Thracia 776 NP/ROM version differences compilation thread

sirmola

I recently began playing the new menu translation of thracia 776 (having previously played through the story-only translation. This translation was created from the NP version, unlike the old one, which was created from the ROM version. It is commonly stated that the only major difference was the ranking system. However, I have noticed changes to enemy pallets. During my playhrough, I will maintain a list in this post of any differences that I notice. Please feel free to list any differences that you know about or find, and I will update this post. Note that I am just playing through the game casualy. I will  not necessarily notice things like changes to things like base stats and growth rates.

The List:

• Ranking system: this is the well known one. In the NP version, the maximum of each rateing is A. In the ROM version, the maximum is S.
  • Pallets: In the NP Version, the map sprites of NPCs and enemies who have their hair exposed (like civilians and mages), have white hair. In the Rom version, they have a vareity of hair colors (such as brown for npc civilians, and purple for enemies..

THis list has been updated up to the end of chapter 7.

On 5/28/2017 at 7:05 AM, ChimeraHardline said:

Besides using pre-rendered images for all the menu text, I also:

• Added double-roll RNG for hit/miss calculations
  • Updated the color palettes for map sprites
  • Changed some flying unit sprites
  • Made it ignore the checksum on save files (this was really just for my convenience, but I'm sure others could find it useful).

Seems to be a deliberate choice by Chimera. Still not sure how I feel about it tbh.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there, you're correct that the palette differences are because of me and not a difference in the NP/ROM versions, and sorry that they're not to everyone's taste. In retrospect my release was kind of a hurried mess in which I threw everything I had at the moment online, knowing I'd be too busy to get it done if I waited any longer, so I just hadn't put much thought into removing these fun little hacks. For future updates I plan to make graphical mods optional so they're not forced upon everyone using the translation.