Who likes the Cipher characters?

Anyone?

i dig them. They all designed nicely, and have cute personalities. Emma is young but cheerful or plucky. Randal is a salty gambling sort that reminds me a bit of Joshua from FE8. Yuzu means business but has a softer side. I like how shes funny by being unfunny. What a nerd. Shade's design is fucking amazing and shes cute on top of it. A little lazy, kinda goth, but a bit fussy. I like her a lot. As units they seem pretty ok. I want gonna get this dlc, until I realized there were four characters with supports. Worth it. 

I like them. Probably the DLC that's worth it most.

Emma is an adorable peg knight. Her voice is done very well, but I don't even know did it. I love that you can bully her in the Cipher legends map by saying no only.

Randal is alright. His design and voice is nice but I prefer the others.

Shade has that sinister feel, but her personality says otherwise. I really like her elder sister personality towards Emma and I enjoy her interactions with Yuzu.

Yuzu's design is my favorite. Her portrait is awesome. I didn't expect her voice to be so refined and mature but it's a good voice. Praise the ration ball.

Also, does anyone know their age? I found on the wiki that Emma is 13 but that's it.

So far I'm finding them fairly useful. I sent Yuzu and Shade to Alm just as I started Act 3, and Randal and Emma to Celica once I recruited the Whitewings. None have broken anything, but they've helped out of a bunch.

Emma's stats aren't the greatest (her Def is below the Falcoknight base), but as the Whitewings aren't invincible (at least not for a while- mind you I'm delaying their promotion until 20), so they could always benefit from another winged ally.

Randal is also very strong- with just enough Spd to avoid being doubled by all the non-boss foes, which made him fairly durable. And his high move still finds use even in the land of deserts. I often gave him the Angel Ring to fix his one problem.

Yuzu I underestimated- her base offense is stronger than I originally thought, even if she lacks on the magic side. I've also heard some suggest turning her into a Falcoknight via a Pitchfork- and I can see myself doing that eventually. 

Shade has only been busy with Physic so far, in addition to baiting the Arcanists out in Alm Act 3 Battle 2 alongside Slique. Even so, more heals and heals from afar mean I can take greater risks. She'll be golden for sure once she gets Rescue.

Design-wise, I think Randal's is best. Mature and rugged, but at the same time he exudes a youth via his hair color.

I'm a little disappointed by the maps being recycled for their DLC battles, but I thought the battles themselves were solidly designed (the Emma-Randal one more than Shade & Yuzu's). I will say I absolutely loved the music!

The weapons they come with are also nifty- the Trainee Lance looks like it'll be a forge priority since Solo Triangle Attack should bail out Palla and Emma when they're too slow to double things naturally. The Wayward Lance could stay on Randal, but Catria has been having fun with it so far. The Warrior's Sword isn't as good as Brave Sword, but it's close enough and still very much a keeper.

Speaking as someone who's been waiting nearly 2 years for Emma and Shade to get put in the games, I'm really happy with how this turned out, though I'm a little sad that they don't all get Supports with each other, instead opting for YuzuXShade and EmmaXRandalLando. I was kind of weirded out by how they split the four, though - I was sure Emma and Shade would go together, seeing as how that's how it's been in like every single Cipher set, and Yuzu and RandalLando would then be in the other, but hey, whatever, I'm just glad we got them so I ain't about to pitch a fit. I'll just throw out something I like and dislike about them all because.

2 hours ago, KongDude said:

Emma is an adorable peg knight. Her voice is done very well, but I don't even know did it. I love that you can bully her in the Cipher legends map by saying no only.

To answer that question, Emma is voiced by Delthea, and as soon as I found that out I knew she was going to be just right. Her "Bye-bye, bad guy!" is tied for my most favorite Crit Quote with Delthea's "Sorry, not sorry" because reasons. Also, after saying no a bunch of times to see if she's as coercive as Prof. Rowan(she is), I officially ship EmmaXStrawberryLollipop(it's strawberry, right? I don't really remember). Despite just saying I'd come up with something I disliked, I'm not sure there's anything I really can dislike about Emma - she's just too adorable, right down to calling RandalLando a poop instead of something else I'm sure at least some of us thought she could call him, I laughed until my sides hurt when she said that because it was so out-of-literally-nowhere. Oh, wait, wait, I got one, although it's more of a done-goofed for the writers than something wrong with Emma herself - she tells RandalLando that no man has ever become a Pegasus Knight, however, she's specifically been confirmed to hail from Hoshido, home to two male Sky Knights, Subaki and Shigure. Not knowing about Shigure can of course be forgiven because he might not have been born by the time the four travelers' adventure began not to mention DeepRealm crap is crap, but it seems a little off for Emma to not know about one of her own kingdom's Royals having a male Sky Knight for a retainer. Really wish she had Supports with the Whitewings, though, seeing as how she could learn a lot from them.

