What kind of husband and father would Ike be?

Anacybele

2 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Honestly though, you were kind of asking for this drama when you posted a topic like this

Seriously? You, my own good friend of all people saying this?

I was NOT asking for shit like this. This was NEVER about shipping or whether you think Ike would marry. Why would I have expected anyone to make posts on those things?

I can't believe you would blame ME for what other people are doing in here. Take that somewhere else.

...And people STILL don't listen. (referring to Azz's post. It's not trolling, but ONCE AGAIN, THIS IS NOT ABOUT WHETHER YOU THINK IKE WOULD MARRY)

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Topic. Some good responses and some not so good responses.

…my thoughts…

So first of all; one of the really cool things they did with the new games is introduce the idea of multiverse theory to Fire Emblem, with the lore behind the Outrealms and alternate timelines in Awakening.

So now we can retroactively apply that to the older sagas, like Tellius. Where we have always had these alternate paired endings and solo endings and fanshippings--the kinda-sorta-not-really psuedo-canon of FE fluff that we love to have fun with.

And what we can now do is say without contradiction:

-There is an Ike that settles down later in life to marry in the traditional way and start a traditional family

-There is an Ike who is completely asexual, and just devotes his whole life to training and fighting and random acts of heroism

-There is an Ike who is gay for Soren

-There is an Ike who falls for Lethe, starts a new branded bloodline, and has to live with the consequence of forming an interracial family in what even after the events of FE10 is still a very racially divided and bigoted place to form an interracial family. (this one I find most intriguing, and  is my personal headcanon)

Somewhere in the Outrealms is a timeline where each such Ike lived and died and carried out the events of the Tellius Saga in his own way.

As to the question of what type of father and husband Ike would be, in the timelines where he becomes a father and a husband.

I feel like we can largely extrapolate that from his conduct as a mercenary commander, since he pretty much regards the Griel Mercenaries as his family and treats them as such.

…from that…

I don’t get the sense that Ike would be a particularly passionate husband or doting father. (as opposed to, say, Hector)

But he would be:

-loyal

-protective

-stern with his children

-deferential to his wife (that is to say, he would not accept the patriarchal role of “lord-Husband” or expect his wife to listen to him because she’s the woman and he’s the man; he would see her as a partner in the truest sense of the word)

On that last note, I don’t think Ike could be with a meek woman who would expect him to fill the role of lord-Husband. He would need a strong, willful woman who challenges him—i.e. a Lethe—someone who he can in fact truly regard and rely upon as a partner in the truest sense of the word. 

And that, I think, would be the driving dynamic behind their entire relationship.

Edited by Shoblongoo

19 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Good Topic. Some good responses and some not so good responses.

…my thoughts…

So first of all; one of the really cool things they did with the new games is introduce the idea of multiverse theory to Fire Emblem, with the lore behind the Outrealms and alternate timelines in Awakening.

So now we can retroactively apply that to the older sagas, like Tellius. Where we have always had these alternate paired endings and solo endings and fanshippings--the kinda-sorta-not-really psuedo-canon of FE fluff that we love to have fun with.

And what we can now do is say without contradiction:

-There is an Ike that settles down later in life to marry in the traditional way and start a traditional family

-There is an Ike who is completely asexual, and just devotes his whole life to training and fighting and random acts of heroism

-There is an Ike who is gay for Soren

-There is an Ike who falls for Lethe, starts a new branded bloodline, and has to live with the consequence of forming an interracial family in what even after the events of FE10 is still a very racially divided and bigoted place to form an interracial family. (this one I find most intriguing, and  is my personal headcanon)

Somewhere in the Outrealms is a timeline where each such Ike lived and died and carried out the events of the Tellius Saga in his own way.

As to the question of what type of father and husband Ike would be, in the timelines where he becomes a father and a husband.

I feel like we can largely extrapolate that from his conduct as a mercenary commander, since he pretty much regards the Griel Mercenaries as his family and treats them as such.

…from that…

I don’t get the sense that Ike would be a particularly passionate husband or doting father. (as opposed to, say, Hector)

But he would be:

-loyal

-protective

-stern with his children

-deferential to his wife (that is to say, he would not accept the patriarchal role of “lord-Husband” or expect his wife to listen to him because she’s the woman and he’s the man; he would see her as a partner in the truest sense of the word)

On that last note, I don’t think Ike could be with a meek woman who would expect him to fill the role of lord-Husband. He would need a strong, willful woman who challenges him—i.e. a Lethe—someone who he can in fact truly regard and rely upon as a partner in the truest sense of the word. 

