I'd like to try to get (back) into the older FE games

Ahoy! I've posted a bit on here on the Echoes forums, but allow me to introduce myself proper.

I'm Ark! I'm a long, LONG time Fire Emblem fan. My very first Fire Emblem game was Gaiden, using the broken patch by j2e. I was probably only 10 or 11 at the time, so I was really just interested in the gameplay, not the story, and I was in LOVE with it. I played it for hours, leveling up, grinding my troops, and discovering the Dread Fighter loop which I thought was a bug as a kid. Even so, I adored it. The next one I played was actually Sacred Stones. I didn't even realize FE7 had came out in the US, and just hopped on the next one, and given my familiarity with Gaiden I felt right at home. Grinding, multiple promotion paths, 2 protagonists, etc. Again, I loved it. I toyed around with FE7, but it lacked the things I enjoyed about Sacred Stones and felt like a real step backwards. I also adored Awakening, disliked Fate, and fell in love with Echoes all over again. I really feel like they did Gaiden more justice than I ever could have dreamed of.

Which brings me to where I am today! I'd like to try my hand at digging into the old Fire Emblem games. Specifically the Super Famicom era. I think Mystery of the Emblem seems very interesting, but I'm also quite interested in Genealogy of the Holy War. I think it was crazy innovative for the time. I'm staying away from Thracia 776 until I can get my bearings on Genealogy's story. So which do you suggest trying out? I know that Mystery has a pretty decent translation patch, but I'm not sure if Genealogy does and that would definitely be a huge factor for my enjoyment. Being able to read what I'm doing is important. I tried playing Princess Crown, a Sega Saturn action/RPG with a translation guide but I got lost and frustrated quite frequently and don't look to recreate the experience.

Anyway, that's enough rambling from me. Looking forward to your suggestions!

If you go the NES subforum, one of the pinned posts has a translation patch for genealogy you can use, there are a couple of good ones around the internet, but I assume the one on serenes is good as well.

The pinned translation is a bit outdated. Search for "Project Naga" for the newest and fanciest one for FE4. It translates everything in the game. The pinned translation (the Gharnef patch) crashes during the ending and has a fair amount untranslated, as does the traditional old patch for FE4, Reparation 0.87. All of them are perfectly fine, ending crashes aside. I do recommend Project Naga for the best gameplay experience, but it has compatibility issues for some emulators. I hope you don't use ZSNES!

After looking at my own files, I found out I also used the Project Naga patch, it worked really smoothly for me, so I'll second Darrman on this. The emulator I used  was snes9x. I'm around 3/4 of the game and most of the dialogue seems really good up till now.

FE4 is probably your best bet if you're into the less conventional FE games. FE3 is still fun though! Personally I use ZSNES out of preference and other than like two regions which aren't translated (one castle in the last chapter which isn't much dialogue anyway and the ending - kind of annoying but there's an ending generator somewhere online) the old patch works just as well. Really though it's up to you. I'd give FE4 a whirl regardless.