Shade…I was really worried about Shade. Mostly, I was afraid we'd get another Camilla, just in here for da fanservice, but they actually did a good job giving her real clothes and an actual personality…and what a personality. I was definitely expecting someone more capable of handling frustrating situations than her weird freak-out at the start of her map, but after a couple playthroughs of the level to make sure I found all the little details it's actually kind of endearing almost to the point of seeming kinda cute. I'm also glad they made her a more motherly character, especially with regards to Emma(Do you think she's getting enough to eat? Do you think she knows to boil the water here before drinking it?), and I'm glad they figured out that Camilla was a little too Mama Bear and toned it back for Shade. I am, however, a little weirded out by her conversation with Ally!RandalLando if you take her into Cipher Legends 1 - she almost sounds like she has a crush on him or something, though that could be just me. I was also impressed with her VA - again, I was worried about another Camilla, but nope! On the flip side, though, her Portrait used for the bottom screen in battle and her Crit Cut-Ins…it rubs me wrong. She looks kind of like a psychopath, but I can't place what it is that I think looks wrong. I think it's mostly the slant of her eyes plus the fact that they look narrowed without meaning to be, but yeah, can't actually put my finger on it. I also didn't like the Saint Class - knowing Shade, I was hoping she'd be the only playable Witch, or else a female Arcanist/Cantor, but no dice - maybe next time if there is one? One last note for Shade, neither for nor against her, is her lack of a special weapon - I was hoping for either a special Ring or else her special wand you see in her cards that would give the holder access to a unique Spell, and not getting one was annoying. On the other hand, she was apparently attacked right before the actual fight, so it's possible she had said item and dropped it, in which case RIP. Either way, Shade is almost as high-quality Waifu material for me as the Whitewings, and they are some fiiiine Waifu material so that's saying something for me.

Yuzu. First and foremost, #HeilRationBall. I was going nuts trying to figure out who her voice and manner of speech was reminding me of as there's nobody in Hoshido who talks like that, until I was playing Awakening and realized she sounds just like Say'ri, though I think they have different VAs. My headcanon is now of course that Yuzu founded Chon'sin on nothing but Ration Balls because those things are going to become one of the most powerful Fire Emblem Memes ever so of course you could reasonably start a country with nothing but them. Once again, #HeilRationBall. Also, she Crits like mad with her Warrior Sword, so that's great. I was, however, disappointed in her lack of a unique Class all her own - they could have made a female Dread Fighter or a unique Swordmaster battle sprite for her and had that as part of the download. I was also very disappointed that she was not given a "Ration Ball" Command that would appear once you got Marla or Hestia down to low enough HP so that Yuzu could force them a Ration Ball and cure them of their soullessness. I am, however, confident that this will be remedied in any future game that both Yuzu and possessed people are involved in. Overall, not as much to say about Yuzu as the others, but I liked more than I disliked about her. In conclusion, #HeilRationBall.

Finally, RandalLando. I'm going to assume you all can tell what my biggest issue with him is so I'll skip that. While I thought their choice of VA for him was a bit of an eyebrow-raiser(it's apparently Xander), his voice just about matches up with what I thought he'd sound like, so that was a plus, and I liked his armor design. Overall, though, RandalLando is the one I'm disappointed in the most because he doesn't Dual-Wield. I mean, guys, that's like, his one gimmick in the TCG, that he Dual-Wields, and ya done let me down. Yeah, yeah, everyone can only hold one item at a time and that crap, but still, this had better be remedied if he ever shows up in another FE game.

