Just got this game and I like it a lot so far.

10 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

And also, I forgot to mentioned that Lukas is actually the first Soldier unit and the first playable Soldier unit that appeared in the entire franchise. Soldiers does promote to Knight, which Knights is a promoted class in Gaiden & Echoes: Shadows of Valentia and it's third tier class is the Baron. Barons did reappeared in Genealogy of the Holy War and Thracia 776 as enemy only classes.

I noticed Lukas was the first Soldier. I could tell. :P

5 hours ago, Tamanoir said:

Lukas stay rerelevant untl the end of the game on Alm's route, so you can look forward to this, at least.

For me Gaiden/Echoes is kinda like Genealogy : It's not that hard, but it's so different compared to the other games on the series, it takes some time to get used to.

My main advice would be not to rush things. Observe ennemies' ranges, terrain effect, and take your time.

Weapons and Shield can give you some special skills, so dn't hesitate to use them when necessary. 

99% of the bosses does move, so be carefull about that too. (Notably in the end of Part 1, when you can be destroyed if unprepared.)

Oh yeah, I never rush into FE maps. lol

1 hour ago, ShadowGuy1 said:

I am going to give you this tip now. If your main focus is for completing the story, promote ASAP. Gaining levels in Echoes psot level 10 is substantially harder than in other games which means if you don't grind, you would likely have not fully promote units by the end of Act 3/4. Post game is slightly different (if you get dlc you should be fine cause overclasses) as gaining the stats is very important and waiting for level 20/20 is best for units. So if you focus on the main campaign, promote asap (when the message that your unit can promote appears), and if you want to focus for the post game, I would grind to level 20(however you are playing on normal so you might be fine promoting asap for the post game)

Right, gotcha.

Thanks for the tips, guys.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a few more pointers about the leveling and EXP, and forgive me if these have been mentioned before, I don't really feel like reading an entire thread rn.

It's already been stated, but it can't hurt to be reiterated. Promote ASAP. EXP gains past Lv.10 are atrocious, and I mean like 9 EXP per kill.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned: Don't bench anybody. Even if you already have 3 units in the same class, the game lets you deploy everybody in your army on every map except for dungeons (into which you can bring 10 units). There's really no reason not to use everybody. Even if somebody is getting RNG screwed, this promotion system negates that a bit because promotion will bring a unit's stats up to about the average for their class if they are suffering in a specific stat. Gaiden/Echoes also helps out units that really struggle at base, group EXP and this game's promotion bonuses help a lot, and hell, there's even infinite grinding and dungeon crawling, so they can catch up real quick if you need them to. Additionally, your units will, for the most part, be dealing a lot less damage to enemies than in previous games, and ORKO'ing is really rare until mid-late game without Crits or effective weapons, so you'll often need two or three units to gang up on tougher enemies like Dread Fighters and Gold Knights, so really the more the merrier in this game.

Edited by Wayward Alchemist

9 minutes ago, Wayward Alchemist said:

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned: Don't bench anybody. Even if you already have 3 units in the same class, the game lets you deploy everybody in your army on every map except for dungeons (into which you can bring 10 units). There's really no reason not to use everybody. Even if somebody is getting RNG screwed, this promotion system negates that a bit because promotion will bring a unit's stats up to about the average for their class if they are suffering in a specific stat. Additionally, your units will, for the most part, be dealing a lot less damage to enemies than in previous games, and ORKO'ing is really rare until mid-late game without Crits or effective weapons, so you'll often need two or three units to gang up on tougher enemies like Dread Fighters and Gold Knights, so really the more the merrier in this game.

There is an exception to this, which is on Witch-heavy maps. Witches are very likely to warp and target units that have strayed from the main group or the ones sitting near the edges of your formations. Not deploying units useless for the map can help reduce this risk, especially if they can get ORKOed by the Witches.

4 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

There is an exception to this, which is on Witch-heavy maps. Witches are very likely to warp and target units that have strayed from the main group or the ones sitting near the edges of your formations. Not deploying units useless for the map can help reduce this risk, especially if they can get ORKOed by the Witches.

