Sol, Luna, and Astra Farming Tips/Recommendations

So in Fire Emblem Echoes, do you guys have any tips for the most effective way to get Sol, Luna, and Astra?

The strategy I'm resorting to right now is going to Floors 9 and 10 of the Thabes Labyrinth and searching every room's crates and pots twice by leaving and re-entering to have the crates/pots respawn (any more than that and items don't spawn from them anymore from my experience). Is there a more effective/likely way to find them than what I'm currently doing? On a side note, I was somehow lucky enough to get Sol in Duma Tower from going through it normally, so I technically just need the other two for the Medal/Award.

That is pretty much the best way, other than grinding on the Guardian reinforcements while fighting The Creation (for Luna) or going through the Inner Sanctum.

As far as I know, the pots in B9 have the highest drop rate at 0.26%. It's still pretty low, but better than 0.06% from B10 and 0.13% from the Inner Sanctum (which only features 1 or 2 big pots).

Also, the drop rates decay by 1/3 each time, so you should be able to get items on the 3rd visit. However there is a "bug" that can prevent you from finding the intended number of items each time you battle an enemy. This shouldn't be an issue for B10 though.

Edited by VincentASM

On June 24, 2017 at 0:35 AM, VincentASM said:

That is pretty much the best way, other than grinding on the Guardian reinforcements while fighting The Creation (for Luna) or going through the Inner Sanctum.

As far as I know, the pots in B9 have the highest drop rate at 0.26%. It's still pretty low, but better than 0.06% from B10 and 0.13% from the Inner Sanctum (which only features 1 or 2 big pots).

Also, the drop rates decay by 1/3 each time, so you should be able to get items on the 3rd visit. However there is a "bug" that can prevent you from finding the intended number of items each time you battle an enemy. This shouldn't be an issue for B10 though.

I've been doing runs of the Inner Sanctum for over 30 hours at this point without finding any of them. Up until now I've bene retreating to shave off seconds but then I heard of the whole 1/3 each time thing and it's made me worried I've lowered my chances. Because 30+ hours without finding anything seems unreasonable. So do you know if the drop rate is reduced in the Inner Sanctum even though there's just one room? Do I need to manually leave? My gut tells me no but my paranoia tells me yes. Also is it certain they can only be found in big pots? Because ignoring small pots would save a lot of time.

Edited by Jotari

For each of the three areas in Thabes B9:
-Beat up all the enemies first then smash pots. Droppable items are reshuffled every time you fight a battle, even in already-broken pots/barrels/boxes, so smashing before fighting might screw you over.
-Do each room three times, for GUARANTEED drops: the first time you're guaranteed to get three drops from the pots, two the second time, one the third time, and then after that...fifteen percent of three, which means you probably won't get anything.

Thabes B10 there are boxes in only the first room, and it's the same deal as B9 (just with boxes instead of pots, and no enemies).

Thabes final battle...
-Cover all sigils that don't spawn what you need. You're looking for Garudas (Astra) and Guardians (Luna). Each sigil has specific spawns that are pretty easy to figure out, and learning first-hand is better than reading whatever crappy description I come up with. Vestals and Garudas spawn from the same sigil.
-HOWEVER, do NOT cover the two sigils that are in Grima's range. This will make him start moving and not stop; he will chase you for the rest of the fight. Stay out of his range, he just sits there patiently.
-Personal recommendation in the top left: put a dread fighter there. The cantor that spawns from that sigil in Grima's range has Medusa, but dread fighters halve the damage taken from it.
-Don't waste time fighting anything but Vestals and cantors. Let the enemies come to you, it goes faster. Just take out those Vestals since they waste your time by attacking at range, and the cantors summon status-inflicting revenants.
-Keep Tatiana (Physic/Fortify) handy and out of range of sigil-summons.
-At some point a few hundred turns in (I think the exact number is random), you'll get a notice, "The turnwheel makes a strange noise". Do not be alarmed, this is normal. Roughly 30-ish-something turns later you'll get another notice, "The turnwheel has stopped functioning". Again, this is normal. Unfortunately, the turnwheel does indeed stop functioning for the rest of the fight. (It'll be back to normal the very next fight you enter~)
-Keep going at it until you get bored enough that you'd rather run through the entire Labyrinth again.

