, or even an aesthetic point of view. But I do feel like people outside the FE fanbase see our characters as somewhat of a stereotype. Would be nice to put a little distance between FE characters and the "blue-haired sword lad" view, even if its just for one game.

5 minutes ago, Cornguy said:

Three "lords". Two intertwined paths. First lord is somewhat traditional, but give him a lance, maybe even a second weapon to start. Second "lord" is female mercenary commander, axe and/or bow wielder.

You get an avatar and get to choose which main character to follow. The focus of the main character, along with the earlier units you recruit will differ, but it will still be the same story for the most part.

I have nothing against swords from a gameplay, or even an aesthetic point of view. But I do feel like people outside the FE fanbase see our characters as somewhat of a stereotype. Would be nice to put a little distance between FE characters and the "blue-haired sword lad" view, even if its just for one game.

What makes Sword Lords so important from a gameplay perspective is that as the main characters, they need to be able to hit reliably well, which Swords are the best at doing.

That being said, more variety in hair color or personal background would be greatly appreciated.

I'd love to have more Lords with alternate weapon types, but at the same time something traditional to fall back on would be nice to have in case said alternative Lords have special issues like poor durability or accuracy.

I won't go into too much detail and keep things simple with two OCs I made up. Its a sister/brother duo.

A high con/str/def male character who wields axes. Branch promotes into a hero or into a unique class uses axes and uses dark magic upon promotion. The older sibling

A low con, high speed/skill/luck female myrmidon sword wielder. Branch Promotes into Hero or Swordmaster. The younger sibling

Both have different mentalities and have similarities to each other. Both are fighters on the level of Ike/Ephraim/Sigurd/Alm etc...

I don't particularly care for which gender the lord is but another female lord would be cool, maybe a spear or axe user because I just think that would be pretty gnarly.

But if not, a bow lord would be pretty cool too.

I feel as if they could do a lot with a mage Lord. While this lord would be a powerful offensive force, they would need to rely on their comrades for defense, which they could work into their character.

I would like to see at least two lords but preferably three, maybe an Axe lord, a Cav lord and a Lance lord. However the game starts where we focus on lord #1 for the first few chapters maybe even all of part 1. We then switch to lords number 2 and 3 in parts 2 and 3, they all join forces either at the end of part 3 or the beginning of part 4. Oh yeah NO AVATARR. Especially since Nintendo seems reluctant to commit to the very idea of a self inserted character.

• 3 weeks later...

I want a female lead to be the sole lord of the game. All of the female lords we have are usually upstaged by another male lord, except for F!Corrin, but they're a bit of a weird case. Celica, Lyn, Eirika, Micaiah, Lucina, and Azura had to share the spotlight. (Also a question, do we consider Azura and Lucina lords? They fit my personal criteria, but I'm not sure if you guys think so). Honestly, IS would probably make a lot of money off of merch of a female lord that is essentially Lucina 2.0. They could make some sort of Mulan-esque character that is some bastard daughter of some nobility, catastrophe strikes, a Black Fang-esque group learns of her existence and tries to kidnap her (maybe those with royal blood can open some sort of vault with the Fire Emblem in it, idk), so she ventures out to learn of her origins and masquerades as a male so the enemy organization won't be able to recognize her as easily. Personal arcs of maturity and learning about what you want and what you must do to achieve it can be present as well.

However, what I would want is:

• female lord
  • not sword-using, maybe a bow or a naginata.
  • More like a mixture of Ike and Elincia
  • not an avatar unit
  • is held accountable for their mistakes

This may not be realistic though.

I'd take a lord who can't stop poledancing in public, provided they aren't a flawed (or extraneous) fair maiden female, or a perfect pretty boy or rugged warrior or any combination of these things which all lords basically boil down to for the most part. Give me something different and well-executed IS! Chrom would hardly be any better if he was Chromia the tan wielder of Falchion the legendary shapeshifting grenade launcher. I certainly wouldn't mind diversity of any kind, but it by itself will not excuse poor or cliched writing.

One female lord would be fine. Have her wield bows, and she could have a younger mage brother (who could just be a regular unit) to serve as a role model for. I'd like a main female character with a strong personality who remains the focus of the whole game. 

If there's multiple lords then I'd still like the above, and maybe also a meek male mage lord (think Pelleas if he got more screentime) and/or a Robin Hood type thief lord.

Just once, (and I doubt it'd happen anytime soon) I'd like for a lord to be a villain. That, or said Lord is on the opposite side of the conflict, to put it in other words. Not like Corrin's case where they were supposed to be the "Light within the dark", I mean full on dark.

One thing that I feel hurts most villains (in general) is the fact that they don't get enough screen time for themselves, and instead are referenced over and over by various people (if at all) before actually making an appearance. Has it ever occurred to anyone just what exactly it is they've been doing while the hero's scurrying all over the world? That's something worth exploring imo. For this reason is why, while I like characters like Michalis and Walhart  over all, they seemed rather underwhelming for not having enough presence. 'Course, the FE1 manga helps Michalis in that regard, but still. It'd sure be hella cool to see the story unravel through the other side of the coin. Just imagine playing through FE4 but with Arvis/Julius as the lords instead of Sigurd/Seliph? Or even Echoes as Berkut? Fates Conquest had the potential to do this, and would have went perfectly with its title, but didnt for some reason or another. 

