SoV Drafting Ruleset

Few people i've been talking to have been eager to try a draft of said game, so I thought i'd post a topic to see if we can hammer out some ideas with how the game will work.  I've put together a basic template below, but I've still got several questions:

Drafting
1. This draft is for 3 players.
2. Alm, Celica, and Silque are free for all
3. The two undrafted units will be free for all.
4. The game will be played on Hard Mode 

Rules:

1. Undrafted units may not do anything but move and trade items.  If you wish to use an undrafted unit for a map, it will cost you a 4 turn penalty.  
2. Every map must be completed.  I'm not sure if you can skip Nuibaba in this game, but every map on the overworld is forced (more on dungeons later)
3. NPC's are free to do as they please.
4. The game will be played up until Duma is defeated.  
5. Random Item drops (Astra/Luna/Sol etc) are banned and may not be sold.
6. If a Sub-Quest is able to be completed without entering extra maps, you may complete it for its reward.

Units Remaining:

Zeke
Mycen
-----
Valbar
Nomah
Conrad

Now things I want to iron out before we try this thing:

WE'RE TRYING THIS THING

Teams:
PKL: Saber, Catria, Clair, Lukas, Delthea, Tatiana, Sonya
Horace: Kliff, Palla, Kamui, Mathilda, Luthier, Est, Atlas
Refa: Mae, Tobin, Faye, Genny, Deen, Clive
Quint: Grey, Boey, Forsyth, Leon, Python, Jesse

FREE SILQUE: I don't think warp should be banned due to the nature and accessability of it, but it's too strong for Silque to be a draftable unit, so she should be free.  I don't think there's much debate here.

3 PLAYERS VS 4 PLAYERS: A 4 player draft allows for a nice even 8 draftable units per team, but that's a pretty low number considering that you can only use half of your team at any given point, so I think 3 players is better.  With 3 you get 10 draftable units and then the 2 units left on the list after 10 rounds for a much bigger and more versitile team.  8 + the free dudes might be enough, willing to listen to opinions here.  In previous Gaiden drafts, Genny and Teeta were also free, but there were no healing items (and I think Teeta was just free to round out numbers)

DUNGEONS: There are (afaik) a fixed number of encounters in each dungeon, and there are some pretty great maps on SF here: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-valentia/miscellaneous/dungeons/ that can ensure you don't get lost in more convoluted dungeons and minimize the amount of enemy respawns (along the the evacuate command when you get to the end).  However, depending on enemy positioning you can get two groups of enemies in one map, which can help (or hinder) you turncounts in these maps and since the enemy movement is pretty random, it's hard (and a PITA regardless) to set up or separate said enemies, so I don't know what to do about dungeon enemies.  Maybe set a certain number of free turns per dungeon?  Do turns per map anyway?  Three free turns per encounter?  Willing to listen to ideas here.

FORGING: I think forging is fine as is, there is a certain number of coins you can get per room in each dungeon (with some very small varations).  Cutting grass and breaking boxes can get kind of annoying, but it doesn't take that long really.  

ENEMY MAP SPAWNS (REINFORCEMENTS): This is mainly a problem in chapter 3, since both routes have potential to have reinforcements, and as far as I know, they're spawned at random.  Should we just force them to count?  Force a retreat (can be hard to do)?  Force a set number of reinforcement battles in chapter 3 (Chapter 4 isn't as bad since you'll likely only get one from Nuibaba's place)?  Open to opinions here too.

VILLAGER FORK/BOOTS: Free DLC items.  Villager Fork is stupid overpowered like the dread scroll/Ebon Wing from fates, so maybe it should be considered?  I'm personally against it (and the free boots) but they wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to add and could add to some team flexability.

The main issues are the enemy reinforcements and dungeons, otherwise I think it'll be a fine game to draft.  If anyone has any other ideas, toss them out here!

Edited by General Horace

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sure you two are in.

PKL and I agree that I think dungeon encounters should be once each and free.  However don't do stupid stuff like having healers heal each other for 20 turns per encounter or anything else that could abuse exp gain in a significant way.

Edited by General Horace

Okay after reading Horace's opinions on the matter, I think it's ok to start with 3 players and see if it is possible for future drafts to add a 4th player (which imo will be the case).

Free Silque is ok i love her. I think genny can be draftable as there are healing items, although she is appreciated on Act 2.

Imo Dungeon encounters can be allowed only once up to the number of enemies on the dungeon. For instance, only 2 encounters are possible on Alm's first dungeon and like 3 or 4 on his meeting with Clive. 3 or maybe 5 free turns are ok and it will control possible abuses.

I prefer playing the draft without any connection help (dlc items etc). Also, I'm doing Act 2 and haven't finished my first playthrough. hope this isn't a requisite

Edited by Quintessence

Nah, you don't have to have finished (you should totally firstpick mycen tho, he's op!!!!!).  

The thing about coutning the dungeon encoutners for turns is if two dudes are close together in a dungeon they spawn together (more enemies on the map) and in turn cause one less map to play total, amongst other things like ambushing the enemy (pretty easy but possible to fuck up) make lots of variables for turncounts in dungeons, which is really annoying.  

Letting Refa in so we can see if 4 players works or if it gives you too few units.

A couple more (related) things): Should going back to a previous dungeon to promote a dude be allowed if you skip all the enemies/don't get any more coins?  A lot of the Mila shrines are easily accessible near the start of dungeons, but backtracking can spawn more reinforcements.  Should we limit this to the end of acts (you can do this without spawning reinforcements when all the enemies are dead, except in graveyards).  Makes using Atlas a lot easier, but could spawn more reinforcements.  

With regards to reinforcements,  I think we're just gonna roll with it and see what happens to get some data for what to do in the future.  

Nah, it's pretty easy to skip them.  

We've decided that the zombies outside of Atlas's village count for turns 3 times (you have to go through it that many times if you recruit Atlas) and if you go through it any more than that (like if you run back to the sea shrine to promote Atlas/other dudes) you have to deploy undrafted dudes to clear/retreat from it (they should be able to win).  

With that, we're good to start.  Don't forget to go to the secret shrine near the end for more exp and statues (if you don't know where it is its east of Rigel Falls).  

4ca823e447ccb7a33aa51b01e8fc9630.png
https://gyazo.com/4ca823e447ccb7a33aa51b01e8fc9630

Nope, prologue doesn't count, just use Mycen.  I also forgot to mention, Mila's Turnwheel is also free, since levelups and whatnot are predetermined at the start of maps anyway and hitrates are generally bullshit.  

I pick Kamui