Since there's already topics about lords and avatars, why not make one for villains as well? What type of villain would you like to see on FE Switch? It could be anything ranging from a minor villain to a major one or even the final boss. What type of story does that villain have and how they affect the story? Do you even want another dragon as the final boss or something more unique as the overall main villain? I'm looking forward to what people come up with.

Just. A. Well. Executed. Villain. Nothing. Else.

Ideally no dragons, particularly degenerate ones. Doing a good somewhat grey human villain in a purely human vs. human conflict would be nice.

I want the final battle to be a masterpiece of unit placement and layout design, no boring HP sinks.

Design wise- avoid the folly of Validar and Jedah, Disney has no place in FE.

Making the actual ingame conflict a tug-and-pull between hero and villain, instead of one constantly being on the offensive, and the other the defensive, would be another likable trait.

Make sure all villains who are supposed to be hyped up get adequate screentime beforehand so we can feel the hype. Be sure minor villains die at the right time too, fish stinks if it's left around for too long. Don't force us to sympathize with villains who we don't sympathize with.

A Dragon, a Demon, Something hideous. Something evil as the definition applies. Something extremely dangerous.

Something that is love to hate are my favorite and ideal villains and I do not want my fire emblem game to stray from that. Jean Michel Roger from Yugioh ARC V is my favorite villain of all time. Here is some notes on what I look for in a villain

1. Treats people like chess pieces

2. Has a desire to rule the world and possess limitless power

3. Has no regard for the wellfare of his/her minions

4. Someone who is very smart and manipulative when this villain is thinking clearly

5. Completely Loses is it when something goes wrong

Most importantly, a well-written one. If they have that, I wouldn't care what species the villain was.

If I were to get specific, a human villain instead of some god or deity would be nice. I think a human villain would be easier to write, while also allowing more freedom on how to characterize them. Dragons and gods tend to follow the same pattern in FE stories, but the humans generally have varying, more interesting reasons.

To put it simply, calm collected, and resigned. The character is somewhat opologetic torwards the main lord, beacause they have no personal grudge against them, they are simply getting in the way of their plans, and they can accept that. Also, it would be interesting if their class was the promoted form of a Cleric.

I just want a well-written, well-executed villain with clear goals, consistent characterization, and good story presence. Whether they're human or dragon is irrelevant to me.

13 minutes ago, AzureSen said:

I just want a well-written, well-executed villain with clear goals, consistent characterization, and good story presence. Whether they're human or dragon is irrelevant to me.

Same here. I just want a villain who acts like a human being and not a cardboard cutout of Dick Dastardly. I don't actually care if they're a human, dragon, or an evil talking platypus (OK, that last one might be hard to take seriously no matter how well-written they are). As a rule of thumb, you should be able to ask "why are they doing this?" at any point (at least in retrospect, since I understand the point of keeping a villain's goals and motivations mysterious before the end) and have the answer be something other than "because EVIL!!!"

To be honest, this is something I've wanted since... Genealogy? Yeah, Genealogy. You see my Avatar? I've always wanted a dragon-human hybrid villain. Maybe as something like what Ashinard does, with the main human warrior villain or main human sorcerer villain calling upon the evil dragon for power, transforming them into something like my avatar.

I really want a villain who is an outright asshole and isn't apologetic for it or even have redeeming qualities for it.  Of course, I want them to be written well and also have a good backstory as to why they're the way they are.  Basically, I want a Luca Blight-esque villain from Suikoden II.

Bonus points for making the villain female because I feel like we don't see female masterminds that often.

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Just. A. Well. Executed. Villain. Nothing. Else.

Design wise- avoid the folly of Validar and Jedah, Disney has no place in FE.

I agree with the first statement. As for the second, this made me think. How about we have the villain fall to his death after getting defeated by the heroes?

Just kidding.

15 hours ago, MediocreLee said:

Bonus points for making the villain female because I feel like we don't see female masterminds that often.

They're far too rare, but at least we'll always have Kreia.

Anyway, I'll echo the sentiment that has already been brought up: no damn dragons. I just want a human conflict with human interests, handled by human characters in a human way. There are so many good ideas out there for Fire Emblem villains already, but one of my favorites was someone who suggested a villain who became a warlord out of necessity, putting an end to constant skirmishes and conflicts with force, and then expanded their influence either to keep the war machine going or because they had gotten carried away with their unification. Kuvira from The Legend of Korra was supposed to be this, but they completely blew the interesting plot in favor of...I don't even know what happened, I just remember getting pissed off that the brilliance of episode one was wasted almost instantly.

I feel like the speech in this video could work well for a Fire Emblem story.

I'd also love it if we could have dual protagonists, but play them at two different halves of the game, with the first protagonist later becoming the villain the second main character needs to stop - bonus points if you can choose who wins in the end.

Edited by Thane

I want more Villains like Lord Berkut. They need to have a legit reason for being bad. 

Or, maybe the main/ supporting villain is acting as your friend/ ally through most of the story, but then betrays you at near the end (Thinking of Scar from the Lion King). This type of Villain has be well written, they have to be manipulative to get what they want while keeping a good relationship with the main lord (Lord Agravaine from Merlin, or Gollum/ Smeagol from LotR). Then main Lord does not know, but maybe one character slowly finds out. 

The Villain has to be around for the long run. Awakening had some neat villains, but they only lasted around 7 chapters. 

Overall, the villain needs a good backstory or reason for being evil instead of "I'm Evil for no reason" or being possessed. And no dragon as the final boss, I really like Dragons, but there are too many of them as final bosses. I want something really unique for the final battle. 

