Problem Starting Up MAKE HACK.cmd

Moblin Major General

So, I'm using the Ultimate Tutorial v2, and I got to the part to assemble the MAKE HACK.cmd file. Instead of doing what it should and allow me to type in the Command Prompt, it tells me that the files don't exist. Is it operator error? Also, I can't take a screenshot because everytime I try to, it closes the program. If I could get a screenshot off, it would definitely help me explain my problem.

Edited by Hylian Air Force

Here it is. It seems to be a problem with the second to last line in that my computer fails to recognize Core. I fixed the file issue by looking at the file name and realizing I spelled it wrong.

MAKE HACK.cmd

Edited by Hylian Air Force

the file MAKE HACK.cmd should be in the same folder as the Event Assembler executable -- there's a file called Core in that folder as well. This is what MAKE HACK.cmd relies on

Just kidding! It should be the folder immediately outside of EA

Edited by CT075

I was wrong; I misread the file you gave me.

Let's break down exactly what this cmd file does:

cd %~dp0
copy "Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones (U).gba" "Kcah Melbme Erif.gba"
cd "%~dp0EventAssembler"
Core AF E8 "output:%~dp0KcahMelbmeErif.gba" "-input:%~dp0ROMBuildfile.txt"
pause

%~dp0 is drive and path of the 0th argument (that is, the batch file itself). cd is "see directory" -- so we're entering the folder that the batch file lives in.

copy is self-explanatory

cd "%~dp0EventAssembler" moves into the subdirectory "EventAssembler" (spelled exactly like that, spaces and everything) from the path of the batch file

Core A FE8 is "run the EA Core executable with arguments A and FE8". If you've been keeping track, A stands for Assemble.

So if your command prompt is not recognizing Core, it's likely that it's either in the wrong folder or your version of EA is outdated (unlikely; EA has included the Core executable for years before make hack was a thing)

Edited by CT075

Yes its 11.0.1 i even have the core, but i noticed something odd...

Your EventAssembler (Spelled like that for clarity) looks weird, my makehack.cmd file, while more complicated, has Event Assembler(Again for clarity) written on it. Basically your computer is moving to a folder that doesn't exist, as EventAssembler and Event Assembler are 2 different things to computers

TL;DR try to respell EventAssembler as Event Assembler and that should maybe fix your problem

Edited by 19thsword

So, I tried moving Core from EA to Root, and it said that Core has stopped working when running MAKE HACK. It's almost like the Command prompt can't recognize anything not in the main folder. This has been a prevalent problem ever since I started a few days ago. It really sucks when I can't make it out of a tutorial.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2017 at 6:54 AM, Hylian Air Force said:

Okay, so I renamed the EA folder, but now it says I need to clarify the output file. What is that supposed to mean?

Does anyone know what this means? I've tried playing around with it, but it's not doing anything.