Tempest Torture

Arthur97

2 minutes ago, Lushen said:

The focus heroes are just NOT fair.  I mean, because I don't use these four characters I'm pretty much screwed for one run?  It's almost like I just need to have my first team just be the focus hero and suicide, then use a real team...

Well at least the bonus heroes aren't always dead-weight. Tharja and Lucina hold up fine on their own and are a great help against Veronica. Nowi is also a decent unit with SI. Robin is the weakest of the bunch but at least he is a good red/colorless counter, made better with TA. Imagine if you had to pull along a Gwendolyn or someone similar....

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Lushen said:

The focus heroes are just NOT fair.  I mean, because I don't use these four characters I'm pretty much screwed for one run?  It's almost like I just need to have my first team just be the focus hero and suicide, then use a real team...

I agree having focus heroes for this is a bit lame. For the gauntlets it's kinda like, oh well, since at worst you miss out on some feathers for not being able to get quite as many points. But there's actually some important exclusive stuff here, plus all those juicy orbs.  I'm blessed that Tharja's been a long-time core unit for me, so she's giving me the bonus essentially for free since I'd be using her anyway.

Sounds like doing a first team surrender with a bonus unit works passably, at least.

Due to some dumb mis-math, I have realized that Tempest is heavily weighted toward speed. Obviously, the 705 from deathless A Speed is desired, but sometimes spawns aren't aren't so nice (like armours spawning on the other side of charms with no fliers on the team). A run with 7 deaths and A Speed only drops Survival to x1.15 and scores higher than a deathless B Speed run. Ergo, it can be worth playing extremely recklessly to keep the turn count low because there's significant leeway on death count.

Welp, my luck quickly ran out. Tried pulling on the Bride banner for Bride!Cordelia, got a bunch of useless fodder (save for a 4* Abel - Swordbreaker is now on Alfonse). Then I try out Tempest Trials with a different filler team (Sharena, Marth, 4* Nowi, Spring!Camilla).

First map, who am I up against? Ike, Takumi, and Linde. The map is Awakening, chapter 2.

Sometimes I wonder why I even try and hope for these things. /rant

4 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Question:

How many of us have actually found a way to reliably make it to the last round and score 500+?

Last time I got 586

I did at least. My strategy comes down to:

Mages one-round evrything!

Tharja can one round Veronica, and there's very little that can't be one rounded by her, Nino or Reinhardt. Felicia is a pain though.

3 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

I hoard mine too ;)

You're not alone in this fight! how many points do you have so far btw?

I get 300 on average each run.

At 1k.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I'm currently using Olwen-Tharja-Xander-Olivia team.
Tharja: +spd -def, fury 3, desperation 2, reciprocal aid, hone def, vengance

Olivia: Hone atk, Wings of Mercy 2

Xander: fury 3, quick riposte 2, Hone cavalry, Bonfire, Reposition

Olwen: +atk -hp, Life and Death 2, Desperation 2, Hone cavalry, Reposition, Luba

The idea is that Tharja can relatively safely get herself into desperation, then swap hp with Olwen, getting her into desperation and so on. In the long run her ability to swap HP and drain her own pool is amazing. The rest is pretty obvious: Olwen and Tharja destroy everything in desperation mode, Olivia is there to warp and dance them. Xander is kept for some extremely speedy and res-heavy units which can't be dealt with by Tharja and Olwen.
I got a relatively steady stream of 705-points games coming now. Thus i think blade- or brave- tomes + desperation are the way to go if you have them, of course. 

Edited by Avestus

Just now, shadowofchaos said:

I get 300 on average each run.

At 1k.

1k :/

Hurry up and get your points man!

I already have 4 star lucimarth!

4 minutes ago, Bartozio said:

I did at least. My strategy comes down to:

Mages one-round evrything!

Tharja can one round Veronica, and there's very little that can't be one rounded by her, Nino or Reinhardt. Felicia is a pain though.

Too bad my blue mage is Reinhardt and Celica won't stay at full HP for Ragnarok bonuses lol I tried that and it no work for me

My strat is a lot more complicated than that, and it doesn't give me deathless but it still works

15 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Question:

How many of us have actually found a way to reliably make it to the last round and score 500+?

Last time I got 586

I got 660~ on first try on luna map. Main team was sharena, nowi, julia and ryoma. A team of cecilia, celica, alm and virion killed me on stage 6 but then I summoned the 4 riders of the apocalypse and I ended their lives miserably.

Edit: no wait I have 661 currently after a normal and lunatic clear. Whoops. Score range max is 504

Edited by Quintessence

5 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

I suck compared to most of y'all.

So:

While not that many, I had 69 of them this morning, I'm now at 60 with over 3000 points in the trials. My main goal is to unlock masked Lucina as a four star. I'll admit I've just been beating the lowest map repeatedly which averages me 54 points a round, and a minimum of 200 points a potion.  I know that I could be doing the higher difficulties, but I only really have one team of level 40 units, and when they get beat on a hard map then I literally can't beat it, so I'm going for reliability and speed over higher scores. Seems to be working as I'm in the top 25,000.