I wouldn't mind more villains like Alvis, the Black Fang, and the assassins from New Mystery. I thought they were interesting, and for the most part, the members of organizations get a lot of screentime to give them a decent understanding of their characters.

I want a villain like metal face from Xenoblade Chronicles. He could be the tyrannical governor for an occupying force in the nation of the main character. He could kill someone close to the main character during their childhood (Similar to what happened to Lyn and Valbar) and the main character would instigate a rebellion against said occupying nation to get revenge for his family/village/tribe. This could eventually lead to the introduction of the main antagonist who leads the occupying nation. The governor would be a huge asshole and would seem nearly insurmountably powerful compared to the main character. The beginning of the game could have many escape and defend chapters (along with other objectives obviously) as the main character tries to rally support for the liberation army.

After writing this post, I realized that I just want a Thracia 776 remake

Edited by KliffIsTheOG

Hm... I've been catching up on my AW plots and I'm somewhat rusty on my FE ones. Not too badly, but just enough to be mildly amusing.

I think there's still plenty of room for 'evil for the sake of evil'. Someone to rope the protagonists into the war before they start getting to the questionable guys. But I vastly prefer Greyfield to Sturm- make that guy enjoy being evil. If you're going in, go ALL in.

Now that he's out of the way, villains with relatable interests... to be honest, I'm not a big fan of them. They're pretty great, yeah, but I don't like feeling like the entire plot could've been avoided had the protagonist and the antagonist just communicated better. Makes me feel like I've wasted my time, you know?

The best villains lie somewhere in between: have them believe in their goal, have it seem somewhat valid, but let the heroes keep a valid reason to stop it. For those that recognise the names, you know I'm thinking of Caulder. He had a steadfast belief in science, but he went about his business in a way that was clear that we should probably stop him. Sephiran and the final boss of Tales of Symphonia (watched the ending of Masae's LP today) are similar characters- they're right, but they're also clearly someone we're supposed to stop.

1 hour ago, phineas81707 said:

For those that recognise the names, you know I'm thinking of Caulder. He had a steadfast belief in science, but he went about his business in a way that was clear that we should probably stop him.

We already had Caulder on a smaller scale with Izuka. That said I wouldn't mind actually having him show up with his nasty CO Zone- 50% HP regen and Str/Mag and Def/Res bonuses for him and all enemy units in his range? Yes please!

Maybe IS can go a little crazy next time and set an FE DLC in the Dark Conflict/Days of Ruin world- just a brief appearance, with maybe a few unique enemies appearing, but no actual interactions with COs. Make the music remixes from DoR (the no CO battle theme called Days of Ruin in particular).

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

We already had Caulder on a smaller scale with Izuka. That said I wouldn't mind actually having him show up with his nasty CO Zone- 50% HP regen and Str/Mag and Def/Res bonuses for him and all enemy units in his range? Yes please!

Maybe IS can go a little crazy next time and set an FE DLC in the Dark Conflict/Days of Ruin world- just a brief appearance, with maybe a few unique enemies appearing, but no actual interactions with COs. Make the music remixes from DoR (the no CO battle theme called Days of Ruin in particular).

I kinda want some form of CO Powers in Fire Emblem.

But the main point of Caulder is not his interest in science, but the fact that, for the most part, Caulder's a bad guy with a goal that, if he weren't doing bad things, I'd leave him alone to go do.

Have it be a little grey alien dude with a ray gun that makes people spin around like in Mario Kart. He'll mostly be conquering lands to get magic crystals to activate the Fire Emblem, which is actually his spaceship. Dude just wants to go home but noooo, your self-righteous ass won't have that. The main characters imagine a vicious monster like Ashnard. He never talks and only ever makes this face :mellow:

Actually shit, this is just Starky from Chrono Cross. Well, make it work, I want it.

No Gharnef clones, Gharnef was great, but his archetype is repetitive and brings the stories of the games down more often than not.

EDIT: Now that i think about it, i think Type-Moon's interpretation of Iskander would make a decent villain, just a guy who wants to conquer the lands arround him and is extremelly straight-forwards about it, yet his strong ambition, charisma and the genuine value he puts in his own soldiers gives him a way with people that makes them trust him.

Edited by OakTree

• 2 weeks later...

It'd be nice to have a younger, attractive-looking villain. Berkut was a step in the right direction in that regard. Someone charismatic, so it's easy to understand why the protagonist might believe their lies, or have a hard time believing them to be truly evil.

Hmm, reading some of the posts here got me thinking ... maybe a villain whose motivations are a mixture of FE6 Zephiel, FE10 Sephiran, and Lysandre from Pokemon XY would make for an interesting final villain. Someone who either was (or had every potential to be) good and to care for people. But human stupidity and selfishness ultimately broke them because they weren't strong enough to continue being optimistic.

Maybe a noblewoman who entered the clergy (because more main female villains would be interesting) because she wanted nothing more than to help people. But she found that being a simple cleric wasn't enough to protect the people -- the true root of the issue was that the people in power were not doing enough to assist the poor, take care of bandits, etc. So she decided to take up a part in politics, believing that if the people in power knew what the common people were suffering, they would help. Because that's the job of people in power -- to help those below them. She finds that politicians are extremely corrupt, they knowingly trample on the poor to get even the slightest bit of wealth and power, and they use their pretty words to deny all accusations. The people whom she wanted to protect turn on her because she cannot got anything done.

And, when confronted with the corruption and selfishness and stupidity of the people around her, politicians and nobles and commoners alike, she finally snaps and decides that humanity is doomed and should just be purged.

I dunno, just an idea. It's always interesting to think that a villain could've been the hero of another story, if only they had more tolerance for humanity or if they were able to stay optimistic. And it's also interesting to think that maybe some of our heroes could've become villains had they snapped.