Tempest Torture

Arthur97

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, JSND said:

Whats the score for second highest?

When I didn’t dawdle after wasting my first team, I got something like 450~480, I don’t quite remember. This time I got ≈380.

5 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

When I didn’t dawdle after wasting my first team, I got something like 450~480, I don’t quite remember. This time I got ≈380.

Speed seems to be weighted more highly than survivability.

Anecdotally, people report getting better results for finishing fast than worrying about how many units make it.

I've lost two full teams on the 5-map lunatic one, and still gotten ~450 each time.

I believe that the most efficient strategy is to do the 5-map lunatic one. Nobody's reported a score over 700 on any run, no matter the difficulty, so being guaranteed ~450 each time for about 10 minutes of gameplay seems to be the fastest strategy (speaking as someone who has over 80 stamina potions and doesn't care about stamina.)

Edited by dragonlordsd

1 minute ago, dragonlordsd said:

Anecdotally, people report getting better results for finishing fast than worrying about how many units make it.

I've lost two full teams on the 5-map lunatic one, and still gotten ~450 each time.

And that, I dare say, is sort of BS given how much the “don’t die, please” aspect has been advertised.
Speed should not be weighted that much in comparison with survival.

2 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

An A for speed gives 1.5x multiplier while an A for survival only gives 1.2x

Double As on the last stratum gives 504 without a bonus unit.

6 minutes ago, Korath88 said:

An A for speed gives 1.5x multiplier while an A for survival only gives 1.2x

Double As on the last stratum gives 504 without a bonus unit.

Oh wow. That is hilariously awful.

Additionally, losing 9 units only gets you a C in survivability. 9. C. Not D, not F, C.

Edited by dragonlordsd

Hard difficulty is extremely ridiculous (if only because of Fury Veronica). Lunatic difficulty is virtually impossible for me to clear with my current team; Tharja takes too much damage from Veronica to the point that she basically gets OHKO'd. The map's also very congested.

Also, losing the 5-battle Lunatic trial on the 5th battle gets me the same amount of points as a perfect 5-battle clear on a Hard trial (252 pts w/ 40% bonus included).

I'm changing up my strategy for the tempest trials. Going to finish the 1st match with a bootleg bonus unit team, insta-surrender on the second map and then speed through the rest of the maps with my A-Team

(This entire event is basically "Celica deletes Veronica out of existence")

Edited by Korath88

6 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

And that, I dare say, is sort of BS given how much the “don’t die, please” aspect has been advertised.
Speed should not be weighted that much in comparison with survival.

I think it makes sense. It was advertised as the "permadeath mode", and permadeath isn't relevant if you can just avoid deaths by playing carefully, so the idea is that you want to take risks and potentially have to deal with the consequences of things going wrong. I'm certainly going to be taking more risks for better speed points after how my first run went.

It turns out there's a downside to the cavalry twins: I mixed up Xander and Camus and ended up making my first team without a red. Was able to have everyone survive the first six maps by playing carefully, but I was screwed against Veronica. Xander came in on the second team and took her down, though, which is pretty ironic. Got B Survival and C Speed, so that level of slow, careful play definitely isn't the way to go.

Does anyone know what the turn count requirements are for the speed rankings?

6 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

Hard difficulty is extremely ridiculous (if only because of Fury Veronica). Lunatic difficulty is virtually impossible for me to clear with my current team; Tharja takes too much damage from Veronica to the point that she basically gets OHKO'd. The map's also very congested.

Also, losing the 5-battle Lunatic trial on the 5th battle gets me the same amount of points as a perfect 5-battle clear on a Hard trial (252 pts w/ 40% bonus included).

Here's my advice:

1. As you observed, pointwise it's not worth it to do anything other than lunatic. They all cost the same amount of stamina.

2. Just keep throwing units at it until you either win or run out of units. You don't have to spend any stamina or anything to continue. and the enemies constantly get weaker.

3. Abuse triangle adept and your knowledge of the units. Your first group should carry you to veronica, then switch out for a group specifically designed for her.

Example:

Leo shows up pretty much everytime, so I'll bring Ursula to one shot him. There's always a thief, so use Hector or Xander. Veronica is annoying, so bring a red unit with triangle adept, or someone with high resistance, like Lyn or Lloyd.

Edited by dragonlordsd

Just to confirm some things before I start Tempest Trials...

1. Speed is more important than Survival for points, right?
2. A "Deathless" run means not switching teams whatsoever. So, if I'm on Team A and had my M!Robin and Erika die through the gauntlet but still have Ryoma and Nino to finish the trials, then am I still good for max rank survival?
3. While a "pure single team" run is the most efficient, how much are the points affected for switching teams? I may have a filler Bonus Team that tries to get through as much as it can before bringing out my main team, and I may try building something specifically for the final map. However, since team switching hurts scores, I am hesitant to do this.

For the most part, I'm looking to earn at least 500 points a run, so I'll need 100 runs (20,000 Stamina) to get up to 50,000 pts. The orbs higher than that are just a bonus. // I also think putting Breath of Life on Nino was a good idea, even though I run her with Fury & Desperation. If only my Erika and bonus units were optimized...

14 minutes ago, Korath88 said:

Completely pointless fun fact: Unlike regular Lucina, Masked Marth has her iconic "Hope will never die" skill quote.

Bless Naga! Now they just need to add an alternate Frederick who suggests his foes to address a deity of their choice.

5 minutes ago, Sire said:

Just to confirm some things before I start Tempest Trials...

1. Speed is more important than Survival for points, right?
2. A "Deathless" run means not switching teams whatsoever. So, if I'm on Team A and had my M!Robin and Erika die through the gauntlet but still have Ryoma and Nino to finish the trials, then am I still good for max rank survival?
3. While a "pure single team" run is the most efficient, how much are the points affected for switching teams? I may have a filler Bonus Team that tries to get through as much as it can before bringing out my main team, and I may try building something specifically for the final map. However, since team switching hurts scores, I am hesitant to do this.

