Is Ross worth it?

So I have just started playing Sacred Stones, and I have just rescued Ross. He is labeled as a journeyman, which o can assume is the villager class of this game, meaning he is quite weak and needs a lot of training. Is doing all of this training going to be worth it, or should I just stick to his father?

Most say trainees are not worth it, especially Amelia. But if you want a trainee, Ross is far and away the best to pick. Unlike the other trainees, he joins very early, has a nice weapon to help him gain levels faster, and there are few axe users in the game, with technically only three axe users at base, compared to the other trainees where there are many classes that use the same weapon types as the trainees. Overall, the best pick among trainees. His worthiness really depends on level ups. His growth rates are slightly lower than average, but an extra 10 levels and a promotion bonus normally would make up for that.

7 minutes ago, NoMansLand said:

Most say trainees are not worth it, especially Amelia. But if you want a trainee, Ross is far and away the best to pick. Unlike the other trainees, he joins very early, has a nice weapon to help him gain levels faster, and there are few axe users in the game, with technically only three axe users at base, compared to the other trainees where there are many classes that use the same weapon types as the trainees. Overall, the best pick among trainees. His worthiness really depends on level ups. His growth rates are slightly lower than average, but an extra 10 levels and a promotion bonus normally would make up for that.

Okay, good to know. I have heard that trainees can be quite hard to train, but I did want to use one for my first time.

Just now, Nobody said:

he's by far the best trainee, the easiest to use and also the one in the most unique role, since the game has few axe users. I say use him if you want to.

Sounds good, I plan to promote him at level ten to pirate to get him out of journeyman and then to berserker st level 20, for the crit bonus, ability to scale mountains and water

I always have great luck with Ross, of course I have a fondness for the trainee characters and I end up using all of them.  Ross always turns out to be a beast for me on all my playthroughs and pirate is a fun class.

Ross is the easiest to use of the trainee trio, and can certainly be integrated into a standard team without grinding, unlike the other two. His growths aren't as incredible as you'd think they'd be for someone who starts so weak, but those extra 9 levelups compensate somewhat. 

Being able to go Pirate-Berserker is his special niche given Dozla, the only other contender, isn't very good. Unfortunately, class doesn't affect growths in SS, so while promotion bonuses will make Berserker Ross a touch faster than as a Warrior, it won't be as much as you'd think. Still, Ross should make a very good axe user.

Note that there is only 1 free Ocean Seal, which in SS promotes both Thieves and Pirates. Since Ross is a Pirate, Colm won't be able to promote until the Master Seal shows up in C15. This is only a problem if you plan on using Colm as a combat unit, or if you want to do a lot of grinding pre-C14, because weapon durability will force you to buy new weapons and thus bite into your gold supply, and the only unlimited source of gold is the chest on the third floor of the Tower of Valni which always contains 3000k. Lockpicks however are limited, and therefore if you run of out Lockpick uses, you're liable to run out of gold. Promoting Colm to Rogue with its lockpick-free chest opening abilities can get around this problem, but you won't be able to do this since you're using Pirate Ross. Once you get to C15 however, you can recruit Rennac, and because he starts as a Rogue, you'll never have to fear running out of funds while grinding ever again.

Colm will generally promote before Ross due to higher starting level and boosted exp gain anyway, unless you favour Ross over him tremendously. To be honest, waiting until C15 to promote Ross isn't too bad; that's around when a lot of people promote anyway in my experience.

Regarding Ross in general, he's easily the most usable of the trainees and every axe-user in this game has some sort of serious problem or other anyway, so he's a decent choice to use if you want. Not one of the best units for sure, but not bad either.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Ross is the easiest to use of the trainee trio, and can certainly be integrated into a standard team without grinding, unlike the other two. His growths aren't as incredible as you'd think they'd be for someone who starts so weak, but those extra 9 levelups compensate somewhat. 

Being able to go Pirate-Berserker is his special niche given Dozla, the only other contender, isn't very good. Unfortunately, class doesn't affect growths in SS, so while promotion bonuses will make Berserker Ross a touch faster than as a Warrior, it won't be as much as you'd think. Still, Ross should make a very good axe user.

