What kind of husband and father would Ike be?

Anacybele

34 minutes ago, DarkLordIvy said:

I think that Ike as a father would depend quiet a bit on who his partner was.

With someone like Elincia, or Ranulf I think Ike would defiantly be the stern kind of detached, but ultimately loving parent that a lot of other people here have talked about.

But with other people, mostly Soren, or Lethe he would probably come closer to being the "fun", more open parent. As a way to compensate for Lethe's strict personality, that would almost certainly bleed into her parenting, or Soren's entire grumpy closed-off personality. 

Pfff and ether way marriage or no I think that Ike would be a fantastic dog or cat papa, and would doat like heck on his pet in that his own way. He would have the most well trained, but spoiled pet ever. 

Whoa...conversation got interesting. XD Now I'm intrigued again!

All of this makes a lot of sense. Ike's attitude towards love/raising children is going to be different depending on who he marries. Let's say he ends up marrying a woman who is more fragile. He might put an emphasis on trying to be gentle towards both her and his children, especially if she has a preference for raising children with a kind hand. Likewise, their relationship might be a bit turbulent because as much as Ike cares about his family, you can't just stop being one way (like blunt and stubborn). But if Ike marries someone that shares his blunt nature, they might put a focus on raising kids to be powerful protectors. 

Parenting isn't a one person job in the situation you're presenting. Ike would be a different father/husband with Elinicia than he would with someone like Mia because both women come from different stations, and they both share different values. If they catch junior smoking cigarettes in the wrong crowd, one might feel obligated to lecture him about the dangerous of lung cancer while the other might force him to smoke an entire pack until he regrets trying to be "cool." Ike would have a say in how discipline/child rearing works but there are way too many possibilities. 

What if Ike has a rebellious kid? What if he has a kid that wants to break traditional gender boundaries? What if he has a kid that gets arrested? What if his kid is a prodigy? What if his kid experiences some sort of trauma? What if his kid has a mental illness? 

I think we're all assuming that Ike's kid would be a "normal" kid, but there are a lot of possibilities to factor in. If Ike's kid pushes him, he might be a more militaristic parent. If Ike's kid can do no wrong, he'll probably be more relaxed, maybe distant. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

All of this makes a lot of sense. Ike's attitude towards love/raising children is going to be different depending on who he marries. Let's say he ends up marrying a woman who is more fragile. He might put an emphasis on trying to be gentle towards both her and his children, especially if she has a preference for raising children with a kind hand. Likewise, their relationship might be a bit turbulent because as much as Ike cares about his family, you can't just stop being one way (like blunt and stubborn). But if Ike marries someone that shares his blunt nature, they might put a focus on raising kids to be powerful protectors. 

Parenting isn't a one person job in the situation you're presenting. Ike would be a different father/husband with Elinicia than he would with someone like Mia because both women come from different stations, and they both share different values. If they catch junior smoking cigarettes in the wrong crowd, one might feel obligated to lecture him about the dangerous of lung cancer while the other might force him to smoke an entire pack until he regrets trying to be "cool." Ike would have a say in how discipline/child rearing works but there are way too many possibilities. 

What if Ike has a rebellious kid? What if he has a kid that wants to break traditional gender boundaries? What if he has a kid that gets arrested? What if his kid is a prodigy? What if his kid experiences some sort of trauma? What if his kid has a mental illness? 

I think we're all assuming that Ike's kid would be a "normal" kid, but there are a lot of possibilities to factor in. If Ike's kid pushes him, he might be a more militaristic parent. If Ike's kid can do no wrong, he'll probably be more relaxed, maybe distant. 

Yeah, you're right, but... I guess I was just wondering what people thought Ike would do regardless of all those things. But maybe there isn't much there...

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, you're right, but... I guess I was just wondering what people thought Ike would do regardless of all those things. But maybe there isn't much there...

You can still say things like, "Ike will care about his family." That's almost a given. I don't see him starting a family and resenting it unless there were some shady circumstances surrounding his union. 

But there are different ways of caring. Like many people were saying, he could care without being affectionate. He might not be the father to bend down and kiss all of the scraped knees. But he might also be the father that silently supports his children whether they turn out straight, gay, artists, athletes, mercenaries, or stay-at-home parents. 

There are too many things to factor in for you to get the straight answers you're looking for. And your own answers are probably colored with a little bit of bias since I know you already have your own Ike headcanon family. That's not a problem. It's why we start these topics. But everyone's going to be be colored by some sort of Ike bias when they bring their opinions to the table. 

2 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

Oh yes I like all of this!

It always bothers me when parenting is presented as just the mom's usually one parent''s job.

I feel like Ike would be the parent where if his kid did come out as gay, or trans, or what have you, he'd have the "Neat. Have you cleaned your room yet? It's been a week since I asked." reaction. Because Ike pretty clearly doesn't care all that much about what the norm is, I would say he is very much a free spirit. A rebellious or trouble kid might be something that Ike has a harder time learning to dealing with, and would probably cause a bit of a rift between them. But I also think that he would never be the type to give up on someone he loved and would continue to care about his kid regardless. I take this kind of from his relationship with Soren, but I think that Ike would probably be a pretty good with a kid that had a trauma or even mental illness because he is shown to be really good at accepting people for who they are and not judging them for it. 