For the most part, I'm looking to earn at least 500 points a run, so I'll need 100 runs (20,000 Stamina) to get up to 50,000 pts. The orbs higher than that are just a bonus. // I also think putting Breath of Life on Nino was a good idea, even though I run her with Fury & Desperation. If only my Erika and bonus units were optimized...

First 2 are correct.

As for switching teams, if your filler team has a bonus unit, the extra points from that will offset the point loss from survival, though optimally you want a bonus unit on your deathless main team. (admittedly, not always possible)

9 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

Here's my advice:

1. As you observed, pointwise it's not worth it to do anything other than lunatic. They all cost the same amount of stamina.

2. Just keep throwing units at it until you either win or run out of units. You don't have to spend any stamina or anything to continue. and the enemies constantly get weaker.

3. Abuse triangle adept and your knowledge of the units. Your first group should carry you to veronica, then switch out for a group specifically designed for her.

Example:

Leo shows up pretty much everytime, so I'll bring Ursula to one shot him. There's always a thief, so use Hector or Xander. Veronica is annoying, so bring a red unit with triangle adept, or someone with high resistance, like Lyn or Lloyd.

Problems: 

None of my units besides 4* Cordelia has Triangle Adept and I have never pulled Roy or any hero that gets Triangle Adept 3 as a 4/5* hero. Ruby Sword Olivia only deals like 10 damage against Veronica on Hard mode.

I also don't have any red units that can ORKO Veronica besides Tharja but Tharja almost gets OHKO'd in return, assuming she was at full health. My Lyn and Lloyd require having a dancer backing them up and there's no guarantee that either can survive the other enemies afterwards with how cramped the map is.

Knowledge means nothing if my best options available don't cut it.

4 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

Problems: 

None of my units besides 4* Cordelia has Triangle Adept and I have never pulled Roy or any hero that gets Triangle Adept 3 as a 4/5* hero. Ruby Sword Olivia only deals like 10 damage against Veronica on Hard mode.

I also don't have any red units that can ORKO Veronica besides Tharja but Tharja almost gets OHKO'd in return, assuming she was at full health. My Lyn and Lloyd require having a dancer backing them up and there's no guarantee that either can survive the other enemies afterwards with how cramped the map is.

My only triangle adept unit is Narcian. Find a way around it.

Side note: ORKOing Veronica is more or less impossible, as she has 66 hp. That's why the devs gave her fury 3, so she loses 6 hp after every action. My main strategy is take out the two cavaliers, then the knight. Once they're gone, it's just veronica and the thief. Suicide everyone but your tank to take out veronica, then let the tank deal with the thief.

12 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

Problems: 

I can never one shot Veronica, but I've had a few deathless runs. If I can deal with the two cavs quick enough I'm usually freed up to have my Cordelia melee attack her and Tharja finish her off by the time she's getting too close to avoid her attack range.

A lot of Reposition/Draw Back is really welcome too to try and pick off her support units and then move them out Veronica's own range as she creeps forward.

8 minutes ago, Kiran said:

Does anyone know the stats for Veronica? I forgot to record them during my runs and now I'm out of stamina....

66 hp. Fury 3, Renewal 3, Savage blow 3. The new seal that reduces special charge.

Special: Bonfire

Att... 53?

Spd.... 37? 41? Something along those lines.

So I gave Tempest Trials a go and I found it to be very fun and challenging. But those rewards. They are WAY too worth the trouble.

Sadly, I'm struggling to find myself earning too many points. Would it be worth it to do the hard maps instead of the lunatic maps despite both being the same cost of stamina?

17 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

My only triangle adept unit is Narcian. Find a way around it.

Side note: ORKOing Veronica is more or less impossible, as she has 66 hp. That's why the devs gave her fury 3, so she loses 6 hp after every action. My main strategy is take out the two cavaliers, then the knight. Once they're gone, it's just veronica and the thief. Suicide everyone but your tank to take out veronica, then let the tank deal with the thief.

Managed to get a 7-battle Lunatic clear but that was only because the matchup was extremely in my favor. Draug was the armored unit that showed up, allowing Reinhardt to get an easy KO without needing to compromise his or anybody else's safety. On the next turn, Reinhardt wiped out Leo before getting Danced to safety. Then Tharja deletes Gunter. Veronica approaches, allowing Tharja to ORKO her on the following turn. Jeorge kills Tharja before I had Reinhardt clean him up.

Got a C-rank in speed though since I took way too long on one of the earlier maps.

Edited by Roflolxp54

Wow, that last map is killer.  Veronica can battle some of my reds 1v1 and win.  I'm capable of beating it, but I can already tell I'm not going to be getting any deathless runs.  I don't think I'll even be able to go without losing a team.

Just now, Roflolxp54 said:

Managed to get a 7-battle Lunatic clear but that was only because the matchup was extremely in my favor. Draug was the armored unit that showed up, allowing Reinhardt to get an easy KO without needing to compromise his or anybody else's safety. On the next turn, Reinhardt wiped out Leo before getting Danced to safety. Then Tharja deletes Gunter. Veronica approaches, allowing Tharja to ORKO her on the following turn. Jeorge kills Tharja before I had Reinhardt clean him up.

There you go! See, that wasn't too bad.

1 minute ago, dragonlordsd said:

There you go! See, that wasn't too bad.

That battle wasn't but who knows how well future battles would go; would I be lucky to face the same team? There's plenty of stuff even Reinhardt can't ORKO on Veronica's map like Sully and Gwendolyn.