Waste of Feathers ---> Major Success

MidnightFE

16 hours ago, Emeraldfox said:

What I'd like to know is how making any unit a 5 star a 'waste' of feathers? That makes no sense to me.

I agree because it's certainly paid off for me but that's a perspective of some people who'd only spend feathers on high tier characters (like most of my friends who play the game). I've never been one to play only by what's considered "high tier", but some people do and would probably consider what I did as a "waste" since I have some pretty good 4* units that would make great 5*s.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Emeraldfox said:

What I'd like to know is how making any unit a 5 star a 'waste' of feathers? That makes no sense to me.

That's because it's not. Virtually any unit can benefit from becoming 5*. In fact, some units only end up being good once they become 5*, most notably Brave weapon users. 5*'ing units completely depends on what your roster needs, rather than bumping units only because they're "meta".

Speaking of brave weapons, Donnel isn't exactly the best example of a "waste of feathers" seeing as his base 35 Atk, or 38 with +Atk, makes him a very competent user of his default Brave Lance, especially with Death Blow. He even comes with Drag Back for that positional utility, and Reciprocal Aid for HP manipulation on top of that! He offers quite a bit of return on the investment.

You could do much worse like...5*'ing Henry. Needing Triangle Adept to check green tomes reliably is a bit upsetting.

16 hours ago, Arcanite said:

I still think a 5 star healer would truly win this thread XD

Anyway, topic:

Spoiler

S3CraMM_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

The first healer I ever pulled, so she's had a monopoly on healing for training scrubs in the Tower for quite a long time. She even has all of the Staff weapon skills save the Candle. Normally she takes Pain though.

And my personal favorite:

Spoiler

9SUqcc0_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

+Atk -Spd that I raised from a 3 star. Does an incredible job deleting Hectors and anything with 69 or less combined physical bulk, even without + on her Brave Sword. If only a -Atk Ogma or Cain would fall into my lap...

13 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

Anyway, topic:

Reveal hidden contents

S3CraMM_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

The first healer I ever pulled, so she's had a monopoly on healing for training scrubs in the Tower for quite a long time. She even has all of the Staff weapon skills save the Candle. Normally she takes Pain though.

Not as impressive as Sophie's Serra though since Sakura is pullable at 5 stars while Serra is not. Plus Serra is just better anyway :^)

4 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Not as impressive as Sophie's Serra though since Sakura is pullable at 5 stars while Serra is not. Plus Serra is just better anyway :^)

Serra isn't a cinnamon roll though, so Sakura still wins ;^)

Just now, MrSmokestack said:

So just because Serra isn't a cinnamon roll she loses?

What kind of......

Serra arguably has better stats though. She has 3 less HP and 3 less defense but now she has 1 more speed, 3 more res, and 2 more attack

So Serra still wins :^)

24 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

So just because Serra isn't a cinnamon roll she loses?

What kind of......

Serra arguably has better stats though. She has 3 less HP and 3 less defense but now she has 1 more speed, 3 more res, and 2 more attack

So Serra still wins :^)

>Comparing stats on healers

Like healers care about any stat besides Spd. Sakura still wins for looks and cinnamon roll-ness

15 minutes ago, JSND said:

Someone explain what this cinnamon roll joke actually means

It first started from this article on The Onion, a website notorious for its satiricial nature.

After that, there was this Fates PMU on reddit where /u/16bithero23's comment accidentally got posted exactly 127 times due to a site glitch. Said comment was:

"Elise? I prefer precious cinnamon roll."

From there it became a meme and is now used to describe young, innocent-looking characters, usually girls, like Fae, Nino, and Genny.

That's my take on it, at least.

Edited by MrSmokestack

>Comparing stats on healers

Like healers care about any stat besides Spd. Sakura still wins for looks and cinnamon roll-ness

Like I've said before

Stats first, skills next, looks later

Just now, Arcanite said:

Like I've said before

Stats first, skills next, looks later

Healers are the one exception to that rule. Their combat is so crappy without Wrathful Staff that they all perform functionally the same. And since they can inherit each others skills, it basically boils down to looks.

Boo-yah

Healers are the one exception to that rule.

Exusez-moi !?

YOU don't make the exceptions to my rules, thank you very much!

Oboro is the only exception

Well all a robot sees is numbers and all a human sees is beauty! Serra still wins though :^)

Alfonse is probably mine.  Spent feathers 5 staring him just for arena bonus last month.  Have him a good skill set and he has not left my team since.  I have also gotten at least 4 defense wins with him in my team along with nino, his sister, and Ryoma.  

His 57 attack on offense is enough to one shot the L&D Kagero I encounter and it also makes short work of green mage, while his 32 defense let's him take doubles from green physical units easily, and kill them next turn if not on counter.  Also sword breaker let's him take all sword lords.

