Alm's thoughts when picking up the Royal Sword.

So in the NES days when there was more minimilistic dialogue, the foreshadowing with Alm being able to use the Royal Sword was a lot more appropriate. However in the modern day when you need to throw a cutscene on that it becomes a lot more blatant to the point where it can break suspension of disbelief for the character not to treat it more importantly. So what was Alm thinking when he was trying to shrug off this obvious plot point as important.

Whoa. I can wield a sword meant only for royalty. Could I really have royal blood? Wait a second? That king Liama really got around didn't he? I must be the bastard of that bastard!...Holy crap that girl I like isn't my cousin. She's my sister!

Okay Alm doesn't know Celica is the princess of Sofia at that point but still, I think this could have been an effective way of misleading players who weren't aware of the spoiler already.

Everyone shrugs it off. "According to legend, only one of royal blood can use this sword! Alm is the only one who can use it! Yeah, I guess the legend was just a mistake. I will not question why Alm is the only one who can use that sword." Lukas is not a smart man.

I actually have a better question: how the hell did Desaix steal it in the first place? I mean, Desaix is only chancellor, not royalty. So, like Tobin, Desaix shouldn't have been able to even lift the sword that and Desaix is a Baron so he can't use swords in the first place but Rudolf is a Gold Knight yet he used Falchion so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

I actually have a better question: how the hell did Desaix steal it in the first place? I mean, Desaix is only chancellor, not royalty. So, like Tobin, Desaix shouldn't have been able to even lift the sword that and Desaix is a Baron so he can't use swords in the first place but Rudolf is a Gold Knight yet he used Falchion so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Isn't the sword just too heavy to be practical in battle? I'm sure it's still possible to physically move it. It's not Thor's hammer.

33 minutes ago, Sage of Ylisse said:

Did no one actually talk to the cavalier in Zofia castle? She states plainly that the Royal Sword is a gift to Zofia from Rigel. The sword isn't of Zofian origin. Simple as that.

Eh yeah. That's the case in the original too. I just thought it could be an amusing path they could of taken since it only specifies royalty can use it, not which royalty (would be a pretty shit gift if the ones your giving it too can't use it). Better than basically having everyone in universe just forgetting about it two seconds later.

"Golly, I'm the only person in the entire army to be able to wield the Royal Sword, which is said that only people with royal blood can wield , but I can't possibly be royal or anything ! I mean, it's not like I recently learned that I wasnt't really related to Mycen, thus making me a orphan with mysterious origins ! That sooooo stupid !"

That's seems like a legit and perfectly logical mindset. :p

5 hours ago, The_antithesis said:

My thoughts when Alm picked up the Royal Sword: "Another Fire Emblem game that's about incest. How original..."

Mangs and co said it, and they were right. Gaiden did it first. Gaiden always did it first. :p

Edited by B.Leu

39 minutes ago, PolygonsandVideoGames said:

There is NO incest. That was from Rigel so it's not Zofian origin. 

Well they were raised together. It's not blood incest but it does straddle the line.

49 minutes ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

This is a point in the story that left me scratching my head. Like why isnt the cast making a bigger deal out of that, like wut my dudes.

My headcanon is that Lukas figures it out but decides it's best not to say anything. Tobin is just oblivious.

On 5/30/2017 at 7:32 PM, Armagon said:

I always just assumed you couldn't use it when touching it directly. It was in a chest when Alm and Tobin find it.

Plus even if that's not the case, Tobin DOES lift it, but he says like he feels like his arm will snap. So it probably weighs(Or feels like it weighs) a few dozen pounds to people who aren't of royal blood. Which isn't impossible to scurry off with, just impossible to use as a weapon.

Edited by Slumber

On 5/30/2017 at 2:47 AM, Jotari said:

So in the NES days when there was more minimilistic dialogue, the foreshadowing with Alm being able to use the Royal Sword was a lot more appropriate. However in the modern day when you need to throw a cutscene on that it becomes a lot more blatant to the point where it can break suspension of disbelief for the character not to treat it more importantly. So what was Alm thinking when he was trying to shrug off this obvious plot point as important.

