The sides of Hoshido/Nohr

Bronze

Well, I'm not the smartest cookie in the jar, the most historical book on the shelf, or the most creative cloud in the sky, but there's one question that has been nagging me for a while and I'm surprised that it has not been brought up yet. 

Why is the eastern culture of the light and western culture of the dark? I'm not at all going by personal opinions, just things that I think about. There's nothing wrong with darkness or lightness, so no offence should be taken.

But let me explain, Hoshido is home to ninjas, Oni savages, and samurai. Nohr is where the knights, paladins, and heroes are from. 

The sacred weapons of Nohr is named after heroes and one of them means peace and victory. The Hishidian sacred weapons are named after gods who are sometimes considered troublemakers.

Even their respective music seems kind of backwards. The bagpipes and whatnot is louder, has more presence, and reminds me of something proud like light to me. Whenever I heard the instruments of Hoshido (before playing fates) it was usually within a stealth ninja game or Naruto.

I don't at all mind it; I'm just curious.

Thoughts?

Hoshido is probably the light because its based on the homeland of the creators. Nohr is dark and irredeemably evil because it opposes the country based on the homeland of the creators. 

I mean, the moral highground clearly swaying much more to a single country then it usually does probably isn't a coincidence if there's a reason IS would be partial to such a country. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Great point. I have no argument there.

It just sucks because I thought the point of the light vs dark thing in a game where you get to choose the side (technically) is to brake away from the whole "Light is good and dark is bad" thing. 

Heck, they probably would have done a better job with that if Nohr was of light and were still the assholes while the dark, Hoshidian country is still that peace loving kingdom and crap.

Edited by Bronze

• 1 month later...

There are two reasons I can think of. 

1. There are more villain characters in Nohr (Garon and his goons are the most obviouse example). Since darker colors are usually associated with evil and a good share of the villains you face in all routes are Nohrian, darker colors are used in their design and as a byproduct, Nohrian aesthetic. 

2. Gothic color schemes and story archetypes are far more common in western art. As a result it would have made more sense to the creators to pair up the darker, more brooding colors with the faction that was meant to mimic western culture.