He is solid with skill inheritance, even if out classed by some.  His bonus unit status makes him well worth it.

JdRmxrF.png

from 3* to 5* aaand i haven't used him at all since i got him to level 40. he is pretty great though, just prefer the tankiness of M!Corrin (who i also promo'd to 5*..) over him for the moment.

Actually can be considerated a "waste" but Zero is my husbando and I love him so, here is, upgraded from 3* to 5* the first copy that I get in like my third pull, I really wanted him, even get me more hyped than Takumi when he show up before lol

Zero is actually a beast in the battlefield, Killer bow+Iceberg and swap are hella useful, I don't care if he is B or C tier, he is one of my best units right now

But talking about waste, once I see a 5 stars Virion... I was amazed but sad by that 20000 lost feathers

Screenshot_2017-06-07-19-47-19.png

How about the one red tome user that no one ever talks about (at least Henry gets talked about for being terrible)?

Spoiler

RLYMaON.jpg

+1 Sophia [+Atk -Spd]

Rauðrraven+
Draw Back
Dragon Fang
Triangle Adept 3
G Tomebreaker 3
Fortify Res 3

Takes only 25 damage from +10 Spring Camilla [+Atk] (Gronnblade+, Life and Death 3) with maximum flier buffs (90 Atk total) and one-round kills her back, no sweat.

15 hours ago, Zeo said:

He's a unique one with a lot of potential, but I think it's irrelevant when you have so many other grey units that are great right out the box.

He's one of the only 2 units that can debuff all 4 stats at once, and combined with rogue dagger, things like seal atk, fortress def, distant def and the like make him virtually unkillable.

underneath all that lies hidden power to instakill with bonfire or ignis which utilizes his virtually always boosted and already naturally high def and respectable res.

With the right build, Matthew could be a second Lukas and potentially destroy teams on his own. When I build my Matthew, I'm almost certain he'll be either a regenerating fortress or a debugger. Just the thought of things like distant def/rogue dagger + seal atk and then watching buffed Nino do 0 damage makes me tingle.

plus it gives all the defensive boons a purpose. His best bane is literally -atk. I just wish I had something other than this neutral Matt to work with. It's almost the worst nature for anything I want to do. 

Hm. You're right. Ignis Matthew focusing on taking hits... it could actually work out. I saw Niles before, and making use of Iceberg as the only way to deal reliable damage is tough as he really needs the special to other than mages.

It's just that it might be hard to utilize this though. Sadly you can't make Nino deal 0 damage to you. He's not a magical tank. Felicia would be better if you actually want Nino to deal 0 damage on you. :P

Here's a battle log of what happens if a Nino buffed by Eirika, but debuffed by your Rogue Dagger+ and Seal Atk 3 initiates combat.

Spoiler

Capture.JPG.7a076140f55bfb75a1b430164fec29c2.JPG

6 hours ago, JSND said:

Someone explain what this cinnamon roll joke actually means

I'd simply point at Genny for that. Every single time! Too good, too pure~! >w<
Innocent characters that are cute also fit into this term too, for example Nino, Florina, Elise, Sakura, Mist, Micaiah, Delthea, Mae... The list goes on. :)

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

How about the one red tome user that no one ever talks about (at least Henry gets talked about for being terrible)?

Takes only 25 damage from +10 Spring Camilla [+Atk] (Gronnblade+, Life and Death 3) with maximum flier buffs (90 Atk total) and one-round kills her back, no sweat.

I saw you mentioned Sophia a few times already. I've no doubt she is a good TA user with great defensive stats. It's just that, your mention of facing +10 Spring Camilla is so hardcore! XD

But because I have Sanaki, who can do the same and comes with the tools, I use her instead. The only tough part is getting that 5* Henry for the stronger Raven tome.

Edited by Lyrai

Is there a way to make Sophia viable? She's labeled as one of the worst units in the game but I want to know if she can be saved by SI.

Edit: Just Ice Dragon's post. Guess I should've looked at the thread more.

Edited by KongDude

19 minutes ago, KongDude said:

Is there a way to make Sophia viable? She's labeled as one of the worst units in the game but I want to know if she can be saved by SI.

She's actually not bad, just needs a lot of SI help. Henry's tome, Triangle Adept, Swordbreaker, Red Tome Breaker and probably Moonbow. She'll shit on anything green and straight up wall them, plus hit whatever the breaker you chose lets her double like a truck. Plus she's really bulky for a mage, which is pretty cool. I think Close Counter fits her pretty nice too with that bulk, and even without TA she hits greens really hard.

I almost leveled a Henry out of desperate need for a Takumi counter back in the previous Mage gauntlet. Ended up going Tharja round 1 because I already had her at least partially leveled, and settling on having Henry as a backup plan. Things clearly did not end up working out that way.