And that, I think, would be the driving dynamic behind their entire relationship.

Very good post. Well done! :)

And by your logic, there's even an Ike that got with Elincia too, then! This is the timeline I work with, of course. :P I agree with the whole Outrealm thing too. By confirming a buttload of headcanons, this feature makes a lot of us happy! So arguing about shipping is completely pointless. And as I said, this thread isn't even about shipping.

I mostly agree with what you say about Ike here too. He definitely wouldn't make his wife listen to him just because he's the man and she's the woman. He's not like that at all. He treats everyone equally and judges by character, not background or gender or anything.

Edited by Anacybele

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

...And people STILL don't listen. (referring to Azz's post. It's not trolling, but ONCE AGAIN, THIS IS NOT ABOUT WHETHER YOU THINK IKE WOULD MARRY)

I know a lot of people have posted that they don't think Ike would marry (myself being one of them), but they've also made a point to post their opinions about him as a potential husband/father. Azz stayed on topic and contributed to the discussion about what kind of father he thought he would be despite the fact that he didn't think he would marry. See:

However, I do feel he would adopt along his travels. I feel like he would parent in a way similar to Greil was a parent to him and Mist. They would have a pretty good relationship, even though Ike would act a bit distant and would show some tough love, however over their adventures they would bond very closely and overall it would just be really fucking cute and shit.

There were some kind of trollish posts, but from my perspective, the majority of the posts have been contributing to your OP. You've gotten everything from a troubled father to hip dad. 

1 minute ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

I know a lot of people have posted that they don't think Ike would marry (myself being one of them), but they've also made a point to post their opinions about him as a potential husband/father. Azz stayed on topic and contributed to the discussion about what kind of father he thought he would be despite the fact that he didn't think he would marry. See:

There were some kind of trollish posts, but from my perspective, the majority of the posts have been contributing to your OP. You've gotten everything from a troubled father to hip dad. 

I'm aware, and you're right, but my point is that you don't need to say if you think Ike would marry or not because that's not what this thread's point is.

There were still too many trollish posts though.

Just now, Anacybele said:

I'm aware, and you're right, but my point is that you don't need to say if you think Ike would marry or not because that's not what this thread's point is.

There were still too many trollish posts though.

I think it's a valid opinion for people to think that Ike wouldn't be a husband at all. lol As long as people are contributing to the conversation you intended, there's no reason to get upset. Now it would be pointless to post an entire argument about who Ike marries or whether he does or not since your OP said that's not the main purpose. 

I count a handful of trollish posts at most. Most people are trying to provide decent discussion.

3 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

I think it's a valid opinion for people to think that Ike wouldn't be a husband at all. lol As long as people are contributing to the conversation you intended, there's no reason to get upset. Now it would be pointless to post an entire argument about who Ike marries or whether he does or not since your OP said that's not the main purpose. 

I count a handful of trollish posts at most. Most people are trying to provide decent discussion.

I never said it wasn't a valid opinion. It's simply not the point of this thread. It's asking what you think Ike would be like as a husband and father, not if you think Ike would ever marry and have kids at all.

And like I said, still too many trollish posts, at least at the time that I posted the lock request. I also PM'd a mod to lock it.

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

I never said it wasn't a valid opinion. It's simply not the point of this thread. It's asking what you think Ike would be like as a husband and father, not if you think Ike would ever marry and have kids at all.

And like I said, still too many trollish posts, at least at the time that I posted the lock request.

And I'm saying that people still answered your question about what kind of father/husband Ike would be. Azz as well. (I only really brought it up because you called him out which I thought was weird.) But I'll leave it alone. 

I've already stated my thoughts on the topic, and I can't contribute anything else to the discussion it seems.

41 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Very good post. Well done! :)

And by your logic, there's even an Ike that got with Elincia too, then! This is the timeline I work with, of course. :P I agree with the whole Outrealm thing too. By confirming a buttload of headcanons, this feature makes a lot of us happy! So arguing about shipping is completely pointless. And as I said, this thread isn't even about shipping.

I mostly agree with what you say about Ike here too. He definitely wouldn't make his wife listen to him just because he's the man and she's the woman. He's not like that at all. He treats everyone equally and judges by character, not background or gender or anything.

Ike x Elincia is…problematic...

FE9 Elincia is too much a damsel-in-distress type figure to arouse any romantic interest in Ike.

Then FE10 Elincia is way too heavily portrayed as having romantic feelings for Geoffery.

