High:

Vivian

Flurrie

Mid:

Koops

Yoshi

Low:

Ms. Mowz

Factors Included: Access to AoE. Ability to hit different enemy types (eg. Spiked, Flying, etc.). Utility access. Availability is considered but not as heavily, considering how Sushi is a lot more useful against the numerous fire type enemies in Chapter 5 than Goombario is comparatively in the chapters he's in. Backtracking for upgrades/getting Ms. Mowz. For TTYD, durability also factors in.

Feel free to discuss/argue, since I'm a bit shakier on the 64 ratings due to not having played it as recently. Koops could probably be higher considering he's the only partner who can hit Spikey enemies until Yoshi which is like 2 chapters later and is the only AoE partner till Vivian, but he also has pretty heavy competition in the mid-late game considering just how good Bobbery and Vivian are and Shell Shield isn't that useful. He also has the lowest HP tied with Ms. Mowz and I don't think 1 point of Defense makes up for 5-10 HP.

Edited by Psych

get fucked by defense kid

also a useless fright jar does her job and still gives us no star points which is a bad thing

and she can't hit spikey enemies, just flying so half a point there

She has no AoE so I'm hesitant to put her higher than over Parakarry, and only one damaging move. Turbo Charge can be good on Mario with Power Bounce or something, but I feel like the paralysis moves are mediocre overall.

I don't think pierce is so good she should be top, but I'm cool with over Parakarry. Pierce doesn't exactly help Ms. Mowz that much either.

Edited by Psych

Flurrie is terrible. A fright jar does her job better, and all she gets from upgrades is the second highest HP and a fairly unique buff. Plus if you miss her basic attack action command (and it is fairly difficult in some contexts), you get zero damage rather than reduced damage. Dodgy status is cool but RNG dependent. I'd rather get the defense from Koops' buff, or an extra turn for mario using Goombella's buff. And Lip Lock is garbage. Ms Mows at least can steal items and has an AoE status effect. So I'd create a new bottom tier for Flurrie. 

For Paper Mario 1, I would swap Kooper and Watt's positions. Kooper's Fire Shell is only worthwhile in chapter 7, as I don't even remember it dealing more damage than power shell. Dizzy Shell is great, but he's still restricted to just grounded enemies. Watt deserves the move up because of the abundance of enemies with defense, plus a good buff and eventually an AoE stun. Also I don't remember there being any enemies that can't be hit by her basic attack. Maybe enemies on Fire, but definitely not spikes or electricity.

And yes, I would say Lady Bow is definitely that bad. Outta Sight makes her lose an additional turn, and the most common enemies you fight late game with no defense are Magikoopas and Gulpits. 11 and 12 HP, Fan Smack deals 10. Power Plus P does not exist in this game so it's a good move that comes way too late to be useful.

Edited by Gustavos

Flurrie's durability and Lip Lock are pretty good actually, and it's incredibly hard to miss Body Slam if you're paying attention. I'd say Flurrie is better than Koops so it's hard to argue she's lower than where she is for me.

And I'd kind of like other people's opinions on Watt, since I'm still not entirely sold. From what I remember there aren't that many enemies with defense in 64 and that's actually a bad thing for Watt, plus she has no AoE damage so you're still prolonging a mob fight trying to paralyze them when you could just kill them with Kooper or Bombette.

Watt is amazing. Definitely at least as good as Bombette, if not better. It depends mainly on how much you value ending battles quickly vs. ending them without taking damage.

Bombette's explosions are great and all, but they eat loads of FP and still fail to kill most of the high-HP enemies in the lategame in one hit. She's also extremely reliant on FP actually being available, as her basic attack is... easy to use, but not very good.
Watt, on the other hand, can hit any non-burning enemy, anywhere, and pierces defense, all without spending a single FP. Her AoE stun is also pretty much equivalent to winning the battle, as while it doesn't instantly kill your enemies, you can then pick them off at your leisure without the risk of taking any damage in the process, and usually without spending any further FP. It's cost-efficient. It's been a while, but if I'm not remembering wrong, even some (mini-)bosses are suspectible to stuns.

While we're talking about AoE attacks, Sushi should probably be higher. While her basic attack isn't half-bad (she can target any enemy that isn't on the ceiling and deals her damage in one hit, so isn't neutralized completely by defense), Tsunami, while a bit tricky to use, is the single highest-damage AoE attack in the game and hits all enemies without fail. If you're really good at it, you can reliably deal upwards of 8 damage with it.

Kooper, on the other hand, should probably not be in Top. His AoE attack is the earliest one available, but it doesn't scale very well later in the game, and his complete inability to hit flying targets in any way, shape or form makes makes him... inconvenient, as flying enemies are pretty common. While he can hit any grounded enemy without taking damage, not being able to target non-front enemies without spending FP for a weak AoE attack is also suboptimal.

On instinct, I want to say that every time I've played the game kooper was bench fodder past chapter 2. I pretty much agree with watt as a high or even top charather, His FP effieciency is especially nice if you are using mario's charge and super charge for your main damage anyway.

