Any heavy metal listeners on this site

Elincia

If so what are your preferred sub genres?

My personal favorites are death metal, thrash, and metalcore. But I do enjoy a bit of deathcore from time to time as well.

Melodic death metal(IE Kalmah, pre-Reroute In Flames, At the Gates, etc.)  has been my favorite for a few years now. Mathcore, progressive metal, and old school thrash/speed metal are up there, too.

Oh yeah, and Baroness has been easing me into sludge metal.

Edited by Slumber

• 2 weeks later...

Yas, metal is the best. My all-time favourite is Blind Guardian. I don't know much about labels, but personally I'd call them symphonic metal. They incorporate many classical instruments. Then of course Medieval Metal like In Extremo, Subway to Sally and I love me some Pirate and Viking Metal, like Alestorm and Turisas.

Btw, the new Alestorm CD is out and it's AWESOME. I can't stop listening to it. <3

My favorite is, by far, NWOBHM, which is not a genre per se but includes my favorite acts, though I also like thrash. But I haven't dug deeper into the whole genre, which is something I need to do when I have some time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2017 at 8:31 PM, Skynstein said:

My favorite is, by far, NWOBHM, which is not a genre per se but includes my favorite acts, though I also like thrash. But I haven't dug deeper into the whole genre, which is something I need to do when I have some time.

I see you are a man of culture as well. 

I used to listen many sub-genres of metal on my early days. But now I just stick to the classics and other types of music like rap and cumbia.  But when I loved to death metal, my favorite ones were Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Slayer, Dimmu Borgir, Messuga, Immortal, and other black and death metal bands. 

Now, I'm just that guy who says, hey, that metal band sounds nice...

• 1 month later...

Metalhead here when I''m not listening to kpop

I enjoy heavy, viking, power, thrash, speed metal mostly

I only like a few bands of Death and sub-variants

I don't like black metal, aside from early Cradle of Filth albums

My favorite metal band ever is Pantera

I am a big fan of classic hard rock/heavy metal, probably my favorite kind of music period. I'm a particularly big fan of bands like AC DC, Queen, Lead Zeppelin, KISS, and Metallica to name a few. Also as a side recommendation(and since we're on a video game forum) if you haven't heard the soundtrack of Guilty Gear Xrd you have not lived! I'll add a few links here too it: 

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely a metalhead. Not super fond of Death/Black Metal or Metalcore/Deathcore, though.

Favorite genres are Thrash and New Wave Of British Heavy Metal (it technically counts so hush).

Favorite bands are (in no particular order aside from Iron Maiden being #1) Iron Maiden, Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica, Motorhead (RIP Lemmy ;w; ), Testament, and Rob Zombie/White Zombie.

18 hours ago, Garland Chaos said:

Definitely a metalhead. Not super fond of Death/Black Metal or Metalcore/Deathcore, though.

Favorite genres are Thrash and New Wave Of British Heavy Metal (it technically counts so hush).

Favorite bands are (in no particular order aside from Iron Maiden being #1) Iron Maiden, Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica, Motorhead (RIP Lemmy ;w; ), Testament, and Rob Zombie/White Zombie.

I'll always love Motorhead. 

Lemmy was the first(And practically the only) musician to blend punk rock and metal together in an appealing fashion. Then metalcore came along and pretty much ruined the entire concept. Not that metalcore is all awful, but man. That genre killed metal in the mainstream. 

Black Sabbath is the only heavy metal band I can think of off the top of my head that I listen to frequently.  Even then, I haven't listened to any of their post-Ozzy material.  Iron Maiden and Judas Priest are pretty good too.

My tastes really just comprise general 70s-80s era rock 'n' roll.  My favorite overall band (not distinguishing between metal and everything else) is Journey, though I'm more partial to their Rolie-era stuff.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

4 hours ago, Slumber said:

Then metalcore came along and pretty much ruined the entire concept. Not that metalcore is all awful, but man. That genre killed metal in the mainstream. 