Anyway, I ultimately decided on Cecilia instead, as all my 5* units at the time were already red anyway, and plus she has a horse which is apparently broken in this game or something (but being able to outrange Takumi was a definite plus). As fate would have it, immediately before I reach the magical 22,000 feathers I needed to fully promote my favored Cecilia, the Triangle Banner happened. My initial reaction was, "oh, cool, this will be my only chance for a while to get a 5* Cecilia to merge into the one I'm making," but I ended up pulling one with the exact perfect nature for what I wanted to use her for (+Atk/-Res), and from my first green, no less! So, in a sense, I ended up saving 22k feathers.

I later ended up pulling Azura from the same banner and dumped my 20k feathers into a -HP/+Atk Virion for want of a 5* Colorless unit that I could complete those stupid freaking Deathless 5* 40 map with specific types of units quests with.

Anyway, my Virion has 4 levels to go until 40 and there are only a few hours remaining for the Kozaki Yusuke quests, so, later.

(This thread in a nutshell: being 5* really does make all the difference in this game, somewhat depressingly. In Virion, though, I got basically exactly what I expected: a strong ranged attacker.

Also, is Henry seriously as bad as everybody's saying he is? Triangle Adept Raven Tome is still a strong combination, and one I'll be looking to give Cecilia as soon as I can pull a 4* Roy or something.)

25 minutes ago, Tamarsamar said:

Also, is Henry seriously as bad as everybody's saying he is? Triangle Adept Raven Tome is still a strong combination, and one I'll be looking to give Cecilia as soon as I can pull a 4* Roy or something.)

Henry has 26 base Atk with a +Atk nature (and we're going to assume Henry is +Atk for the rest of this post), giving him a paltry 37 Atk with Raudhrraven+. His effective Atk at weapon triangle advantage with Triangle Adept 3 is 51 Atk, which is the same as +Atk Sanaki with Raudhrraven+ at neutral weapon triangle. He has 22 base Spd, meaning he can't even double attack to make up for his low damage without either Quick Riposte or a Weaponbreaker. His lower Res (at least compared to Sophia) also makes him vulnerable to Gronnblade if he isn't running G Tomebreaker, but his massive Def means he walls all axes until they can pull an offensive special on him.

To make up for it, though, he does have a devastating 25-damage Ignis that charges quickly due to the fact that he is often double attacked, though that's notably less impressive when you compare that to +Atk Sophia's 23-damage Dragon Fang and 10 higher base damage (14 higher effective Atk at weapon triangle advantage) to begin with.

3 hours ago, Lyrai said:

Hm. You're right. Ignis Matthew focusing on taking hits... it could actually work out. I saw Niles before, and making use of Iceberg as the only way to deal reliable damage is tough as he really needs the special to other than mages.

It's just that it might be hard to utilize this though. Sadly you can't make Nino deal 0 damage to you. He's not a magical tank. Felicia would be better if you actually want Nino to deal 0 damage on you. :P

Here's a battle log of what happens if a Nino buffed by Eirika, but debuffed by your Rogue Dagger+ and Seal Atk 3 initiates combat.

Hide contents

Capture.JPG.7a076140f55bfb75a1b430164fec29c2.JPG

Haha! He beat her, but that requires a lot of setup and in most normal situations he likely can't touch her without Distant Def or a G Tomebreaker.

If you care to read more about what I'm saying with Matthew.

Spoiler

Yeah, Felicia with his Dagger can pretty much do the exact same thing except that she's a magical tank instead of a physical one.In actuality I'm worried about where exactly I want to go with him right now. I splurged on him and "wasted" 2k feathers to boost him to *4. I also sacrificed my only *4 Selena to give him threaten speed (I was planning on a debuff build of Seal Atk/Threaten Spd/Rogue Dagger debuffs) and he currently has Glowing Ember to test out weather or not he wants Bonfire or Ignis.

Right now it's... shaky trying to make him work. I've been test running him with Olivia + Wrys + B!Cordelia (Rally Atk/Spd) bolstering him to see where he can go and he rely's heavily on others to make a difference and even to damage most opponents. Without Brideilia he can't damage reliably and without his Rogue Dagger buffs active, Glowing Ember's (Calling it GE) damage is currently lackluster, but it's primary source of kills, the problem here is that he desperately needs the Rogue Dagger buffs in order to get GE's damage in a good place, enough to kill. For the tankier enemies he may even need 2 or 3 of them to work.