Edited by SoulWeaver

I enjoyed all of them more than I thought I would. The voice acting on everyone is great, everyone has a fun fairly distinct personality and all the dialog with each other was pretty amusing and gave a sense of being friends. I appreciated how there's extra dialog at the end of the maps depending on if you recruited Emma/Randal or Shade/Yuzu already I've already beaten the game and have no interest in beating up Grima, so I can't comment on their game usage, though.

Shade in particular surprised me. Like SoulWeaver, I was expecting something akin to Camilla: a significant focus on being a creeper and heavy fanservice. But no she's more like team mom who comically whines a bit and is a little vain. Also, ok, yes some light fanservice, but it's fairly standard. Although I have no idea what is going on with her full artwork. I thought she was leaning against a wall or bench or something but no just....raising a leg like that, i guess.

I hope future games keep them along as dlc companions if nothing else. Maybe future titles can even give them a support cono with characters in the game.

Out of curiosity, how much of this personality is present in Cipher, anyway? Doesn't the card game only have one line quotes on the cards? Maybe stream appearances? 

@SoulWeaverJumping in for a sec; you sure Emma's VA is Christine Marie Cabanos? I've heard her work as characters such as Mako from Kill la Kill and Filia from Skullgirls, and while I can tell Delthea definitely has Christine's voice, Emma definitely sounds different; she sounds like she's voiced by Cherami Leigh, who does Mae. Emma and Mae sound pretty similar to each other in my opinion.

On 6/23/2017 at 5:37 PM, NoirCore said:

@SoulWeaverJumping in for a sec; you sure Emma's VA is Christine Marie Cabanos? I've heard her work as characters such as Mako from Kill la Kill and Filia from Skullgirls, and while I can tell Delthea definitely has Christine's voice, Emma definitely sounds different; she sounds like she's voiced by Cherami Leigh, who does Mae. Emma and Mae sound pretty similar to each other in my opinion.

Erp, my bad, I was thinking about their JP VAs.

On 6/23/2017 at 0:16 PM, r_n said:

Out of curiosity, how much of this personality is present in Cipher, anyway? Doesn't the card game only have one line quotes on the cards? Maybe stream appearances? 

There's a special column somewhere in the huge maze that is the Japanese Fire Emblem Internet Stuff, originally just for Emma and Shade but now hosted by all four if I recall right, and there's quite a bit of personality there - for example, Emma doesn't know what a "Tea-Sea-Gee" is, and Shade locks her in a room with her until Emma learns.

43 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

There's a special column somewhere in the huge maze that is the Japanese Fire Emblem Internet Stuff, originally just for Emma and Shade but now hosted by all four if I recall right, and there's quite a bit of personality there - for example, Emma doesn't know what a "Tea-Sea-Gee" is, and Shade locks her in a room with her until Emma learns.

I don't suppose there's full translations of these anywhere are there?

5 hours ago, r_n said:

I don't suppose there's full translations of these anywhere are there?

Possibly. I remember seeing a translation to the one I mentioned, let me see if I can dig it back up from my history.

EDIT: Found the original Post on here, but it's possible someone like Kirokan could give you a better translation if you could get screenshots of the actual column.

Edited by SoulWeaver

I'm pretty meh to them as characters. But I am curious as to what their histories are. Until I found out about this DLC I wasn't even aware that Cipher had OCs. What context did they appear in before? Just trading cards? Or is there some kind of narrative they're a part of? Is this the first time we've seen them with personalities?

I love all four of them. They are very entertaining, their supports are fun to watch and hear and they have amazing designs and stats.
Emma is probably my favourite out of the four. DragonFlames is a lolicon confirmed <- this is a joke, btw, so don't call the cops
Her trying to do a Triangle Attack by herself (and succeeding if you let her level her personal weapon) is some of the funniest stuff I have seen in all of Fire Emblem. I had her use it on Duma and it brought him down to 1 HP.

12 hours ago, Jotari said:

I'm pretty meh to them as characters. But I am curious as to what their histories are. Until I found out about this DLC I wasn't even aware that Cipher had OCs. What context did they appear in before? Just trading cards? Or is there some kind of narrative they're a part of? Is this the first time we've seen them with personalities?