I love old school metalcore like Killswitch Engage, All That Remain (the old stuff, they're new stuff is kinda meh), As I lay Dying, etc.. the subgenre kinda went down when the emo scene started to get mixed in with it.

Edited by Elincia

1 hour ago, Elincia said:

I love old school metalcore like Killswitch Engage, All That Remain (the old stuff, they're new stuff is kinda meh), As I lay Dying, etc.. the subgenre kinda went down when the emo scene start to get mixed in with it.

I used to be down with All That Remains and As I Lay Dying(As well as Unearth and It Dies Today), but aside from Himsa, Every Time I Die and Darkest Hour, my interest in those bands died pretty much as soon as I finished middle school. However, Himsa, Every Time I Die and Darkest Hour had something else going for them that the more... I guess "stereotypical" metalcore bands was that Himsa was heavily influenced by trash, Every Time I Die was a rare metalcore band that leaned much more towards the punk rock side of things, and Darkest Hour was heavily inspired by melodic death metal.

I'm actually kind of interested to see what those older metalcore bands did, because from what I remember, Unearth's more recent stuff was more thrash and melodeath than metalcore. I mean, revisiting As I Lay Dying would be interesting just because of the lead singer's arrest trying to get a hitman to kill his wife.

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

I mean, revisiting As I Lay Dying would be interesting just because of the lead singer's arrest trying to get a hitman to kill his wife.

Lol, yeah, it's ironic considering how 'Christian' the lead singer was. The band unfortunately died with his arrest. The remaining band members instead went on to form the band Wovenwar. 

1 minute ago, Elincia said:

Lol, yeah, it's ironic considering how 'Christian' the lead singer was. The band unfortunately died with his arrest. The remaining band members instead went on to form the band Wovenwar. 

I should probably check them out, since they also seemed to go the more traditional/accepted metal route like Unearth.

But yeah, that was another weird thing about metal/mallcore. It attracted a lot of Christian artists.

• 2 weeks later...

I CANT BELIEVE I MISSED THIS THREAD OH MY GOD

yeah, i listen to a fuckton of metal. name a band, i've probably listened to it. right now i'm listening to mostly atmospheric black metal, blackened death metal, and a lot of djent

but really i'll listen to any metal i fucking love every genre

On 23/08/2017 at 5:58 PM, Von Ithipathachai said:

Black Sabbath is the only heavy metal band I can think of off the top of my head that I listen to frequently.  Even then, I haven't listened to any of their post-Ozzy material.  Iron Maiden and Judas Priest are pretty good too.

My tastes really just comprise general 70s-80s era rock 'n' roll.  My favorite overall band (not distinguishing between metal and everything else) is Journey, though I'm more partial to their Rolie-era stuff.

You should listen to the Dio era tracks. IMO they're even better than Ozzy's! :D

What can I say? Even though I've already posted on this thread, it's always worth mentioning I like pretty much everything Rob Halford and RJD have ever sung, except for Judas Priest's first album which was horribly derivative, but that wasn't Halford's fault anyway.

On the thrash side, Slayer is my favorite act by far.

not a huge metal fan past the 80s/90s. i'm another one of those classics guys.

sabbath, priest, maiden, rainbow. stuff like that. i also listen to bands that imitate that sound: the sword, freedom hawk, samsara blues experiment, etc.

i like slow, heavy stuff mostly. priest and maiden are exceptions (and a couple other bands from the 70s/80s/90s).

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of classic stuff. Sabbath, Metallica, Megadeth, Judas, Motörhead. Im really not all that well versed in the various sub genres, but also listen to Rob Zombie, Disturbed, Dragonforce. Also been expanding out some into a few newer bands, none I can name off the top of my head though.

I'm not sure how well accepted Baby Metal is but I kind of like it in an odd way. It's odd hearing the cheery happy Japanese girl voices behind stuff that sounds like Metallica, but it definitely turned out better than I thought it would. Not sure what happened there, but I kind of like it.