Just Starting

FlowerDxmon

So I just got my hands on a way to play GBA version FE7? I don't know what number it is but it is the GBA version, I'm extremely excited but I was just wondering if there were any tips and/or tricks to not screwing up since the units die and stay dead in the older games.  

Yeah, the GBA game that's just called "Fire Emblem" is FE7.

It's a pretty straight forward Fire Emblem game, and a solid starting place for a "classic" Fire Emblem. A bit on the easier side, but it'll probably be challenging enough for somebody who's never experienced permadeath-only FE games.

Some general tips:

- Don't be super liberal with Lyn's Mani Katti, Eliwood's Rapier, or Hector's Wolf Beil. They're the best weapons for these units for a long time, and breaking them early can make things difficult. I'd say leave them as boss killers.

- Speaking of Lyn, Eliwood and Hector, make the best use of them you can. You'll want all of them to be reasonably high-level, pretty much max level unpromoted, by chapter 23. Of the 3, you'll probably get the most use out of Hector. In general you'll want all of them to be capable of being on the front lines at all time, as there can be some tricky recruitments that need you to haul-ass, so them not falling behind is key.

- Give your thieves all of the torches for fog of war maps. They'll make the best use of them.

- If you don't like Erk, or you do, but he's turning out poorly, don't bother using him. You'll see why eventually.

- Canas, however, is worth using, and having a dark magic user with Luna for the final chapter of the game can save you some frustration. So to add to this, always make sure you have one Luna tome after you get Canas.

- If you beat Eliwood's story and still want more, Hector's story is a harder, different version of the game. You get some extra chapter maps, more story, and an extra recruitable unit on Hector's route, which makes the game worth replaying if you've still got an itch to play. Also, replaying Lyn's mode on hard basically removes the forced, scripted segments, so you can replay that and try different stuff out(Like using the Knight's Crest on someone else).

That's basically it for my tips. I'm sure others will have more tips. Like I said, FE7 isn't super difficult, so you can just use whoever and have fun with your first run.

Edited by Slumber

FE7's generally fairly gentle, especially on the easier difficulties. Just don't be cause out by rescue, it's not pair up!

Your lords are all fairly passable units, and their personal weapons do pretty well against cavalry and armours - which much of the early game enemies consist of. Feel free to use them, by the time they break, you'll be facing other enemy types and you'll have better weapons to use. You don't actually have to use the other two lords for too many chapters, in theory you could bench them entirely!

The game pretty much throws magic users at you, so even if you don't raise any of them, you'll have at least two decent ones for endgame. Father Christmas can pretty much handle the final boss by himself! Most units are pretty genuine in FE7, if they come with good stats, they're probably good! On the other hand, if their stats are lacklustre and the prospects of above average growths don't tempt you, they can be safely benched.

Hector's Mode is essentially a slightly tweaked version of Eliwood's Mode. It's a little harder in places and everyone has reavers for some reason, but it's not too bad. There's also the prospect of two characters that you'll probably never use!

In summary, FE7's generally a fairly pleasant experience. If all goes wrong, Marcus and friends can usually bail you out!

I don't think there are any chapters so frustrating that you'll be resetting constantly if you don't like having your units die and then continuing tbh. FE7 isn't that hard.

Use Marcus.  He's much better than Frederick because his bases basically carry him for 90% of the game (especially if you're playing on NM).

49 minutes ago, Slumber said:

- Don't be super liberal with Lyn's Mani Katti, Eliwood's Rapier, or Hector's Wolf Beil. They're the best weapons for these units for a long time, and breaking them early can make things difficult. I'd say leave them as boss killers.

9 minutes ago, Shin said:

Your lords are all fairly passable units, and their personal weapons do pretty well against cavalry and armours - which much of the early game enemies consist of. Feel free to use them, by the time they break, you'll be facing other enemy types and you'll have better weapons to use. You don't actually have to use the other two lords for too many chapters, in theory you could bench them entirely!

Stick with what Shin said here; You'll have other units that will be more than capable of killing bosses without the requirement of using up the PRF weapons for the respective lords, mostly because other units can move farther and have good enough power to get the job done with standard weapons (Marcus, Sain, Kent and pretty much any flying unit fit this bill). 

