Is Kamui (Echoes) related to the Chon'sin? And a few other things with Awakening and its world.

I was thinking if Kamui is related to the people of Chon'sin like Say'ri and especially Yen'fay because of their squinty eyes. Kamui is a Japanese name and the Chon'sin are based on the Japanese. Chon'sin is in Valm but I dunno where to be exact but let's say it's somewhere Kamui had disappeared in Valm (unclear if he's in Valentia or elsewhere) and settle down for some kind of desire because maybe he got tired of the good life in the kingdom that Jesse had made in Greith's territory. He might have wanted to do something for his hometown or his family. Kamui isn't the only one of his kind so it can be that Chon'sin became a country of its own that was from the hometown of Kamui and his family or the other tribe that beated his family out in the business were related to Chon'sin. If Jesse was dead, Kamui would have taken over in his place so it can be possibly located there. 

The place for deceased bodies of legendary swordsmen are found in Chon'sin called the Warrior's Tomb which is located by the Thieves Shrine in Gaiden. These guys are the founders of Chon'sin and Jesse, Saber, and Kamui are Mercenaries/Swordsmen and Jeese's kingdom is for Mercenaries but it's hard to make connections when Gaiden and Awakening takes place 2000 years later so when Chon'sin became a country is unclear.

The small things like this or how Walhart is similar to Rudolf in what he did for the greater good, how you're able to go to Faria Port(aka Port Ferox) in Echoes and Thabest Labyrinth is between Arena Ferox makes the world feel much richer in history.

12 hours ago, MidoriPuru said:

Kamui is a Japanese name and the Chon'sin are based on the Japanese.

Chon'sin looked linguistically Korean to me. "Choson", which as you can see is spelt much like Chon'sin, is another way of transliterating "Joseon", which was a centuries dynasty which ruled Korea for centuries (until the Japanese set out to build an empire in the late 1800s and conquered Korea- the decades that followed are source of much bad blood between South Korea and Japan).

They also call the rulers of Chon'sin "dynasts" in Awakening, which doesn't sound very Japanese (I'd expect them to say "daimyo" or "bushi" if that were the case).

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

until the Japanese set out to build an empire in the late 1800s and conquered Korea- the decades that followed are source of much bad blood between South Korea and Japan

You made a great point. The other tribe that Kamui's family lost to could have been Korean or another kind of Asian. It somewhat parallels to what you've said. When it comes to the word "dynasts" it makes me think of the Chinese. Chon'sin possibly being more Korean and Say'ri looking different than her brother so she can be Asian could say all types of Asians melded into one tribe or country.

7 hours ago, Not_The_NSA said:

By that logic, I guess Henry and Kellam are related to Kamui too, right?

I did forget about Henry and Kellam and I did not know it was a trope and hey, who knows they might be related.

Edited by MidoriPuru

Maybe Kamui returned to his homeland and told old neighbors of Valentia during his travels, inspiring some of them to emigrate to Zofia and start their own country. Well that or Jesse's death is canon :p

The main issue I see is that Jesse's kingdom was supposed to be a) in the desert, b) mainly mercenaries a la Ilia, and c) "a place where everyone lives free". The area you recruit Yen'Fay in is pretty damn far from the desert in Valentia, and Chon'Sin, being apparently based on Eastern feudal governments and cultures, doesn't exactly strike me as a motley confederation of mercenaries nor as a place where everybody lives free, if history is any indication. Provided, there is a 2000 year gap between Echoes and Awakening, but regardless it just doesn't seem likely. As evidenced by Awakening, Alm's dynasty only lasts 1000 years and Valentia/Valm breaks back up into several nations until Walhart goes on his conquest of Valentia in an attempt to emulate Alm/Rudolf. If we're being realistic, Jesse's idealistic kingdom and form of government probably wouldn't last long to begin with and was likely just lost to history, just like Alm and Celica's united Valentia.

Edited by Wayward Alchemist

23 hours ago, Not_The_NSA said:

Good to know the sarcasm went over your head.

I got the joke.

11 hours ago, RennacIsUnderrated said:

You remember how Jesse started his own country of mercenaries? I'm fairly certain that becomes the Chonsin

It's a possibility.

Edited by MidoriPuru

I don't think Chon'sin is the same thing as Jesse's mercenary kingdom. 1000 years after Echoes, the Schism occurred and divided the two continents into the countries brought up in Awakening. Ther's also the fact that Chon'sin seems pretty similar to Hoshido, which doesn't really seem to fit Jesse.