Emma and Shade ran(don't know if it's still going or not) a column online, and for some time were the only real source of early info for anyone wanting to know about Cipher before they got really serious about it on here. As such, they have the most established personalities of the group over in Japan, but nobody's really gotten around to translating the column entries so the best insight I know about is the link I posted in my last comment. I don't know if RandalLando ever joined them, but I know Yuzu was introduced through the column as well. It's also thanks to the column that we knew Emma's age before the DLC was officially announced, though I think Shade's is still a mystery. All we really know without someone going through and translating to see if more got revealed is that Emma and Yuzu are Hoshidan and Shade is Nohrian. Assuming their first cards represented their homelands, RandalLando hails from Elibe for some weird reason. I was half hoping they'd give us a redhead knight to go with him so we'd have a classic red/green Cavalier duo, but no dice. Anyways, yeah, basically, unless you can get Kirokan or some other translation-y person to look into the column, we don't have a lot of info for them. You're also probably not the only one to not know about Cipher having OCs before this, all four of them are meh at best and aren't really winning anything noteworthy - Emma's the only one I've even seen used by anyone other than me, and it's just as a supporting card, nothing major, though Yuzu can make a decent Main Character for a Whitewings deck.

I'm happy with them finally in a game, also that they didn't get cut in translation how it happened with the scrambles in Fates (I will never forgive IntSys for this). They artworks looks great (But I didn't expected Ema to look that young!!), but I would have liked if the four can support between them, pretty sure Ema and Shade have a lot to talk.

Still hasn't recruited them since I have been a bit bussy, so let's see how they work in the game. I want to send Shade and Yuzu to Alm and the other two to Celica. And I hope this helps to make more people to know them, so they can get added to Heroes or future Fire Emblem games! cofWarriorscof

5 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Emma and Shade ran(don't know if it's still going or not) a column online, and for some time were the only real source of early info for anyone wanting to know about Cipher before they got really serious about it on here. As such, they have the most established personalities of the group over in Japan, but nobody's really gotten around to translating the column entries so the best insight I know about is the link I posted in my last comment. I don't know if RandalLando ever joined them, but I know Yuzu was introduced through the column as well. It's also thanks to the column that we knew Emma's age before the DLC was officially announced, though I think Shade's is still a mystery. All we really know without someone going through and translating to see if more got revealed is that Emma and Yuzu are Hoshidan and Shade is Nohrian. Assuming their first cards represented their homelands, RandalLando hails from Elibe for some weird reason. I was half hoping they'd give us a redhead knight to go with him so we'd have a classic red/green Cavalier duo, but no dice. Anyways, yeah, basically, unless you can get Kirokan or some other translation-y person to look into the column, we don't have a lot of info for them. You're also probably not the only one to not know about Cipher having OCs before this, all four of them are meh at best and aren't really winning anything noteworthy - Emma's the only one I've even seen used by anyone other than me, and it's just as a supporting card, nothing major, though Yuzu can make a decent Main Character for a Whitewings deck.

Huh. Their homelands are really interesting in the context of Archanea. Hoshido and Nohr are lost kingdoms according to Chrom but its possible they're just there during Marth and Alm's time. Maybe the events of Fates even happen in close proximity timewise. Then again it seems very likely Elibe is a different world so they probably are just outrealm travelers.

3 hours ago, SniperGYS said:

I'm happy with them finally in a game, also that they didn't get cut in translation how it happened with the scrambles in Fates (I will never forgive IntSys for this). They artworks looks great (But I didn't expected Ema to look that young!!), but I would have liked if the four can support between them, pretty sure Ema and Shade have a lot to talk.

Still hasn't recruited them since I have been a bit busy, so let's see how they work in the game. I want to send Shade and Yuzu to Alm and the other two to Celica. And I hope this helps to make more people to know them, so they can get added to Heroes or future Fire Emblem games! cofWarriorscof

Emma is canonically 13 or 14, I don't remember the exact number, so it makes sense that she looks so little compared to the others.

I'm running a challenge playthrough in Echoes right now where the only characters allowed are Alm, Celica, the four villagers and the Cipher 4, and Yuzu and Shade are definitely more helpful on Alm's side since his two villagers are Tobin and Gray, who suck at Magic - I finally got Desaix's Dracoshield thanks to Yuzu and that Warrior's Sword, though it took quite a bit of grinding to get strong enough to beat Cipher Legends 2 with only Alm, Tobin, and Gray. Whether you're challenging yourself or not, Yuzu and Shade will be more helpful in Alm's decidedly not-Magic-focused Army. Emma is slightly less helpful for non-challenge runs on Celica's team as she already gets the Whitewings, but RandalLando is very useful as Celica doesn't have a lot of high-Movement non-Fliers until lategame.