I guess the last tip is to not be afraid to use Marcus. He gets less EXP than others (as prepromoted units traditionally do in FE) but he gets pretty much the same EXP from a bosskill that anybody else does, and his growths aren't as bad as you might think they are when combined with his relatively good base stats

6 minutes ago, Elieson said:

I guess the last tip is to not be afraid to use Marcus. He gets less EXP than others (as prepromoted units traditionally do in FE) but he gets pretty much the same EXP from a bosskill that anybody else does, and his growths aren't as bad as you might think they are when combined with his relatively good base stat.

This is also true. I personally don't like using Marcus, just since I find using prepromotes early in the story fairly boring, but Marcus is end-game material in his own right. I remember lending my best friend FE7 back in middle school, and finding Marcus on his team in the last chapter when I got the game back a few months later.

Just don't use him exclusively. Your other units will need love, too.

Edited by Slumber

Most important tip for any FE game. Stick to a small core of about 8-10 units, and fill in the remaining spots with whatever filler units you want. Don't try to use everyone. There is no way to grind to get stronger if you come to a map that is too tough for you. It's better to have several over-powered units than to have 20+ average units.

3 minutes ago, Hawk King said:

Most important tip for any FE game. Stick to a small core of about 8-10 units, and fill in the remaining spots with whatever filler units you want. Don't try to use everyone. There is no way to grind to get stronger if you come to a map that is too tough for you. It's better to have several over-powered units than to have 20+ average units.

FE7 has the Ranking system, which if you want to maximize your ranks, requires that you shuffle units. Just an FYI

2 minutes ago, Elieson said:

FE7 has the Ranking system, which if you want to maximize your ranks, requires that you shuffle units. Just an FYI

Yeah, but for a first time player that isn't very important. Obsessing over your ranking can lead to a massively underleveled team, which can completely end a playthrough on a couple of those later maps.

7 minutes ago, Hawk King said:

Yeah, but for a first time player that isn't very important. Obsessing over your ranking can lead to a massively underleveled team, which can completely end a playthrough on a couple of those later maps.

Entirely Valid. Ranked runs require some pretty hefty advanced knowledge

Don't worry about losing anyone in Lyn's mode. They're actually not gone forever if they get beat there, I think. They'll return in Eliwood's mode. But only pick certain units to focus on there, because otherwise, they'll come back underleveled when they show up again in Eliwood's mode. I personally recommend Sain and one of Wil or Rath (because Rebecca is crap). Sain has a high str growth (one of the highest in the game, in fact), and decent speed and def. With certain weapons, he'll actually one-shot a lot of stuff. I gave him a horseslayer once right after promoting him and any horse that came his way was dead in a second. He's one of the best units in the game. Wil and Rath can both be good bow wielders, though some go Rath because he gets another weapon when he promotes. If he doesn't work out though, Wil is effective enough to use in his place.

You could try using Florina and Erk too, but they're outclassed by units you get in Eliwood's mode (Fiora and Pent, respectively), if you ask me.

This is just my opinion though. And I never finished FE7, so I can't really give you advice for any late game stuff. I lost interest.

25 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Don't worry about losing anyone in Lyn's mode. They're actually not gone forever if they get beat there, I think. They'll return in Eliwood's mode. But only pick certain units to focus on there, because otherwise, they'll come back underleveled when they show up again in Eliwood's mode. I personally recommend Sain and one of Wil or Rath (because Rebecca is crap). Sain has a high str growth (one of the highest in the game, in fact), and decent speed and def. With certain weapons, he'll actually one-shot a lot of stuff. I gave him a horseslayer once right after promoting him and any horse that came his way was dead in a second. He's one of the best units in the game. Wil and Rath can both be good bow wielders, though some go Rath because he gets another weapon when he promotes. If he doesn't work out though, Wil is effective enough to use in his place.

Blasphemy. Wil has speed problems, and speed is arguably more important than strength(His main selling point over Rebecca) to a certain degree, given the squishiness of FE7's enemies. Plus, Rebecca's got better support options.

However, it doesn't really matter if you're dedicating yourself to one bow user. Rath blows them both out of the water. He's stronger than Wil, only slightly slower than Rebecca, and tankier than both. Plus, he has a horse and gains a close range option at promotion. His supports are sketchier, and he has noticeably worse availability, but neither of these are big enough problems to negate his natural advantages.

Or you could just use Geitz, one of the least RNG-screwable units in the game.

Edited by Slumber

26 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Or you could just use Geitz, one of the least RNG-screwable units in the game.

