Main Series Pokemon Game confirmed for Switch!

Anacybele

The unnamed Pokemon Switch game  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like this game to be?

• Pokemon Sparkling Diamond/Shining Pearl (Sinnoh remakes)
    • Gen 8
    • Pokemon Eclipse/Stars (more gen 7)
    • A remake for a region other than Sinnoh

IF gen 4 get's a remake, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE remove the fog mechanic. That weather condition was SO stupid, and just annoying. Also, I don't like how Bidoof/Bibarel can be found EVERYWHERE you look.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Michelaar said:

IF gen 4 get's a remake, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE remove the fog mechanic. That weather condition was SO stupid, and just annoying. Also, I don't like how Bidoof/Bibarel can be found EVERYWHERE you look.

All the regional rodents could be found everywhere though...

But the fog was kind of annoying yeah. Defog was a dumb HM. If the fog still has to be there, at LEAST give a different means of getting rid of it.

Pearl was my first Pokémon game and Platinum is my all-time favorite, so I'm super biased towards Sinnoh. However, I honestly would rather see the remakes for 3DS. We haven't had a console main-series Pokémon game, and while I'm excited to see what the Switch is capable of, I would prefer to be guaranteed that my Gen IV remake will work out without using an entirely new platform and formula.

Edited by Wayward Alchemist

2 minutes ago, Wayward Alchemist said:

Pearl was my first Pokémon game and Platinum is my all-time favorite, so I'm super biased towards Sinnoh. However, I honestly would rather see the remakes for 3DS. We haven't had a console main-series Pokémon game, and while I'm excited to see what the Switch is capable of, I would prefer to be guaranteed that my Gen IV remake will work out without using an entirely new platform and formula.

That would never happen because the 3DS can already play DPPt just fine. There isn't any reason to remake it for the 3DS.

Edited by OakTree

38 minutes ago, OakTree said:

That would never happen because the 3DS can already play DPPt just fine. There isn't any reason to remake it for the 3DS.

Yes there is? Graphics upgrade, more features, wifi compatibility, 2-3 more generations of Pokémon to add in as postgame content? I'm just saying that ideally, I'd like a DP remake to go by a formula we know works for Pokémon and have Gen 8's main titles test the water on the home console.

17 minutes ago, Wayward Alchemist said:

Yes there is? Graphics upgrade, more features, wifi compatibility, 2-3 more generations of Pokémon to add in as postgame content? I'm just saying that ideally, I'd like a DP remake to go by a formula we know works for Pokémon and have Gen 8's main titles test the water on the home console.

Those are my thoughts. GF has done remakes based on updates to current hardware, easy access to older pokemon, bringing back the BATTLE FRONTIER. 

But seriously, how many people DON'T want the battle frontier to come back. 

I don't think it's a third set of games in Alola, but I also feel like it's a bit early to leave gen 7 and that DP remakes are a weird choice for the first major console pokemon.

I do predict there won't be two versions of whatever's coming. Nintendo Switch lets you have multiple save files through multiple profiles. And the dual version structure of pokemon depended on cartridges that limit you to one save file per game. Now siblings just need to make one purchase for their one Switch. Well, assuming those kids are encouraged to share.

Just now, Gustavos said:

I don't think it's a third set of games in Alola, but I also feel like it's a bit early to leave gen 7 and that DP remakes are a weird choice for the first major console pokemon.

I do predict there won't be two versions of whatever's coming. Nintendo Switch lets you have multiple save files through multiple profiles. And the dual version structure of pokemon depended on cartridges that limit you to one save file per game. Now siblings just need to make one purchase for their one Switch. Well, assuming those kids are encouraged to share.

Probably should have specified what I said. I meant current hardware not on the switch, but compared to the DS, the 3DS is MANY times more powerful, as well as access to wifi. Pokemon is mainly mobile, and patterns of GF have indicated that new and better hardware earns older games remakes among other reasons. (red and blue, gold and silver, ruby and sapphire)

it also makes it much easier to access D/P/P, they do not make the older games anymore IIRC, and they can be hard to find for a decent price (Stupid 300$ copy of heartgold!). Kinda like how Echoes is a remake of Gaiden. How many new fire emblem fans honestly have a working NES compared to the number with 3DS's. It also looks much prettier, but that's a whole different reason. 