Witch AI is super easy to manipulate, though. Just cluster your low-res units together and have a Res tank sit outside the main group, and for some dumb reason they'll ignore the sitting ducks and go for your Dread Fighter anyway. And if you're worried that your Barons will get left in the dust and get picked off, just bait the witches on Turn One.

Just now, Wayward Alchemist said:

Witch AI is super easy to manipulate, though. Just cluster your low-res units together and have a Res tank sit outside the main group, and for some dumb reason they'll ignore the sitting ducks and go for your Dread Fighter anyway. And if you're worried that your Barons will get left in the dust and get picked off, just bait the witches on Turn One.

I'm mostly talking about the chapters that have bosses who can summon other Witches, or Sonya's map. Other maps usually just have one or two Witches and it doesn't matter.

7 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I'm mostly talking about the chapters that have bosses who can summon other Witches, or Sonya's map. Other maps usually just have one or two Witches and it doesn't matter.

Ohhhhhh, yeah, those are different. Especially Sonya's map, because at least the Witch summons usually have atrocious stats (and often have Thunder which brings their attack speed close to nil) and you can just kill the boss to despawn them.

in the topic of quotes, just wait until you get atlas! He has some of the coolest and funniest quotes i have ever seen!

Best one is probably his level up quote.

"I can read where they'll strike next! Er... probably."

These witches can just warp anywhere they want on the map and attack? Their movement range is unlimited here? That seems a bit unfair. :/

But thanks for telling me, I don't think I would've known right away that they do this.

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

These witches can just warp anywhere they want on the map and attack? Their movement range is unlimited here? That seems a bit unfair. :/

But thanks for telling me, I don't think I would've known right away that they do this.

Their AI can be pretty dumb sometimes. I've had a few bascially suicide to my archers before.

Anyway, when and where they decide to wrap is pretty random, and if worst comes to show, and they end up killing one of your units, you can always just use Miles Turnwheel.

10 hours ago, Elincia said:

Their AI can be pretty dumb sometimes. I've had a few bascially suicide to my archers before.

Anyway, when and where they decide to wrap is pretty random, and if worst comes to show, and they end up killing one of your units, you can always just use Miles Turnwheel.

Okay, I guess they might not be that bad then. And yeah, true.

So, I'm at the fight in Zofia Castle. Anything I should know before going into this? It looks kind of tough, what with there being an armor guy and strong-looking cav with him. I assume I should use Kliff and his magic to deal with the former, but yeah.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Okay, I guess they might not be that bad then. And yeah, true.

So, I'm at the fight in Zofia Castle. Anything I should know before going into this? It looks kind of tough, what with there being an armor guy and strong-looking cav with him. I assume I should use Kliff and his magic to deal with the former, but yeah.

The map its self isn't too bad, just try not to keep your more vulnerable units in range of all the archers. 

You'll have 2 bosses for this map (only one needs to be taken down though) Desaix will be pretty difficult to take down, as he has a dracoshield, which is instead an equitable item rather than a stat booster in this game, and it greatly increases his def and res, so if you fight him, you'll basically just be doing 1 point of damage for every attack (though it is possible to beat him and get his dracoshield). If you dont have the patience to take down Desaix just go after Slayde (he's the paladin that you encountered in the prologue) he's way easier.

You're talking about Desaix with the Dracoshield right? He is actually totally optional here, beat Slayde (the Paladin) and he retreats. Desaix's Defense and Resistance are both too massive thanks to the shield to deal anything more than chip damage to without extreme grinding. But if you do beat him, you get the Dracoshield, which is very heavy, yet it also offers giant defensive boosts and +5 HP per turn.

While the Dracoshield is good (but not amazing due to the Spd loss and no Atk boost), the amount of grinding needed to get it makes it generally not worth it- the grinding alone will break things for a while. Plus, you can get another Dracoshield (again optionally- except this time it requires only some brainpower, experimenting, and a bit of strategy) much later. And it's possible technically get infinite Dracoshields- but that'd require a lot of luck.

1 minute ago, Elincia said:

The map its self isn't too bad, just try not to keep your more vulnerable units in range of all the archers. 