Hope that helps enough. >///<

Random data, three runs of Thabes:
First run-- Astra from B9/10; one rusted Brave in 300 turns of the final.
Second run-- nothing; nothing in 600 turns.
Third run-- rusted Mage Ring from B7; one rusted Brave and Luna in 660 turns. (Luna was on enemy phase Turn 659)
I still need Sol in this file. ;A;

On 2017-06-23 at 10:35 AM, VincentASM said:

And Garudas for Astra, since you're there anyway? Or do they not drop it in Thabes final? I wouldn't know--such a low drop rate, they haven't dropped it for me. :o

9 hours ago, Jotari said:

I've been doing runs of the Inner Sanctum for over 30 hours at this point without finding any of them. Up until now I've bene retreating to shave off seconds but then I heard of the whole 1/3 each time thing and it's made me worried I've lowered my chances. Because 30+ hours without finding anything seems unreasonable. So do you know if the drop rate is reduced in the Inner Sanctum even though there's just one room? Do I need to manually leave? My gut tells me no but my paranoia tells me yes. Also is it certain they can only be found in big pots? Because ignoring small pots would save a lot of time.

The "one-third" thing is the number of drops per room in normal dungeons. Inner Sanctum works differently, as the pots ALWAYS drop something. And if you mean evacuating, that's what I always do and I've gotten a Sol.

12 hours ago, Jotari said:

Also is it certain they can only be found in big pots? Because ignoring small pots would save a lot of time.

I cannot physically check (since hacking DLC requires tools I don't have), but theoretical data and many runs of Inner Sanctum (and Astral Temple) suggests they are in big pots only.

Smashing the other pots can be useful for other items though, like Astral Shards if you need any. Plus they can alleviate the boredom of going through the Inner Sanctum to find 0 big pots...

1 hour ago, Sock said:

And Garudas for Astra, since you're there anyway? Or do they not drop it in Thabes final? I wouldn't know--such a low drop rate, they haven't dropped it for me. :o

Sure, if you want.

I mainly mentioned Guardians since they have a pretty decent 1.25% drop rate. Still, due to the rather sporadic spawn rate, you'll need to wait several hundred turns before having a decent chance : |

Edited by VincentASM

4 hours ago, Sock said:

-Beat up all the enemies first then smash pots. Droppable items are reshuffled every time you fight a battle, even in already-broken pots/barrels/boxes, so smashing before fighting might screw you over.
-Do each room three times, for GUARANTEED drops: the first time you're guaranteed to get three drops from the pots, two the second time, one the third time, and then after that...fifteen percent of three, which means you probably won't get anything.

Thabes B10 there are boxes in only the first room, and it's the same deal as B9 (just with boxes instead of pots, and no enemies).

Thabes final battle...
-Cover all sigils that don't spawn what you need. You're looking for Garudas (Astra) and Guardians (Luna). Each sigil has specific spawns that are pretty easy to figure out, and learning first-hand is better than reading whatever crappy description I come up with. Vestals and Garudas spawn from the same sigil.
-HOWEVER, do NOT cover the two sigils that are in Grima's range. This will make him start moving and not stop; he will chase you for the rest of the fight. Stay out of his range, he just sits there patiently.
-Personal recommendation in the top left: put a dread fighter there. The cantor that spawns from that sigil in Grima's range has Medusa, but dread fighters halve the damage taken from it.
-Don't waste time fighting anything but Vestals and cantors. Let the enemies come to you, it goes faster. Just take out those Vestals since they waste your time by attacking at range, and the cantors summon status-inflicting revenants.
-At some point a few hundred turns in (I think the exact number is random), you'll get a notice, "The turnwheel makes a strange noise". Do not be alarmed, this is normal. Roughly 30-ish-something turns later you'll get another notice, "The turnwheel has stopped functioning". Again, this is normal. Unfortunately, the turnwheel does indeed stop functioning for the rest of the fight. (It'll be back to normal the very next fight you enter~)
-Keep going at it until you get bored enough that you'd rather run through the entire Labyrinth again.

Third run-- rusted Mage Ring from B7; one rusted Brave and Luna in 660 turns. (Luna was on enemy phase Turn 659)

The "one-third" thing is the number of drops per room in normal dungeons. Inner Sanctum works differently, as the pots ALWAYS drop something. And if you mean evacuating, that's what I always do and I've gotten a Sol.

Thank you very much for the guide! what I had been doing so far is breaking all the pots of b9 and b10 once, and then exiting and restarting the dungeon. I got two Lunas from it, but your way seems far more efficient.

5 hours ago, VincentASM said:

I cannot physically check (since hacking DLC requires tools I don't have), but theoretical data and many runs of Inner Sanctum (and Astral Temple) suggests they are in big pots only.

Smashing the other pots can be useful for other items though, like Astral Shards if you need any. Plus they can alleviate the boredom of going through the Inner Sanctum to find 0 big pots...

Sure, if you want.

I mainly mentioned Guardians since they have a pretty decent 1.25% drop rate. Still, due to the rather sporadic spawn rate, you'll need to wait several hundred turns before having a decent chance : |

I have more than enough astral shards, emperor lances etc. Pretty sure Sol, Luna and Astra are the only items in the game I don't have at this point. I'll try exploring Thabes for a bit now instead. 