I want a sickly lord, meaning that they have an excuse to use long-range weapons, preferably bows as I'd imagine that magic puts some strain on the body.

Maybe they could have an older sibling who is actually the villain, but the lord doesn't realise this until they confront them about some act that seems out of character for such a sweet big brother/sister. The elder sibling then loses their patience and the lord is like, shit, you're not you anymore.

Also, could the lord maybe die at the end of the game, anti-climatic, yes, but imagine; a battle to the death between two close siblings, and they both end up dying, leading to the end of the monarchy unless a close noble house takes over.

If not this, then I second the idea of the lord being the villain.

I've seen a lot of people talk about how they would like main female lord, and as much as I'd like that as well I don't think IS can deliver a strong female lord anymore. I just finished Echoes, and the way Celica and Alm got treated towards the end completely destroys any confidence I have in them creating a good female lord that won't be overshadowed by their male counterpart. I've seen others say this before, but Alm really is perfect while Celica makes all of the mistakes and apparently this isn't even the only time it happens in the series. Since I've only played the 3DS games I can only talk about the female lords in those, and there aren't any good examples in any of them.

In Awakening there aren't any except technically Flavia who we need to help get the throne because her male counterpart has always won the tournament before. I don't really count Lucina because she isn't actually a princess of that world, and she disappears in the end anyway.

In Fates you have the sisters, and all of them are overshadowed by their brothers as lords. The guys get the special weapons and story importance while one of the sisters was completely ignored (Hinoka), the other was Miss Fanservice, and the Sakura is only there because Corrin needs an imotou on the Hoshidan side. Elise is the only one that actually has any story importance, but not only does that only apply to one game (Birthright), it also is only to be the cute sister we feel sad about towards the end. She never does or accomplishes anything because Xander retcons her previous actions immediately.

Then we have Echoes. I know the reasons why Celica made the decisions she made but that doesn't stop them from being stupid, and then there is how Mathilda just becomes a housewife in her ending instead of staying in the new Order of Heroes as a knight alongside her husband or something like that. Does anyone else feel this way or am I overreacting? Oh also, I posted this here because we are talking about what lords we would like to see and I thought they were related. If it isn't then let me know and I will delete this post and maybe make a new topic about it or something.

6 hours ago, YingofDarkness said:

Then we have Echoes. I know the reasons why Celica made the decisions she made but that doesn't stop them from being stupid, and then there is how Mathilda just becomes a housewife in her ending instead of staying in the new Order of Heroes as a knight alongside her husband or something like that. Does anyone else feel this way or am I overreacting? Oh also, I posted this here because we are talking about what lords we would like to see and I thought they were related. If it isn't then let me know and I will delete this post and maybe make a new topic about it or something.

I'm with you that Mathilda disappearing into housewifery once married came as overly traditional and misogynist. In the modern world, while there is nothing wrong with women choosing of their own volition to be housewives, it is totally possible for one to be married, manage the house, and still have a job and life outside the home. And Mathilda is married to a prominent nobleman- she should have 42 legions of servants at her disposal, she doesn't need to clean the floors or do the laundry. And of course it stated in game that Mathilda is better than Clive as a knight. Yet her ending gives no suggestion of her even helping him run the Knighthood in the shadows, which would have been a fine compromise.

Yeah, generally IS even considering pre-3DS games has failed to make good on female lords. Micaiah is interesting (for me at least, her reputation is mixed) and Elincia, while eh in PoR, does get some nice development in RD (although some say it gets reversed). Eirika is naive and makes bad decisions like Celica, while Lyn is pretty extraneous to the main plot of FE7. Leading ladies are generally flawed compared to perfect men, or mysterious (and in need of male protection), in FE. How hard is it to break out of such tired tropes? I guess I could apply that to entertainment and society in general.

Two lords with actually differing paths through the majority of the game would be my preferred way to go. In a reversal of the usual FE formula, they'd be two children of a prodigious Emperor each given an army and told to basically conquer two enemies on opposite ends of the Empire; however, on their return home from their respectively successful campaigns, they learn their father the Emperor has died, and so a Roman Civil War-esque situation happens where the two internally warring factions fight for supremacy. The victor becomes Emperor/Empress and the loser is either exiled or dies.

Any more than two and you either clutter the narrative or one of them ends up redundant. One of them should be the first real magic-using lord who isn't upended from the protagonist spot by a certain individual and the other should be an actual axe-using lord.

I'd love to see dual protagonists again. A man and woman. However, I want to see different personality traits. Especially for the female lord. She should be different from Eirika and Celica and be fiercer and be more like Ephraim/Alm/Hector like while the male lord has a personality similar to Eliwood or Marth. Someone who's calmer and more rational. Like said before a female lord like Mathilda would be amazing! As for the weapons I'd love to have an axe lord again. But a mage would be great, too!

I think 1-2 is perfect, it really depends on the story. As far as type and weapons go, I would love to see a thief/assassin lord for once. Someone using daggers as a main weapon would be really nice to see. That and maybe a axe wielding lord again, havent had very many of those.