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I think there's quiet a bit to speculate on the only problem is people not being able to get past their own ship(or lack there of) biases making it hard to really get speculation going.

48 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Nope, I PM'd VincentASM. He was the only one online at the time that I knew had powers on this board since he's an admin.

And it was still hours ago, not right now. I realize Vincent isn't online now, so I'm not saying he should be doing anything right this second. But I see, I'll do that if I don't get a response soon.

Not only is Vincent probably asleep at this point, but he's an admin and is very likely busy doing stuff around the site. If you really want your thread locked, report your thread in the OP and request it be locked from now on than asking the admins and mods personally, when it's possible that they may not have even seen your PMs or can't drop everything to just close one insignificant thread.

21 minutes ago, DarkLordIvy said:

Oh yes I like all of this!

It always bothers me when parenting is presented as just the mom's usually one parent''s job.

I feel like Ike would be the parent where if his kid did come out as gay, or trans, or what have you, he'd have the "Neat. Have you cleaned your room yet? It's been a week since I asked." reaction. Because Ike pretty clearly doesn't care all that much about what the norm is, I would say he is very much a free spirit. A rebellious or trouble kid might be something that Ike has a harder time learning to dealing with, and would probably cause a bit of a rift between them. But I also think that he would never be the type to give up on someone he loved and would continue to care about his kid regardless. I take this kind of from his relationship with Soren, but I think that Ike would probably be a pretty good with a kid that had a trauma or even mental illness because he is shown to be really good at accepting people for who they are and not judging them for it. 

Same. Ike might not end up being the greatest father, but at the very least he'd be accepting because that's part of who he is as a character, and I don't see that changing with married life. I could see him being the kind of guy that ends up with a relatively fragile kid and has to try his gosh darn hardest not to break him/her. So he just comes off as a very awkward dad. I'd love to see that side of him. The mighty warrior taken down a few pegs by a kid with the constitution of a one-winged butterfly.

59 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

You can still say things like, "Ike will care about his family." That's almost a given. I don't see him starting a family and resenting it unless there were some shady circumstances surrounding his union. 

But there are different ways of caring. Like many people were saying, he could care without being affectionate. He might not be the father to bend down and kiss all of the scraped knees. But he might also be the father that silently supports his children whether they turn out straight, gay, artists, athletes, mercenaries, or stay-at-home parents. 

There are too many things to factor in for you to get the straight answers you're looking for. And your own answers are probably colored with a little bit of bias since I know you already have your own Ike headcanon family. That's not a problem. It's why we start these topics. But everyone's going to be be colored by some sort of Ike bias when they bring their opinions to the table. 

Hm...yeah, you're probably right.

43 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Not only is Vincent probably asleep at this point, but he's an admin and is very likely busy doing stuff around the site. If you really want your thread locked, report your thread in the OP and request it be locked from now on than asking the admins and mods personally, when it's possible that they may not have even seen your PMs or can't drop everything to just close one insignificant thread.

Right, I'll do that in the future. Seems as though the thread has gotten much better now though, so I'm considering letting it stay open.

24 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

Same. Ike might not end up being the greatest father, but at the very least he'd be accepting because that's part of who he is as a character, and I don't see that changing with married life. I could see him being the kind of guy that ends up with a relatively fragile kid and has to try his gosh darn hardest not to break him/her. So he just comes off as a very awkward dad. I'd love to see that side of him. The mighty warrior taken down a few pegs by a kid with the constitution of a one-winged butterfly.

OMG, this could be interesting and cute. lol

I ship Ike and Mia personally and I won't get into the 'why' here, but I see Ike as more likely being edged out by Mia's general energy and enthusiasm. Like, even if Ike and Mia tried together to teach their kid the sword I see Mia getting pushy and teaching them her method primarily while Ike gets pushed aside by her. Not that I think he wouldn't teach and that Mia would do it intentionally. In fact I feel certain she'd insist that they train with each parent a lot. Just that Mia would be the hyper mom while Ike would be the dad who keeps distant but is more than willing to annoy his co-workers to death carry pictures of his kids and maybe tell a few dad jokes. 

Lethe would probably drill the kids like **** and they'd become very obedient and disciplined and Ike would likely try to bring out their more relaxed side. Elincia would probably want the kids with Ike more to keep them out of court politics. Titania... I can see being uncertain of how to be a mom and focusing more on running the GM's or Greil. And because I want to have fun and be inclusive... Soren would probably be afraid of the kids and keep his distance while I can see Ranulf shifting just so they can rub his belly and play with the giant kitty.

I'd imagine that he'd constantly be on the move and having his kids traveling with him. I think he'd be surprisingly lax and let his kids do whatever as long as they don't die or cause too much mischief.

He seems like he'd be good at supporting them, but not very active with them. The kids would probably be really Independent.

I don't see Ike getting married or having kids (this is not in his character which is why it's never a canon possibility), but if he did he would be like he is with Soren -- blunt, seemingly cold, but caring and very loyal -- and Mist -- protective and encouraging.