7 hours ago, Sock said:

Thabes final battle...

Can I kill the Cantor near Grima with an archer (without initiating his move AI)? I know it'll probably respawn but it'd be quicker than fighting the summons.

Edited by Jotari

17 hours ago, Jotari said:

Can I kill the Cantor near Grima with an archer (without initiating his move AI)? I know it'll probably respawn but it'd be quicker than fighting the summons.

You can use any class you want to kill the cantor. It's just that Medusa reduces HP to 1 (which dread fighters halve) and has 5 range (so bows are gonna get counterattacked anyway). Of course, he doesn't hit very often. :v But when he does, it's at least two turns of healing up from 1 HP.

...Hm, then again, your units will probably have enough def to not need to be fully healed anyway... Hmmm.

9 hours ago, Sock said:

You can use any class you want to kill the cantor. It's just that Medusa reduces HP to 1 (which dread fighters halve) and has 5 range (so bows are gonna get counterattacked anyway). Of course, he doesn't hit very often. :v But when he does, it's at least two turns of healing up from 1 HP.

...Hm, then again, your units will probably have enough def to not need to be fully healed anyway... Hmmm.

Well with an Oliphantor or a longbow you're out of the range of medusa anyway. But I was misunderstanding your inital post. I thought that maybe Grima would move closer if you attacked the Cantor. I now know he doesn't. Have been at it for 600 turns now with nothing.

On 6/25/2017 at 2:44 PM, Sock said:

Thank you so much for that. I was wondering how exactly was the best way to farm from Thabes.

Anecdotal info here: I've done enough inner sanctum for 5 star jacinths, an emperor shield, and 4 emperor lances, and I don't have any of these three items. It really seems like farming the inner sanctum specifically for astra/luna/sol is not worth your time.

On June 26, 2017 at 2:44 AM, Sock said:

Thabes final battle...

I've been trying this method and I'm starting to think I'm doing something wrong. The only thing that I'm letting spawn are Guardians and Garudas (for the weapons) Vestals (since they spawn in the same location as Garudas), Cantors and Villagers (due to being in grima's range). Every other glyph is covered. I've been at it for an immense amount of time. Literally maxed out the turn counter at 999 and kept going without seeing so much as a rusted sword.

11 hours ago, Jotari said:

I've been trying this method and I'm starting to think I'm doing something wrong. The only thing that I'm letting spawn are Guardians and Garudas (for the weapons) Vestals (since they spawn in the same location as Garudas), Cantors and Villagers (due to being in grima's range). Every other glyph is covered. I've been at it for an immense amount of time. Literally maxed out the turn counter at 999 and kept going without seeing so much as a rusted sword.

I was lucky enough to get a rusted Luna from a Guardian on turn 277, after which I covered its sigil and waited for Garudas to spawn. At 750 turns and no rusted sword.

Now I'm running the Inner Sanctum DLC with this method that I saw from a GameFAQs board:

1) Enter Inner Sanctum and save before you start the dungeon.

2) Make sure you are able to find 2 large pots (If unable to do so, evacuate and try step 1 again)

3) Break all the large pots, if there's nothing you want, soft reset.

4) This time, when you enter the dungeon, fight one random enemy before breaking the large pots. Fighting random enemies will shuffle the pot contents.

5) Repeat until you get what you want.

Edit: Just picked up Astra from the Inner Sanctum! Must have taken me anywhere between 200-300 runs. Now I just need Sol!

Edit 2: Just picked up Sol! Accomplished this in slightly less than 50 runs! Finally done with my hunt for the 3 legendary weapons. 

Edited by GespenstMK2S

Speaking of Inner Sanctum, anyone else notice that star shards stop dropping if someone in your dungeon party has a Starsphere equipped?

If that's legit, I wonder what that does to other items' droprates--raise or completely change?

18 hours ago, Jotari said:

The droprate for Astra from Garudas is 0.05%. It's beyond ridiculous. Luna from Guardians is 1.25% and it took me 1560 turns to get it...

Too bad the kill count doesn't give numbers.

On 7/2/2017 at 5:23 PM, GespenstMK2S said:

I was lucky enough to get a rusted Luna from a Guardian on turn 277, after which I covered its sigil and waited for Garudas to spawn. At 750 turns and no rusted sword.

Now I'm running the Inner Sanctum DLC with this method that I saw from a GameFAQs board:

1) Enter Inner Sanctum and save before you start the dungeon.

2) Make sure you are able to find 2 large pots (If unable to do so, evacuate and try step 1 again)

3) Break all the large pots, if there's nothing you want, soft reset.