Then after-the-fact. Its canonical that Elincia does not abdicate her role as queen after FE10 and spends the rest of her life in court, so whosoever she takes as a husband must live in her castle and spend the rest of their life as a court figure.  

…I just can’t see Ike ever being comfortable in or happy with that role…for anyone…

I could perhaps see Ike as an illicit paramour. Who Elincia occasionally takes on-the-side after entering into some loveless political marriage with a local noble, with the unspoken understanding that the marriage is a sham and Elincia is the Queen, and the Queen gets to bed whoever she wants because she’s the Queen.  

…Supposing that such a union produced a child…

Well now that would be quite the scandal, wouldn’t it.

Elincia wouldn’t be able to keep the child in court; a blue-haired bastard with no resemblance to the King and an overwhelming resemblance to a certain renowned hero who’s known to pay the Queen—visits—would be just a bit too on-the-nose for the court nobles.

The most logical course of action would be for Elincia to give the child to Ike, to be raised by the Greil Mercenaries and grow strong under his/her father’s care.

And that would be a parent-child relationship worthy of a convoluted, “I’m so sorry I couldn’t tell you sooner” FE plot.

-How long does Ike wait to tell the kid his/her mother is major royalty?

-How does he break the news?

-What set of circumstances would need to arise before Ike tells his child “…oh…by the way son…keep this on the downlow. You’re a prince. And the rightful heir to the throne of Crimea.”

Which is almost more interesting then the idea of Ike and Elincia actually getting married.

Edited by Shoblongoo

As stoic as Ike is, it is worth remembering he does from time to time crack a smile and display some emotion. In particular I'm thinking of him talking to Yune after slaying Ashera, and also the Ranulf and Reyson supports, namely the "it felt good when you punched Oliver" line. He'd be capable of providing his children with a tender moment or two every so often.

Someone said adopting, and that wasn't uncommon from what I'm aware of in Medieval Japan. Ike is a powerful stoic swordsman like the fabled Musashi, who did adopt as part of his familial duties and to pass down his sword techniques.

15 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Ike x Elincia is…problematic...

FE9 Elincia is too much a damsel-in-distress type figure to arouse any romantic interest in Ike.

Then FE10 Elincia is way too heavily portrayed as having romantic feelings for Geoffery.

Then after-the-fact. Its canonical that Elincia does not abdicate her role as queen after FE10 and spends the rest of her life in court, so whosoever she takes as a husband must live in her castle and spend the rest of their life as a court figure.  

…I just can’t see Ike ever being comfortable in or happy with that role…for anyone…

I could perhaps see Ike as an illicit paramour. Who Elincia occasionally takes on-the-side after entering into some loveless political marriage with a local noble, with the unspoken understanding that the marriage is a sham and Elincia is the Queen, and the Queen gets to bed whoever she wants because she’s the Queen.  

…Supposing that such a union produced a child…

Well now that would be quite the scandal, wouldn’t it.

Elincia wouldn’t be able to keep the child in court; a blue-haired bastard with no resemblance to the King and an overwhelming resemblance to a certain renowned hero who’s known to pay the Queen—visits—would be just a bit too on-the-nose for the court nobles.

The most logical course of action would be for Elincia to give the child to Ike, to be raised by the Greil Mercenaries and grow strong under his/her father’s care.

And that would be a parent-child relationship worthy of a convoluted, “I’m so sorry I couldn’t tell you sooner” FE plot.

-How long does Ike wait to tell the kid his/her mother is major royalty?

-How does he break the news?

-What set of circumstances would need to arise before Ike tells his child “…oh…by the way son…keep this on the downlow. You’re a prince. And the rightful heir to the throne of Crimea.”

Which is almost more interesting then the idea of Ike and Elincia actually getting married.

Did I ask for an essay on the subject? No. Keep shipping arguments out of here please. I won't ask people again. All I did was agree with that other person's point. Also, for the record, in medieval times, men who married queens normally did not become kings. They instead took the title of Prince Consort. So no matter who Elincia married, the guy would more likely take that role. Especially since Sothe's ending actually does not say he becomes king if he marries Micaiah since she becomes a queen.

I personally don't see Ike adopting (unless if maybe his wife seriously insisted on it). He doesn't form connections with kids that aren't his own as shown by his interactions with characters like Sothe and Tormod. He did say his group would look after Sothe in PoR, but only to keep him out of anymore trouble.

Edited by Anacybele

21 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Nonsense. Everyone knows Lucia is Elincia's paramour.