I'd like to say that goombario is surprinsgly useful in chapter 1 due flipping koopas over, and alright in chapter 6 against the flying enemies . Parakarry isn't really suited to "generic enemies" but is pretty much the go to against the minibosses until you get sushi  because of his single target ability(chain chomps, blooper , maybe even koopa jr 3-4 are pretty much the apex of his career)

Also sushi is a boss and I usually keep him since his AOE can oneshot the bees in the chapter 6, unlike bombette's AOE, and he breaks even with her in C7-C8. But his availability is annoying. His availability does deserve to keep him in mid though. 

On 6/17/2017 at 9:52 PM, Psych said:

Flurrie's durability and Lip Lock are pretty good actually, and it's incredibly hard to miss Body Slam if you're paying attention. I'd say Flurrie is better than Koops so it's hard to argue she's lower than where she is for me.

And I'd kind of like other people's opinions on Watt, since I'm still not entirely sold. From what I remember there aren't that many enemies with defense in 64 and that's actually a bad thing for Watt, plus she has no AoE damage so you're still prolonging a mob fight trying to paralyze them when you could just kill them with Kooper or Bombette.

There are a plenty of defense enemies in 64. All of the final dungeon is enemies with 1-2 defense except for Magikoopas. Four major bosses have 2 defense (final) Jr Troopa, (Final) Bowser, General Guy, and Crystal King. Plus Kent C. Koopa has 6 but he's optional. Watt's basic attack is the same 5 damage as everybody else's basic attack, except for Goombario's potential 6. That's huge for an extended fight against a boss with defense. For any enemy with 1 defense or more, Watt is the highest damage output without spending FP

AoE damage from Bombette/Kooper is great, but you've got to pair it with a Star Storm or other AoE damage item in order to finish off the enemies in chapter 4 onward where 7+ HP becomes the standard. Power bomb only deals 6 until ultra ranks at the end of chapter 5 where it's lava bubbles at 9HP and Piranhas at 12HP. 

55 minutes ago, Reality said:

Parakarry isn't really suited to "generic enemies" but is pretty much the go to against the minibosses until you get sushi  because of his single target ability(chain chomps, blooper , maybe even koopa jr 3-4 are pretty much the apex of his career)

Also sushi is a boss and I usually keep him since his AOE can oneshot the bees in the chapter 6, unlike bombette's AOE, and he breaks even with her in C7-C8. But his availability is annoying. His availability does deserve to keep him in mid though. 

If you spend one of your first two or three ultra ranks on him, Parakarry's air raid gets the job done in chapter 6. But yeah, Sushie's attacks mirror parakarry, with the exception of water block being a good move where parakarry just has Air Lift.

Bow over Lakilester.  Although Spike has AoE (a weak one IRRC) and can actually damage foes with defense, Bow's Outta Sight still has more uses than he ever will. 

Whether Yoshi is better than Koops is debatable I think. Koops can attack enemies with defense, spikes, and on fire without spending FP, unlike Yoshi. But Yoshi does can attack airborne foes, and given a large investment, Yoshi can deal some the highest partner damage outside of Multbonk Goombella. Either way, both certainly beat out Ms. Mowz (who'd be a bit better if Smooch was more FP efficient).

That's debatable. Outta Sight is much less important than Veil, considering damage doesn't get as high as in TTYD and there's much less AoE that can hit Mario and the Partner. So it's comparatively less valuable.

I feel like those points you bring up make Koops better, but I'd hear more discussion on it first. And Yoshi might have more damage, but any points of defense kind of ruin him.

1 hour ago, Psych said:

I feel like those points you bring up make Koops better, but I'd hear more discussion on it first. And Yoshi might have more damage, but any points of defense kind of ruin him.

Doing some Badge lookups, Power Plus P (which is very unviable at a 6 BP cost, but I want to get it out of the way) can be obtain in Glitzville and Rogueport Sewers via Star Piece exchanging. P-Up D-Down P is even worse, not until the Palace of Shadows is it obtainable.

On the plus side, Charge P is available as early Glitzville.

And if we're willing to manipulate Yoshi's HP ahead of time, we can use Quick Change on top of Power Rush P (buyable at the Pianta Parlor and the Lovely House of Mowz) and Mega Rush P (obtained in Petalburg) to boost Yoshi's damage by 7 (if I'm doing my math right). For a level 3 perfectly executed Ground Pound/Stampede, this means it deals 8-7-6-5-4-3 damage (33 total) on a 0 Defense enemy, 21 total on a 2 Defense enemy. At Super Rank (which we'll be putting up with for a while), it's 8-7-6-5-4 for 25 damage on a 0 Def and 13 on a 2 Def. It'll be a chore to set up at 9 BP cost (but Quick Change by itself is generally worth it, though on a tier list I'm not sure if it should be brought up, because it basically reduces all the Partners to a single unit) and the HP manipulation, but you can do all of this as soon as Yoshi joins. If we exclude Quick Change, then things get more complicated, as Yoshi can't be out when there are enemies with AoE or who can bypass Mario, who has to tank in such a scenario to keep Peril Yoshi safe (though we might be able to kill the dangerous enemies first).

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Badges should probably not be considered. If we do, that automatically means Danger Mario could exist, and given that it's not only easier to set up on him than on any of his partners, but also potentially a lot more powerful given the variety of different attacks Mario can perform in combination with other badges, the existence of his partners becomes pretty much irrelevant as far as offense is concerned.