4 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Probably should have specified what I said. I meant current hardware not on the switch, but compared to the DS, the 3DS is MANY times more powerful, as well as access to wifi. Pokemon is mainly mobile, and patterns of GF have indicated that new and better hardware earns older games remakes among other reasons. (red and blue, gold and silver, ruby and sapphire)

it also makes it much easier to access D/P/P, they do not make the older games anymore IIRC, and they can be hard to find for a decent price (Stupid 300$ copy of heartgold!). Kinda like how Echoes is a remake of Gaiden. How many new fire emblem fans honestly have a working NES compared to the number with 3DS's. It also looks much prettier, but that's a whole different reason. 

Clarify what? I just got here and was providing my thoughts.

Also new Fire Emblem fans can't do anything with their working NES. Unless they know the secret to modifying them to run Famicom games. 

13 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

Clarify what? I just got here and was providing my thoughts.

Also new Fire Emblem fans can't do anything with their working NES. Unless they know the secret to modifying them to run Famicom games. 

Right forgot about that part with the famicom.

and I meant that I didn't think I was too clear with my explanation for everyone  about the better hardware, and I had some more thoughts, so I just made a new post rather than make a giant edit.

Edited by DisobeyedCargo

1 hour ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Right forgot about that part with the famicom.

and I meant that I didn't think I was too clear with my explanation for everyone  about the better hardware, and I had some more thoughts, so I just made a new post rather than make a giant edit.

yeah but you quoted me

I'm most inclined to believe that this is a Sinnoh remake and yet I feel like it's not.

Actually I think I'm just having a hard time believing a main Pokemon game will be on a home console like the Switch lol.

Knowing Game Freak, this could be anything. Either way, I'm pretty excited.

A main series Pokemon game on a home console! Is this even real?

10 hours ago, Anacybele said:

All the regional rodents could be found everywhere though...

But the fog was kind of annoying yeah. Defog was a dumb HM. If the fog still has to be there, at LEAST give a different means of getting rid of it.

Yeah, but Diamond and Pearl took it to another level. In every cave, you could find Geodude and Zubat. In every beach area, you could find Buizel/Floatzel and Shellos/Gastrodon. In Kalos, you could find the early normal types on the early routes and that's it. I want them to take an example from that.

7 hours ago, Michelaar said:

Yeah, but Diamond and Pearl took it to another level. In every cave, you could find Geodude and Zubat. In every beach area, you could find Buizel/Floatzel and Shellos/Gastrodon. In Kalos, you could find the early normal types on the early routes and that's it. I want them to take an example from that.

That's because Kalos had three different Pokedexes. Not just one like Sinnoh.

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

That's because Kalos had three different Pokedexes. Not just one like Sinnoh.

Still, I find it a bit extreme in Sinnoh.

If we follow the recent trend, Gen VII should be for November/December 2019. (Gen II and IV are the exceptions with nearly 4 years. Gen 2 to gen 3 is exactly 3 years, and all the gen since gen 5 are 3 years and almost a month (it can be shorter for US/EU, but only the Japanese date counts to the jump between générations.)

We don't know yet when this game will come, but it won't be before a while, that much is certain. End of 2018 at the soonest, and with decent chances of it appearing current 2019. 

Now, having Gen VII for Spring/Summer 2019 would be unprecedented, but not too much of a stretch.

And we won't have any new Megas, guys. At least not before Gen 6 Remake. Right now, it's Z-Moves that is all the rage, and who nows what it will be for Gen VIII.

19 minutes ago, Tamanoir said:

If we follow the recent trend, Gen VII should be for November/December 2019. (Gen II and IV are the exceptions with nearly 4 years. Gen 2 to gen 3 is exactly 3 years, and all the gen since gen 5 are 3 years and almost a month (it can be shorter for US/EU, but only the Japanese date counts to the jump between générations.)

We don't know yet when this game will come, but it won't be before a while, that much is certain. End of 2018 at the soonest, and with decent chances of it appearing current 2019. 

Now, having Gen VII for Spring/Summer 2019 would be unprecedented, but not too much of a stretch.

And we won't have any new Megas, guys. At least not before Gen 6 Remake. Right now, it's Z-Moves that is all the rage, and who nows what it will be for Gen VIII.

I'm not hoping for new Megas (except maybe Arcanine, but that's cause I love him so much), I just hope they actually give us access to ALL the megas in the new games coming up. Seriously, WTF were they thinking.

I don't think this bodes well for the series personally.

Ever since the 4th gen, Pokemon has benefitted from having dual screens and touch controls on its menus. These features have helped alleviate the sluggish gameplay the series suffers from. Without them I suspect Pokemon will play a whole lot worse. You're going back to the Gameboy era, and what was a forgivable limitation of technology then will not go down well on a mainline console in 2018. In that respect a D/P remakes could be a disaster (not being Pt would make them bad enough). "Hey, remember when you could go through the PC using the touch controls? Well here's what it's like when you can't!"

