My opinion on Echoes Shadoes of Valentia units

So I beat Echoes Shadows of Valentia and I feel that for 3/4 of the game, units are scarce. But some of them I think are Great!

Amazing: Dread fighter Tobin, Kamui, and Saber, Sage Kliff, Alm and Celica (duh), and Mathilda.

Great: Bow Knight Leon, and Python, Saint Faye, Gold Knight Grey and Clive, Paladin Conrad

and then the rest are for you because I can't think, I missed out on some units, or I havent used units enough to know. But last one

Absolutely terrible: Jesse (xD)

Yeah units can be scarce playing through, it provided some cool challenges at least xD

For me my amazing units were Saber, Alm, Celica and Mathilda like you, and also Palla, Sonya and Archer Kliff.

Great: Mae, Clair, Saint Faye, Leon, Boey and Clive (in that order) - My Boey has been RNG blessed with amazing speed thank Anna the Goddess!

Terrible: Python, Forsyth, Jesse and Normah xD

Everyone else has been average for me~

I haven't beaten it yet, but I'm nearing the end with all units except Mycen on my team.

Amazing: Alm, Saber, Kamui (boy never got only one stat in a lvl up), Lukas, Merc Gray, Sonya, Catria, Forsyth (reclassed into merc), Genny

Disfunctional: Clive, Python, Atlas

Jesse wasn't terrible to me. He had potential, but Kamui and Saber fill the merc role way earlier and much better than him.

1 hour ago, Noma9 said:

I'm surprised people are saying Jesse is terrible. He's a bit behind since he joined later, but he's doing quite well for me. 

I don't think he's terrible. It's just that you get two capable Mercs before him and he joins bringing pretty much nothing new.

Yeah, Jesse just falls behind if you don't train him to be on par with Saber and Kamui. Even then he's got nothing above them.

Mine also died so he was a bit behind by the time I revived him. It was within he same dungeon, but he still missed out on exp from Entombed than other units got instead.

I see. I mean, I kinda field like, all the mercs so his redundancy doesn't bother me so much; in my army he's just another good guy with a Brave Sword, tearing shit up with Saber and Kamui. His arrival (plus making Atlas a merc because I had no idea what else to do with him) did make me pass on Deen though. Worked out well because Sonya is easily one of my best units, period.

It's hard to rate every unit for me since I didn't promote all the villagers to each possible class. I can only tell about classes so far.
The most intimidating classes for me are dread fighters and magic users (especially sages) with magic ring.
Dread fighters are bulky, very fast, have high movement and good resistance (taking halve damage to magic) which is very uncommon due to the ridiculous low resistance growth in this game. Saber is most likely the best, but Jesse and Kamui are pretty good too.
Sages and priestess with the magic ring equipped are amazing to take out knights and dark magic users without taking counterdamage. Sages are bit better than priestesses because they can counterattack from two range in EP. Cliff, Mae and Delthea are excellent magic users.
Archers have the same range actually but unfortunately bows are incredibly inaccurate thanks to the stupid terrain boost in indoor maps. Actually it's even my least favorite class.
Also fliers are pretty great like in most other parts. However only Clair really covers all the important stats this class needs. Palla is strong, but slow. Catria is fast, but tends to be a bit weaker than Clair with lower luck. Est joins really late although her growths are respectable. Still her base strength is very low so she definitely needs a forged lance and stat boost to become useful early on.
Gold Knight is an amazing class too.
Clerics are very important too. Skills like invoke for the final boss or fortify are absolute appreciated.

Honestly the only really bad units for me were Boey (worst magic user), Clive and each knight aside of Luka because they tend to get doubled by witches later on which is really REALLY bad.

Trash units:

Forsyth: Unlike Lukas he doesn't get to do anything.

Python: His bases are garbage, archers are unnecessary in Alm's route.

Boey: Slow, weak, awful enemy phase because he is a mage, no Seraphim.

Clive: Kliff, Mathilda, and Zeke are all better than him.