I'm more hoping they're popular enough to get Cipher Internationalized, but if they get in to Heroes or other FE games I'll take it.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Huh. Their homelands are really interesting in the context of Archanea. Hoshido and Nohr are lost kingdoms according to Chrom but its possible they're just there during Marth and Alm's time. Maybe the events of Fates even happen in close proximity timewise. Then again it seems very likely Elibe is a different world so they probably are just outrealm travelers.

Well, considering it's headcanon to a lot of players that Archanea was on the other side of Elibe's Dragon Gate, it's not too big a stretch to fit the Cipher 4 into that. I really want them to get Hoshido and Nohr firmly cemented in FE's world in a future game, with a definite tie to at least one game's continent, but I doubt they'll touch the two kingdoms again after Fates received so much backlash.

36 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Emma is canonically 13 or 14, I don't remember the exact number, so it makes sense that she looks so little compared to the others.

13 if I remember right, but is just... That all the art we have seen of the mascot are in the cards, and she gimme the impression of looking a bit older in some of them, making me to forget her actual age, but now, we finally have an art with a more accurate representation of her age, and it took me by surprise  haha

2 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

I'm running a challenge playthrough in Echoes right now where the only characters allowed are Alm, Celica, the four villagers and the Cipher 4, and Yuzu and Shade are definitely more helpful on Alm's side since his two villagers are Tobin and Gray, who suck at Magic - I finally got Desaix's Dracoshield thanks to Yuzu and that Warrior's Sword, though it took quite a bit of grinding to get strong enough to beat Cipher Legends 2 with only Alm, Tobin, and Gray. Whether you're challenging yourself or not, Yuzu and Shade will be more helpful in Alm's decidedly not-Magic-focused Army. Emma is slightly less helpful for non-challenge runs on Celica's team as she already gets the Whitewings, but RandalLando is very useful as Celica doesn't have a lot of high-Movement non-Fliers until lategame.

I'm more hoping they're popular enough to get Cipher Internationalized, but if they get in to Heroes or other FE games I'll take it.

Well, considering it's headcanon to a lot of players that Archanea was on the other side of Elibe's Dragon Gate, it's not too big a stretch to fit the Cipher 4 into that. I really want them to get Hoshido and Nohr firmly cemented in FE's world in a future game, with a definite tie to at least one game's continent, but I doubt they'll touch the two kingdoms again after Fates received so much backlash.

What backlash? Fates sold a tonne. On par, if not more, than Awakening

16 hours ago, Jotari said:

What backlash? Fates sold a tonne. On par, if not more, than Awakening

True, but so many people wouldn't shut up about all the things they did wrong with Fates(Anyone else remember that one hashtag the really butthurt guys tried to make a thing? #TorrentialDownpour or something like that?) that I think they decided to just move on without actually rolling out everything they originally had planned for it(STILL waiting on those Bond Festivals for example).

Just an opinion, btw, don't go quoting me on that.

19 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

I really want them to get Hoshido and Nohr firmly cemented in FE's world in a future game, with a definite tie to at least one game's continent, but I doubt they'll touch the two kingdoms again after Fates received so much backlash.

24 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

-SoulWeaver, a user on Serenes Forest

Ah yes, that would make sense. After all, it's not like Fates is one of the three games represented in Warriors (where they could have chosen any other game), nor is it getting another set in Cipher just this September or anything. Wait...

My view of the matter is that IS doesn't care about what the 'dedicated' fans think as long as the 'casual' fans like something (Fates, in this case). If IS thinks that fans would like another game set in Nohr and Hoshido, then they wouldn't let the opinions of anyone on the Internet stop them from making it. And IS likely had nothing to do with the Scramble maps' localization anyway. But it's just an opinion, so don't go quoting me on that.

BUUUUUT on topic, their inclusion in SoV did help me learn to appreciate the Cipher characters more than I did before (despite me being a fan of Cipher for over a year now, I never much cared for them). That being said, I'm saving my precious eShop money for Warriors so I don't plan on buying them at the moment.

