fire emblem reboot?

BellaDonna

I know this idea might sound crazy due to the fact that this series almost died but it was saved and now its getting a lot of attention, but should fire emblem get a reboot? it's way too early to think about this i know, but I feel like awakening's time traveling plot messed with the history of the games and fates universe being combined with awakening's was dumb. 

And if a reboot was is in order, i think would be a good idea because old fans of these games and the new ones could final be on the same page other each other. 

but this was just a thought i had to share, but i would love to hear other's thoughts on this too.

don't they technically do a reboot every two games since they all take place in different worlds

granted awakening did that weird thing where it tried to tie them all together but I don't think theres any need for a reboot since the games aren't really connected

Just now, TheEnd said:

But Awakening (and the FE1/3 remakes) were the reboot...

how exactly is awakening a reboot

On 6/22/2017 at 10:11 PM, TheEnd said:

actually fe awakening was to being the last game but it had some elements from early games.

23 hours ago, unique said:

don't they technically do a reboot every two games since they all take place in different worlds

granted awakening did that weird thing where it tried to tie them all together but I don't think theres any need for a reboot since the games aren't really connected

how exactly is awakening a reboot

thanks for telling me that. i didn't know that they did that.

MODEDIT: yo don't doublepost

44 minutes ago, TheEnd said:

It was more of a sequel, since it didn't reset the canon or anything.

48 minutes ago, BellaDonna said:

I know this idea might sound crazy due to the fact that this series almost died but it was saved and now its getting a lot of attention, but should fire emblem get a reboot? it's way too early to think about this i know, but I feel like awakening's time traveling plot messed with the history of the games and fates universe being combined with awakening's was dumb. 

And if a reboot was is in order, i think would be a good idea because old fans of these games and the new ones could final be on the same page other each other. 

but this was just a thought i had to share, but i would love to hear other's thoughts on this too.

This could probably go into General FE.  Some people take FE seriously, but hopefully not that seriously.

Each world more or less has its own continuity, so a reboot wouldn't really do much.

You can edit your posts, to save you from double posting.

Unless the Switch FE takes place in a previous world, it will probably be a brand new world with new continuity.

Although the intention for awakening was to make a last game while pulling out all the stops, it's arguably the closest thing we'll see to a reboot for the series and if does get an actual reboot then we will most likely be stuck with more stories of Akaneia. I for one am sick of games being tied to Akaneia.

On 6/22/2017 at 11:00 PM, Rezzy said:

It was more of a sequel, since it didn't reset the canon or anything.

This could probably go into General FE.  Some people take FE seriously, but hopefully not that seriously.

Each world more or less has its own continuity, so a reboot wouldn't really do much.

You can edit your posts, to save you from double posting.

Unless the Switch FE takes place in a previous world, it will probably be a brand new world with new continuity.

thanks for the tips. I am really new to this type of thing.

On 6/22/2017 at 11:15 PM, Dr. Tarrasque said:

Although the intention for awakening was to make a last game while pulling out all the stops, it's arguably the closest thing we'll see to a reboot for the series and if does get an actual reboot then we will most likely be stuck with more stories of Akaneia. I for one am sick of games being tied to Akaneia.

yeah, you're probably right and i hope they don't just glue them self to archanea stories only. i would like to see a fe game based on egyptian mythology 

MODEDIT: whoops i missed this one

I feel like even if the lore is connected, the games kind of do not push the fact TOO much. There are usually hundreds of years between games and as said, the games are mostly coming out in pairs and then it is another story again.

I myself would like to either revisit worlds that do not have many games OR completely new lore not tied to any existing one.

No I actually think Fire Emblem is in desperate need of more continuity before hitting its "New 52". The small snippets we got in Awakening were fascinating interpretations of the first three games several thousand years later. Instead of relying on the lore of Marth or Alm, it brought up new events still un-depicted like the First Exalt. To be honest, FE6 is the biggest reboot, not just because Elibe was an entirely new place, but Roy's journey and the people he relies on are extremely similar to Marth's journey. But lore snippets were strangely contradicted. Like how the dragons of Arcadia include a "Divine Dragon" tribe to which Fa is a part of. But Elibe has its own set of gods, so nobody can really say whether Fa is somehow a distant relative of Tiki or descended from Naga, it's just never explored.

Not to mention the plot point about dragons (or similar godlike creatures that live thousands of years) eventually grow mad and must sleep for centuries to preserve their mental state. This concept was entirely dropped until Awakening alluded to it, and then Fates reintroduced it with its main villain. Then Tellius has this idea where there's races of people transforming into all kinds of creatures and that "manaketes" are just one tribe of them. Is this the case outside Tellius? We had no idea until Awakening's Taguel tribe. Finally, there's a big deal made about Micaiah being able to heal without a healing stave, but clerics were doing that already in ancient Valentia. The in-universe mechanics of magic is the biggest head scratcher when you look at all the games contradicting each other in little ways.

I don't think the next non-remake Fire Emblem games need to take place on a previous continent, but I'm sure fans would be receptive to it. Anybody that follows comic books knows a fandom can live just by its continuity, so more of that can be an exceptional boon for this series moving forward. And I feel like FE 8 and Fates suffered a great deal by taking place on unique continents. Most of Magvels historic champions are never named, it's unclear whether Myrrh is descended from the dragon that helped the champions or if she was that dragon, and having one of the sacred stones being called the Fire Emblem just felt arbitrary since it proves to be no different than any of the other McGuffins. Fates gets it even worst despite three full-length games. The continent of Nohr and Hoshido doesn't have a name. And so much of the writing implies this land has virtually no history before Garon was taken over and Corrin was abducted.