Geitz requires certain prerequisites though, since he's only in a chapter that's available under certain circumstances.

Just now, Anacybele said:

Geitz requires certain prerequisites though, since he's only in a chapter that's available under certain circumstances.

Yeah, but that prerequisite isn't crazy hard to hit(Which is why I gave him the tip to train the lords).

Some tips:

-Avoid heavy weapons - they weigh your units down and make it harder for them to dodge or double attack if their weight exceeds the Con of the user

-Beware of Luna  - it negates resistance and has a high crit rate, in addition to being pretty accurate for dark magic

-Speaking of, the only dark magic user outside of a certain last chapter recruit is in a gaiden chapter

arenaabuselikeyourlifedependsonit

• While some people have cemented characters they want to use, don't be afraid to try out different characters and check out what their strengths and weaknesses are.
  • Pay attention to the weight on weapons as some of them can hinder some of your better units.
  • If you're playing Blazing Sword (FE7 aka the one with Eliwood, Lyn, and Hector), you don't have to worry about losing anyone while doing Lyn's story as she is mostly tutorial.  However, afterwards be wary of character placement and enemy reinforcements.
  • Use your dancers/bards as they can save you on so many occasions.
  • andarenaabuselikeyourlifedependsonit

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2017 at 8:01 PM, Slumber said:

Don't be super liberal with Lyn's Mani Katti, Eliwood's Rapier, or Hector's Wolf Beil. They're the best weapons for these units for a long time, and breaking them early can make things difficult. I'd say leave them as boss killers.

Its advised to abuse her Mani Katti in her story since she can reuse it again in Eliwood's story. Other than that, yeah pretty much what you said although this game gives you lots of good units from midway onwards that there's little reasons to save them.

FE7 is lenient. You won't go through a whole lot of dying units and starting maps over again until near end game which by then you should be having strong units.

The only thing that this game is a bit stingy on is recruiting some of the units as well as one promotion item that comes very late in the game and is pointless by then.

Yeah abusing Katti us OK in Lyn mode. Speaking of, make sure Nils get level 7 before her mode ends.

Also I would recommend reclass Lyn first and grind her bow rank. Her legendary weapon is really heavy and slow her down. Reinfleche is better suited for her.

Alfa drops go to Nino usually (but You can give then anyone you want and use Pent instead if you wish) and you should probably want support Eliwood with Ninian for happier ending. Check how to access secret chapters and shops on wiki. 

Edited by Tenzen12

3 hours ago, Tenzen12 said:

make sure Nils get level 7 before her mode ends.

Not on a first playthrough. That affects something that you can't even get in Eliwood's story, so no need to worry about grinding Nils for that.

There are a few units that aren't immediately apparent how you recruit them: if you get a chapter with a lake and a purple haired guy, he has to recruited by a pirate and there's nothing in the story to hint that, and there's a wyvern unit who can be talked to with one of the lords or the dancer (That one surprised me). Most are hinted at in the story or are recruited by a lord (or it's pretty apparent who would talk to that unit)

19 hours ago, Tenzen12 said:

Also I would recommend reclass Lyn first and grind her bow rank. Her legendary weapon is really heavy and slow her down. Reinfleche is better suited for her.

Uh..you mean promote right? 

Also..c'mon. Dude just started the game and you're already talking some strategy for the final boss and spoiling some of the fun as well.

I used word reclass intentionally (though it's mostly my own thing so I could write it differently) as yo get S rank means go full bows.

Anyway chill out it's not like said anything especially profound or spoiler-ish just general advice.

I wouldn't worry too much about what units to use for a first playthrough. The only surefire way to weed out your favorites is to try them all and see how they fare in the long run. Your first playthrough of the game isn't that difficult as long as you're playing defensively. I don't believe any chapters have time constraints (at least in Eliwood's story), so unless you want a good tactics ranking, I would take the time to familiarize yourself with everything and take things turn by turn. There will be some instances where moving quickly will be ideal (such as when recruiting a certain character), but overall you don't have to rush through the game. 

If you want advice on what units tend to turn out the best in my experience, I would go with any or all of the cavaliers, obviously all three lords, the pegasus knights, Raven, and a few others. Just about anyone is viable if RNG is in their favor.

Enjoy your experience! FE7 is one of my favorite games in the series.

Edited by Xanaxian