Skill Inheritance for Roy - Opinions(obviously) Needed

SoulWeaver

Skill Inheritance for Roy - Opinions(obviously) Needed  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Battle Skill for Roy?

• Sacrifice Lyn for GaleForce
    • Sacrifice Lucina for Aether
    • Sacrifice Nobody to keep Noontime
    • Other(please specify for me with a comment)
  2. 2. A Skill for Roy?

• Darting Blow(Current)
    • Distant Counter(Will require me to pull Hector)
    • Other(please specify for me with comment)
  3. 3. B Skill for Roy?

• Vantage(Current)
    • Swordbreaker(Will require me to pull…whoever has Swordbreaker)
    • Other(please specify for me with comment)
  4. 4. C Skill for Roy?

• Breath of Life(Current)
    • Renewal(Will require me to pull…whoever has Renewal)
    • Other(please specify for me with a comment)

So I know you're all tired of seeing people ask about what sets they should use for their Units in this game, but what the hey, I'll make you guys suffer through one more for Our Boi.

First off, please try not to freak out that I'm suggesting Sacking Lyn, Lucina, or Hector so I can make my Roy better. Yes, I am aware that those three were given better Skills, Weapons, and such than Roy, but I don't want to play Lyn, Lucina, or Hector, who I'd have to go pull before I could not use him willingly, I want to play Roy, Sakura, Camilla/Narcian, and Cordelia(who has unfortunately been avoiding me in preference of my cousins so I'm forced to use Takumi instead for the time being). Yeah, RIP no Unit Trading so I can't just go give up Lyn/Lucina/Sanaki/Lilina/etc. to one of you guys for either version of Cordelia.

My Roy currently has access to a Brave Blade or Killing Edge in addition to the Binding Blade, so if one of those other swords would be more useful than the SoS here, do let me know. I found I hated Triangle Adept as it never did anything good for me in the Sword-Heavy world of Heroes and changed it for Darting Blow, originally in an attempt to offset the Speed reduction that the Brave Blade forces on you so I could double foes for four hits, but now just because I don't really know any better A Skills besides Distant Counter, which won't happen unless I should somehow manage to draw a Hector. Roy's B Skill is currently Vantage 2, and I'm trying to either find someone who has Vantage 3 so I can go that route or find someone with Swordbreaker so I can deal with the Sword-Heavy game. I didn't have any ideas for the C Skill and just gave him Breath of Life for now, since the only other Skill I can think of to add is Renewal, which seems kind of counterproductive should I keep the Vantage route.

So yeah, I'd very much appreciate any help you guys might have to offer in making my copy of Our Boi as epic as possible, particularly seeing as how he's going to be the only Unit I ever use for the Voting Gauntlet.

…ALSO SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHERE I CAN FIX MY SIGNATURE BECAUSE I FORGOT AND CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT

Edited by SoulWeaver

I resisted giving Roy Tri Adept for a long while because I thought it sucked, but when I finally did it worked very nicely for him. Give it to him. Distant Counter might not be awful in conjunction with Binding Blade's defensive bonus though, if you have a good defensive IV.

Swordbreaker is probably best as a B to increase coverage.

C skill depends of team (I gave mine Threaten Speed to go with that Seal Defense but that's not optimal in this ORKO happy meta).

For Special I'm pretty happy with Iceberg. Aether and Galeforce have too long Countdown for Roy I think.

Distant counter is optimal, but obviously you wouldn't want to sacrifice your only Hector. If you get two hectors give him DC, but otherwise go Triangle Adept or Fury. B skill, if you have DC go for Quick Riposte, if not try Swordbreaker or just keep Vantage if that's your cup of tea. (By the by, at 4* Fae gets Renewal 3.) C skill, probably go for Threaten Attack. At least, that's what I'd do.

Others have already mentioned the other thread that this should've been put in.

Some extra info would be nice too. What's his nature?

There's other threads you should ask in, but Rofl already directed to those.

Definitely advise against Galeforce or Aether. Neither are really worth bothering to inherit and it seems like a huge waste of a Lucina when Aether's not even that good on him. Similarly Distant Counter seems good but since you don't have a Hector, let alone a spare, laying around to give it already I wouldn't worry about it too bad for now.

I'd suggest Fury for the A slot to increase his already good bulk and help his attack and speed at the same time. His Triangle Adept is alright too if you really need him to be taking out greens specifically, but Fury will give him more good matchups overall.

The B slot with Swordbreaker helps net him kills on sword units he'd otherwise not get.(you can get it cheapest from a 4* Abel, by the way) I personally think Seal skills + threaten skills is a fun combo, but being objective about it it's usually not as helpful as I'd like it to be. If you mainly want him to be an enemy phase unit and take hits first Quick Riposte is fine too. Vantage is ok, but without Distant Counter I think it's a lot less useful for him. Almost all the units that run Vantage do so because they can counter at any range. Even with DC on Roy, Quick Riposte might be a bit better, but I'm not sure.

For the C slot I'd go with Threaten Speed, or a buff skill for your teammates if you want that instead. Debuffing the enemy with -5 spd before engaging helps him out in quite a few matchups.

It seems like a toss up for Moonbow or Iceberg as his special skill. When Iceberg is primed, it'll get him a few more wins, but it usually won't be ready until after his first round of combat. Moonbow will be more consistent in comparison. I think it'll depend more on your taste and how offensive you are with him.

Edited by Alkaid

Roy.

Special: Moonbow. - It's just the best and he doesn't have high enough def or res for bonfire/iceberg

A Skill: Triangle Adapt. - He comes with it and it works on him. Don't fight blue's and go wreck mages who try their best.

B skill: Swordbreaker - Makes him great vs all green's and all sword reds which are a LOT of the cast. Vantage is tbh good too.

C skill: Hone/Spur Atk/Spd - Pick whichever you don't have on your other members of your party yet.

I would go with one of two sets:

Set A: 

Spoiler
  • Weapon: Binding Blade
  • Assist: Reposition/Swap
  • Special: Luna
  • A-slot: Fury
  • B-slot: Swordbreaker
  • C-slot: Hone/Fortify/Spur skill for teammates

Set B:

Spoiler
  • Weapon: Binding Blade
  • Assist: Swap/Reposition
  • Special: Luna
  • A-slot: Distant Counter
  • B-slot: Quick Riposte
  • C-slot: Hone/Fortify/Spur skill for teammates

Set B is better overall but also more expensive while Set A is perfectly reasonable for the average F2P's resources. 

Edited by MaskedAmpharos

Your characters' builds largely depend on your playstyle. I focus on builds that kill the highest number of enemies and then move the unit out of enemy range with Dance, Sing, Reposition, or Swap.

Weapon: Brave Sword+
Special: Luna
A: Life and Death 3
B: Swordbreaker 3
C: Threaten Def 3

The above build has 96 wins, 9 losses, and 29 draws when initiating battles against neutral enemy units. C slot does not really matter, and what you use depends on your team. I picked Threaten Def 3 so Roy can kill a few more enemies if they wonder into his debuff range.

If you want something bulkier and do not like positioning skills, you can switch out Life and Death 3 for Fury 3 and Brave Sword+ for Binding Blade. However, his offensive potential becomes a bit lackluster.