4) This time, when you enter the dungeon, fight one random enemy before breaking the large pots. Fighting random enemies will shuffle the pot contents.

5) Repeat until you get what you want.

Edit: Just picked up Astra from the Inner Sanctum! Must have taken me anywhere between 200-300 runs. Now I just need Sol!

Edit 2: Just picked up Sol! Accomplished this in slightly less than 50 runs! Finally done with my hunt for the 3 legendary weapons. 

I've just started trying this method and immediately, I found a Gradivus and a Mercurius in a single run. The only other items of this rarity I've found was a Pathria on one of my very first runs of the Inner Sanctum. I've just been doing Thabes Labyrinth now and before that I put in dozens of hours into the Inner Sanctum with zero worth nothing. This has me convinced that taking breaks from the inner sanctum for a while and doing something else resets or increases your odds.

12 hours ago, Sock said:

Speaking of Inner Sanctum, anyone else notice that star shards stop dropping if someone in your dungeon party has a Starsphere equipped?

If that's legit, I wonder what that does to other items' droprates--raise or completely change?

This is not true, at least in my version.

Edited by Jotari

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

I've just started trying this method and immediately, I found a Gradivus and a Mercurius in a single run. The only other items of this rarity I've found was a Pathria on one of my very first runs of the Inner Sanctum. I've just been doing Thabes Labyrinth now and before that I put in dozens of hours into the Inner Sanctum with zero worth nothing. This has me convinced that taking breaks from the inner sanctum for a while and doing something else resets or increases your odds.

Pretty sure that's just a case of bad/amazing luck, ahaha.

I honestly don't think they bothered to code decaying drop rates. This isn't some F2P game where they need to manipulate the odds to make you keep playing and paying.

Besides, if you bought Inner Sanctum, you've already paid and therefore earned the rights to non-fixed drop rates.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

This is not true, at least in my version.

Ah, I see... My luck stinks, then. xD

I had about 13 runs in a row with the Starphere in my party and didn't get a single shard. Then I removed the sphere and was getting shards up the wazoo--multiple shards the very next run. And I've done about 50 runs since and gotten at least one shard every single run.

edit: And to prove myself wrong, I JUST got a shard even with the Sphere in my dungeon party.

Edited by Sock

11 hours ago, VincentASM said:

Pretty sure that's just a case of bad/amazing luck, ahaha.

I honestly don't think they bothered to code decaying drop rates. This isn't some F2P game where they need to manipulate the odds to make you keep playing and paying.

Besides, if you bought Inner Sanctum, you've already paid and therefore earned the rights to non-fixed drop rates.

Might be a case of cosmic odds more so than tangible odds. Like the way holding B when trying to catch a Pokemon helps things even if there's no code for it (shut up! It does!).

Edited by Jotari

Doing the whole save spam and run to where you know the big jars are and I've successfully managed to grab Luna...twice. That's a fun feeling. Wish there was some kind of intergame trading feature.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, Sock said:

I don't know if the new update changed it, but I did a run in inner sanctum today with like 3 starspheres in the party and still found a libra shard, though it does seem to be lowered

One way to get Astra, Sol, and Luna that no one mentioned is streetpassing. You have around a .03% chance of getting either an, astra, sol, luna, or dracoshield every time you streetpass. This is not great, but you can do it at the same time as you grind in another way if you sit in a location full of people while grinding another way (such as by sitting in an area full of tourists, a subway train, or a convention). THis also has the advantage of giving you a chance at additional copies of otherwise limited or hard to get items (such as the blessed shield), and giving you guarenteed rare encounters (potentialy including guardian (which has a 1.5% chance of droping luna), and balor (which has a .2% chance of dropping sol, but can be abused by letting it divide like mogals do)).

Some peoloe actualy grind for sol by running around the secret shrine untill they encounter a balor, then just letting it devide endlessly while killing some of them for the drop chance. THis is the only one of the three that that method works with, because it is the only one droped by a deviding enemy.

Edited by sirmola

• 5 months later...
On 7/3/2017 at 11:43 PM, Jotari said:

Might be a case of cosmic odds more so than tangible odds. Like the way holding B when trying to catch a Pokemon helps things even if there's no code for it (shut up! It does!).

I thought it was holding A... Anyway, is it more efficient to farm Silver Marks to convert to Gold Marks to make Sol, Luna, and Astra or faster to farm this way?

4 hours ago, dannyquil said:

I thought it was holding A... Anyway, is it more efficient to farm Silver Marks to convert to Gold Marks to make Sol, Luna, and Astra or faster to farm this way?

You can't make Sol, Luna or Astra, unless you get lucky and refine a rusty weapon that happens to be one of them, which doesn't take that many marks.