Echoes: Promote ASAP or Promote at Max Level

Promotion Preferences in Echoes  

295 members have voted

1. 1. Do you generally prefer to promote units ASAP or promote units at max level?

• I generally prefer to promote Echoes units ASAP
    • I generally prefer to promote Echoes units at max level

10 hours ago, sirmola said:

You don't really even need to grind to get a few levels on your villagers before promoting. Just play through the first 3-4 battles, and then do the "kill 20 bandits" quest (which might techecaly be grinding, but the game counts it as an official quest). Presto, everyone's level 8 -9. Honestly, waiting to 10 or so before promoting villagers is really useful for minimal effort. Past that, I would not recomend it because of how grindy it gets.

I don't have a source and I haven't fully tested this yet, but I think the Bandits that Celica kill in Ch.2 also count towards that quest, since I was able to get the reward by going to Ram Village as Celica in Ch.2

On 9.6.2017 at 0:24 PM, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I don't have a source and I haven't fully tested this yet, but I think the Bandits that Celica kill in Ch.2 also count towards that quest, since I was able to get the reward by going to Ram Village as Celica in Ch.2

I suppose that could be possible. But I tried to beat the "Kill 20 Revenants at the Novis Cemetery" quest by killing Revenants at the Mountain Graveyard (since the former stop spawning after Part 2). And that did not work. So I think that when the game says to kill 20 bandits at the Thief Shrine, it is specifically coded to only take the bandits at the Thief Shrine into account.

After trying a variation of grindless play, I've revised my position tentatively, may change once I fully beat the game. I feel that as long as your units can't reasonably max out their final class's level with the experience given over the course of the game, it's best to change classes once experience starts slowing down to lower than what it would be if you changed classes, which is at a different level for each stage of the game due to the enemies gaining higher levels and a level one tier 2 unit gaining less experience than a level 1 tier 1 unit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2017 at 2:54 PM, Lord_Grima said:

For the most part you should promote as soon as possible, the stat gains from promoting are just bumps up to a base level instead of a set number of increases.

But, if you want to try maxing out units with Star Jacinths, then wait till 20. If you use a Star Jacinth, then you should gain more stats from those extra 8-10 levels compared to the promotion gains.

What is a star jacinth?

5 hours ago, Lord Chrom of Ylisse said:

What is a star jacinth?

It's a DLC item. When playing the Inner Sanctum or the Astral Temple, you can find Astral Shards: https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-valentia/weapons/items/#star

When a character holds one, it boosts the growth rates of that character. If you find all twelve and a black pearl you can talk to the old guy in the beginning of the Inner Sanctum and he will combine them into a Star Jacinth, which gives a +30% to all stats (+5% to Res).

• 2 weeks later...

For me, it's less about when to promote them but more about "which level should I opt for when reaching a specific shrine for the first time" ... but the idea behind this is effectively the same so let's have a closer look at this

Usually I consider a quick promotion to be more useful than potentially better stats at 20/20(/20) due to how class changing tends to temporarily increase experience-gains and due to how class changing works in the first place. There are, however, a few exceptions which are Alm, Celica, Mae and Cleric!Faye (if I decide to use her as an actual combat unit). They tend to benefit a lot less from an early promotion (Celicas promotion is fixed but that wouldn't affect my decision to bring her as close as possible to 20 before promotion anyways) and are instead more based on their growth rates. For Mae especially, promoting her to Priestess also negatively affects her Exp gain (exp multiplier goes from 6 down to 1). With Faye it's less like "I definitely want to promote her at 20" but more like "she gets to 20 before I can promote her" because of her exp.multiplier of 8 and because I like to abuse her as a nosferatu meatshield 

But generally promoting early appears to be the superior option.

Edited by Caedes

• 3 months later...

I promote my units at the maximum level unless they are on the mercenary line. The reason I promote my units early on the mercenary line is so I can abuse the Dread Fighter loop. For the others I promote them at the maximum because they would be more powerful than you did it early. I promoted my units in Fates asap but I learnt my lesson so with Echoes I generally promote them a the max.

• 4 months later...

I promoted all of my units at max level on a LTC run (for the Blitzkreig Achievement) and everything turned out fine. In fact Thabes was a walkover. I used Mila's turnwheel near the end (but only after the main story was beaten) to get max Res on some units. Turned out it wasn't required as there wasn't an equivalent super difficult postgame DLC like in Awakening.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Promote ASAP. I have no problem doing grinding, but I do that in itself to get them strong enough so they're not always dying on the actual Story, so I don't want to waste more time than I need to to progress, thus I generally promote as soon as they can. Only exception is if I have two-three units fairly close and I hold off on Promoting one until both/all are ready so I don't have to do so much backtracking over and over to Shrines (had to do it a couple times and, while it allowed me to build more EXP on the way, it was generally annoying to get all the way to one side of the map, backtrack to promote someone, get all the way back and someone else needed to be promoted and I had to do it all over again). In that case, units may be a bit higher leveled than others but I don't really wait until max level for this game (Awakening and Fates is another story, generally waited till Lv20 there).

Edited by Landmaster

Most people say that you should promote ASAP in Echoes, because you actually don't get bonuses but the stats accommodate to the class your character is promoting into, and I went that way so yeah

The mages and clerics were the only who I made some grinding because of the spells.

21 hours ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

Most people say that you should promote ASAP in Echoes, because you actually don't get bonuses but the stats accommodate to the class your character is promoting into, and I went that way so yeah

The mages and clerics were the only who I made some grinding because of the spells.

But mages will get spells faster if they promote at the first possible opportunity. Plus, they promote so late that by the time they are finally able to, they get next to no EXP anymore.

On 7/21/2018 at 2:17 PM, BrightBow said:

But mages will get spells faster if they promote at the first possible opportunity. Plus, they promote so late that by the time they are finally able to, they get next to no EXP anymore.

Then the spells are like Pokemon moves? You evolve a pkmn and they learn a move that were supposed to learn, like 10 or 5 levels further :o

6 minutes ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

Then the spells are like Pokemon moves? You evolve a pkmn and they learn a move that were supposed to learn, like 10 or 5 levels further :o

It's probably best to just quote the site on this:

https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-valentia/characters/learned-spells/

• If a character promotes before learning a spell, the required Level becomes Listed Level – Level before Promotion + 1.