23 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Did I ask for an essay on the subject? No. Keep shipping arguments out of here please. I won't ask people again. All I did was agree with that other person's point. Also, for the record, in medieval times, men who married queens normally did not become kings. They instead took the title of Prince Consort. So no matter who Elincia married, the guy would more likely take that role. Especially since Sothe's ending actually does not say he becomes king if he marries Micaiah since she becomes a queen.

I personally don't see Ike adopting (unless if maybe his wife seriously insisted on it). He doesn't form connections with kids that aren't his own as shown by his interactions with characters like Sothe and Tormod. He did say his group would look after Sothe in PoR, but only to keep him out of anymore trouble.

...lol same guy...

To the point of the last post. When asking What kind of a father would Ike be?, something you do have to consider is Who's the mother? 

Because as much as some of the sloppier writing in Awakening and Fates would have as believe that this is immaterial—i.e. Odin has the same relationship he has with Ophelia if he marries Elise that he would have if he marries Felicia—realistically, it matters. In a game that takes its writing seriously-as the Tellius installments do—it should matter ALOT.

Yes…we can make some general statements about what Ike would be like as a father based on his character regardless of who he winds up with…but beyond that…

The relationship he has with his child if the mother is Lethe. And the child is branded and base-born. And the mother has a personality-type of a kind where she is going to be watching her cub like a wrathful lioness + clawing your eyes out if you mess with her baby.

That’s going to be very different then the type of relationship Ike has with his child if the mother is Elincia. And the child is a royal. And the mother has courtly duties to attend to before she can be a mother + there are political considerations as to what to do with said child.

So you do have to go just a little bit down the shipping hole to try and imagine what exactly some of these relationships would look like.

Edited by Shoblongoo

I can't see Ike marrying and having kids, this is the guy who just upped and left his friends and sister at the end of RD...

However, I can't see him being a bad father if he did. Distant and 'tough-loving', but willing to show affection if the kid is upset or whatever. In terms of husbandry...idk, he's too distant, too cold, definitely not husband material.

Ranulf's hubby though? Hell yes!

11 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

...lol same guy...

To the point of the last post. When asking What kind of a father would Ike be?, something you do have to consider is Who's the mother? 

Because as much as some of the sloppier writing in Awakening and Fates would have as believe that this is immaterial—i.e. Odin has the same relationship he has with Ophelia if he marries Elise that he would have if he marries Felicia—realistically, it matters. In a game that takes its writing seriously-as the Tellius installments do—it should matter ALOT.

Yes…we can make some general statements about what Ike would be like as a father based on his character regardless of who he winds up with…but beyond that…

The relationship he has with his child if the mother is Lethe. And the child is branded and base-born. And the mother has a personality-type of a kind where she is going to be watching her cub like a wrathful lioness + clawing your eyes out if you mess with her baby.

That’s going to be very different then the type of relationship Ike has with his child if the mother is Elincia. And the child is a royal. And the mother has courtly duties to attend to before she can be a mother + there are political considerations as to what to do with said child.

So you do have to go just a little bit down the shipping hole to try and imagine what exactly some of these relationships would look like.

I disagree. Who the mother is does not matter THAT much. What matters is how the child is raised and treated by Ike. And this is still not a shipping thread. Also, you're being kind of hypocritical. Lethe is problematic as a choice for Ike too, probably even more than Elincia is if you ask me. If Lethe has a child with a beorc, she loses her laguz powers completely. And forever. Because any time a laguz breeds with a beorc, this happens. And it'll happen for her right away because she's the female. As soon as a female laguz becomes pregnant with a beorc's child, her powers vanish (a male laguz parent wouldn't lose his powers until the child is born). I don't see Lethe ever being willing to give up her powers. She's too proud a warrior. They could adopt, but as I said above, I don't really see Ike going for that idea without some serious convincing.

Elincia at least could've given her throne to Renning with an assurance that Crimea is in good hands and her people are well taken care of too (since she cares a lot about them and would never TRULY abandon them). In an alternate timeline, of course. Made possible by the Outrealm Gate.

So as I said, who the mother is does not matter as much as you say. It can be fucking Meg for all I care, I'm just wondering about Ike and no one else here. xP

Edited by Anacybele

11 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

...lol same guy...

*Munches popcorn*

I'd read this.

Side note: The moment you make a thread, you don't control the discussion. I'm just enjoying the interesting points people point out here for hypothetical scenarios and I see arguable policing on the OP's part.