Note that there is only 1 free Ocean Seal, which in SS promotes both Thieves and Pirates. Since Ross is a Pirate, Colm won't be able to promote until the Master Seal shows up in C15. This is only a problem if you plan on using Colm as a combat unit, or if you want to do a lot of grinding pre-C14, because weapon durability will force you to buy new weapons and thus bite into your gold supply, and the only unlimited source of gold is the chest on the third floor of the Tower of Valni which always contains 3000k. Lockpicks however are limited, and therefore if you run of out Lockpick uses, you're liable to run out of gold. Promoting Colm to Rogue with its lockpick-free chest opening abilities can get around this problem, but you won't be able to do this since you're using Pirate Ross. Once you get to C15 however, you can recruit Rennac, and because he starts as a Rogue, you'll never have to fear running out of funds while grinding ever again.

I had actually just noticed that you open locks with lockpivks, not with a special skill like in awakening, so a rouge would be nice to have so I don't have to worry about that, but I think I can hold out till chapter 15. Thanks everyone, this is my first experience with an older Fire Emblem game, and I just don't want to screw myself over in the early game and have the entire game be unenjoyable and stressful.

2 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

I had actually just noticed that you open locks with lockpivks, not with a special skill like in awakening, so a rouge would be nice to have so I don't have to worry about that, but I think I can hold out till chapter 15. Thanks everyone, this is my first experience with an older Fire Emblem game, and I just don't want to screw myself over in the early game and have the entire game be unenjoyable and stressful.

You get a free rogue, and i generaly use him for all my stealin and chest-opening needs.

Since I do not usually use Thieves for more than picking locks, I would say use the Ocean Seal on Ross.

In my opinion, he is the best out of the trainees and probably the default axe users as well. As a Berserker, Ross always outdone all my other axe fighters, haha. I think Sacred Stones in general has pretty meh axe users so you go with who you can and Ross is probably the best option whoever you pick.

19 minutes ago, MadJak91 said:

Since I do not usually use Thieves for more than picking locks, I would say use the Ocean Seal on Ross.

In my opinion, he is the best out of the trainees and probably the default axe users as well. As a Berserker, Ross always outdone all my other axe fighters, haha. I think Sacred Stones in general has pretty meh axe users so you go with who you can and Ross is probably the best option whoever you pick.

Well currently Ross is a pirate and is one of my strongest units. I also decided to train up Ameilia, it was a bit of a hassle training her up, but I think with the ten extra levels  she will end up being stronger than my other cavaliers in the long run. Gonna make her a great knight as a balance between general and paladin. 

Ya, Amelia can be a hassle and the payoff depends on how her stats raise... I like using her because you get a speedy tank if you take the Knight branch. I use Swiftsoles then. I think the game has enough Cavaliers (Seth and Franz) who are worth using but I guess for a later Great Knight... Why not! :D

In general, I would say train Ross regardless of what you think of trainees because he is a beast later!

Ewan on the other hand... Dunno, never had much like with the boy :/

Just now, MadJak91 said:

Ya, Amelia can be a hassle and the payoff depends on how her stats raise... I like using her because you get a speedy tank if you take the Knight branch. I use Swiftsoles then. I think the game has enough Cavaliers (Seth and Franz) who are worth using but I guess for a later Great Knight... Why not! :D

In general, I would say train Ross regardless of what you think of trainees because he is a beast later!

Ewan on the other hand... Dunno, never had much like with the boy :/

Well I needed a new cavalier as franz (I think) died, and I had gotten Amelia just then. Ross is definitly going to see more usage, just so strong as a pirate!

On 2017-06-13 at 3:24 PM, MadJak91 said:

I can kinda understand this in many games, but you're really missing out with Colm; his stats are pretty comparable to the other sword-users but he gains exp much faster and has all his utility benefits besides, which makes him extremely useful.

That said as I mentioned before, I don't think this Ocean Seal is much of a fight anyway. You effectively get a second in Chapter 15 anyway which is early enough.

3 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I can kinda understand this in many games, but you're really missing out with Colm; his stats are pretty comparable to the other sword-users but he gains exp much faster and has all his utility benefits besides, which makes him extremely useful.

That said as I mentioned before, I don't think this Ocean Seal is much of a fight anyway. You effectively get a second in Chapter 15 anyway which is early enough.

Your help is definitly appreciated, buuutt I kinda let Colm die accidentally and Ross is currently a level 17 pirate.

5 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Point taken! I have seen people using him over the myrmidons even. I think especially in Sacred Stones you cannot really make a "bad" choice, haha.

I am just that scrub who mostly deploys thieves when there is treasure to be found (worth taking anyway) and I can use that slot! Hey, many characters to try out so maybe next time :>