But he isn't even getting the boost in damage because he only get's the buffs after he attacks, so if he's attacking with the buff it's either after he's been attacked the previous turn by a ranged unit (which means he was attacked without buffs and likely took considerable damage) or he attacked once and was danced, which means you danced Matthew and not a unit that could probably just OHKO. Even with Bonfire's 3 turn cooldown, the damage is going to be in the same area and he still won't really be snatching kills even against red swords. He needs Ignis for the kills. Seal Atk would definitely help with him being more of a tank, especially against mages, issue is by adding that he's forgoing Poison Strike which is currently his 2nd source of damage during this trial. With Bonfire not being enough to kill without Poison Strike to help whittle down enemies he can't finish them with his special. His role to be a tank would be bolstered by sealing ATK as all the other seal skills are pointless on him but he's forgoing damage he desperately needs as well as potential survivability with Renewal 3 as another B options. Let's lay down all my options for him.

As: Reposition/Pivot/Swap

Sp: Ignis/Bonfire

A: Darting Blow 3/Fortress Def 3/Distant Def 3/Speed 3

B: Seal Atk 3/Renewal 3/Watersweep 3/Poison Strike 3

C: Threaten Atk/Threaten Spd/Savage Blow 3

Fortress Def and Seal Atk work well together because they are effective in Making Matthew extremely hard to kill but the issues with that group is that Mages will still obliterate Matthew with no Speed boon or Darting Blow/Speed 3/Distant Def 3 and Fortress Def + Seal Atk remove any normal option he has to attack. He is completely reliant on Ignis for kills, he's effectively a debuffer for other units to finish off and a wall, but his walling is only effective against physical units. 

Poison Strike 3/Savage Blow 3/Distant Def 3/Bonfire would work well as he's still doing plenty of damage all the time with bonus damage from Bonfire. This is probably the most well rounded Matthew build as he's chipping away at the whole team and remaining tanky in the process with a potential bonfire kill here and there boosted by Distant Def 3 against mages. Issue is with no real boosting skills he's fairly easy to take out and more than anything, I don't have Celica which puts the whole thing together. That and Jaffar makes better use of this build with Deathly Dagger.

Darting Blow 3/Speed 3 make Watersweep 3 possible and he's something of a little debuff sniper, but this annoys me because he can't double, period which negates his speed. Without that he's not even proc-ing Ignis or Bonfire and he's more or less useless against fast mages. He's just a debuff doll, I can just use Kagero or B!Cordelia in that case.

C skills are also funky... Threaten Atk is nice, good combination with something like Renewal 3 to make him hard to kill, but it's useless against mages who are going to come right into his range and attack him right away, most of the biggest threats to Matthew are other ranged enemies, anything else will likely be debuffed by threaten atk, the ranged units themselves will likely still have just a few points left to finish off Matthew after surviving his attack. Threaten Spd is probably the best skill here, he can double and get closer to his special skill. You're forgoing Savage Blow 3 that way, as well as any boosting skills if that's your thing, I want Matt to be able to do things on his own and not be heavily reliant on other units though.

The big issue with his special skills also is that even with Ignis, without Rogue Dagger buffs you may have trouble killing things without Fortress Def 3 bolstering your defenses. And like I said you're only getting Ignis + RD Buffs if you are attacked by a foe you can counter the turn before or if you attack once and are danced. It's just... an awkward setup. If Rogue Dagger activated after combat instead of requiring him to actually hit the opponent it would be a lot easier.

If you can make him work he's great, but... he requires so much setup and I can't figure out where I want him to be... something like Defiant Def could work for increasing Ignis damage but you're now relying on Matt taking damage which is questionable, especially if magic units are present. Plus by forgoing speed A skills you're relying on slow opponents or threaten spd to kick in to double attack and build up Ignis.

The kicker is all these build combinations are better on other Dagger users, Gaius, Saizo, Felicia and even Kagero (if you gimp her) all utilize builds like this better than him because of their superior stat spreads. I really don't know what they were thinking with him but I'm determined to make him work. I just have to find the right combonation... I already gave him threaten spd 3 so I may forgo an A speed skill... but I'm on the fence about Seal Atk, and I do have a Savage Blow 3 on hand if I just want to make him a chip king.

After everything in that spoiler... this is starting to feel like a waste of feathers. Still doing it though, I'm committing to making Matthew a problem.

Got a Jeorge and Lukas at *4 I can feed to him to get Seal Atk 3 and Fortress Def 2... just not sure if that's the route I should go... or wait for Renewal 3 to show up. Or... heck I don't know what I'm doing.

Edited by Zeo

23 hours ago, The_antithesis said:

I promoted my Erika to 5* for the simple reason that her damaged portrait looks so badass. I know, judging my characters based on looks was a mistake!

...I then got Nino.

Tbh in a game where inheritance can make nearly anyone good, unless you're aiming for Tier 20 or something, I'd say it's perfectly fine to judge characters on looks (as long as you also know what you're doing with them) :P

EDIT: Er...to an extent. As cute as some healers are, I'm not sure I'd do well with a team of Genny, Elise, Priscilla, and Maria, for example haha

Edited by MaskedAmpharos

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 3:05 PM, MrSmokestack said:

Serra probably thinks of herself as one, though, so does that count?