Edited by Lightchao42

Ahhh, these characters.  I made a bit of a Randal-esk gamble in buying the DLCs before they released, but I quickly found my purchase validated.  All four Ciphers have redeeming characteristics and are so useful in battle.  Yuzu is definitely a glass cannon, but is a criting powerhouse.  Shade is a bit malevolent yet is such a pompous diva, I love it - plus her having physic out the gate has bailed me out of quite a few risky gambits in my second playthrough.  Emma and Randal I haven't played much yet - I got them at the end of Celica's route in Act 4, so I can't say much about them.  Emma has the reach to help me get in early strikes and pick off stragglers, and has proven quite useful for me on Celica's route; plus I love how she and Randal kinda act as pseudo-parents of each other, it's just so cute.  Randal I haven't used much yet, but he seems to have good survivability.  Also, I love his voice.  If the Cipher characters were able to support with your army proper, I'd love to see him play off of Saber. ^_^

Out of the four, I like Yuzu the best.  I have a thing for badass lady sword wielders and oddly enough, I like the challenge that her sub-par defensive bases and growths present.  I often gamble with her on the front lines and have her and Shade.  Also, she has the best quote in the game.

" Praise the ration ball "

6 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

True, but so many people wouldn't shut up about all the things they did wrong with Fates(Anyone else remember that one hashtag the really butthurt guys tried to make a thing? #TorrentialDownpour or something like that?) that I think they decided to just move on without actually rolling out everything they originally had planned for it(STILL waiting on those Bond Festivals for example).

We're people on the internet bitching. That's the internet as a whole. Most of the people complaining about Fates are people who bought it in the first month and will likely continue to buy every game they release in the first few months. Don't mistake the vocal crowd for the opinion of the masses. The sales are the only thing IS are going to consider when it comes to popularity. People complained about Awakening equally if not more so than Fates yet Before Awakening was one of the first things they got to working on after the game was finished.

6 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

-SoulWeaver, a user on Serenes Forest

…Normally I'd be ticked that I got trolled. In this particular case, however, I pretty much stuck my head in that guillotine, so touché. Also,

But it's just an opinion, so don't go quoting me on that.

…Bro. That's my line. My get-out-of-arguments free card that only works about 68% of the time. I mean, I guess it's not trademarked or nothing, but still.

Ah yes, that would make sense. After all, it's not like Fates is one of the three games represented in Warriors (where they could have chosen any other game), nor is it getting another set in Cipher just this September or anything. Wait...

My view of the matter is that IS doesn't care about what the 'dedicated' fans think as long as the 'casual' fans like something (Fates, in this case). If IS thinks that fans would like another game set in Nohr and Hoshido, then they wouldn't let the opinions of anyone on the Internet stop them from making it. And IS likely had nothing to do with the Scramble maps' localization anyway. But it's just an opinion, so don't go quoting me on that.

8 minutes ago, Jotari said:

We're people on the internet (Censored because SoulWeaver is one of those guys). That's the internet as a whole. Most of the people complaining about Fates are people who bought it in the first month and will likely continue to buy every game they release in the first few months. Don't mistake the vocal crowd for the opinion of the masses. The sales are the only thing IS are going to consider when it comes to popularity. People complained about Awakening equally if not more so than Fates yet Before Awakening was one of the first things they got to working on after the game was finished.

…Eh, alright, ya got me. I'll concede this duel to you gents.

BUUUUUT on topic, their inclusion in SoV did help me learn to appreciate the Cipher characters more than I did before (despite me being a fan of Cipher for over a year now, I never much cared for them). That being said, I'm saving my precious eShop money for Warriors so I don't plan on buying them at the moment.

The difficulty I've had with the Cipher 4 is that at best they're mediocre in the TCG - Emma is the only one I've seen used at all by anyone but me, and that's just so they can Bond her and use her Rescue Bond Skill plus she has 30 Support Value. It's been terribly frustrating to try and get people to be excited about Cipher having OCs because said OCs are just so bad, though part of that is because they have to try and give the Lord characters the good cards(which they fail at sometimes - coughSeries5Roycough). Thankfully Yuzu makes a decent Main Character for a Whitewings budget deck.