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I disagree. Who the mother is does not matter THAT much. What matters is how the child is raised and treated by Ike. And this is still not a shipping thread. Also, you're being kind of hypocritical. Lethe is problematic as a choice for Ike too, probably even more than Elincia is if you ask me. If Lethe has a child with a beorc, she loses her laguz powers completely. And forever. Because any time a laguz breeds with a beorc, this happens. And it'll happen for her right away because she's the female. As soon as a female laguz becomes pregnant with a beorc's child, her powers vanish (a male laguz parent wouldn't lose his powers until the child is born). I don't see Lethe ever being willing to give up her powers. She's too proud a warrior. They could adopt, but as I said above, I don't really see Ike going for that idea without some serious convincing.

Elincia at least could've given her throne to Renning with an assurance that Crimea is in good hands and her people are well taken care of too (since she cares a lot about them and would never TRULY abandon them). In an alternate timeline, of course. Made possible by the Outrealm Gate.

So as I said, who the mother is does not matter as much as you say. It can be fucking Meg for all I care, I'm just wondering about Ike and no one else here. xP

Or she could've let Geoffery or Lucia have the throne (if memory serves right)

12 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

*Munches popcorn*

How do you bring popcorn and you don't share?

You disgust me beyond words!

16 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

It can be fucking Meg for all I care, I'm just wondering about Ike and no one else here. xP

Can it be Oboro too? :PPPPPPPP

Personally, I think Ike would be one of those dads that is tough, and maybe a little bit cold. He'd still be loving though, as he does indeed fight for his friends!

I can definitely see him using exercise as a form of discipline though lol Didn't do your dishes? Drop and give me 20!

7 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Personally, I think Ike would be one of those dads that is tough, and maybe a little bit cold. He'd still be loving though, as he does indeed fight for his friends!

I can definitely see him using exercise as a form of discipline though lol Didn't do your dishes? Drop and give me 20!

…oh Ike would absolutely be the kind of parent to use corporal punishment…

Remember when little boy Sothe stows away on Nasir’s ship in FE9?

Ike isn’t playing fuck-around when Sothe refuses to ask questions; he squeezes his face until he starts talking. (Mist IIRC has to tell him to stop, because it’s just a little boy and he’s being too rough)

Ike would not hesitate to hit a rebellious child.

33 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

Side note: The moment you make a thread, you don't control the discussion. I'm just enjoying the interesting points people point out here for hypothetical scenarios and I see arguable policing on the OP's part.

A little policing, maybe. But what I was mainly upset about was the trolling, not so much the "I don't think Ike would get married" parts. And the discussion should still be on topic and answering the thread's question. I said in the OP that this isn't asking if you think Ike would get married, and pretty much all some people said was "I don't think Ike would get married." See the problem here?

5 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Ike isn’t playing fuck-around when Sothe refuses to ask questions; he squeezes his face until he starts talking. (Mist IIRC has to tell him to stop, because it’s just a little boy and he’s being too rough)

I HIGHLY disagree. What makes you say Ike would be abusive like that? Sothe was a stowaway and a thief, it was reasonable for Ike to be a little rough on him. His own child wouldn't be in that situation. I can definitely see Ike grounding his kid for a number of days, but NOT hitting him or her in the way you're implying (except for maybe a little spankin' on the behind when said kid is smaller).

@Hero_Lucina Yes, but since Renning is an actual member of the royal family, he would have dibs before the retainers do.

Edited by Anacybele

1 hour ago, Arcanite said:

How do you bring popcorn and you don't share?

You disgust me beyond words!

Can it be Oboro too? :PPPPPPPP

57 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Just a quick correction, it was Nasir. Not Mist.

But to add on to your point...

In Japanese speech, Ike is rough. Like ridiculously rough.

ナーシル
あ、アイク・・・
あんまり無茶は・・・▼

アイク
俺たちは、ガキの遊びに
付き合ってられるほど暇じゃない。▼
放してほしかったら、
素直に口を割るんだな。▼

He is more straightforward laguz behavior more than beorc. So I'd say he's chastise his kid the same way the stereotype is for Asian fathers.

Not to the extreme abuse degree, mind you.

Just that it wouldn't be out of character for him to give it to the kid straight up if they screwed up bad.

Edited by shadowofchaos

56 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

What makes you say Ike would be abusive like that?

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I wasn't saying he would be abusive. I was just saying he'd be the one to use that kind of discipline is all XD

1 minute ago, Arcanite said:

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I wasn't saying he would be abusive. I was just saying he'd be the one to use that kind of discipline is all XD

I know, but it's one thing to make someone get down and do pushups. HITTING your child is entirely another.