You'll have 2 bosses for this map (only one needs to be taken down though) Desaix will be pretty difficult to take down, as he has a dracoshield, which is instead an equitable item rather than a stat booster in this game, and it greatly increases his def and res, so if you fight him, you'll basically just be doing 1 point of damage for every attack (though it is possible to beat him and get his dracoshield). If you dont have the patience to take down Desaix just go after Slayde (he's the paladin that you encountered in the prologue) he's way easier.

Oh, alright, thanks. I would've probably gone for Desaix since armors were always so weak to magic in the past. I probably would've screwed myself. xP

19 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Oh, alright, thanks. I would've probably gone for Desaix since armors were always so weak to magic in the past. I probably would've screwed myself. xP

It's totally doable, but again the Dracoshield is ehhhh because it eats your speed. However, if you wanted to style on the map, you just have to get Slayde on low HP so he starts trying to run away to the Supplies and then have literally everybody in your army dogpile Desaix and chip him down 2 HP at a time with every attacker.

Edit: Here's a video that explains it way better than I can, it goes step-by-step and has visuals to back it up.

https://youtu.be/Yj3ycEJAyZE

Thanks, but I already finished the map and just made Desaix retreat. So I'm at Act 2 now and said hi to Celica. :P

Also, I don't see a video in your post anyway?

Edited by Anacybele

I also forgot to mentioned that, give Genny 2 Speeds from the Sacred Springs that might help her get the Nosferatsu spell hit the enemies. Also, for battling against the Necrodragon at the Seabound Shrine, you need to get Celica at level 5 so that she can use the Sephriam spell and the Sephriam spell would be effective against Terrors.

2 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

I also forgot to mentioned that, give Genny 2 Speeds from the Sacred Springs that might help her get the Nosferatsu spell hit the enemies. Also, for battling against the Necrodragon at the Seabound Shrine, you need to get Celica at level 5 so that she can use the Sephriam spell and the Sephriam spell would be effective against Terrors.

Speed have no influence on hit%... only support helps.
Besides Genny shouldn't really be fighting, and Healers are pretty easy to train anyway

Boosting Beoy's speed is more usefull IMO. He have hard trouble doubling ennemies. It's abolutely not ,necessary, but he's the one who needs it the most early on.

6 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Thanks, but I already finished the map and just made Desaix retreat. So I'm at Act 2 now and said hi to Celica. :P

Also, I don't see a video in your post anyway?

Sorry, meant to put that in the word "Here" but neglected to do so lmao

Additionally, I'd argue that the Spd boosts are most valuable on Celica. I myself have Bowey the Spd boosts because I just wanted to use him, but his Spd still wasn't stellar with Fire and it didn't grow all that much. Mae gets along fine without the Speed, but I've seen a ton of Spd screwed Celicas for some reason, including my own, and Celica is really important and can be a great unit with her spell list.

1 minute ago, Wayward Alchemist said:

Oh. lol :P

Celica to lv. 5, okay. That should eventually happen regardless, but if it's really handy at a certain point, that's good to know.

Btw, that Arcanist from the final Act 1 battle was just fricken scary looking. Wtf man...

35 minutes ago, Wayward Alchemist said:

Additionally, I'd argue that the Spd boosts are most valuable on Celica. I myself have Bowey the Spd boosts because I just wanted to use him, but his Spd still wasn't stellar with Fire and it didn't grow all that much. Mae gets along fine without the Speed, but I've seen a ton of Spd screwed Celicas for some reason, including my own, and Celica is really important and can be a great unit with her spell list.

i'd second that giving spring stats to boey is probably best if you want to use him. i got rather frustrated with his lack of speed in the early chapters while mae was doubling alot with no issue, Celica already has other pros (like her sick growth rates in attack) so i'd argue that she doesn't really need the bonus stats as much.

2 hours ago, Hamtier said:

i'd second that giving spring stats to boey is probably best if you want to use him. i got rather frustrated with his lack of speed in the early chapters while mae was doubling alot with no issue, Celica already has other pros (like her sick growth rates in attack) so i'd argue that she doesn't really need the bonus stats as much.

I'm probably just sour because my Celi was stuck at 14 Speed at endgame even after giving her at least one Pegasus Cheese.