34 minutes ago, Lushen said:

Running a bonus hero and surrendering immediately is a viable strategy. The 5% penalty for losing a team is minor compared to all of the other criteria, assuming you're not having trouble clearing the full run.

27 minutes ago, Kiran said:

Imagine if you had to pull along a Gwendolyn or someone similar....

Try saying that to my Gwendolyn's face.

Edited by Ice Dragon

Full Horse Emblem with a fully-SI'ed Tharja (mostly for bonus and healing) is working perfectly. Reinhardt is pulling his weight, of course, but the real MVP of this team is Raven Cecilia. With G Tomebreaker she's capable of taking out most threats, and makes seeing Olwen or Reinhardt on the final map a happy thing. 

Edited by Eridras

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

Running a bonus hero and surrendering immediately is a viable strategy. The 5% penalty for losing a team is minor compared to all of the other criteria, assuming you're not having trouble clearing the full run.

Try saying that to my Gwendolyn's face.

Try moving that hunk of armor and getting a decent speed grade. 

So I redid a run with Julia, Mist, Nowi and Ryoma. An almost deathless streak with only Nowi dying on the last stage against a Setsuna. Score was 705 pts and it was pretty easy this time with Mist around.

Also, Ryoma defiant Astra'd Veronica for a one shot whoo.

Edited by Quintessence

Well here's my plan (When you're free to play with a limited pool RIP)

Celica, Jaffar, Olivia, Serra

That team carries me to at least 4th map, and can even function well on three people as long is the one who died was either Jaffar or Celica

I did three maps in a row with just Jaffar, Serra, and Olivia. My Jaffar man is pretty cool lol

The plan is, use this bootleg team to carry me through, and then have my OP OP team with a bonus unit clean up the rest. Male Robin, Azura, Nino, and Lyn. The purpose is to get Nino into desperation range before the beginning of the last map in case the armor is Hector, as well as have her proc ready so she can one round Veronica

Pretty convoluted, and Lyn even died once but eh. It still works. Usually get 586

10 minutes ago, Kiran said:

Try moving that hunk of armor and getting a decent speed grade. 

Unless the enemy has a Draug, the enemy's legs are fast enough to just walk into me.

Haven't managed deathless yet, but I've gotten over 600 now. It's nice how you can pretty freely sacrifice units on the final battle without worrying about score penalties as long as it helps you clear it, although I didn't need that on my last run because Olivia+Xander is pretty great at taking down Veronica. Interestingly, despite this being advertised as bringing in the permadeath aspect from the traditional FEs, it actually ends up playing less like how traditional FE games are typically played. In the others, losing a unit means you typically redo the battle because you "failed", and the consequences are often the same here: whether you're going for a deathless arena run, or a GHB, or certain quests, a character dying often means you failed and have to try again, whereas here, you keep going.

Current setup is Marth/m!Robin/Anna/Lissa for lead team with Xander/Reinhardt/Hector/Olivia in reserve, to save all my best characters for taking out Veronica. My plan was to include Priscilla over Olivia in the second team if it'd have to get brought in too early, but it might be better to instead have a full second "weak" team to bring in for those cases to ensure that the A-team can make it to the final battle uninjured. Means even less likelihood of a perfect survival clear if it comes up, but it's a lot safer than risking having to finish things up without them.

Well, my poor run has given me benefits in the name of science! Why must life be such an emotion rollercoaster...

Anyways, I lost two teams (Team Filler Bonus and NotOptimizedHorseEmblem) before doing my tried and true combo. The good news is, getting C rank in both Survival and Speed will still net me 560 points if doing a full clear. This is just 116 points lower than my previous run, 676 (Speed "A", Survival "B").

So, just try to run teams that can clear maps quickly. If they can survive, that is a bonus,  but the speed multiplier is far more valuable than the survival one. I screwed up my Speed rating because I had one map (Arena Ferox? The one with the breakable walls in the middle) where I spent far too much time positioning my units. I lost anyway but NotOptimizedHorseEmblem.

Base Score: 40 // Maps Cleared: x7 (7/7)
Speed: x1.30 (C) || 1.50 if A // 1.40 if B
Survival: x1.10 (C) || 1.20 if A // 1.15 if B
Bonus Ally: x1.4

Total Score: 560

With my tried and true core of Lucina/Julia/Reinhardt/Azura, deathless is pretty easy on the hardest gauntlet now. I still have mishaps every now and then, but the core is solid. I have to sacrifice units on Veronica's map most of the time, but it doesn't matter. I have beaten Veronica deathless once, but it's basically RNG, and my Julia has to be at high health.

And wow, Masked Marth doesn't even come with Aether, just her sword...

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

So, uh, got a real bad hard-counter team that killed my Lissa on map 4 because Nino needed to somehow kill all three targets (Eirika wasn't fast enough to double Raven to death, and charged Moonbow was enough for a one-shot and Nowi was just not gonna cut it against double greens and a Reinhardt who could one-round her). Limped all the way to the finish with almost just the remaining trio, so I had to play super cautiously. End result was a somewhat plodding turn count and 2 deaths, yet... A Survival and A Speed. This criteria's pretty loose.