Est: Terrible join time. Even with a Blessed Lance monsters kill her ass.

Nomah: I forgot he was in the game. His stats stink.

Jesse: Est with a sword.

Mage!Kliff: If you tell me he is good I am going to send you a pizza roll in the mail.

Edited by L9999

My best units so far (I'm on chapter 4) have definitely been: Mathilda - she basically just slaughters everyone, Genny - best  and strongest Saint, Sonya, Saint Faye, Clair, Atlas (he's killing as a bow knight and he has so much speed he pretty much doubles anyone in my game), Forsyth - just a solid tank, and Mae

Pretty much everyone else is good or average, the only ones which have been weak for me are: Python (a shame), Bow Knight Tobin (too slow and fragile), Nomah and Catria (she honestly just hasn't been doing much good for me and pretty much never crits even though she has the lucky ring- think I just got RNGscrewed a bit.)

All dreadfigthers with the exception of Jesse(who never reached that phase) turned out great. They had great defense, dodged a lot of attacks and often got criticals. Jesse was allright though. Give him a brave sword and he can handle himself. 

Lucas had a big weakness to magic but aside from that he tanked pretty much every attack thrown at him. He always remained really useful to guard chokepoints out lure enemies in. 

The mages started out great and were useful for a long time but I feel that unless they had Seriphan their use started to decline a little in endgame. At least they could heal though and the mage ring ensured they could still have uses from a long distance. I was pretty fond of my tactic of having them share the mage ring with each other so I could bombard enemies from afar.

Tatiana has Fortify which made her insanely useful. 

Python is just absolute garbage though. I can't recall a single situation where he was of use. He never does a lot of damage, is to frail to train will and he misses even more shots than a regular archer. I had assumed Forsyth was just as bad but upon promotion he can be handy, fulfilling Lucas role decently enough. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

With is high speed and luck, Jesse is basically the only unit who can dodge reliably without support bonuses. Except maybe Catria but she can't use terrain. Anyway, I gave him a silver sword and he almost never gets hit when he uses his arts.

16 minutes ago, Enaluxeme said:

With is high speed and luck, Jesse is basically the only unit who can dodge reliably without support bonuses. Except maybe Catria but she can't use terrain. Anyway, I gave him a silver sword and he almost never gets hit when he uses his arts.

Can you dodge in this game?!

The only one I feel compelled to disagree with is Sage Kliff as amazing. Out of both parties he turned out to be my worst mage, because everyone else was much better than him. I used him all the time in the main story because initially I felt he was a good unit to have, but I later only had him on my team because he was with me from the start. Now that I'm at the endgame, I've dropped him from my team, because he's a very subpar unit for me, as a mage/sage... And yet I know that if/when I start my lunatic run I'll make him a mage all over again, because it seems the most fitting, and I like giving units their most fitting classes.

Anyway, as I don't feel like making a tier list of how good characters were for me, I'll just say that Delthea was top tier, and leave it at that.

On Celica's route my best units were hands down Atlas and Saber with everyone else being good units. I had a lot of fun with Jenny's invoke/mist spell, I liked using these guys as bait. Boey and Mae were both good units the only units I didn't really use were the pegasus. While Jesse was not as good as Saber or Atlas I found his recruitment conversation hilarious and I kind of liked his rookie, greenhorn mercenary kind of character.

On Alm's route just about everybody was a good unit Clive became a powerhouse however the ONLY reason why he did is because I gave him the villager's fork otherwise he's unfortunately not so good. Python and Robin as bowknights were very useful at sniping mages and witches, Cliff and Mathilda were great cavaliers especially since they could bait out mages if I wanted Grey destroyed almost anything he faced, Faye was an awesome mage. There wasn't really anyone I didn't or couldn't use except for Delthea, I didn't feel like putting in the work to get her caught up to everyone else and I liked Luthier's personality better.

Fun fact: If you don't recruit the Pegasus sisters until AFTER you get Est they respond as though they had already approached you and you had denied their assistance. I found this kind of funny.