Whoa. I can wield a sword meant only for royalty. Could I really have royal blood? Wait a second? That king Liama really got around didn't he? I must be the bastard of that bastard!...Holy crap that girl I like isn't my cousin. She's my sister!

Okay Alm doesn't know Celica is the princess of Sofia at that point but still, I think this could have been an effective way of misleading players who weren't aware of the spoiler already.

Didn't they say the sword could only be used by one of Rigelian royal blood? That's what I thought, in which case, the whole "Liama got around, I'm Celica's brother" meme is stupid, since he's the king of Zofia (and thus just another meme for the sake of memes), which has no bearing on the royal sword

On 5/31/2017 at 0:13 PM, The_antithesis said:

My thoughts when Alm picked up the Royal Sword: "Another Fire Emblem game that's about incest. How original..."

How in the world do people pick up the incest meme from this? The Royal Sword is clearly stated to be of Rigelian origin, that and Alm and Celica have completely different parents. There's no incest. Not even close. Obviously. 

19 hours ago, Jotari said:

Well they were raised together. It's not blood incest but it does straddle the line.

They weren't raised as siblings, so no, it's not even close to a line. This is not like Fates where Corrin is raised as Nohrian royalty, raised with the other Nohrian royals as his siblings. Alm and Celica were childhood friends, not raised as relatives. Please let the meme die.

2 hours ago, TadpoleSuperHero said:

Didn't they say the sword could only be used by one of Rigelian royal blood?

Only "royal blood" was specified, not anything more specific.

On 5/29/2017 at 11:47 PM, Jotari said:

To be honest, I feel like that's precisely the misdirection they were going for. It just obviously doesn't work on us who played Gaiden and know the truth. Remember, it's Zofia's royal sword. Not an exclusive connection to Rigel. The bigger tell they gave just before the sword scene is Desaix's death quote that appears to be referring to Alm.

1 hour ago, Gustavos said:

To be honest, I feel like that's precisely the misdirection they were going for. It just obviously doesn't work on us who played Gaiden and know the truth. Remember, it's Zofia's royal sword. Not an exclusive connection to Rigel. The bigger tell they gave just before the sword scene is Desaix's death quote that appears to be referring to Alm.

5 hours ago, TadpoleSuperHero said:

Didn't they say the sword could only be used by one of Rigelian royal blood? That's what I thought, in which case, the whole "Liama got around, I'm Celica's brother" meme is stupid, since he's the king of Zofia (and thus just another meme for the sake of memes), which has no bearing on the royal sword

Yes, it's Sofia's Royal Sword, but it was a gift from Rigel. Something that is stated both by a soldier and on the swords in game description. But the game only specifies that people of Royal Blood can use it, not which Royal Blood. Celica can't use it as it happens but that might be more down to gameplay than anything else. Regardless based on the information that is presented to Alm at the time, presuming he is Lima's bastard rather than somehow being the son of a guy who lives on the opposite side of the continent is much more logical.

In the original game after you free Zophia castle you're told something along these "Dozer stole the royal sword from the treasury. But only certain people can use it." I'm pretty sure we are all already expecting Alm to be that certain somebody.

On 01/06/2017 at 3:49 AM, PolygonsandVideoGames said:

There is NO incest. That was from Rigel so it's not Zofian origin. 

For all we knew at first it could be very much the case. It's not, but it could be.
Also, it was a joke, sorry if it wasn't clear :p

On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 6:02 PM, B.Leu said:

"Golly, I'm the only person in the entire army to be able to wield the Royal Sword, which is said that only people with royal blood can wield , but I can't possibly be royal or anything ! I mean, it's not like I recently learned that I wasnt't really related to Mycen, thus making me a orphan with mysterious origins ! That sooooo stupid !"

Didn't Clive keep what Fernand mentioned hidden from Alm? The only other person who told the group that Mycen had no blood family was the old man, whom they had already dismissed. Alm even says after the battle with Fernand that he notices something is weighing on Clive's mind, but Clive doesn't say what it is.