On July 2, 2017 at 7:55 PM, Book Bro said:

I don't see Ike getting married or having kids (this is not in his character which is why it's never a canon possibility), but if he did he would be like he is with Soren -- blunt, seemingly cold, but caring and very loyal -- and Mist -- protective and encouraging.

Hate to burst your bubble but, yup, Ike had kid(s). Priam in Awakening is his descendent.

Marth is considered to be Anri's descendent, too. Priam doesn't really prove anything one way or the other.

On 7/2/2017 at 7:55 PM, Book Bro said:

I disagree. It's quite possible that he raised a family since as Snowy pointed out, Priam is his descendant. Not definite, sure, since Mist could've been the line he came from, but it's still possible. I don't think it's entirely out of character either because of how much he values family in general.

On July 4, 2017 at 11:26 AM, ping said:

Marth is considered to be Anri's descendent, too. Priam doesn't really prove anything one way or the other.

He's been confirmed to be Ike's descendent. Ike had kids, one way or another, and one of them ended up in Awakening.

44 minutes ago, Snowy_One said:

He's been confirmed to be Ike's descendent. Ike had kids, one way or another, and one of them ended up in Awakening.

On 7/4/2017 at 11:51 AM, Anacybele said:

Mist could've been the line he came from

Dude. I mean, I doubt this is the case, but it's not deconfirmed, so it's possible. I want to believe Ike had kids too though.

58 minutes ago, Snowy_One said:

My point is that Marth is Anri's grandnephew and still called his descendant, so even if we assume that Priam isn't just bullshitting (I'm not very familiar with Awakening, so I don't know if there's any better proof than him using the same sword as Ike), he might as well be from Mist's line of the family. So while Book Bro's bubble isn't the only possible one, it's still as valid a headcanon as Ike x [Elincia/Mia/Soren/Ranulf/Village Girl/Aimee/Boyd/...].

For sure, although Priam's existence on a meta level -- along with his given skills and weapon -- does credit the idea that IS (at least as of Awakening) sees Ike as someone with a lasting legacy. Likely through blood because it's the simplest explanation, but not necessarily.

Anyway, Dad Ike is just Greil with a smaller nose.

On 7/7/2017 at 2:16 PM, Jave said:

There's also the possibility that the Spotpass paralogues in FE13 are non-canon, which is what I personally believe. 

I choose to believe it's a set up for a Tellius Sequel (a man can dream). 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2017-06-22 at 8:29 PM, saisymbolic said:

Personally, I can't see Ike with anyone, which is why I don't ship him. I mean, I honestly think he's asexual. If I had to, I don't think he'd be an affectionate lover or father—at least not in a traditional manner.

As a lover, I feel there likely wouldn't be any public shows of affection from him—probably not even around the Greil Mercenaries (or whatever people he's bonded with after Radiant Dawn). He looks like the kind of guy to substitute a kiss or a hug with a gentle head pat like his loved ones are pets or something lol. He doesn't seem like a touchy-feely, "hold-you-close" type of dude—unless his significant other is, like, dying or something. As a matter of fact, the only instance I can imagine him giving a declaration of love (which would amount to a quiet, gruff "love you, see you later") or a quick kiss (on the forehead, no lips allowed) is if he's going off on a particularly dangerous mission or if he believes something is fatally wrong with his significant other or if he's feeling snarky/humorous enough for whatever reason. He'd probably hook up with a person that can cook well. He comes off as a guy that keeps his feelings to himself, while simultaneously managing to be blunt about things.

As a dad, I feel like he'd be that dad that sort of pushes his kids to their limits—or rather, he wouldn't let them take the easy route when it comes to achieving things. He's not the type to cut corners, and he would raise his children to be the same. Again, he isn't affectionate to his kids. Seldom does he give hugs; the kids get head pats as well. Every now and again, he'd tell the kid "you did good, son/daughter" but, most of the time, the kid would have to make due with his silent looks and nods of satisfaction.

I mean, I thought too hard about this, to be honest. He just . . . doesn't seem that love-dovey. Like, he cares, but he's not . . . affectionate. I don't how else to put it.

I agree with this. Well considered! He's definitely gonna connect with someone that can cook. And probably fix his clothes. Domestic support would be his primary need in a marriage.

Except, I think that he does, on some level, realize the importance of hugs and letting loose emotionally, as evidenced by when he pushes Soren to cry and then comforts him. And he does listen to advice about how to handle people, so if he decided that his family was important to him, I could see him making an attempt to embrace them from time to time, because eventually he'd be clued in enough to know that doing so would be normal. They'd be suuuuper awkward hugs, but I think he'd try. And the kids or wife would kinda go, uh, thanks hon, and everyone would pretend that it hadn't happened.

Honestly as boring as it sounds I would see him being essentially a Greil 2.0 but with blue hair.  Training his kid/kids so on and so forth.  What would be more interesting would be the kids themselves how they would react of course this depends highly on who the mother would be but I could see some kind of dynamic being played where the kids feel like they have to live up to the hero their dad is or maybe not fully understanding Ike's commitment to the mercenaries or whoever he is in charge of.