Shadows of Valentia Challenge Ideas

move on in story without the sidetracking (like the greith fortress and nuibaba stuff). I wonder whether it will make the game easier or harder, but since it's an option, It seems like the obvious choice if you are after speedrun

Edited by abits

Regarding a challenge, I was interested in someone researching the script of a Normal Classic playthrough where they kill off Lukas, Gray, Tobin, Clair, Clive, Mae, Boey, and Saber. Essentially, I want to confirm how much the game script changes with them dead since those characters have a lot of dialogue in the story. Recruiting anyone else is perfectly fine since they don't change the script much. You don't need to record the script line for line. I just want to see if it changes to Alm/Celica talking to themselves a lot more or some generic soldier replacing them in the dialog.

I know someone on SF posted a few days ago that they retreat and are still part of the script even in classic mode, but based on the posted classic mode death quotes and the endings, that definitely doesn't seem to be the case.

25 minutes ago, Randoman said:

Regarding a challenge, I was interested in someone researching the script of a Normal Classic playthrough where they kill off Lukas, Gray, Tobin, Clair, Clive, Mae, Boey, and Saber. Essentially, I want to confirm how much the game script changes with them dead since those characters have a lot of dialogue in the story. Recruiting anyone else is perfectly fine since they don't change the script much. You don't need to record the script line for line. I just want to see if it changes to Alm/Celica talking to themselves a lot more or some generic soldier replacing them in the dialog.

I know someone on SF posted a few days ago that they retreat and are still part of the script even in classic mode, but based on the posted classic mode death quotes and the endings, that definitely doesn't seem to be the case.

Mae didn't die when she was defeated in mine (but I used the turnwheel) so I don't think the script changes. It just goes on with them no longer participating in battles.

Only engage an enemy army once they are supported by reinforcements. Obviously this would only come into play starting with chapter 3 once reinforcements become a thing.

Edited by BrightBow

3 hours ago, Randoman said:

They only die for good if they are defeated in the last chapter, and they all have different defeat quotes, too.

As for the topic at hand, you could do a run with just a specific group of characters, like the OG Deliverance (Claire, Clive, Mathilda, Lukas, Forsyth, Python) for Alm's route or only units associated with the Novis Monastary (Celica, Bowey, Mae, Genny, Nomah) for Celica's route. Too bad units can't be revived across routes, you could add Silque to the above list. Additionally, the Girl Power run is an oldie-but-goodie that is challenging in Echoes due to the cast being a bit of a sausage party.

Also, a no weapons run could be interesting. You could decide whether Shields and Rings and such count.

Edited by Wayward Alchemist

9 hours ago, Jedi said:

Only mandatory recruitment, so no one who asks if they can join can.

For the record, that's:

Alm, Lukas, Gray, Tobin, Clair, Clive, Mycen

Celica, Mae, Boey, Saber, Conrad

...which is entirely doable.

If you're trying this, it should be on Hard, since Normal is a stomp even with solo Alm/Celica.

Girls only ft alm seems silly.

Alm's route: Alm/Faye/Silque/Claire/Mathilda/Delthea/Tatiana

Ceilica'd route: Ceilica/Mae/Genny/Palla/Catria/Est/Sonya

So basicly a laundry list of the best units in the game on alms side while Ceilica gets YAWWC (yet another white wing carry). Lack of bows would suck pre mage ring though.

1 hour ago, joshcja said:

Girls only ft alm seems silly.

Alm's route: Alm/Faye/Silque/Claire/Mathilda/Delthea/Tatiana

Ceilica'd route: Ceilica/Mae/Genny/Palla/Catria/Est/Sonya

So basicly a laundry list of the best units in the game on alms side while Ceilica gets YAWWC (yet another white wing carry). Lack of bows would suck pre mage ring though.

They might be the best units in the game on Alm's side, but their recruitment is pretty far apart and you'll be running with only Silque, Claire, and Faye until late Ch.3. It's more of the lack of units that makes the game challenging than the units themselves.

52 minutes ago, Wayward Alchemist said:

They might be the best units in the game on Alm's side, but their recruitment is pretty far apart and you'll be running with only Silque, Claire, and Faye until late Ch.3. It's more of the lack of units that makes the game challenging than the units themselves.

Faye walks forward isn't exactly a difficult strat to pull off. It's entertaining though and girls only Ceilica is pretty rough on a few maps.

Edited by joshcja

1 hour ago, joshcja said:

Faye walks forward isn't exactly a difficult strat to pull off. It's entertaining though and girls only Ceilica is pretty rough on a few maps.

I think you overestimate Faye's ability. Even with your Nosferatu Cleric build, her bulk and speed will be questionable for a while and her support with Alm decreases her avoid, meaning that Archers and Mages will absolutely punch holes in her. You also only have Silque and Claire backing her up, neither of which being very good combat units as Claire only picks up after a late Lv.12 promotion and Silque is only really great for support.

Edited by Wayward Alchemist

2 hours ago, Wayward Alchemist said:

I think you overestimate Faye's ability. Even with your Nosferatu Cleric build, her bulk and speed will be questionable for a while and her support with Alm decreases her avoid, meaning that Archers and Mages will absolutely punch holes in her. You also only have Silque and Claire backing her up, neither of which being very good combat units as Claire only picks up after a late Lv.12 promotion and Silque is only really great for support.

There is no competion for the speed water in girls only 1st shrine and leather shield drops in the next map. Faye walks forward. Gradivus!GK or UberSaint, take your pick. Works just fine from shrine to lab 10 in nogrind hard.

Claire picks up at ridersbane, and while "silque walks forward" is the discount Faye walks forward it seems to be the main draft strat in act 1.

Edited by joshcja

I recently finished a Hard/Classic run of 5 units on each side in classss I don't normally use, no grinding (though the exp is so funneled, everyone was in their final non-dlc tier by mid Ch3).

Alm, Gray (Mage), Tobin (Soldier), Kliff (Mercenary), and Faye (Cleric)

Celica, Mae, Boey (Archer), Genny, and Atlas (Mercenary)

Gray and Fate were terrible, but Tobin got 7 or something lucky Speed levels, with a 15% growth, and Kliff was Kliff, Alm's side wasn't tough at all. Celica's side was almost solo'd with Boey, like I unleashed pandora's box by getting him out of Mage, he just grew every stat ridiculously fast.

It was a fun run that could be even more fun once the rest of the Villager Forks come out.

This is what I'm doing.

~ Hard/ Classic

~ No shrine/ dungeon/ towers/ forest skirmishes (Essentially no grinding at all)

~ No resets

~ No retreating

~ No Lion Springs

~ No collecting cogs (only 3 uses)

~ No forging

~ No renowns

~ No DLC

**Must use all characters and they must all survive. 

Its been quite challenging yet also pretty fun.

Very well, I shall bestow you a most absurd challenge.

I am aware of the community subjecting Clive to a large quantity of ridicule. As such, once you recruit this character, you are to complete every map of Alm's route using naught but Clive. Of course, such may simply be impossible if he is to remain as his current class, so you have my blessing to alter his class once using the downloadable Pitchfork item. However, the Mercenary class is simply forbidden!

Clive is permitted to use any items from the convoy, though he is not permitted to use the benefits of "support bonuses" as you simply must only use Clive.

Something you may like to try is for Alm's side of the story ONLY using Alm. The one exception is using Silk as Silk's warp spell is very useful for getting Alm closer to the enemy faster. This is something I am currently trying and am approaching Nuibabba, she is the one battle I'm worried about. So far though I've been able to proceed without using anyone but Alm and a little help from Silk.