I also don't think jumping to "8th gen" would be good for the series either. Pokemon is already developing problems with pushing games out too quickly. X&Y felt shafted, and Ultra S&M (phwoar) is coming out in a matter of months. I'd hate to see it go full CoD. How many new Pokemon will they be able to create when the gap between generations is shrinking?

The only way I can see a mainline Pokemon game on the Switch being good is if they completely revolutionised the series. Not just a few minor changes like S/M, but a total overhaul. Anything less would just seem like Gamefreak coasting on fan loyalty and brand recognistion. Pokemon has always gotten away with its failings because it's an old, venerated series, and because they've always been handheld games. But when a game goes from handheld to mainline console, peoples expectations are going to rise accordingly. I think reviewers and people who aren't fans aren't going to be so kind to a Switch Pokemon game that just repeats what was on the DS.

Of course, Pokemon is so popular they could probably get away with anything at this point. I just wish they couldn't.

To answer the poll, I hope none of those options are true, but I'm not expecting great things right now.

6 hours ago, Shuuda said:

I don't think this bodes well for the series personally.

Ever since the 4th gen, Pokemon has benefitted from having dual screens and touch controls on its menus. These features have helped alleviate the sluggish gameplay the series suffers from. Without them I suspect Pokemon will play a whole lot worse. You're going back to the Gameboy era, and what was a forgivable limitation of technology then will not go down well on a mainline console in 2018. In that respect a D/P remakes could be a disaster (not being Pt would make them bad enough). "Hey, remember when you could go through the PC using the touch controls? Well here's what it's like when you can't!"

I also don't think jumping to "8th gen" would be good for the series either. Pokemon is already developing problems with pushing games out too quickly. X&Y felt shafted, and Ultra S&M (phwoar) is coming out in a matter of months. I'd hate to see it go full CoD. How many new Pokemon will they be able to create when the gap between generations is shrinking?

The only way I can see a mainline Pokemon game on the Switch being good is if they completely revolutionised the series. Not just a few minor changes like S/M, but a total overhaul. Anything less would just seem like Gamefreak coasting on fan loyalty and brand recognistion. Pokemon has always gotten away with its failings because it's an old, venerated series, and because they've always been handheld games. But when a game goes from handheld to mainline console, peoples expectations are going to rise accordingly. I think reviewers and people who aren't fans aren't going to be so kind to a Switch Pokemon game that just repeats what was on the DS.

Of course, Pokemon is so popular they could probably get away with anything at this point. I just wish they couldn't.

To answer the poll, I hope none of those options are true, but I'm not expecting great things right now.

...You're saying you think Pokemon would be slow on the Switch just because it doesn't have two screens? That doesn't make any sense. Having just one screen this time means absolutely nothing. You're being too pessimistic. Also, the gameplay has only been sluggish in the original DP as far as I've seen. Otherwise, its speed has been fine.

Also, the Switch does have touch controls, btw. The screen can be used as a touch screen when it's in handheld mode. And handheld mode itself still exists. You act like the Switch is the Wii or Wii U, which is definitely not the case.

Not to mention the console sold extremely well despite not being a dual screen. By the time this new Pokemon game comes out, enough people should have the Switch for it to do just fine.

13 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Also, the Switch does have touch controls, btw. The screen can be used as a touch screen when it's in handheld mode. And handheld mode itself still exists. You act like the Switch is the Wii or Wii U, which is definitely not the case.

I suspected I might have gotten that mixed up.

But still, I don't think any of these poll options would suffice for a game on the mainline console.

1 minute ago, Shuuda said:

I suspected I might have gotten that mixed up.

But still, I don't think any of these poll options would suffice for a game on the mainline console.

Well, it's most certainly going to be one of them, because they said it was a "core series Pokemon game" meaning a main series entry. GameFreak doesn't even make the spinoffs anyway, so anytime they say they're making a Pokemon game, it's a main series one.

Edited by Anacybele

Personally I think it will be Gen 8 or a Gen 1/2 Reboot/Reimagining (not a remake of Gen 1:) considing this is the first ever Console Mainline Pokémon game I think the idea of the reboot is very likely as Gen 1/2 remains the most well know Pokémon and it would increase sales among older audiences especially if the game in question is very ambitious. I personally want Gen 8 but I think the Reboot is most likel,y though I am cool either. I think a Gen 4 remake is VERY unlikely, this the FIRST ever console Pokémon game that is a BIG deal they wouldn't make the first ever Pokémon game on consoles a Gen 4 remake.

Edited by Locke087